Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Endless Mike posted:

You can't really prove that the OEM glass would have broken in the same drop. Something tells me that glass screen protectors aren't really using the same quality glass as OEMs. But they're probably a better idea than lovely plastic film ones.

That was kinda my thinking too considering I don't even know what the scratch is from. I don't think the screen protector on here is BAD per se, but I don't know if this dumb scratch is worth either taking what's already on here off, or getting a new (better?) one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
The $25 tempered glass protector installed on my Note 3 by my Verizon rep is awesome and I will get it again on whatever future big-rear end phone I buy. She got giddy telling me of the two occasions when customers sadly brought their broken-screened phones in to replace and were overjoyed to find it was just the glass cover they forgot they had.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Endless Mike posted:

You can't really prove that the OEM glass would have broken in the same drop. Something tells me that glass screen protectors aren't really using the same quality glass as OEMs. But they're probably a better idea than lovely plastic film ones.

When I sold my G2x ages ago, I felt bad for the guy I sold it to. I can't believe anyone would willingly spend money on one in 2015.

I literally apologized to the guy that bought mine. He still wanted it. He thought he was getting the deal of the century. All I wanted was 50 bucks on a 3 month old "flagship" phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

visuvius posted:

drat you a baller son, thats like $300 in charging devices.

I like wireless charging but the one I got at the Verizon store is temperamental as gently caress, you have to set the phone down just right. I'm guessing these are as pricey as they are because you can just set the phone down on it however and it starts charging without having to mess with it?

The Tylt Vu is just so good man, it's the best phone accessory by far. I could never buy a phone without Qi now, like LastInLine said. It's the ultimate convenience.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

hooah posted:

Speaking of quick charge and cars, how do I sort out a good QC-compatible car charger from all the likely horrible crap on Amazon? Also, one that doesn't stick far out of the cigarette lighter thing would be nice because it's by my shifter.

I bought http://www.amazon.com/Powermod-Charge-Certified-In-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B00P9UILUM/ref=pd_sim_cps_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Y0WR63EGZR9TJXX58SG and all I can say is A) It does not stick out far at all and B) So far it has not exploded and killed me.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Tylt Vu is just so good man, it's the best phone accessory by far. I could never buy a phone without Qi now, like LastInLine said. It's the ultimate convenience.

Qi charging is the first thing that meets that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" thing. I just set my phone down and it gets power.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Could I get a recommendation on a cheap but not terrible wireless charger for my Nexus 5?
I might end up getting one for home and one for my desk at uni if I'm sufficiently impressed.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Premature ejacula- posted:

Could I get a recommendation on a cheap but not terrible wireless charger for my Nexus 5?
I might end up getting one for home and one for my desk at uni if I'm sufficiently impressed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nokia-DT900...%3D251894190746

Used this on my nightstand for a Nexus 5 for quite awhile. It's not going to set any speed records in terms of charging but it gets the job done.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Premature ejacula- posted:

I'm using this Tylt Vu knockoff from amazon for 25$ and it's working great on my droid turbo. I had the AT&T hockey puck before and I hated that I had to align it where this I just put it on. I'll take my puck and DIY a mount for it at my office someday.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7IBDGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What chinese phone is the best in price/value? A friend is in Hong Kong and offered to get me one.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Schmoli posted:

I'm using this Tylt Vu knockoff from amazon for 25$ and it's working great on my droid turbo. I had the AT&T hockey puck before and I hated that I had to align it where this I just put it on. I'll take my puck and DIY a mount for it at my office someday.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7IBDGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seconding this, good value.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

gmq posted:

What chinese phone is the best in price/value? A friend is in Hong Kong and offered to get me one.

Make sure it'll work wherever it is you live.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I realize how much of a first world problem this is, but this is my first car mount...I love this Tylt Vu Car mount a lot but it's really finally hit me how loving huge my phone is

Where do you guys put your car mount? Middle of the dash (mine has a weird texture and the suction cup doesn't hold well there)? On your left? Windshield? I can't find a good place for it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Super Dude posted:

Make sure it'll work wherever it is you live.

gently caress, I live I Chile. What should I be cautious about?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Where do you guys put your car mount? Middle of the dash (mine has a weird texture and the suction cup doesn't hold well there)? On your left? Windshield? I can't find a good place for it.

I decided to disregard the Airframe advice because I realized I really like the placement of my current mount: my CD player. Of course, that only works with certain mounting methods.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

S6 or N6?

I have narrowed it down to those two now that the G4 looks overall a bit disappointing. Like, the N6 beats it out in most tests AND has more features I want. But the S6 is a reasonable form factor and is significantly more powerful. If the S6 ran stock Android I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Thinking I'll probably just fiddle with both at the store tomorrow and see if I can live with TouchWiz and if I can safely handle the N6's absurd size.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Eejit posted:

S6 or N6?

I have narrowed it down to those two now that the G4 looks overall a bit disappointing. Like, the N6 beats it out in most tests AND has more features I want. But the S6 is a reasonable form factor and is significantly more powerful. If the S6 ran stock Android I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Thinking I'll probably just fiddle with both at the store tomorrow and see if I can live with TouchWiz and if I can safely handle the N6's absurd size.

How is the G4 disappointing? It is almost a hybrid between the two, looking to get decent battery life with a gorgeous screen and great camera.

The N6 is a great phone and you can't beat stock. The phone is plenty powerful- most flagships are now. The battery is only so so and the S6 is apparently not any better - possibly worse.

The camera is ... OK. Quality is good in well lit situations but isn't so good in low light. It is also very slow compared to the iPhone and S6 both in loading and taking a shot. It is definitely better than the Moto X and M8.

It is definitely a large and wide phone but you get used to it. I will likely move smaller next time, however.

Its really do you want big and stock or smaller and touchwiz and a fantastic camera.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

I realize how much of a first world problem this is, but this is my first car mount...I love this Tylt Vu Car mount a lot but it's really finally hit me how loving huge my phone is

Gonna take you back in time to February when we were both considering buying this...

Reverse Centaur posted:

I almost pulled the trigger before remembering I don't like having my giant phone at face level while driving in the perpetual dark pouring rain misery that is the pacific northwest.

At least it's light pouring rain misery now.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

This spot works on mine with double sided tape on a hard plastic.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have a vent mount :/

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
FYI my tylt vu car mount is compatible with my mountek CD holder. The pivot ball mounts are the same size. If you hate suction cups as much as I do, there's your alternative.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Cozmosis posted:

How is the G4 disappointing? It is almost a hybrid between the two, looking to get decent battery life with a gorgeous screen and great camera.

The N6 is a great phone and you can't beat stock. The phone is plenty powerful- most flagships are now. The battery is only so so and the S6 is apparently not any better - possibly worse.

The camera is ... OK. Quality is good in well lit situations but isn't so good in low light. It is also very slow compared to the iPhone and S6 both in loading and taking a shot. It is definitely better than the Moto X and M8.

It is definitely a large and wide phone but you get used to it. I will likely move smaller next time, however.

Its really do you want big and stock or smaller and touchwiz and a fantastic camera.

Yup, I'm gonna go fiddle with the n6 and s6 in store and see really just how much I dislike a 5.1 skinned touchwiz vs stock and how the n6 form factor feels. I guess I could root a g4 and put on an aosp rom to get close to the best of both worlds, but part of me really wants a phone with qi charging.

Honestly I'd rather wait until the fall to buy a phone but my s3 with cyanogenmod is becoming more unstable by the week.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Eejit posted:

I guess I could root a g4 and put on an aosp rom to get close to the best of both worlds,

Do not buy a phone with the intent of replacing the OS on it out of the box. This is a surefire way to disappointment.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have your car. One of the few flat untextured spots is the underside of that cubby in front of the gear selector (so you're mounting the suction cup upside down.) Only good for landscape mounting, and it'll block the cubby, but it works great for me! Phone/suction cup is out of the sun, and never in the way of my hands.

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 5, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

When I sold my G2x ages ago, I felt bad for the guy I sold it to. I can't believe anyone would willingly spend money on one in 2015.

My wife while selling hers literally apologized to the guy buying it.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I literally apologized to the guy that bought mine. He still wanted it. He thought he was getting the deal of the century. All I wanted was 50 bucks on a 3 month old "flagship" phone.

Lol, just now saw this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

enojy posted:

I have your car. One of the few flat untextured spots is the underside of that cubby in front of the gear selector (so you're mounting the suction cup upside down.) Only good for landscape mounting, and it'll block the cubby, but it works great for me! Phone/suction cup is out of the sun, and never in the way of my hands.

Oh poo poo, that never occurred to me, gonna try it, thanks!!

Reverse Centaur posted:

Gonna take you back in time to February when we were both considering buying this...

Yeah yeah yeah :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

gmq posted:

gently caress, I live I Chile. What should I be cautious about?

If anything, I live in Spain and all Huawei, Xiaomi, Elephone and Meizu devices work perfectly. If you have Movistar, I'm sure they will.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

http://phandroid.com/2015/05/04/moto-x-promo-225-dollars-off/

Big sale on the Moto X 2014 today - up to $225 off. Maybe not long before we hear about the Moto X 2015?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I'm running stock Android 5.1 and can't seem to delete any of the non-Google email accounts I added to the Gmail account. When I look at them in the Settings->Accounts screen, the corner menu that usually lets you delete an account just says "Sync Now."
So it will only let me delete them if they're synced?
The problem is that I'm deleting them BECAUSE they've been unable to sync for months. :\

I'm at my wits' end, any suggestions?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hatter106 posted:

I'm running stock Android 5.1 and can't seem to delete any of the non-Google email accounts I added to the Gmail account. When I look at them in the Settings->Accounts screen, the corner menu that usually lets you delete an account just says "Sync Now."
The problem is that I'm deleting them BECAUSE they've been unable to sync for months. :\

Clear app data?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hatter106 posted:

By "non-Google" do you by chance mean Exchange? Some Exchange accounts require being a device administrator. And you can't remove an administrator account. If this is your problem, go to Settings -> Security -> Device Administrators, select the email account and remove the administration privilege.

Failing that, go into settings -> apps -> all and clear data for every app named something related to "email" or "gmail" or "exchange".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hatter106 posted:

I had the same problem when they first rolled in Email to GMail. The only way I was able to remove the Yahoo account I added was to roll back to the version of GMail prior to the merge. When I remerged them after reinstalling the current version of GMail, the option to remove my Yahoo mail was present when I know it wasn't there the first time. :confused: Crazy world.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I won't need to replace my Z3 for a long time, but it's good to see that Android is finally taking the lead in camera quality over the iPhone. Both the S6 and G4 are awesome, which is great to see.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently the N9 is getting an update finally!

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/05/google-is-trolling-nexus-9-owners-with-an-update-to-android-5-0-2-this-morning/

Godfuckingdamnit.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Hhahahaha so glad I didn't buy that garbage.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is a quick charge 2.0 charger (18W) worth it? I am using a moto x 2014. I notice that some reviews say they get roughly 1% per minute, but I am already charging that fast a regular charger.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

madkapitolist posted:

Is a quick charge 2.0 charger (18W) worth it? I am using a moto x 2014. I notice that some reviews say they get roughly 1% per minute, but I am already charging that fast a regular charger.

Yes, imo quick charge is vastly more useful than wireless charging

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I love quick charge. Buy it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

this_is_hard posted:

Yes, imo quick charge is vastly more useful than wireless charging

Both technologies are incredibly useful and both have their good use cases. If your phone supports both, use both, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Lol if you own a scrub phone that doesn't have both Qi and turbo charging