Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

If you really want to know what the armors look like, you could always watch a stream. This - http://www.twitch.tv/risingfungaming - guy is playing and doing translations at the same time (he plays starting at 4 PM PST most days). Here are a couple of screen shots I pulled from his stream earlier today -

I suppose you could go out of your way to have your characters wear silly stuff (note the cat ears), but most of the good armors seem to look a lot like the top image there.

Edit - Here's a group shot (with no helmets) -

Refried Hero fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Refried Hero posted:

If you really want to know what the armors look like, you could always watch a stream. This - http://www.twitch.tv/risingfungaming - guy is playing and doing translations at the same time (he plays starting at 4 PM PST most days). Here are a couple of screen shots I pulled from his stream earlier today -

Xenoblade X has a first person mode! :eyepop:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A lot of the armor in this game looks like it came outta Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and I don't know if I'm okay with that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

here's some normal looking armor now stop posting

"where is my chin?"- Main hero guy on the right

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQW9QOMaEHo&list=PL3ewBgqfmqeCy_BWBd3kzp2scdEmim3aa idle screen soundtrack snippets with flythroughs.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

"where is my taint?"- Main hero guy on the right

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Just picked this up today. I got on the Xenoblade bandwagon quite late - I played the first third, maybe first half of the game last fall before getting a bit burned out. Figured I'd just wait for this to come out, and here it is. I didn't read anything about the game (think I saw a trailer a couple months ago), just picked it up blind, I'm only about four hours in, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Couple random thoughts (minor spoilers, I guess?):

- Environments are absolutely fantastic. Really feels like exploring an uncharted planet. I've been playing GTA5 on the PC so I'm a bit spoiled, but what they lack in fidelity, completely make up for in terms of environment and design. Your character moves at a nice clip, so running and jumping around is even more enjoyable than the first. Character, weapon, and armor models are likewise great, only the faces are a bit lacking, though I guess I'm not a huge fan of the art style, either. Load times are quite short.
- I'm not a fan of level scaling and whatnot in open world games - love seeing powerful enemies and stuff I can't do yet. It's fantastic seeing powerful monsters and treasure chests I can't open yet.
- Getting rid of healing spells really smooths the tempo for battles. It's a lot more enjoyable to just hack, slash, and debuff away rather than worrying about carrying along a dedicated healer. Right now battles are a bit too easy - everything around my level gets destroyed, everything above my level likewise destroys me, so I don't know how the challenge will scale as the game progresses.
- The pacing of the story isn't great. There's a long section at the beginning where you lose control for nearly an hour as the game world is explained, and it's not very interesting - just talking heads. There's a couple points where you can choose your character's reaction, but they don't seem to do much. I'm not far into the game, but the characters aren't really doing it for me. The 13-year-old is particularly annoying in that "13-year-old in JRPGs" kinda way. I don't know how the story will progress, but the main complaints about the game on the Amazon reviews seem to be with people a bit disappointed by the less engaging story.
- The quality of life improvements just keep coming. Fast travel is fantastic, the map on the Wii gamepad is really fun, and there's a status text that will tell you where you are in relation to the enemy (back, front, side) that takes the guesswork out of that. One strange change is there's no "aggro" ring, so you have to look to see who the enemy is targeting, which isn't a big deal, since most of the enemies are big enough to tell where they're looking.
- The game really could use some more tutorials. It's quite complicated (OK, that's an understatement) and the only reference is the in-game manual, which takes a bit to load. If I didn't play the last game I would be completely lost. As is, I've had to reference the Wiki to get a handle on exactly what's going on. I'm sure in the long run the depth will be a good thing, but it's taken quite a bit of external reading to keep me updated.
- I don't like a lot of the music, especially the ones with lyrics or grunts or whatever. The vocals are uniformly pretty terrible. It's a bit too loud and in your face, would prefer more relaxing exploration music.
- The fonts are too small! This is a huuuge bummer for me as I wanted to play it on a Gamepad, but the menus are too fuzzy. Be careful if you have a small TV.

If you liked Xenoblade for the story, characters, or music, this may be hit or miss. If you liked it for everything else, particularly exploration, it's a huge improvement in almost every area and a lot of fun.

NicelyNice fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 4, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think there's a button or option somewhere you can use to turn on aggro indication. They replaced it with laser lines, apparently, I've seen it on streams sometimes. No clue how though.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

NicelyNice posted:

- Environments are absolutely fantastic. Really feels like exploring an uncharted planet. I've been playing GTA5 on the PC so I'm a bit spoiled, but what they lack in fidelity, completely make up for in terms of environment and design. Your character moves at a nice clip, so running and jumping around is even more enjoyable than the first.

I don't even know if it was faster but I definitely jumped pretty much everywhere in Xenoblade, those jump noises are etched into my mind at this point.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think, and could be very wrong, that somewhere in the settings there was an option to alter the font size. I remember there being a crazy amount of options for the display.

I'm in this for the everything else part, so now it's just all waiting 'till I can play this thing. :allears:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh man that looks cool

NicelyNice posted:

Just picked this up today. I got on the Xenoblade bandwagon quite late - I played the first third, maybe first half of the game last fall before getting a bit burned out. Figured I'd just wait for this to come out, and here it is. I didn't read anything about the game (think I saw a trailer a couple months ago), just picked it up blind, I'm only about four hours in, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Couple random thoughts (minor spoilers, I guess?):

- Environments are absolutely fantastic. Really feels like exploring an uncharted planet. I've been playing GTA5 on the PC so I'm a bit spoiled, but what they lack in fidelity, completely make up for in terms of environment and design. Your character moves at a nice clip, so running and jumping around is even more enjoyable than the first. Character, weapon, and armor models are likewise great, only the faces are a bit lacking, though I guess I'm not a huge fan of the art style, either. Load times are quite short.
- I'm not a fan of level scaling and whatnot in open world games - love seeing powerful enemies and stuff I can't do yet. It's fantastic seeing powerful monsters and treasure chests I can't open yet.
- Getting rid of healing spells really smooths the tempo for battles. It's a lot more enjoyable to just hack, slash, and debuff away rather than worrying about carrying along a dedicated healer. Right now battles are a bit too easy - everything around my level gets destroyed, everything above my level likewise destroys me, so I don't know how the challenge will scale as the game progresses.
- The pacing of the story isn't great. There's a long section at the beginning where you lose control for nearly an hour as the game world is explained, and it's not very interesting - just talking heads. There's a couple points where you can choose your character's reaction, but they don't seem to do much. I'm not far into the game, but the characters aren't really doing it for me. The 13-year-old is particularly annoying in that "13-year-old in JRPGs" kinda way. I don't know how the story will progress, but the main complaints about the game on the Amazon reviews seem to be with people a bit disappointed by the less engaging story.
- The quality of life improvements just keep coming. Fast travel is fantastic, the map on the Wii gamepad is really fun, and there's a status text that will tell you where you are in relation to the enemy (back, front, side) that takes the guesswork out of that. One strange change is there's no "aggro" ring, so you have to look to see who the enemy is targeting, which isn't a big deal, since most of the enemies are big enough to tell where they're looking.
- The game really could use some more tutorials. It's quite complicated (OK, that's an understatement) and the only reference is the in-game manual, which takes a bit to load. If I didn't play the last game I would be completely lost. As is, I've had to reference the Wiki to get a handle on exactly what's going on. I'm sure in the long run the depth will be a good thing, but it's taken quite a bit of external reading to keep me updated.
- I don't like a lot of the music, especially the ones with lyrics or grunts or whatever. The vocals are uniformly pretty terrible. It's a bit too loud and in your face, would prefer more relaxing exploration music.
- The fonts are too small! This is a huuuge bummer for me as I wanted to play it on a Gamepad, but the menus are too fuzzy. Be careful if you have a small TV.

If you liked Xenoblade for the story, characters, or music, this may be hit or miss. If you liked it for everything else, particularly exploration, it's a huge improvement in almost every area and a lot of fun.

thanks for the feedback dude. so outside of the weird pacing, what do you think about the story? any good?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Are the rest of the nopon okay or are they all insufferable nerds like Not Riki? Also have the quicktimes changed much or the new affinity boosts just more of the same?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RareAcumen posted:

A lot of the armor in this game looks like it came outta Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and I don't know if I'm okay with that.

Alkaiser? :eyepop:

GOTY.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think there's a button or option somewhere you can use to turn on aggro indication. They replaced it with laser lines, apparently, I've seen it on streams sometimes. No clue how though.

I see these pop up with Lin occasionally - I haven't touched her class, but I thought it was related to one of her abilities because I haven't seen it in any other situation and there's no menu option for it.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think, and could be very wrong, that somewhere in the settings there was an option to alter the font size. I remember there being a crazy amount of options for the display.

I'm in this for the everything else part, so now it's just all waiting 'till I can play this thing. :allears:

There's a lot of options to turn UI elements on or off (and a TON of camera options), but unfortunately not a way to change much of the elements that are there. It's playable on the Gamepad if you're just cruising around battling, but equipping new equipment or arts takes a bit too much squinting to be enjoyable.

Fungah! posted:

thanks for the feedback dude. so outside of the weird pacing, what do you think about the story? any good?

So far at least, it's a lot less JRPG and a bit more "serious." Seems alright, so far, though I'm also lot less critical of plot and writing in games I play in Japanese, since my reading comprehension is around high school level, which is right around the last time I actually thought a JRPG was well-written. So far the main story (which hasn't really kicked into gear) has taken a backseat to world building and character-based subplots. I think this'll end up being an individual thing - the nerds writing Amazon reviews seem to be pretty salty that their JRPGs are aping the plot structure of Western RPGs.

Crabtree posted:

Are the rest of the nopon okay or are they all insufferable nerds like Not Riki? Also have the quicktimes changed much or the new affinity boosts just more of the same?

Haven't run into anyone but the nerd. He's pretty insufferable. And the quicktimes are pretty much hit "B" as the circles align, which I think is the same thing. The more interesting mechanic is party members telling you to use certain arts, which then give a bonus.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

NicelyNice posted:

- Getting rid of healing spells really smooths the tempo for battles. It's a lot more enjoyable to just hack, slash, and debuff away rather than worrying about carrying along a dedicated healer. Right now battles are a bit too easy - everything around my level gets destroyed

Roughly how long does it take to get to this point? I recall a clip in one of the promo vids of the MC solo fighting like a level 3 pig with his gun and doing absolutely pitiful damage, like the healthbar was barely going down. Are gun auto-attacks just poo poo at doing good damage? Did it just look like a slog since he wasn't using Arts?

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Vanrushal posted:

Roughly how long does it take to get to this point? I recall a clip in one of the promo vids of the MC solo fighting like a level 3 pig with his gun and doing absolutely pitiful damage, like the healthbar was barely going down. Are gun auto-attacks just poo poo at doing good damage? Did it just look like a slog since he wasn't using Arts?

The combat starts out at a good pace from the onset of the game - never a slog like the early levels of an MMO or anything like that.
Another thing about the combat I really like is the combination of melee and ranged weapons. Using a melee art will auto-switch you to that weapon and vice-versa for ranged, feels like it adds quite a bit of variety and movement to combat and the switches are handled very smoothly. It's cool to start out shooting, dive in for a melee attack, then pull back while your arts recharge. Adds a very nice rhythm to combat

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'd really like to know how differently each class plays from the others. One thing I liked about XBC was that every character had their own little gimmick, for the most part, that made them seem distinct from the others.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there a decent, translated write up of all the classes?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

NicelyNice posted:

So far at least, it's a lot less JRPG and a bit more "serious." Seems alright, so far, though I'm also lot less critical of plot and writing in games I play in Japanese, since my reading comprehension is around high school level, which is right around the last time I actually thought a JRPG was well-written. So far the main story (which hasn't really kicked into gear) has taken a backseat to world building and character-based subplots. I think this'll end up being an individual thing - the nerds writing Amazon reviews seem to be pretty salty that their JRPGs are aping the plot structure of Western RPGs.
I'm not familiar enough with the JRPG formula to know what you mean by this. Could you elaborate a bit?

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Inverness posted:

I'm not familiar enough with the JRPG formula to know what you mean by this. Could you elaborate a bit?

I'll spoiler tag this, just in case - details the structure of the plot, no actual plot details revealed:

The game is no longer a linear, one-way journey through areas - the game world opens up from the beginning. It's more akin to something in World of Warcraft where you pick up a quest chain from a central hub and then heading out into the world rather than a JRPG where you're guided along a path. The story missions aren't driven by events, but rather "missions" undertaken by your characters. Your protagonist is silent and passive, and there's only really two story characters in your party (one who is 13-years-old), so even in the main story missions, it never feels like much character development is happening.

The story missions are also gated by side-quests and exploration tasks which you have to undertake to progress the story, so you're kind of forced to take part in the more grindy, MMO aspects of the game to see the main game. As such, the main quest (I don't even know what that is yet, 10 hours into the game) takes a backseat quite often. In the first game, I enjoyed doing side-quests and exploration when I wanted to bring my level up for a boss. It's quite annoying to have them forced on you to progress the story in this game, especially given the repetitive nature of the exploration/collection/monster hunting tasks. The world is also huge and some of the quest hints for collection quests are vague, so you just kind of hope to run into the correct items.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NicelyNice posted:

I'll spoiler tag this, just in case - details the structure of the plot, no actual plot details revealed:

The game is no longer a linear, one-way journey through areas - the game world opens up from the beginning. It's more akin to something in World of Warcraft where you pick up a quest chain from a central hub and then heading out into the world rather than a JRPG where you're guided along a path. The story missions aren't driven by events, but rather "missions" undertaken by your characters. Your protagonist is silent and passive, and there's only really two story characters in your party (one who is 13-years-old), so even in the main story missions, it never feels like much character development is happening.

The story missions are also gated by side-quests and exploration tasks which you have to undertake to progress the story, so you're kind of forced to take part in the more grindy, MMO aspects of the game to see the main game. As such, the main quest (I don't even know what that is yet, 10 hours into the game) takes a backseat quite often. In the first game, I enjoyed doing side-quests and exploration when I wanted to bring my level up for a boss. It's quite annoying to have them forced on you to progress the story in this game, especially given the repetitive nature of the exploration/collection/monster hunting tasks. The world is also huge and some of the quest hints for collection quests are vague, so you just kind of hope to run into the correct items.

lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NicelyNice posted:

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen with this game.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I'm playing through xenoblade chronicles for the 3ds right now and am trying to avoid spoilers. So far it's an amazing game. I just made it to colony six reconstruction. I was wondering if I should do all of the quests as they open up and talk to everyone to build up affinity all the time. Do you have to play as all the characters as the main character to level up their affinity with each other?
Oh and this is the best RPG I've ever played. I love it so much.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RC Cola posted:

I'm playing through xenoblade chronicles for the 3ds right now and am trying to avoid spoilers. So far it's an amazing game. I just made it to colony six reconstruction. I was wondering if I should do all of the quests as they open up and talk to everyone to build up affinity all the time. Do you have to play as all the characters as the main character to level up their affinity with each other?
Oh and this is the best RPG I've ever played. I love it so much.

If you do every single sidequest as it becomes available, you'll quickly end up over levelled. If that doesn't bother you, sidequest away. Just be aware that there are a metric gently caress-ton of sidequests and you'll be in danger of burning yourself out if you don't pace yourself. However, walking around and building up affinity by talking to people has no draw-backs whatsoever and even unlocks new quests!

Characters build affinity by fighting together and being in the same party when you accept quests. If you want to build affinity with everyone then yes, you are going to have to switch your party around a lot.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Silver Falcon posted:

If you do every single sidequest as it becomes available, you'll quickly end up over levelled. If that doesn't bother you, sidequest away. Just be aware that there are a metric gently caress-ton of sidequests and you'll be in danger of burning yourself out if you don't pace yourself. However, walking around and building up affinity by talking to people has no draw-backs whatsoever and even unlocks new quests!

Characters build affinity by fighting together and being in the same party when you accept quests. If you want to build affinity with everyone then yes, you are going to have to switch your party around a lot.

Do I find out what bionis and mechonis are?
Is it normal for some bosses to kick your rear end?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RC Cola posted:

Do I find out what bionis and mechonis are?
Is it normal for some bosses to kick your rear end?

Bionis and Mechonis are... giant robots that used to fight but stopped when they killed each other. Bionis is where the humans live; Mechonis is where the Mechon come from. Didn't you pay attention to the into cinematic?

And yes, though you might get your rear end kicked less if you switch up your party and employ different tactics.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Silver Falcon posted:

Bionis and Mechonis are... giant robots that used to fight but stopped when they killed each other. Bionis is where the humans live; Mechonis is where the Mechon come from. Didn't you pay attention to the into cinematic?

And yes, though you might get your rear end kicked less if you switch up your party and employ different tactics.

I thought there might be something else behind it. Like that it was all mythos or something. And I only have 4 party members so far. All I'm really seeing is switching Reyen and Dunbar out for each other as a tank. I'm also a few levels under leveled.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Get rid of Sharla. Trust me on this.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

RC Cola posted:

I thought there might be something else behind it. Like that it was all mythos or something. And I only have 4 party members so far. All I'm really seeing is switching Reyen and Dunbar out for each other as a tank. I'm also a few levels under leveled.

You can remove Dunban's aggro-generating arts from his bar and use him as a pure damage dealer if you like. Or have him and Reyn trading aggro, although if you're playing as Shulk and trying to use his directional arts that can be a little annoying I guess.

I'm at the same point as you (having played the Wii version before though) and I'm playing as Dunban with Reyn and Shulk. I got some light armour with slots, made a bunch of agility gems so Dunban just dodges everything that's thrown at him, and I'm holding aggro by just using his aggro-stealing move on Reyn a lot. I forget what it's called, it has a blue flower petal icon.

Edit: I was among the people saying "ditch Sharla as soon as you can" before, but having got to that point myself now I realise I'd forgotten how fragile Dunban can be until you get enough agility on him for consistent dodging. Still probably better to ditch Sharla and just not let Dunban use his aggro-generating arts until he can survive the attention

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 5, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

NicelyNice posted:

Honestly, I am okay with this for the most part. I often find myself getting lost in side quests (in a good way) with these kinds of games. I like being able to continue my main story line as I please. I also know that there are plenty of ways to "do this wrong" though. I don't think that I can form a reasonable opinion about that without playing it though. Streams and blogs are not enough.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Currently watching a stream of this via Kotaku East Live and this game looks FANTASTIC. :stare:

Edit: Oh man this game has hip hop style music with a JRPG rift in the middle of it what is this game!

Kirios fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 5, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kirios posted:

Currently watching a stream of this via Kotaku East Live and this game looks FANTASTIC. :stare:

Edit: Oh man this game has hip hop style music with a JRPG rift in the middle of it what is this game!

An anime game?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

RC Cola posted:

There is more to it than that, but at the same time, Bionis and Mechonis do literally exist, and they are, in fact, giant humanoids that apparently killed each other in battle. You can take that at face value.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You can also see Mechonis in the distance in most places.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You can also see Mechonis in the distance in most places.

also it's on the box

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NicelyNice posted:

hmm, ok. that's a little disappointing but about what i figured they'd do. thanks dude

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

NicelyNice posted:

I dunno, it kinda makes sense to me. Part of the game is charting an uncharted planet and the characters are apart of a group that's suppose to do just that. Is it the best way to incorporate that? Probably not, but I can see where the design decisions came from.

I've heard the story opens up after the first 5-6 chapters, which are mainly suppose to be more character and world build driven, but I could be wrong. I'm avoiding streams and such to not spoiler the story for myself so I have only the impressions of other people playing to work off of.

The original Xenoblade's linear fashion of progressing through the world worked because it was a journey. Now it's discovery and rebuilding one of the last remnants of humanity.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

NicelyNice posted:

Yeah, a bit disappointing but figured it'd go this way and I'm honestly ready to disregard the story a bit if it means way more gameplay to be had.

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013
As far as story goes, I'll wait to hear what people are saying after they've beaten it. Xenoblade Chronicles was great at the beginning, somewhat simple around the 40-55% mark, then mindblowingly good for the last 30-40% of the game. If X is shorter in narrative thats not entirely a bad thing, since XBC was loving long and many people never finished it.

The silent protagonist thing will come with some obvious drawbacks, but if the gameplay makes up for it then I call it a wash. I'm just hoping that the story that is there ends up being redeeming in some way.

Either way, the game looks amazing and I'm really looking forward to exploring the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I swear every time I look I see another reason for why changing Doll to Skell is stupid and wasteful.

• Locked thread