Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Most important question.

Does the tattoo carry over. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rookersh posted:

Most important question.

We still don't know and I hope we do.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Rookersh posted:

Most important question.

Comte confirmed a flag for it within imported savegames.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
As this game is getting closer to release I'm getting more hyped for it. Last E3 I remember there being a stage demo for it and I wasn't all that interested but now I'm starting to feel like if I don't play this game I'm gonna be missing out on one of the all-time greats. The only Witcher game I've played was like 30 minutes of The Witcher 2 and I'm still probably gonna get this game. The aspect of an open world role-playing game that doesn't fall into the typical open world pitfalls of having tons of random poo poo just everywhere that is meaningless and also probably having an excellent story seems tantalizing to me.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
A few pages back there was discussion on monster respawns and I don't think we had an answer, but now we do:

Damien Monnier posted:

"They do respawn. Each group will have a different respawn time and basically as you walk around and trigger them at various times, their respawn will also be staggered if you would. So by doing your first pass you sort of shuffle the spawns around (or set the countdown).

All our living world encounters will respawn at some point, usually after 2 in-game days. It is possible that he was attacked in one place by some monsters, he killed them and two days later they respawned in the same area, but this area could be big, or they could have been aggroed by something in the distance. There could be so many variables to be honest. Our system is quite organic, we didn’t want it to feel fake where you would always have monster x at some exact same spot. Our monsters wander around and so on."

Source: http://www.gamepur.com/news/18757-cdrp-explains-why-witcher-3-wild-hunt-map-size-hard-calculate-its-fucg.html

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

I wonder how this works with the "clear out areas of monsters and people will move in" mechanic.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I hope the game is good with guilding newbies as the Witcher's history and amount of characters can get quite overwhelming. I played the first two eons ago and barely remember much beyond Geralt, Triss and how awesome Iorveth's path was.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I wonder how this works with the "clear out areas of monsters and people will move in" mechanic.

Maybe it just eliminates the spawns in a certain area. I assume villages are mostly safe havens. The wilderness will likely keep spawning stuff over and over.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It kind of sounds like there would be quests associated with those, and them being described that way is your usual pre-release "flowery language". Like if I had to guess I'd say someone in town tells you about how there's a nest of X monster nearby scaring everyone away, so you go kill it and people move back in. Or some giant monster comes by and kills all the cows every night, so then you go kill it and a farmer moves in, etc.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

So how early can one typically preload a game on Steam? Or is that entirely up to the Developer?

I purchased it on GOG though, so we'll see. Really hoping there's a preload option. :ohdear:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Apparently there is a preload on GOG too. No idea when though.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.
I recall preloading The Witcher 2 from GOG when it came out so they definitely have the capability.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

God I forgot how much bullshit the last couple fights in chapter 3 were.

Edit: so I'm guessing since I didn't get enhanced roll I'm just hosed on the dragon? I guess I can keep quen tanking it and hope it doesn't either chain the undodgeable stuff or I don't get bounced back toward it before I manage to whittle it down.

Edit: gently caress that I made a poo poo ton of grape poo poo and cheesed it with bomb spam

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 5, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Edit: so I'm guessing since I didn't get enhanced roll I'm just hosed on the dragon? I guess I can keep quen tanking it and hope it doesn't either chain the undodgeable stuff or I don't get bounced back toward it before I manage to whittle it down.

Edit: gently caress that I made a poo poo ton of grape poo poo and cheesed it with bomb spam

The Dragon fight is the only place where I used Quen, the hitboxes of his claws are just way too hosed. Besides that, I just did light attack -> immediately roll away until I won.

VDay posted:

It kind of sounds like there would be quests associated with those, and them being described that way is your usual pre-release "flowery language". Like if I had to guess I'd say someone in town tells you about how there's a nest of X monster nearby scaring everyone away, so you go kill it and people move back in. Or some giant monster comes by and kills all the cows every night, so then you go kill it and a farmer moves in, etc.

I'm assuming clearing villages is like that thing with the noonwraith, you have quests to kill a big monster or a whole bunch of smaller ones, but the surrounding countryside will still have monsters once people move in.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jarmak posted:

None of its attacks are undodgeable. Some of them are very difficult to dodge, and for most builds, Geralt can only take 1-2 hits on Hard difficulty, so you don't get to make many mistakes.Try watching its position on the minimap when it goes under the lip of the tower to circle, to better dodge its tail strikes and pop-up attacks.

And yes, it's beatable without enhanced roll. I've done it on Dark difficulty, anyway.

Karrahad posted:

The assumption of the other one being Triss is merely a product of my wild imagination, but but, the woman on the left is wearing the very same bra top as Yennefer in that unicorn scene. At least the patterns on them seem to match. I have studied these pixels. :captainpop:

Maybe they didn't make unique underwear for everyone. Also some of the underwear shots might be censored nudes for marketing purposes. But I haven't seen this particular scene so I don't know about that one.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Jarmak posted:

Edit: so I'm guessing since I didn't get enhanced roll I'm just hosed on the dragon?

I remember on my first playthrough I went into the dragon fight with close to 200% fire resistance and his breath healed me.

When I played again a couple of days ago, standing in his breath still restored health (albeit at a smaller rate), but being on fire afterwards took down the health.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Places you can clear monsters are probably predetermined and static. They could just have specific areas not respawn so that the game knows when it's safe to plant a settlement somewhere.

Or you have to clear everything in the area within the two day time limit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This lady Geralt cosplay is rad. More pics and a Ciri bonus at source.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 5, 2015

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Lady Geralt is basically Ciri with a different armor, anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I thought the same thing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The scar is clearly different.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

None of its attacks are undodgeable. Some of them are very difficult to dodge, and for most builds, Geralt can only take 1-2 hits on Hard difficulty, so you don't get to make many mistakes.Try watching its position on the minimap when it goes under the lip of the tower to circle, to better dodge its tail strikes and pop-up attacks.

And yes, it's beatable without enhanced roll. I've done it on Dark difficulty, anyway.

Maybe they didn't make unique underwear for everyone. Also some of the underwear shots might be censored nudes for marketing purposes. But I haven't seen this particular scene so I don't know about that one.

I still never managed to dodge the tail, fire, or get away clean on an attack. Basically just kept baiting her to use the claws when she was on the edge, faced tanked everything else with quen, and recharged my vigor when she was doing patterns I could reliably dodge.

That and grapeshot, lots of grapeshot

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
New video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1HG8Py6OPc
That one monster towards the end looked pretty cool.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Geralt's totally gonna bone some mermaids isn't he?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I started my second run of TW2 on Hard mode and had to bump it down to Normal at the first Letho fight. My Normal playthrough went smoothly without having to rely on potions or over preparation, but Hard mode seems to lean on that quite a bit more. Considering I'm just trying to get a Roche save ready for TW3 and not sperg out over "always having potions on" (so glad they fixed potions in TW3) this seems to be the best solution.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

New video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1HG8Py6OPc
That one monster towards the end looked pretty cool.

The animations in this game look fantastic, and Igni being channeled is a change I like. One thing I hope they do add is mages that actually use weather, such as lightning in rain. A tooltip in 2 mentioned this, but nothing really happened like that in the game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jarmak posted:

I still never managed to dodge the tail, fire, or get away clean on an attack. Basically just kept baiting her to use the claws when she was on the edge, faced tanked everything else with quen, and recharged my vigor when she was doing patterns I could reliably dodge.

That and grapeshot, lots of grapeshot

You dodge the breath by staying on the opposite side of the platform from it. That just barely beats it's range. All of the tail swipes but one are dodgeable via a similar position.. One of them I've never been able to dodge consistently though. You bait her into clean attacks by standing in front of her mouth then immediately rolling to the side before she lunges. You can reliably get 1-2 heavy attacks in that way if you're quick. You have to make them count though. I actually find the Thunderbolt potion useful here. She does so much damage that the health penalty isn't meaningful, but the bonus damage is a godsend. The earlier you end the fight, the less chances you have to make horrible mistakes and die.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

I started my second run of TW2 on Hard mode and had to bump it down to Normal at the first Letho fight. My Normal playthrough went smoothly without having to rely on potions or over preparation, but Hard mode seems to lean on that quite a bit more. Considering I'm just trying to get a Roche save ready for TW3 and not sperg out over "always having potions on" (so glad they fixed potions in TW3) this seems to be the best solution.

You don't really need a single potion, you just gotta learn to roll away from everything.

The Sharmat posted:

You dodge the breath by staying on the opposite side of the platform from it. That just barely beats it's range. All of the tail swipes but one are dodgeable via a similar position.. One of them I've never been able to dodge consistently though. You bait her into clean attacks by standing in front of her mouth then immediately rolling to the side before she lunges. You can reliably get 1-2 heavy attacks in that way if you're quick. You have to make them count though. I actually find the Thunderbolt potion useful here. She does so much damage that the health penalty isn't meaningful, but the bonus damage is a godsend. The earlier you end the fight, the less chances you have to make horrible mistakes and die.

Or just attack with Quen and wait her out while your vigor recovers once you inevitably get hit.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Drifter posted:

The scar is clearly different.

Not the cosplayer's fault, it's just how the two characters have been designed by CD Projekt RED. Yeah, the scars are different, but marginally so: the big red scar is in the same position for both characters.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

I haven't been keeping up with this stuff, how do they handle potions in 3?

Honestly, my enjoyment of TW2 increased by a lot when I modded the potion duration to be one hour long

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Andrast posted:

Honestly, my enjoyment of TW2 increased by a lot when I modded the potion duration to be one hour long

They're now even shorter! :)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

You don't really need a single potion, you just gotta learn to roll away from everything.

Or just attack with Quen and wait her out while your vigor recovers once you inevitably get hit.

I made the mistake of investing in signs before swords, so I don't have the roll perks.\

Andrast posted:

You can now apply potions mid combat - no more of that meditating crap. IIRC meditation is only for passing time.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The Sharmat posted:

You dodge the breath by staying on the opposite side of the platform from it. That just barely beats it's range. All of the tail swipes but one are dodgeable via a similar position.. One of them I've never been able to dodge consistently though. You bait her into clean attacks by standing in front of her mouth then immediately rolling to the side before she lunges. You can reliably get 1-2 heavy attacks in that way if you're quick. You have to make them count though. I actually find the Thunderbolt potion useful here. She does so much damage that the health penalty isn't meaningful, but the bonus damage is a godsend. The earlier you end the fight, the less chances you have to make horre mistakes and die.

This is the way I did it on Dark. I just focused on damage output and made sure Quen was always on. I was doing about 200 damage a hit. It was still hectic as hell, but shortened the fight.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

I made the mistake of investing in signs before swords, so I don't have the roll perks.

My first playthrough was a Mage one as well, I only got the roll skills once I had everything I wanted from the Signs tree.
Default roll distance is fine, just don't get surrounded so you roll right into an enemy.
Especially Letho should be easy as hell to defeat if you just keep rolling in a circle while his Quen is up.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

GrossMurpel posted:

It's really not that simple on difficulties above normal.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

My first playthrough was a Mage one as well, I only got the roll skills once I had everything I wanted from the Signs tree.
Default roll distance is fine, just don't get surrounded so you roll right into an enemy.
Especially Letho should be easy as hell to defeat if you just keep rolling in a circle while his Quen is up.

Well I'm not having any problems with hordes of mobs on Hard. It's just Letho basically one-shotting me on Hard. I have to make sure I get Quen up RIGHT AWAY when the fight starts or I'm literally dead.

Note: I was kind of drunk when that fight started, so I'll try again while sober on Hard and see how it goes.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom

A girl with extremely red hair is playing Assassins of Kings right now, but supposedly it's Witcher 3 gameplay/QA in a little less than an hour.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

It's really not that simple on difficulties above normal.

I played on Hard and Dark, so :shrug:

Anti-Hero posted:

Well I'm not having any problems with hordes of mobs on Hard. It's just Letho basically one-shotting me on Hard. I have to make sure I get Quen up RIGHT AWAY when the fight starts or I'm literally dead.

Note: I was kind of drunk when that fight started, so I'll try again while sober on Hard and see how it goes.

Maybe try not to use Quen, I had better results without it because it forces you to learn to dodge everything.

E:

Archimago posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom

A girl with extremely red hair is playing Assassins of Kings right now, but supposedly it's Witcher 3 gameplay/QA in a little less than an hour.

Cool, tuned in in time for the Operator fight.
Those drat gargoyles :argh:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Unless they changed the time since the announcement, the presentation should be in about 2 hours, not one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

GrossMurpel posted:

Cool, tuned in in time for the Operator fight.
Those drat gargoyles :argh:

She's been going at it for quite awhile now. Unfortunately she doesn't try anything different so she keeps dying.

Also, she seems to think that after she kills those first two Gargoyles that it's all smooth sailing.

She's finally started Aarding the gargoyles, I think she may get it this time. Nope.

• Locked thread