Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ryuujin posted:

Man they are allergic to making actual D&D 5e style race stat adjustments for these Unearthed Arcana races. Except Human the stuff in the PHB tends toward +2 to one stat and +1 to another, with a few exceptions that get better than that. But it seems like pretty much all of these Unearthed Arcana races get +1 to two stats.

Also Mariner is pretty awesome, and actually a Fighting Style that is useful for classes like Monk and Druid should the character Multiclass.

Yeah. "You have a climb speed" is nearly on par with at-will flight for exploration, and almost that good for combat. That was a main reason to be a 4e Essentials Thief (Acrobat Trick). A swim speed is great for some campaigns, and since this is a nautical one...

The +1 AC almost isn't necessary. But since it's there, it's two styles for the price of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think this is a definite improvement over all the last Unearthed Arcanas we have had. Anyway the Swashbuckler looks pretty good. It's taunt ability seems to be more about forcing it's opponent to follow it around the battlefield while it stabs and runs away from it.

Say it's fighting an Super strong ogre. The Swashbukler uses Panache on it forcing it to move towards the rogue and only to attack it.For the next 10 rounds the ogre is forced to follow the Rouge who can run up to it stab it for sneak attack damage, then use cunning action to dash away and keep out of it's reach and speed with no fear of being attacked in retaliation. They can also use this to lead it into traps and stuff.

Honestly it's a pretty powerful ability and subclass for the rogue.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
As long as they're fighting enemies they share languages with (or that have language at all), and don't have ranged attacks.

It does at least RAW bypass everything. Just one insight test.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goatface posted:

As long as they're fighting enemies they share languages with (or that have language at all), and don't have ranged attacks.

It does at least RAW bypass everything. Just one insight test.

True it's not flawless. If it did bypass all that stuff it would be way too powerful.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 4, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just out of curiosity, what level is that, and what spells are available by then?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Really Pants posted:

Just out of curiosity, what level is that, and what spells are available by then?

9 so one 5th level spell by that point.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I like the Rogue archetype. The phrasing "you can use Sneak Attack with any melee attack that [conditions]" implies that it bypasses the usual restrictions regarding permissible weapon types and that you can only use it once per round. It's any melee attack. Specific Beats General, remember?

A funny thing also happens with the Sorcerer's tempestuous magic.

"Whenever you cast a spell other than a cantrip during your turn, whirling gusts of elemental air surround you. You can use a bonus action to fly 10 feet without provoking opportunity attacks."

Now... does the second sentence depend on the first one? In other words, can I always fly as a bonus action, or can I only do that after casting a non-cantrip spell? What do you base this answer on? For that matter, just how long do the gusts of elemental air last? Where does it say that? If I multiclass, does it even have to be a Sorcerer spell?

Wind Soul is simply ridiculous. Immunity to two energy type and full at-will flight at 60' speed which can be spread around with like eight other dudes, because gently caress you Tarrasque, killing you wasn't easy enough already. Meanwhile, at the same level the Wild Sorcerer gets... to sometimes roll an extra d6 damage or something.

I know this is UA material but Christ at least try.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I know we make fun of 5E for its garbage rules language but your arguments for the first two are still really pushing it. The language here is in fact terrible but it's quite obvious what its intention is, whereas something like Polearm Mastery or Crossbow Expert really are up for interpretation.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 4, 2015

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I don't think so. I've seen people reach some pretty bonkers conclusions based on poor rules wording. To conclude that "any attack" means "any attack"? poo poo son that's nothing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The perils of naturalistic language in action.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah upon actually pulling up the text again, I'm more in agreement with you on the Rogue thing. I thought the sneak attack language was put in with some relevant ability but nope, it's just hanging out all by itself. Dumb.

Tempestuous Magic I'm sticking to my guns though. It just lets you "fly" instead of "move" or "teleport." You move 10 feet by flying, then it's over. That's the bonus action. Seems like it doesn't have any restriction against multiclass spells, so go hog wild with that.

Wind Soul is indeed broken but Sorcerers are full casters so what else is new. Also, power creep.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 4, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sneak attack isn't once per round, it's once per turn. You can apply SA to opportunity attacks RAW.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Dick Burglar posted:

Tempestuous Magic I'm sticking to my guns though. It just lets you "fly" instead of "move" or "teleport." You move 10 feet by flying, then it's over. That's the bonus action. Seems like it doesn't have any restriction against multiclass spells, so go hog wild with that.

Oh I didn't mean that you can endlessly fly. What I mean is this: I suspect that they intend the ability to be that you can fly 10 feet as a bonus action on a turn in which you cast a non-cantrip spell. In other words, casting a "real" spell is the prerequisite for taking this bonus action. But that is not what they wrote. Instead, how it now reads is that casting a non-cantrip spell just causes some gusts of air to appear for an indeterminate duration. The ability to fly as a bonus action is completely independent and has no prerequisite action.

goatface posted:

Sneak attack isn't once per round, it's once per turn. You can apply SA to opportunity attacks RAW.

I misspoke (typed) but that's not the issue. If I make one of these Rogues and I dual-wield, can I now make two sneak attacks if I'm in melee and there are none of my allies adjacent to that creature? Normally no, because SA is once per turn, but if I have an ability that says I can now SA on "any attack" which satisfies these conditions... then what? Still only one? Or do I get two?

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 5, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sage Genesis posted:

Oh I didn't mean that you can endlessly fly. What I mean is this: I suspect that they intend the ability to be that you can fly 10 feet as a bonus action on a turn in which you cast a non-cantrip spell. In other words, casting a "real" spell is the prerequisite for taking this bonus action. But that is not what they wrote. Instead, how it now reads is that casting a non-cantrip spell just causes some gusts of air to appear for an indeterminate duration. The ability to fly as a bonus action is completely independent and has no prerequisite action.

I misspoke (typed) but that's not the issue. If I make one of these Rogues and I dual-wield, can I now make two sneak attacks if I'm in melee and there are none of my allies adjacent to that creature? Normally no, because SA is once per turn, but if I have an ability that says I can now SA on "any attack" which satisfies these conditions... then what? Still only one? Or do I get two?
Please don't somethingawful the poor monsters :ohdear:

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Sage Genesis posted:

Instead, how it now reads is that casting a non-cantrip spell just causes some gusts of air to appear for an indeterminate duration. The ability to fly as a bonus action is completely independent and has no prerequisite action.

I don't think anyone here disagrees that writing boardgame rules in natural language is a terrible idea, but :cmon:. This is reaching. Is what you wrote there likely to be what they meant for even one second, rather than the bonus action being as a result of the first clause?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Not only does every sentence have to be read independently of prior or later sentences in the same paragraph, but each word should be read independently.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Doodmons posted:

I don't think anyone here disagrees that writing boardgame rules in natural language is a terrible idea, but :cmon:. This is reaching. Is what you wrote there likely to be what they meant for even one second, rather than the bonus action being as a result of the first clause?

I didn't say that was likely what they meant, I'm saying that some people will erroneously reach that conclusion. If you disagree, fine, I guess you've been blessed with nothing but intelligent and discerning players.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've seen people argue that a class that gave 'immunity to magic and nonmagical poison' made you immune to magic, so...

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
It's the magic poison that gets you!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The sorcerer ability is really badly written, but it's pretty obvious what's meant to happen.

That Rogue ability, on the other hand, appears to be written very well, as long as you assume it does exactly what Sage Genesis says it does. If you assume it's really meant to say something other than what it clearly says, then yeah, it's also badly written.

Unearthed Arcana: Waterborne Adventures posted:

Toujours l’Audace

At 3rd level, your unmistakable confidence propels you into battle. You add your Charisma modifier to your initiative roll.

In addition, you can use Sneak Attack with any melee attack made against a target that has none of your allies adjacent to it.

I mean, what does that second part even loving do if normal sneak attack restrictions are also supposed to apply?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 5, 2015

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

dwarf74 posted:

The Mariner Fighting Style is actually pretty great. So great almost everyone should take it unless they are heavily armored.
Maybe I'm missing something, but should anyone actually be heavily armoured? I mean, Dex Does Everything, so...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Original Sneak Attack is:

quote:

Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

If you have Toujours l'Audace, you can Sneak Attack an enemy (of yours) without the "if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, [and] that enemy isn't incapacitated"

So if they are standing all by themselves, you can Sneak Attack with a ranged attack (whereas you couldn't before under the original prerequisites)

If just you and them are standing adjacent to each other, you can Sneak Attack with a melee attack

If they are standing next to their own allies (also your enemies), you can Sneak Attack

Sneak Attack still gets disallowed if:
1. You already used it this turn (but not this round)
2. You're not using a finesse or ranged weapon
3. You have Disadvantage on the attack roll
4. The enemy is adjacent to an incapacitated ally (of yours) and you can't meet the prereqs any other way

The Crotch posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but should anyone actually be heavily armoured? I mean, Dex Does Everything, so...

The best light armor, Studded Leather, is 12 + DEX, and DEX caps out at 5, so that's 17 AC
The best medium armor, Half Plate, is 15 + [DEX max 2], so that's 17 AC
Plate is 18 AC

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 5, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Crotch posted:

Probably not. But folks do it anyway, so...

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So, an OSR blog I frequent wrote a post about Balance in 5e, specifically at around 5-6 level. (This is the blog famous for writing a series of essays about the importance of player agency.)

Here's a paragraph that summarizes the author's thoughts:

Hack and Slash posted:

Attackers that require strength or constitution saves or melee attacks have practically no effect against the characters. Anything that grants opponents advantage or magical attacks totally tear the group apart. It is very much Rock/Paper/Scissors, and they chose rock, being that 70%+ of the monster manual is made up of scissors.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So uh, what the heck happened to the Chat thread? Why'd it get gassed?

Also, I look forward to all the ways in which SKR can gently caress up 5e in the future. Next up will be a Dragon article nerfing the Crossbow Expert feat.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sneak Attack still gets disallowed if:
1. You already used it this turn (but not this round)
2. You're not using a finesse or ranged weapon
3. You have Disadvantage on the attack roll
4. The enemy is adjacent to an incapacitated ally (of yours) and you can't meet the prereqs any other way

What's your reasoning for this? That is, I can't figure out how you're picking which parts of the general Sneak Attack rule still apply. It seems like "any melee attack" from the specific rule should override the finesse weapon requirement from the general rule, for example.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 5, 2015

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

So uh, what the heck happened to the Chat thread? Why'd it get gassed?

Also, I look forward to all the ways in which SKR can gently caress up 5e in the future. Next up will be a Dragon article nerfing the Crossbow Expert feat.

I thought the point of releasing things as "Unearthed Arcana" is that then they don't have to really work properly, even up to the low standard that regular 5e does. What does "Unearthed Arcana" mean otherwise? (Other than hitting the nostalgia center, of course)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

What's your reasoning for this? That is, I can't figure out how you're picking which parts of the general Sneak Attack rule still apply. It seems like "any melee attack" from the specific rule should override the finesse weapon requirement from the general rule, for example.

The way I read it (and I acknowledge that that's part of what makes 5e so shoddy) is that you can use Sneak Attack whenever you have Advantage, but then there are additional clauses that you can use to work around the Advantage requirement, and that Toujours l'Audace adds another one.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

The Crotch posted:

Basically if you for some reason plan on putting a 14 in DEX and never putting it any higher, Medium Armor might be ok. If you plan on pumping DEX forever, Light Armor is just as good. If you REALLY want like, +1 more AC, and plan on dumping DEX and putting at least 15 in STR, and love having disadvantage on stealth forever, go with Heavy Armor.

Notably, the only class that really needs STR for it's class features to function (Barbarian) is also the class whose features do not function when wearing heavy armor :v:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

The way I read it (and I acknowledge that that's part of what makes 5e so shoddy) is that you can use Sneak Attack whenever you have Advantage, but then there are additional clauses that you can use to work around the Advantage requirement, and that Toujours l'Audace adds another one.

I didn't interpret the original Sneak Attack rule as working like that, but sure, yeah, I can see what you mean.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If it weren't for the massive MAD problem, the swashbuckler would work much better as a Fighter option. You could use multiple attacks combined with removing OA to dance through a group of enemies and get in to hit their back line.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

goatface posted:

If it weren't for the massive MAD problem, the swashbuckler would work much better as a Fighter option. You could use multiple attacks combined with removing OA to dance through a group of enemies and get in to hit their back line.
How is it MAD? It only depends on two attributes with one of them being the best one to pump up within the game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can fighters get the dex instead of str for to-hit and damage? I'm not near books.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

goatface posted:

Can fighters get the dex instead of str for to-hit and damage? I'm not near books.
Yes anyone can. Its a property of the weapon and not class related anymore. Though I did notice the Swashbuckler's level 3 ability is something you can get with a feat.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 5, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

goatface posted:

Are you using a finesse weapon? Congratulations, you can use DEX instead of STR for hit and damage. As a note, a rapier is as good as a longsword except a) does piercing damage instead of slashing, b) doesn't get a bonus for being used two-handed and c) is finesse.

So yes, it's trivial to do so. The only caveat is that no two-handed finesse weapons exist, so you are going to be using a rapier.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Any experience with the new Elemental Evil set? Any pitfalls like with Dragon Horde forcing the party in to specific situations?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

Trying to picture this as a Fighter, Toujours and Panache key off CHA, Elegant Maneuver keys off DEX, and you can make your weapon attacks key off DEX if you wanted to. DEX > CON > CHA doesn't seem so MAD?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Doesn't Toujours l'Audace just mean "You can use sneak attack any time you damned well please?" The only situation that you couldn't would be if there's an ally next to your opponent but they're stunned or otherwise unable to attack, therefore disabling both regular sneak attack rules and Tl'A.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Doesn't Toujours l'Audace just mean "You can use sneak attack any time you damned well please?" The only situation that you couldn't would be if there's an ally next to your opponent but they're stunned or otherwise unable to attack, therefore disabling both regular sneak attack rules and Tl'A.

It depends on whether you read Toujours as its own independent trigger for Sneak Attacks, or as a modification/addition to the normal Sneak Attack ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

DalaranJ posted:

So, an OSR blog I frequent wrote a post about Balance in 5e, specifically at around 5-6 level. (This is the blog famous for writing a series of essays about the importance of player agency.)

Here's a paragraph that summarizes the author's thoughts:

Hack and Slash posted:

Attackers that require strength or constitution saves or melee attacks have practically no effect against the characters. Anything that grants opponents advantage or magical attacks totally tear the group apart. It is very much Rock/Paper/Scissors, and they chose rock, being that 70%+ of the monster manual is made up of scissors.

Incredibly high level of cognitive dissonance here:

Hack and Slash posted:

I'm not asking for advice. I'm saying that this is literally forcing me into the position of deciding for the characters how much risk they should be taking on, because in many situations "going forward" is their only choice. They have some say in how they manage to do that. 5th edition is good in that it provides and supports diplomacy and trickery and thinking outside the box in a way that 4th edition specifically discouraged, but the expectation of combat in many situations is still there, especially as a result of failure of the other options. Still, I personally prefer to design monsters and factions naturalistically based on good design principles and let the players decide how to navigate the morass.