Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

wateroverfire posted:

Everything depends on the specifics.

If it's a raise to $15/hour then..

Some businesses would not be viable.

Some activities within a business would stop being worth it.

Some businesses would raise prices. It's possible some businesses would have lower margins for awhile but over time every business would find ways to recoup, because the fantasy where you stick it to the boss and she takes it and likes it doesn't exist in reality.

But if it's a raise to $9.25 or whatever I doubt anyone is going to give a poo poo other than some token grumbling.
Which is why almost all minimum wage hikes phase in gradually over time, so that businesses have time to adjust. Even the $15 minimum in Seattle isn't happening overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

It depends on how much of a hike we're talking about. Think of your own life as a for instance - maybe there are some things you slack off on addressing because it'd be sort of inconvenient to do , but if not dealing with them became enough of a pain in the rear end you'd do it. It's the same principal.

This sounds very arbitrary. Why does this happen at $15/hr, and not $11 or $7.25 or $5.15?

And why do surveys of the effects of minimum wage show no significant disemployment effect?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wateroverfire posted:

Everything depends on the specifics.

If it's a raise to $15/hour then..

Some businesses would not be viable.

Name one.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

VitalSigns posted:

This sounds very arbitrary. Why does this happen at $15/hr, and not $11 or $7.25 or $5.15?

And why do surveys of the effects of minimum wage show no significant disemployment effect?

because you need to think ~rationally~ about it instead of looking at employment studies on min wage effects

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
His argument is dependent on raising it to $15 dollars across the country at the same time, not some more moderate version with waivers for certain states that is also more gradual. If Mississippi got a waiver for a $11 dollar minimum wage it would soak up most of his complaints.

Ultimately, it would probably be better to allow it to increase gradually federally to $15 then give waivers to certain much lower income states on a provisional basis. In addition, you can manage costs to business with tax credits, which government can easily fund with its additional revenue. It is quite doable.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 5, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Nope. A key thing to realize is that just like any other cost increase, say oil or electricity, we understand the long term effect is that businesses will pass on costs to consumers, not just suddenly decide to live with lower profits.

No, businesses do accept lower profit margins anytime that raising prices would be more than offset by a fall in sales.

Your analysis would only be true if profits averaged out to zero over the long term.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Which is why almost all minimum wage hikes phase in gradually over time, so that businesses have time to adjust. Even the $15 minimum in Seattle isn't happening overnight.

Isn't phasing in a min wage hike over several years basically a way to devalue it on the down low?

paragon1 posted:

Name one.

Small restaurants in innumerable towns in the U.S., for one. A lot of them already skirt the law because if they didn't they'd be broke.

VitalSigns posted:

From upthread.

wateroverfire posted:

What the balls. I thought I was reading GBS for a minute and it was glorious.

Most of the research shows that small increases in the minimum wage have had no or very small employment effects, or employment effects only among teenagers, or etc. Most economists would agree that a small increase in the minimum wage woudl have very little if any ill effect while disagreeing, as some links posted here showed, about whether it would work as anti poverty policy.

There are limits to what can gleaned from the natural experiments economists have had to work with. Minimum wage increases in the U.S. have historically been small and infrequent - basically they've been inflation adjustments that didn't actually track inflation. There's a strong argument that in many places in the U.S. the legal minimum wage isn't an effective wage floor. If that's the case, then of course it would be expected that small increases would have negligable effects on the labor market.

However, $15/hour is close to the median individual income in the U.S. Something like 40-45% of workers would be affected by a $15 federal minimum. There is nothing in the research that can speak, empirically, to the question of what would happen if the U.S. went to a real minimum wage of $15. According to theory it should cause a mix of unemployment among the poorest and least skilled, and price increases. Will it, though? Who knows. In rich urban markets like, say, San Francisco, maybe not as much. But in the parts of America that don't have that sort of wealth, or that price level, yeah probably.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Ultimately, it would probably be better to allow it to increase gradually federally to $15 then give waivers to certain much lower income states on a provisional basis. In addition, you can manage costs to business with tax credits, which government can easily fund with its additional revenue. It is quite doable.

LOL sure maybe if you're playing SimCity or something.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

wateroverfire posted:

Small restaurants in innumerable towns in the U.S., for one. A lot of them already skirt the law because if they didn't they'd be broke.

Don't most restaurants skirt minimum wage anyway by having most of their staff making up wage revenue in tips?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

No, businesses do accept lower profit margins anytime that raising prices would be more than offset by a fall in sales.

Anyway in this case a business could increase prices because demand is going to be higher.

It may cause some moderate price inflation in that sense, but it isn't really an issue for the US.

wateroverfire posted:

LOL sure maybe if you're playing SimCity or something.

States already set their own minimum wages, and the federal government has the ability to selective set a floor.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 5, 2015

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Minimum wage needs to be tied to productivity rates, and it should not ever be implemented in some staggered fashion - it must be immediate and universal. An increase to $12 by 2020 or whatever middle ground bullshit politicians are peddling is too little, too late. Accounting for the inevitable inflation and productivity increases, $12 an hour in 2020 would basically be the same thing as $7.25 an hour in 2010. Even if it were $15/hr by 2020, it would still not be enough - minimum wage right now should be at least $20. The way the minimum wage is raised right now - huge conflicts over specific dollar amounts - is unsustainable and counterproductive to a laborer's right to a living wage. It must be tied as a function to productivity, as that is naturally the outcome of a worker's labor. There is nothing unique or special about the US economy that differs from any other OECD country that makes a consistent, living minimum wage nonviable.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

From upthread.

This is just a lot of unsupported conjecture.

The minimum wage has been $11/hr before in real dollars, and worker productivity has almost doubled since then. There's no reason to think that businesses can't afford to pay them a living wage.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

Don't most restaurants skirt minimum wage anyway by having most of their staff making up wage revenue in tips?

The legal arrangement in some states is that if a server's tips + wage don't meet the minimum the restaurant has to top them up to the minimum. In others (California, I think, maybe more?) the restaurant has to pay minimum wage and the server's tips are on top of that.

Ardennes posted:

This is a bad post.

I mean to say that you tend to treat thorny economic problems very blithely and just assuming the government can do whatever is probably not very accurate outside a simulation where it can explicitly do whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Productivity is a very nebulous definition that seems to come out to "divide the total amount of widgets/revenue by the number of workers".

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

wateroverfire posted:

If it's true that small restaurants couldn't sustain a minimum wage increase, then one of two things is probably true:

1) People working at small restaurants already make a living wage based on tips, in which case it's fine to continue to make an exception for direct wages in these cases.

2) People working at small restaurants don't make up the difference based on tips, and these businesses probably shouldn't exist in the first place.

The problem with saying that small businesses will become non-viable with an increased minimum wage is that no business should be economically viable if it's unable to provide full time employees with a living wage. Providing jobs is completely meaningless if those jobs only serve to keep the people who work them in poverty.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

wateroverfire posted:

The legal arrangement in some states is that if a server's tips + wage don't meet the minimum the restaurant has to top them up to the minimum. In others (California, I think, maybe more?) the restaurant has to pay minimum wage and the server's tips are on top of that.

So the restaurants will still benefit from the labor unless the restaurant is dead anyway, in which case most managers tend to cut back the workforce/fit that into the schedule anyway to maximize profit/productivity.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

The legal arrangement in some states is that if a server's tips + wage don't meet the minimum the restaurant has to top them up to the minimum.

In reality though, restaurants will pressure workers to accept less than minimum wage and not ask for top-ups if they want to keep their jobs.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Chalets the Baka posted:

Minimum wage needs to be tied to productivity rates, and it should not ever be implemented in some staggered fashion - it must be immediate and universal. An increase to $12 by 2020 or whatever middle ground bullshit politicians are peddling is too little, too late. Accounting for the inevitable inflation and productivity increases, $12 an hour in 2020 would basically be the same thing as $7.25 an hour in 2010. Even if it were $15/hr by 2020, it would still not be enough - minimum wage right now should be at least $20. The way the minimum wage is raised right now - huge conflicts over specific dollar amounts - is unsustainable and counterproductive to a laborer's right to a living wage. It must be tied as a function to productivity, as that is naturally the outcome of a worker's labor. There is nothing unique or special about the US economy that differs from any other OECD country that makes a consistent, living minimum wage nonviable.

The one thing you could argue is that the US does have more regional distinctions than many OECD countries, and that needs to be addressed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't understand this "but how will restaurants afford to pay minimum wage"? That's the easiest one of all: loving charge more for food. Under the current theory, patrons are already willing to pay more since they voluntarily tack 15% onto the bill, so this should be zero problem. Unless servers aren't making minimum wage in tips, in which case the tipping system is a failure and should be ended.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

Restaurants essentially don't have a minimum wage, correct

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

This is just a lot of unsupported conjecture.

The minimum wage has been $11/hr before in real dollars, and worker productivity has almost doubled since then. There's no reason to think that businesses can't afford to pay them a living wage.

There are lots of reasons to think that. Productivity in some things has gone up but real prices have been competed down. A company like Walmart posts a net margin of 3-4% - that's profit after paying out employees and taxes, but not the owners. That's still billions of dollars, sure, but not a lot compared to the size of the operation.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

paragon1 posted:

Name one.

So wait, raise your hand if your ideology includes the idea that zero businesses are on the edge of viability in the economy.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Chalets the Baka posted:

Productivity tells us whether the economy as a whole can support a living wage but doesn't tell us much about what labor prices should be in any specific instance.

As a reminder: "value" and price in a market are not the same thing. If something is plentiful in relation to its demand it's expected to be cheap regardless of how valuable it really is. Low skill wages are low for a bunch of obvious reasons and productivity doesn't change that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

So wait, raise your hand if your ideology includes the idea that zero businesses are on the edge of viability in the economy.

Oh poo poo, well let's repeal all labor laws then, think how viable businesses will be when they don't have to have fire exits.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Don't encourage him

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

asdf32 posted:

Obviously some businesses will be, but as others have pointed out above, if you can give examples of what kind of business fits into this cohort then people arguing with you can explain why that group's business model would/should fail, why their disappearance is balanced against increased consumer expenditures and the other positives of a minimum wage hike, etc. It isn't ridiculous for a poster to ask for some examples that fit your model.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Oh poo poo, well let's repeal all labor laws then, think how viable businesses will be when they don't have to have fire exits.

Some probably would be but who cares. I could support either minimum wage or fire exits while actually understanding their consequences. The answer isn't "none".

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

The problem with saying that small businesses will become non-viable with an increased minimum wage is that no business should be economically viable if it's unable to provide full time employees with a living wage. Providing jobs is completely meaningless if those jobs only serve to keep the people who work them in poverty.

I respect that you feel that way but I disagree with your value judgement. Not every economic enterprise can give its employees a middle class lifestyle and it's not the business's responsibility to do that in the first place.

VitalSigns posted:

In reality though, restaurants will pressure workers to accept less than minimum wage and not ask for top-ups if they want to keep their jobs.

A thing that happens, for sure.

VitalSigns posted:

I don't understand this "but how will restaurants afford to pay minimum wage"? That's the easiest one of all: loving charge more for food. Under the current theory, patrons are already willing to pay more since they voluntarily tack 15% onto the bill, so this should be zero problem. Unless servers aren't making minimum wage in tips, in which case the tipping system is a failure and should be ended.

The take highly depends on where you work and what shifts you have. Tipping is amazing for some servers and pretty lovely for others.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

asdf32 posted:

Productivity tells us whether the economy as a whole can support a living wage but doesn't tell us much about what labor prices should be in any specific instance.

I never said that productivity levels themselves infer exact dollar amounts. What they do tell us is that wages have been going down even as productivity and profits go up. And since productivity almost always increases linearly with time, so too should wages.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Some probably would be but who cares.

Exactly. The businesses that starve their workers have no reason to exist.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Chalets the Baka posted:

I never said that productivity levels themselves infer exact dollar amounts. What they do tell us is that wages have been going down even as productivity and profits go up. And since productivity almost always increases linearly with time, so too should wages.

Setting a minimum wage is setting an exact dollar amount.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Unironicly would consider buying an apartment building to house, and contracting food and basic services for, my employees, if I could use that as a way to pay them less.

Ah, well. A man can dream.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

wateroverfire posted:

Unironicly would consider buying an apartment building to house, and contracting food and basic services for, my employees, if I could use that as a way to pay them less.

Yeah slavery was a pretty good business model.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

wateroverfire posted:

Also would insist they call me "daddy" in all informal interactions. But not in meetings, because that would be weird.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

You insufferable idiot. Businesses are not supposed to be responsible for life and death. They're supposed to produce shoes and pencils. When they happen to provide a good loving for people great! When they don't, it's everyone's responsibility to deal with it.

Only a libertarian sets life and death equal to market prices.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah slavery was a pretty good business model.

The difference is I wouldn't send bounty hunters after them when they left or hobble them when they were brought back in chains.

Probably.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

You insufferable idiot. Businesses are not supposed to be responsible for life and death. They're supposed to produce shoes and pencils. When they happen to provide a good loving for people great! When they don't, it's everyone's responsibility to deal with it.

You just reversed your position from like two posts ago, where you agreed we shouldn't give a poo poo whether lovely businesses fail in the face of laws that prevent death.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

asdf32 posted:

I unno. Seems counter-productive to have a worker working full-time equivalent and yet still have to be a ward of the state.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

asdf32 posted:

Setting a minimum wage is setting an exact dollar amount.

Read between the lines, human being. There are other metrics by which to determine an exact dollar amount, tying its increase as a function of productivity only determines the rate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who do people think work at McDonalds during school hours.

• Locked thread