Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Now apparently being written by Simon Pegg and Doug Jung. Didn't see that one coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

NarkyBark posted:

Now apparently being written by Simon Pegg and Doug Jung. Didn't see that one coming.

Whiteknighting for that pos Into Darkness must have paid off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm suddenly slightly optimistic.

I've never seen any of Doug Jung's movies, thoughts on him?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Simon Pegg's scifi screenwriting experience consists mostly of various invectives against the Star Wars prequels.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Whiteknighting for that pos Into Darkness must have paid off.

Yeah he's a total SJW for adequate films.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Relevant; earlier this week Spock was rushed to hospital with severe chest pains and has, sadly, died today.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Well, his work here was done.

RIP Mr. Nimoy. Made a lot of good things and seemed like a thoughtful, nice guy. I'll always remember him as the "In Search Of..." guy, and probably not as director of 3 Men and a Baby.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

korusan posted:

Relevant; earlier this week Spock was rushed to hospital with severe chest pains and has, sadly, died today.

This is incredibly sad news. Really upset over his passing. Leonard Nimoy was an amazing person and incredibly talented. Spock was such an iconic character.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Very sad news. Just the other day I was thinking about how I'd really love to meet the guy before his time is up, and tell him what an inspiration he's been.

Live long and prosper, Spock.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well that's quite poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What a quote to leave behind. :(

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Was that before or after he called for the ambulance?

Because, wow.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Cingulate posted:

Was that before or after he called for the ambulance?

Because, wow.

After. He tweeted that from the hospital. :(

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

What a quote to leave behind. :(

I'm still crying. He was my favourite actor in Star Trek. It's true that always the best leave us.RIP Mr. Spock.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

"He's not really dead. As long as we remember him."

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Right now in Trek news;

Grace Lee Whitney is dead at 85
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/tv/grace-lee-whitney-yeoman-rand-original-star-trek-dies-n353001

New movie to be called 'Star Trek Beyond'
http://trekmovie.com/2015/04/21/breaking-star-trek-xiii-to-be-titled-star-trek-beyond/

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Aaargh. I was just thinking it'd be cool for a Trek movie (continuing the naming convention from the prior film) to be titled Star Trek Beyond Imagination (or as an alternative Star Trek Beyond Reason). It's kind of neat the actual production had sorta the same idea, but it's frustrating because it's SO close but, you know, no cigar. Also it just plain sounds weird, like cutting off a sentence in the middle. Beyond WHAT?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Beyond the darkness they just left.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So this is gonna be the same premise as batman beyond, right? I think that joke was already made.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I really hope that Kirk is flippant and arrogant and in the end learns what it truly means to be a starship captain. That'd be a really good movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Pegg seems to have a big hand in the writing so hopefully they'll acknowledge they've basically done that twice now and move on. I'm sure Chris Pine must feel like he's done the exact same character twice over now, too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'd like a movie where the villain attacks Earth. They need to up the stakes for this one.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Since they kind of "beat" the militarization of star fleet in Into Darkness, I'd prefer it if the next one wasn't so much naval battles in space. I'd love it if the entire movie takes place on some weirdo TOS style planet-of-the-week with some kind of contrived moral conundrum involving robots and aliens as the central conflict. Like take that wondrous exploration aspect of Trek and run with it.

Basically JohnJames CarterKirk of MarsWhatever, but he brings most of his own ensemble.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still think a comedy in the vein of the Tribbles episodes or Star Trek IV The One With The Whales would be a good choice.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

With Pegg writing and Orci gone I wouldn't be surprised if it veered away from the topical post 9/11 commentary stuff from Into Darkness. I'd really love to see Star Trek do a TOS style weird sci-fi story, but given it is still a tentpole release for a major studio I'd be shocked if it still didn't end with Earth being imperiled at some point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Simon Pegg:

quote:

[This one is] more about spirit. It's very easy these days, in the kind of post-modern era, to get bogged down in self referentiality or thinking, "Oh, let's put Harry Mudd in."

In a way I felt like if anything -- and I really, really am very proud of "Into Darkness" -- but I feel like the thing that for me was kind of jolting was that it kind of wanted to embrace itself a little too much, rather than take off and do what "Star Trek" did, which is to go off into the depths of the galaxy.

It was about referencing not only a previous film but also kind of hanging onto the coast of Earth a little bit. So for me it's now about the spirit of adventure and exploration and also, in modern terms, just how would that be for people, to be away for that amount of time and that kind of stuff. We're trying to evolve the story at the same time as not letting it go.

["Star Trek" is] a beloved franchise and we're very aware of that. And also it's also fun. These days people kind of think, "Oh, things have got to be serious." You've got to see a lot of soul searching and what if you saw this character being all dark?

"Star Trek" was very, very optimistic -- it was all about forward motion and the human condition. I feel like that's what it needs to be.

He also said they haven't even seen the Orci Trek 3 script.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Of course it'd be cool if 'Beyond' referred to going beyond the faux-utopia of Starfleet, meeting up with V'Ger and establishing The Culture. Into Darkness got alot of stick but it was one of the rare times Star Trek really dealt head on with authoritarian militarism that's always been implicit in the background of the series, I'd love to see a film which actually dealt with how they try to resolve the issue on a structural level rather than dealing with the Bad Admiral of the Week and assuming it'll never be a problem again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I swear to God By the memory of Kahless the Unforgettable, if you nerds don't shut up about The Culture being what star trek should be about, it will be A Good Day to Die.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Shanty posted:

Since they kind of "beat" the militarization of star fleet in Into Darkness, I'd prefer it if the next one wasn't so much naval battles in space.

What? There hardly was any space battles stuff in ID. Which sucked balls.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Snak posted:

I swear to God By the memory of Kahless the Unforgettable, if you nerds don't shut up about The Culture being what star trek should be about, it will be A Good Day to Die.

It's the most obvious point of comparison and one Star Trek really leaves itself open to. Star Trek's idealism is paper thin and constantly undermines itself.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trump posted:

What? There hardly was any space battles stuff in ID. Which sucked balls.

Into Darkness was all about space warfare and the first movie was basically that story about sending AK47s back in time to win the Civil War.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's the most obvious point of comparison and one Star Trek really leaves itself open to. Star Trek's idealism is paper thin and constantly undermines itself.

But Trek is not about those things.

Edit: It might be an obvious point of comparison if you are focused on the "Tech of Trek", but I would say the most obvious point of comparison is Horatio Hornblower or Master and Commander. Trek is about good people doing the right thing. It's definitely not about some crazy high-tech society run by computers or whatever.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 5, 2015

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

computer parts posted:

Into Darkness was all about space warfare and the first movie was basically that story about sending AK47s back in time to win the Civil War.

That doesn't really adress my point. There was plenty of pew pew, but besides an atmospheric chase and a very short battle scene in space, there was no ship to ship combat.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Snak posted:

But Trek is not about those things.

Edit: It might be an obvious point of comparison if you are focused on the "Tech of Trek", but I would say the most obvious point of comparison is Horatio Hornblower or Master and Commander. Trek is about good people doing the right thing. It's definitely not about some crazy high-tech society run by computers or whatever.

I wasn't referring so much to the tech as the general ideology and structure of the societies they represent. Star Trek might have talked a good talk about doing the right thing, but it presented it from the perspective of a society which was not only deeply unequal, but couldn't even acknowledge how unequal it was, which is why Picard and Sisko continually find new Admirals and factions of Starfleet to butt heads with but never solve the reason of why they exist. The end of DS9 is the only time I can think of where the protagonists ever go off the rails and directly oppose the legal power structure of the system itself as well (with Bashir and O'Brien vs Section 31), every other time it's presented as a case that the only thing that can stop a Bad Man with Institutional Authority is a Good Man with Institutional Authority. When that guy wants to cut open Data's brain, everyone, including Data himself, is willing to allow the vivisection of a clearly sapient being if Picard loses the case because it's the law. No one ever questions how such a situation could even be allowed to occur or how such a creep could ever become head of a scientific institution.

Then of course you've got Voyager where Janeway goes off the rails or does something deeply unpleasant about once a season and her orders, no matter how insane or unethical are always obeyed because She's The Captain. Like when she gives biological superweapons to the Borg every member of the crew is saying 'this is literally the worst idea anyone has had, ever' and they still go along with it because the chain of command is sacrosanct.

I didn't mean to claim The Culture is the only idea anyone should have about a utopian society, but it'd be nice if the series at least examined its own premises a little and actually wrote about what they mean, which is something The Culture series does very well

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you ignore Roddenberry's assertions that, by TNG erra, the Federation was a real utopia, a big theme of Trek, including TOS, is that civilization is a struggle. It's not possible to build a Utopian then move onto the next thing. People still have to keep being good people, and seek out injustice and try to make it right. In TOS, a lot of the hosed up planets visited by the Enterprise were hosed up by Starfleet. The Enterprise needs to go out, dock at strange ports, and learn from new life, and civilizations. Not just from what they offer us, but from our differences.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trump posted:

That doesn't really adress my point. There was plenty of pew pew, but besides an atmospheric chase and a very short battle scene in space, there was no ship to ship combat.

Both films are about combat even if it's not explicitly shown on screen.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also the last film which centred on space battles was Nemesis. Turns out 'his spaceship's power level is maximum' does not make an interesting film.

Snak posted:

Yeah, if you ignore Roddenberry's assertions that, by TNG erra, the Federation was a real utopia, a big theme of Trek, including TOS, is that civilization is a struggle. It's not possible to build a Utopian then move onto the next thing. People still have to keep being good people, and seek out injustice and try to make it right. In TOS, a lot of the hosed up planets visited by the Enterprise were hosed up by Starfleet. The Enterprise needs to go out, dock at strange ports, and learn from new life, and civilizations. Not just from what they offer us, but from our differences.

The thing is though, that through all of TNG and Voyager alien species are portrayed as inferior, uncivilized or backwards and it's the duty of the crew to fix their shortcomings for them or otherwise suffer with dignity. I cannot think of a single example where the aliens actually teach the Federation something, though I can name a good five species off the top of my head whose sole character trait is 'vulgar and stupid', even Worf is treated with patronising contempt practically ever time he does his job on TNG because he's clearly still an irrational savage beneath his human training.

I would love to see Star Trek do something along the lines you described and it sounds like the film might, but aside from a few high points in TOS and DS9 that's not what the show has been about.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I want a Trek film where they have to fight the fat game shop proprietor arch need and his D&D Group from the Gamma quadrant.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Also the last film which centred on space battles was Nemesis. Turns out 'his spaceship's power level is maximum' does not make an interesting film.

The thing is though, that through all of TNG and Voyager alien species are portrayed as inferior, uncivilized or backwards and it's the duty of the crew to fix their shortcomings for them or otherwise suffer with dignity. I cannot think of a single example where the aliens actually teach the Federation something, though I can name a good five species off the top of my head whose sole character trait is 'vulgar and stupid', even Worf is treated with patronising contempt practically ever time he does his job on TNG because he's clearly still an irrational savage beneath his human training.

I would love to see Star Trek do something along the lines you described and it sounds like the film might, but aside from a few high points in TOS and DS9 that's not what the show has been about.

Well yeah. I mean, I recently went a long rant in the Star Trek TVIV thread about how Trek's only prayer for quality is a return to TOS ideas, since the politics of the TNG era are just completely unsalvageable.

Also, I agree with you about space battles. Trek Space Battles have never been the high point of Trek, and most of them are boring garbage. Again, in the TVIV thread I pointed out that the best space battles in Trek are "Balance of Terror", "Wrath of Khan" and parts of the Dominion War. The first two are actually battles of wits, and the Dominion War is given weight by its implications in the larger story.

There's an entire franchise for people who like space battles, it's called Star Wars. If you want to see lots of ships fly around in space and shoot at each other, that poo poo is the bomb. If you want to boldly see people go explore the galaxy, watch star trek. Don't watch Star Wars and bitch that they aren't looking for enough new life and civilizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

computer parts posted:

Both films are about combat even if it's not explicitly shown on screen.

But I want it to be shown on screen, as you very well know. Can you shut up now?

• Locked thread