Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jsor posted:

Later, Jack and Gwen go to a museum and see a painting made after Pompeii of a man that looks almost exactly like Frobisher. This sets them out on a quest to find more info on The Impossible Boy.

An Actual Review Site posted:

"I'm not sure I see the point of writing a 2 hour audio drama, if 1 hour of that is just going to be the moans of Captain Jack and 12 Peter Capaldis."

Cobiwann posted:

In our first story, John Frobisher has mysteriously returned to life but with no memory of the events of Children of Earth. Kept inside the Torchwood Institute by Captain Jack, the confused man has become convinced he is the mysterious Doctor that Jack sometimes mentions, and recounts imaginary adventures about his adventures in Time and Space with a variety of companions, the first of whom will be played by Jenna Coleman.

Later, Jack and Gwen go to a museum and see a painting made after Pompeii of a man that looks almost exactly like Frobisher. This sets them out on a quest to find more info on The Impossible Boy.

Cast
John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness)
John Barrowman (The Face of Boe)
Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald)
Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper)
Peter Capaldi (John Frobisher)
Peter Capaldi (Lobus Caecilius)
Peter Capaldi (The Doctor)
Peter Capaldi (A Stripper)
Peter Capaldi (A Future Stripper?)
Peter Capaldi (A Past Stripper?)
Peter Capaldi (Sexy Cyberman)
Peter Capaldi (Caligula)
Peter Capaldi (Marquis de Sade)
Peter Capaldi (A Cannibal)
Peter Capaldi (Thomas Harper (Owen Harper's unmentioned son))
Peter Capaldi (Older John Hart)

Written By: Alan Smithee
Directed By: Alan Smithee

X X X X X

:stare:

0/5
X X X X X

Next up - When a horde of frogs descends on a small Welsh village, the sheriff has no choice but to call upon an expert with whom she shares a horrible past...

Burn Gorman is Owen Harper in...Torchwood: Reign of the Amphibs.

Jerusalem posted:

This story was quite difficult to listen to[...]

I'm not sure I will ever be same after listening to this. I may have to swear off audio dramas forever due to the constant nightmares.

Doctor What posted:

I can't help but feel this would have been better served as a 6th Doctor story. His personality and Colin Baker's voice is much better suited for this sort of episode.

Toxxupation posted:

Big Finish's Torchwood
"The Impossible Boy"

This is the best drama I've ever experienced. It rivals Moffat's masterful, intricately planned writing in every way.

A++
Random Thoughts:
  • Bet you didn't expect that. :smug:
  • I can't believe you nerds thought it would be a good idea to bet money on my audio drama grades.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I wonder if Gwen and Rhys will be in it, or if they'll just have Jack with an all new team?

If they have any sense, they will pretend Rex Matheson doesn't exist.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just beautiful, Jsor! Forgot one thing though...

X X X X X

Next up - When a horde of frogs descends on a small Welsh village, the sheriff has no choice but to call upon an expert with whom she shares a horrible past...

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 3, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, they got way too excited that they could set a Doctor Who spin off in a world where sex exists. They really didn't seem to have any idea of what to do with that.

It was doubly disappointing because it's not like Russell T Davies wanted for experience doing adult drama before Torchwood.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

CobiWann posted:

X X X X X

It's there now!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've just got up to Love & Monsters in the Oxx/Occ thread. It's beautiful. :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Jack Comes to Frogtown

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was doubly disappointing because it's not like Russell T Davies wanted for experience doing adult drama before Torchwood.

Someone accurately described it as being so excited about being adult it forgot to be grown up.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Someone accurately described it as being so excited about being adult it forgot to be grown up.

On the other hand, someone once said "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." However, TW may have taken it a tad far...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Torchwood is more bad than good but I'm interested in what Big Finish can do with it. Always down for more BARROWMAN! :argh:

Same. I only saw a few episodes of Torchwood the series and was unimpressed. Couldn't finish Miracle Day. But CoE was great, and I'll give anything Barrowman does a shot. He loves the character, he loves Doctor Who, and I know he'll absolutely kill it in audio.

It's one more person, along with Arthur Darvill and Tennant, that would be an absolute lock for Nu-Who audios (and of course Capaldi, but that goes without saying). When we can finally get that unrealized promise of the 9/Rose/Jack team in a multi-season arc, it's gonna own. One day Eccleston will be spoken of in the same breath as McGann and C Bakes as a great audio Doctor with too short a time on tv, mark my words.

I bet this will also give us a chance to finally get an origin story for Captain Jack, and find out the mystery of his missing time before he met the Doctor. Plus other Time Agent in the Future stories.

I also want to see an all Male Action Punching sausage fest companion crossover starring William Russell, Peter Purves, and Barrowman. :allears:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 4, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

I also want to see an all Male Action Punching sausage fest companion crossover starring William Russell, Peter Purves, and Barrowman. :allears:

You disappoint me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm fairly sure they're holding back the rest of the episodes until 2016 because they don't know who from the cast they can get except Barrowman. Hell, that means they may not even know WHEN the audios will be set.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CobiWann posted:

X X X X X

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I'm fairly sure they're holding back the rest of the episodes until 2016 because they don't know who from the cast they can get except Barrowman. Hell, that means they may not even know WHEN the audios will be set.

Suzie!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jack! El Roboto del Diablo has returned!

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

RunAndGun posted:

On the other hand, someone once said "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." However, TW may have taken it a tad far...

Terry Gilliam once said of Time Bandits that he'd tried to make a film that was fun enough for grown-ups, but smart enough for kids. Torchwood seemed to try, and fail, to take the opposite approach.

That said, I do think that Bilis Manger was one of the creepiest villains I've seen in TV and was a better antagonist than the show deserved.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I seem to remember the beeb doing some torchwood audios a little while back that were a lot better than I was expecting. Does anyone know if big finish had a hand in those?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

I seem to remember the beeb doing some torchwood audios a little while back that were a lot better than I was expecting. Does anyone know if big finish had a hand in those?

I remember them going out on BBC Radio 4 making me think they were legit BBC Radio productions.

Also, while they would definitely ask Eccleston first, he would almost certainly decline. In which case would getting Stephen Beckett to do his Richard III voice be such a horrible thing?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 4, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Man, I just saw the second Thor movie and it made me appreciate his Doctor even more. Holy poo poo did they waste him in that film. He wasn't even bad, he was just given nothing other than some made up fantasy gibberish language and scowling.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jsor posted:

Man, I just saw the second Thor movie and it made me appreciate his Doctor even more. Holy poo poo did they waste him in that film. He wasn't even bad, he was just given nothing other than some made up fantasy gibberish language and scowling.

He's done plenty of poo poo. The villain in Gone In 60 Seconds being particularly egregious.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The jokes have already made the Torchwood adaptation a good thing, even if it doesn't sell a single copy.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'll buy it, in hopes that it leads to a McGann/Barrowman team up at some point.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh yeah. May the Fourth be with you or something.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

One Swell Foop posted:

Terry Gilliam once said of Time Bandits that he'd tried to make a film that was fun enough for grown-ups, but smart enough for kids. Torchwood seemed to try, and fail, to take the opposite approach.

That said, I do think that Bilis Manger was one of the creepiest villains I've seen in TV and was a better antagonist than the show deserved.

Yeah, first season was a bit of a bomb. They got better later, and of course, Children of Earth!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My wife has expressed interest in the Torchwood audios.

Which means I will have to review them.

gently caress.

gently caress!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The audios might be a lot better than the show and take advantage of whatever potential was there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

gently caress.

gently caress!

The Tenth Doctor's cliffhangers would've been a lot different if that was what he yelled.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

gently caress.

gently caress!

Again, the BBC ones weren't bad. They all occur post Owen and Toshiko leaving but pre Ianto leaving. I didn't listen to the original one (which I can see was a Lidster penned one) but the other ones were fine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I remember Golden Age and Dead Line being pretty good. The latter being a bit Sapphire & Steel, in a good way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The House of the Dead as well.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

CobiWann posted:

gently caress.

gently caress!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I remember Golden Age and Dead Line being pretty good. The latter being a bit Sapphire & Steel, in a good way.

I liked Dead Line - it was what I'd envisaged Torchwood as being when it was first announced... which is to say a Welsh X-Files.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CobiWann posted:

gently caress.

gently caress!

You should probably do all the tv episodes as well, for backgrounds sake.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

BSam posted:

You should probably do all the tv episodes as well, for backgrounds sake.

May you find yourself forced to LARP the "gas leak" season of Community and it awakes something dark inside of you.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I feel like when I actually watch Torchwood, the "Torchwood is the worst thing in the Universe, worse than getting your toes stomped on while you watch Star Trek: Voyager" stuff is going to over-prepare me to the point where I say "I don't know. The dog in this show isn't really that shaggy."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

You'd be surprised. I thought that too but they really are right. It's astonishing how bad Torchwood is, to the point where it's difficult even to enjoy ironically because it's just that drearily, determinedly sub-par.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I feel like when I actually watch Torchwood, the "Torchwood is the worst thing in the Universe, worse than getting your toes stomped on while you watch Star Trek: Voyager" stuff is going to over-prepare me to the point where I say "I don't know. The dog in this show isn't really that shaggy."

One of the main characters attempts to rape a woman using drugs in the first episode during his free time and this isn't ever really brought up and he just happily continues along as a member of the team.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

It's really not as bad as people say, with the odd moment or episode that just really is as bad as people say. Cyberwoman being the most prominent.

Although with the exception of the brilliant Children of Earth season, the show still isn't quite as good as the Sarah Jane Adventures was.

While I'm at it, the Australian kids K9 series is pretty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

CobiWann posted:

gently caress.

gently caress!

Well, at least you won't get the urge to gouge your eyes out. Ears... is another story.
But the eyes are safe!

• Locked thread