Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I kinda like that steelcase pyramid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
my dad's company was an exclusive steelcase dealer for all of the nyc-tristate and spent a good amount of time in that pyramid. He had a lot of good things to say about it. My grandfather didn't like the way the steelcase execs did business, told them all to gently caress off and walked out leaving my father there confused and uncomfortable on his first visit. That's how they got exclusivity though so :shrug:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Lord of Pie posted:

Speaking of pyramids

the Dread Tomb of the Realtree Dads has been consecrated

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can't believe I'd forgotten about this one, a stunning Art Nuveau florist from the turn of the 19th century, Brussels.:

The photo was titled "Ancienne chemiserie Niguet (1896) – 13 rue Royale, Bruxelles (Belgique)." The shop is still there today, more than a hundred years later. And it's still a florist, run by Daniel Ost. Sadly, google street view went past on a day when the big metal shutter was down so you can't see it.

But doing a search for "brussels belgium 13 rue royale florist daniel ost" gives a bunch of modern day shots.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That's awesome

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Holy poo poo lol

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

shiksa posted:

nobody in gbs has probably ever been to high point, nc, a dying town built on the dying american furniture industry, so i dont know if anyone's seen this bad boy, but it's pretty special

my parents used to drop off rent at a building right next to it when we moved to nc in the 90s. even as a child i thought it was dumbsecretly awesome

also, if you have been to high point, congratulations on your job in the furniture industry! there's no reason to go to there outside of the biannual furniture market. it's the city equivalent of a k-mart.

What up, NC goon? :hfive:

A few years ago that building was for sale. I mighta tried to buy it (the price was surprisingly reasonable), but financially it was a bit out of my reach.

Also, it woulda meant, you know, having to live in High Point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dienes posted:

Speaking of pyramids, we have the Steelcase Pyramid in Grand Rapids.

Its been out of use for years, though, to the point that the parking lot is mostly grass. The creepy part is at night it lights up in red.

If I were a billionaire I'd buy the poo poo out of that place and turn it into the world's coolest laser tag/early 90s FPS simulator.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

It's like a goddamn plutonium rod.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

The other two sides are just giant windowless (aside from at the seam) concrete slabs that even the most die-hard brutalism fan (hi, that's me) would be hard-pressed to justify.

These things exist solely in my mind to act as a midpoint marker during any drive from Keystone to 65 South.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Mad Hamish posted:

drat thing looks like a Goa'uld mothership.

This is some kind of terrible brutalist government ziggurat in Aliso Viejo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Gorilla Salad posted:

I can't believe I'd forgotten about this one, a stunning Art Nuveau florist from the turn of the 19th century, Brussels.:

The photo was titled "Ancienne chemiserie Niguet (1896) – 13 rue Royale, Bruxelles (Belgique)." The shop is still there today, more than a hundred years later. And it's still a florist, run by Daniel Ost. Sadly, google street view went past on a day when the big metal shutter was down so you can't see it.

But doing a search for "brussels belgium 13 rue royale florist daniel ost" gives a bunch of modern day shots.

I have been inside this shop and I assure you that it is like an acid trip. But it smells great in there, and the old lady that worked there when I went (2005 or 2006?) was really nice, though she refused to speak anything but Flemish. It's definitely something cool to check out if you ever end up in Brussels.

Jesus Christ, I can only imagine driving with a hangover and that in the background. Doesn't it heat up stuff around it? It reminds me of those three buildings that look like the Hand of Nod from C&C that would burn the paint off cars or whatever... it was a few pages back but that is an equally fantastic thing.

I work in this building:

which definitely wins the award for ugliest building in the Los Angeles skyline. There was a fire that burned a few floors in the 80s, and it's an open secret that those floors were never re-occupied afterwards and that there are still a few burned out floors. The security lady showed me some pictures. It's pretty weird, that there're scorched floors like 10 stories above us.

Also, there was an earthquake yesterday down here and I found out that the building is equipped with these strange roller things in the basement; when the ground shifts they rock the building like some kind of inverse pendulum, which apparently limits structural damage but definitely caused a bit of a concern since you could really really feel the quake while you were in the building. Also, my coworker moved here from Nepal about six months ago, and I found him cowering under a desk and praying to Vishnu.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Angela Christine posted:

LOL, that architect hates social science students.

Should have been the math building.

i will never get architecture that is all about making people do annoying things during their workdays (having to ask for directions on every single corridor is just annoying no matter how ungoony you are), except maybe for an art museum building

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Plymouth Civic Centre

This pre-fab concrete and asbestos hulk held together by damp was started in 1959 as the new centre for the local council. Many such buildings popped up in the UK at around the same time, but other cities had the right mind to demolish their eyesores over the years, but not Plymouth. It turns out that this ugly monstrosity is the last building of it's type in the UK, and as such, was given English Heritage grade 2 listed protection in 2007 - at about the time the Council was planning on demolishing it.

The council moved out of the building last year, as it was literally falling down and needing £40m of renovations. The building was sold or leased to Urban Splash recently, and I believe they are planning on turning the building into apartments or a hotel.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

fuctifino posted:

held together by damp

To be fair this is true for nearly every building in the UK

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Oh man that reminds me of Swansea Civic Centre, which is where my grandad used to work:

I honestly don't think it's that bad of a building, the fun thing about it though is that it was built directly in between Swansea prison and the sea because someone realised that the prisoners actually had one of the best sea views in the city and the council were vindictive cunts.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

fuctifino posted:

The council moved out of the building last year, as it was literally falling down and needing £40m of renovations. The building was sold or leased to Urban Splash recently, and I believe they are planning on turning the building into apartments or a hotel.

I, for one, cannot wait to spend my summer staying at the asbestos towers working on my lung tan.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had to GIS to figure out how big this is, it's really hard to get a sense of perspective on the thing.

What the hell is it? Is there anything inside of it or is it just a monument to socks?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 4, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

du -hast posted:

which definitely wins the award for ugliest building in the Los Angeles skyline.

Gah, I think both of those tie for that award. Jesus that's offensive.

blowfish posted:

i will never get architecture that is all about making people do annoying things during their workdays (having to ask for directions on every single corridor is just annoying no matter how ungoony you are), except maybe for an art museum building

Has anyone mentioned the Federal Building in San Francisco yet? Looks like a bathroom that's half-finished, the cement board is up but they're still waiting on the tile to be delivered:

I will never get architects that forget that the whole point of a building is to provide people with functional spaces in which to live and work comfortably. It's very distinct from sculpture. And yet:

http://www.beyondchron.org/san-franciscos-green-building-nightmare/

quote:

The first fact about the building that may cause surprise is its lack of air conditioning or heat. According to Mayne, “a bike rack and air conditioning get you the same point. I’d much rather see BTU and CO2 requirements and let the professional community solve the problem.”

I apparently lack sufficient understanding of green technology, as it does not seem that a bike rack would “get you to the same point” in terms of keeping workers cool. In the real world on the 15th floor of the Federal Building, workers seek to relieve the heat by opening windows, which not only sends papers flying, but, depending on their proximity to the opening, makes creating a stable temperature for all workers near impossible.

When I spoke with a Labor Department worker at the building (who noted that she is encountering the type of bad work conditions that her agency is supposed to enforce against), she confirmed what might have been an urban legend: that some employees must use umbrellas to keep the sun out of their cubicles.

The lack of internal climate controls has left some workers too cold and others too hot. A happy medium has proved elusive. And while the managers’ offices do have heat and air conditioning — a two-tiered approach fitting in a building named for Bush — the “green” design apparently has messed with the effectiveness of these systems, leaving these top staff as physically uncomfortable as the line workers.

And this is amazing:

quote:

According to my source, architect Mayne has stated that federal office workers do not get enough exercise. To address this, he installed elevators in the building that only stop at every third floor. This requires employees to walk up or down one or two flights of metal stairs.

Persons with physical disabilities who cannot use stairs can use a separate elevator that stops at every floor. The foreseeable result is that employees seeking to avoid stairs use the disabled access elevator, leaving this car crammed with people and making the ride to the top extremely slow.

I am told that when the freight elevator is out of service, deliveries must use the disabled access elevator. It seems only a matter of time until a disabled worker sues the General Services Administration for providing inadequate disabled elevator access in the building.

The cafeteria's also across the street because Mayne wanted the workers to get more exercise. And despite not having air conditioning or heat (well, for the plebes), the building still failed its LEED certification.

How to the people who actually have to work in this abortion feel about it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Federal_Building

quote:

In 2010 the GSA commissioned a survey of employees in 22 federal buildings nationwide, to determine employee satisfaction with their workplaces. The San Francisco Federal Building was included in this study even though commissioning was still underway, and tenant improvements of some floors were not complete. The 22 buildings included in the study scored between a low of 13 and a high of 98% employee satisfaction. Seventeen of the 22 buildings scored above 50% employee satisfaction. While incorporating many green concepts more aggressively than other buildings, the lowest ranked building for employee satisfaction was the San Francisco Federal Building, with a rating of just 13%; the next-lowest was considered twice as satisfactory, at 26%. The San Francisco building scored well below the median in the categories of thermal comfort, lighting and acoustics.[10]

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 4, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The Land of the Reflected Sun.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Racine, WI has this UFO thing from Frank Lloyd Wright. It's a part of SC Johnson which has an even bigger more normalish building that is really cool, but the UFO thing is kinda WTF when you drive past it.

When I went past there was a ladder going right up into the bottom middle and some dude going in and out.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Isn't Racine full of modernist architecture or something like that? Like flw gas stations and dinners and stuff.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Tunga posted:

I had to GIS to figure out how big this is, it's really hard to get a sense of perspective on the thing.

What the hell is it? Is there anything inside of it or is it just a monument to socks?

the armoire is about 2-2.5 stories tall, and theres a regular building in the back, although i have no idea whats in it, i havent been to high point in about a decade.

and basically, yeah. the whole city was built on furniture manufacturing so it's a monument to dressers

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Onion Knight posted:

Just look at this fucker:

How can you hate having a life-sized replica of the Eye of Sauron in your city?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The men's bathroom has a glass wall behind the urinals on the observation deck. Makes it feel like you're peeing on the ground hundreds of feet below.

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

Phanatic posted:

Has anyone mentioned the Federal Building in San Francisco yet? Looks like a bathroom that's half-finished, the cement board is up but they're still waiting on the tile to be delivered:

I will never get architects that forget that the whole point of a building is to provide people with functional spaces in which to live and work comfortably. It's very distinct from sculpture. And yet:

And this is amazing:

The cafeteria's also across the street because Mayne wanted the workers to get more exercise. And despite not having air conditioning or heat (well, for the plebes), the building still failed its LEED certification.

i don't want to defend to sf federal building but i'd like to address a bit of ignorance in the first quote there

quote:

The first fact about the building that may cause surprise is its lack of air conditioning or heat. According to Mayne, “a bike rack and air conditioning get you the same point. I’d much rather see BTU and CO2 requirements and let the professional community solve the problem.”

I apparently lack sufficient understanding of green technology, as it does not seem that a bike rack would “get you to the same point” in terms of keeping workers cool. In the real world on the 15th floor of the Federal Building, workers seek to relieve the heat by opening windows, which not only sends papers flying, but, depending on their proximity to the opening, makes creating a stable temperature for all workers near impossible.

when thom mayne says that a/c and a bike rack get you "the same point", he's talking about LEED points, which are tallied up for your eventual LEED classification. putting in a bike rack is a cheap and easy way of scoring LEED points, even if your building is impossible to commute to via bike. that's one of several problems with the LEED system and i can see where mayne is coming from talking about letting the professional community find solutions for hitting hard targets like BTU etc. on the other hand the building in question is pretty fail

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Tunga posted:

There's an actual building behind it. High Point, NC is (or used to be, at least) the furniture capital of the US, if not the world. And thus, you get things like that.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Phanatic posted:

And this is amazing:

you fat government fuckers shoulde exercise more, therefore I'm going to make you uncomfortable for 8 hours a day - a good architect

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

This is the ugliest building in the thread to me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Blistex posted:

The men's bathroom has a glass wall behind the urinals on the observation deck. Makes it feel like you're peeing on the ground hundreds of feet below.

I want to go to Korea just to have this pissing experience.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...now I legit wonder if the South has a thing for random-rear end pyramids because I work within walking distance of this

amusingly about six years ago these people built a huge amusement park back around the suburbs, which was then sold and rebranded a year later, and then closed down after another year and now all the stuff is sold off, Good Job

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

anchoress posted:

when thom mayne says that a/c and a bike rack get you "the same point", he's talking about LEED points, which are tallied up for your eventual LEED classification. putting in a bike rack is a cheap and easy way of scoring LEED points, even if your building is impossible to commute to via bike. that's one of several problems with the LEED system and i can see where mayne is coming from talking about letting the professional community find solutions for hitting hard targets like BTU etc. on the other hand the building in question is pretty fail

Making thousands of people uncomfortable for a significant part of their life and costing the government millions per year in lost productivity sounds like a great way to make a point about industry standards.
If the market for office buildings in SF is anything like it is here in a few years people are going to realise that making all your employees uncomfortable is a terrible strategy and the building will be torn down because retrofitting actual climate control will be more expensive than a new building. Causing much CO2 release in the process.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gyra_Solune posted:

...now I legit wonder if the South has a thing for random-rear end pyramids because I work within walking distance of this

amusingly about six years ago these people built a huge amusement park back around the suburbs, which was then sold and rebranded a year later, and then closed down after another year and now all the stuff is sold off, Good Job

Well, there is a city called Memphis...

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

PT6A posted:

I want to go to Korea just to have this pissing experience.

Top of the Shard has urinals with a glass wall backing as well.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

A children's hospital

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Airstream Driver posted:

A children's hospital

Used to work across the road from it, the older wings around the other side have the spooky Victorian facades and up until the late 90s still had that beige and bleach feeling of 'spooky hospital' about it when I went there as a child. It was cooler when it was all a bit more like if David Lynch was filming a British hospital drama vibe about it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

A children's hospital

The Incredible Hulk goatse building

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

Dienes posted:

Speaking of pyramids, we have the Steelcase Pyramid in Grand Rapids.

Its been out of use for years, though, to the point that the parking lot is mostly grass. The creepy part is at night it lights up in red.

Well now I have a "Stupid thing to buy in case of Lottery winnings" property. The land around it look perfect for a Logans Run-esque walking garden before you arrive at my Renew-Center. (of doom)

But in Michigan...eh.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Smuggins posted:

Well now I have a "Stupid thing to buy in case of Lottery winnings" property. The land around it look perfect for a Logans Run-esque walking garden before you arrive at my Renew-Center. (of doom)

But in Michigan...eh.

You get a lot more bang for your buck in a flyover state. Buy your fortress of doom, and have enough money left over for a zombie apocalypse cosplay site in detroit.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Angela Christine posted:

You get a lot more bang for your buck in a flyover state. Buy your fortress of doom, and have enough money left over for a zombie apocalypse cosplay site in detroit.

Its about 2 blocks from the Grand Rapids airport, so you get decent visibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

popewiles posted:

This is the ugliest building in the thread to me.

It's weird-looking but I kind of like it (helps that I don't have to work in it :smug:). A couple more shots of it:

It's way more interesting than the other federal building in SF:

• Locked thread