Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

GlyphGryph posted:

God drat people are loving stupid. Now people are latching on to the "well this police officer was shot in the head are people gonna riot about that?" and I want to slap the stupid out of them, but I know it won't help. What the gently caress is wrong with these morons? How broken are people's brains to come to this conclusion? What is the emotional or intellectual cause of this? I just can't comprehend it.

I am just so goddamn frustrated right now.

quote:

“In that career, he had made over 150 arrests, protecting and serving the citizens of this city. He had already received two exceptional police service medals and two meritorious police service medals. We don’t give them out easily.”

Dude was probably a garbage human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

He owed somebody money and didn't pay. Simple.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Dead Reckoning posted:

They probably feel the same way about you, if they think about you at all.

The difference is regardless of how right or wrong I am it doesn't matter because I'm not advocating for policies that involve locking conservatives in a cage, while that's exactly what they want for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Mattybee posted:

Hi! I work with teenagers in a residential facility. If you are so scared of a Literal Five Year Old Child that you need to have the police handle it...

a) You are a gigantic loving baby.
b) You are totally unqualified for your job.

There is no goddamn circumstance in which the police should need to be called to arrest a Literal Five Year Old Child. Jesus Christ.

I dunno, those kids can kick pretty hard sometimes

*tases pre-K student*

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno, those kids can kick pretty hard sometimes

*tases pre-K student*

Didn't a cop taze an elementary schooler for touching his car recently?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

LorrdErnie posted:

Dude was probably a garbage human being.
wut

Dead Reckoning posted:

They probably feel the same way about you, if they think about you at all.
I'm not entirely sure you understand what I was getting at here.

Jarmak posted:

Its a complete lack of critical thinking other then to determine where a new fact fits in their predetermined narrative.

For more examples see half this thread
This makes sense. I guess it's just that desire to see something as an opportunity to push a narrative and seeing an opportunity to do so, without caring or knowing anything about the actual topic. It's probably somewhere between fitting the narrative and going for cheap gotcha to score points for their side.

I guess it's like the people on twitter who posted the faked photos and then denied there was anything wrong with that - being right just isn't an important consideration here.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 5, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Mattybee posted:

Hi! I work with teenagers in a residential facility. If you are so scared of a Literal Five Year Old Child that you need to have the police handle it...
I imagine you're trained to restrain people and also protected from liability. Teachers are neither of those things.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

I am sure there are one or two people who have been recognized as exceptional people by the NYPD and aren't terrible but really if you're looking good to that organization I can't imagine it's very likely you're not arresting and fining people over all sorts of petty poo poo in order to get your numbers up.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Didn't a cop taze an elementary schooler for touching his car recently?

Holy crap! :stonk:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The Mattybee posted:

a) You are a gigantic loving baby.
b) You are totally unqualified for your job.

There is no goddamn circumstance in which the police should need to be called to arrest a Literal Five Year Old Child. Jesus Christ.

The reason I'm not so upset about them restraining kids isn't so much that they're a danger but fact they're stupid loving parents will probably go apeshit and sue if teachers use any physical force whatsoever to protect themselves or other kids from their rampaging snowflake.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Thats pretty loving awful but at least this guy looks like he's getting slammed.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

The lawsuit claims police officers drove their patrol cars onto the intermediate school campus, where Webb asked a group of boys which one would like to clean his patrol unit.

R.D. raised his hand to say he did not want to clean the police officer's car.

Webb then said, according to the lawsuit, "Let me show what happens to people who do not listen to the police." He then "shot his Taser gun at the boy's chest," said the family's attorney Shannon Kennedy of the Kennedy Law Firm of Albuquerque.

Holy gently caress what an utter psychopath.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jarmak posted:

Thats pretty loving awful but at least this guy looks like he's getting slammed.

Hahaha, no.

http://www.abqjournal.com/247508/news/state-settles-lawsuit-over-tasered-child.html

VVV :wink:

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 5, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
^^^^ Let me show you what happens to people who beat me to a link.

Jarmak posted:

Why would you think that?

http://www.abqjournal.com/247508/news/state-settles-lawsuit-over-tasered-child.html

To be honest I doubt he did it on purpose, but just like a gun pointing a taser at someone you don't intend to tase is loving stupid and will end up with you tasing someone you don't mean to. The good thing is that there will be no repercussions for the officer, whew!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Holy gently caress what an utter psychopath.

That's the only thing that gave me a slight pause in believing the kid over the cop, the kid's story is just loving over the top evil its like a parody of a comic book villain.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

ABQ Journal posted:

U.S. Magistrate Judge William Lynch approved the settlement – the precise amount of which is confidential – at a hearing earlier this month, and the lawsuit was dismissed Monday with “no admission, finding or implication of negligence, liability or wrongdoing” by the officer, Chris Webb.

Body cameras need to be mandatory.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

To be honest I doubt he did it on purpose, but just like a gun pointing a taser at someone you don't intend to tase is loving stupid and will end up with you tasing someone you don't mean to. The good thing is that there will be no repercussions for the officer, whew!

What does that link supposed to prove at all? Of course the state settled the lawsuit that they had absolutely no chance of winning, I was talking about this from the original article:

quote:

Webb has been charged with battery, failure to render emergency medical care, unreasonable seizure and excessive force.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Jarmak posted:

The government settled claiming no wrong doing by itself or the officer.

quote:

In its response, the state said Webb was also joking around, and that the weapon fire was an accidental discharge. The state denied Webb made the comment about what happens to people who don’t listen to police.

The state admitted that at least one of the barbs penetrated the shirt but said legal precedent in federal court bars suit for an officer’s accidental, negligent or careless use of force.

The guy got suspended for 3 days for tasering a child.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm always happy that we can pay huge amounts of money to make sure that AT BEST incompetent police that point weapons at children and fire them accidentally are kept employed.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

quote:

Webb has been charged with battery, failure to render emergency medical care, unreasonable seizure and excessive force.

These charges sound familiar.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Lemming posted:

According to somebody in the first link there's a safety you have to disengage so you don't shoot yourself in the dick while driving. Not to mention having to put your finger on the loving trigger and pull it. It just really seems like a stretch for it to be an accident.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shooting someone "by accident" takes about three different steps that are incredibly unsafe. So even if we have to pretend that he didn't do it intentionally he went way out of his way to make an incredibly dangerous situation around a group of 10 years olds.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
^^^^^ Agreed, and he should be convicted of criminal charges. I can't find any other follow up, though, so my guess is they were dismissed.

LorrdErnie posted:

According to somebody in the first link there's a safety you have to disengage so you don't shoot yourself in the dick while driving. Not to mention having to put your finger on the loving trigger and pull it. It just really seems like a stretch for it to be an accident.

He was probably trying to joke back. The kid made a joke by raising his hand and saying "I DON'T want to clean it, ha ha" and he was probably trying to make a lovely police brutality joke, and then did it for real.

I say this just because tasing a kid for no reason in broad daylight is so egregiously, monumentally stupid I don't think anyone would do that on purpose. Pointing a taser at a child is already monumentally loving stupid, though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Hey man just because it's a three sigma event doesn't mean it's entirely impossible. Obviously the stars aligned just right and the kid just had some really atrocious luck. Let's just ignore all the evidence that the cop was doing something deliberately and/or just flat out extremely negligent he's a cop his job is stressful. Just ignore that we use the same argument every time a cop fucks up and give them a free pass to do whatever they want, whenever they want, all the time.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Lemming posted:

He was probably trying to joke back. The kid made a joke by raising his hand and saying "I DON'T want to clean it, ha ha" and he was probably trying to make a lovely police brutality joke, and then did it for real.

I say this just because tasing a kid for no reason in broad daylight is so egregiously, monumentally stupid I don't think anyone would do that on purpose. Pointing a taser at a child is already monumentally loving stupid, though.

Have you been following the news lately? Tamir Rice comes to mind.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Lemming posted:

^^^^^ Agreed, and he should be convicted of criminal charges. I can't find any other follow up, though, so my guess is they were dismissed.

How would you like to be a police defence laywer?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jarmak posted:

What does that link supposed to prove at all? Of course the state settled the lawsuit that they had absolutely no chance of winning, I was talking about this from the original article:

I was confused by this as well. This seems unrelated to the federal suit. It seems like he must have got off on them as well, though? Just quietly dropped?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jarmak posted:

The reason I'm not so upset about them restraining kids isn't so much that they're a danger but fact they're stupid loving parents will probably go apeshit and sue if teachers use any physical force whatsoever to protect themselves or other kids from their rampaging snowflake.

Regarding that specific case, the local news article is much longer and more comprehensive. The whole thing sounds like kind of a shitshow because if anyone is to be believed the kid was having a serious episode and not just laying on the floor screaming or something. But the school apparently waited two hours into his tantrum, and then called the police and only notified the parents when the kid was being taken to hospital for evaluation - instead of calling them an hour into the whole thing, which very possibly would have solved the problem?

It's significant that this wasn't just a kid acting out, he has diagnosed issues and the parents had set up a individualized plan for handling those that included having the school contact them if he was out of control.

Honestly this looks like one of those cases where the real problem is that we call police to deal with people with non-criminal problems. The police treated him like an unruly suspect, when he probably needed to be attended by some sort of medical professional experienced with handling his conditions, not a couple of beat cops. I don't know what would have been a better option (besides just calling the parents, obviously) maybe EMTs? We don't give a poo poo about mental health support so here we are with no effective emergency response to mental health problems.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Shooting into a crowd and killing an innocent black woman isn't reckless homicide because firing a gun is always intentional and never reckless, but tasering a kid for admittedly no reason is totally an accident haha whoops!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Melthir posted:

Honestly I'm kind of meh on this one. Ive had to deal with combative little kids having an incident before. Been told parents were contacted they never were. Trying to get the kid who is feaking out and freaking others out in to an ambulance. Is a quite a bit rougher than you would imagine.

Anyone who says a well aimed kick from a five year old wouldn't hurt is either full of crap or hasn't seen a six foot physically fit emt get droped by a kick to the temple. If the kid is going bat poo poo and even being slightly aggressive im pretty much willing to let the leg restraints slide. Little kids give no fucks about who they hurt when they are scared. lovely situation on both ends. Feel bad for the kid though that poo poo must have been scary.

If a kid is really that rambunctious then you risk causing the kid physical harm if you handcuff and shackle them. There are people that work with grown people who don't and can't resort to restraints immediately.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

blackguy32 posted:

If a kid is really that rambunctious then you risk causing the kid physical harm if you handcuff and shackle them. There are people that work with grown people who don't and can't resort to restraints immediately.
None of those people are employed by the state to respond to phone calls. Basically if anyone needs to be restrained and you aren't already in a hospital-type environment the police are your only safe option. Any other choice ends up with everyone getting their poo poo sued.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Ashcans posted:

It's significant that this wasn't just a kid acting out, he has diagnosed issues and the parents had set up a individualized plan for handling those that included having the school contact them if he was out of control.

If that plan is actually in the kid's IEP, there can be serious loving repercussions for violating it, too. Like, loss of teaching cert / firing from administrative positions repercussions. My ex-mother-in-law was a Special Ed teacher, and she was threatened with immediate termination for "violating" a student's updated IEP. More specifically, they actually told her he was fired right then and there, and would be contacting the state to have her SpEd certificate revoked. Problem was, the SpEd coordinator hadn't actually made that updated IEP available, just changed the date on the one already in the system. Guess who was summarily terminated instead?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

This makes sense. I guess it's just that desire to see something as an opportunity to push a narrative and seeing an opportunity to do so, without caring or knowing anything about th,e actual topic. It's probably somewhere between fitting the narrative and going for cheap gotcha to score points for their side.

Look, a perfect example:

Stereotype posted:

Shooting into a crowd and killing an innocent black woman isn't reckless homicide because firing a gun is always intentional and never reckless, but tasering a kid for admittedly no reason is totally an accident haha whoops!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Basically if anyone needs to be restrained

Why do people need to be restrained all the time? Why do americans think being restrained is the go to in every situation? It seems counter intuitive, if someone is freaking out how is locking them up and preventing them from moving going to make them calm down? Who was this kid hurting by not being restrained? Was he going around stabbing people or something?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Radish posted:

Shooting someone "by accident" takes about three different steps that are incredibly unsafe. So even if we have to pretend that he didn't do it intentionally he went way out of his way to make an incredibly dangerous situation around a group of 10 years olds.

Yeah, even giving the cop every single benefit of the doubt and assuming the kid flat out lied about what was said, you never ever point a loving weapon at something you don't intend to shoot, whether it's a taser or a loaded firearm. That's rule number one they teach Boy Scouts before allowing them to even touch a weapon.

Three days suspension and no admission of wrongdoing for recklessly pointing a weapon at a child and somehow "accidentally" firing it is ridiculous. If you mishandle a loaded gun like that at a recreational firing range you'd probably be banned for life and rightfully so, yet we somehow have a much lighter standard of professionalism and accountability for police officers.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 5, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If you mishandle a loaded gun like that at a recreational firing range you'd probably be banned for life and rightfully so, yet we somehow have a much lighter standard of professionalism and accountability for professional officers.

They have a stressful job, sometimes you make a mistake and taze a child, I'm sure you've made mistakes at your job too!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jarmak posted:

Look, a perfect example:

An officer was not convinced of reckless homicide because firing a weapon and striking someone is by definition always intentional. The police in another district declared that an officer did nothing wrong and it was an accident that he fired a weapon directly at someone.

Those are real world examples of the law being used in exactly the opposite way for situations in which a weapon was handled irresponsibly, and somehow no one is facing any punishment.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stereotype posted:

An officer was not convinced of reckless homicide because firing a weapon and striking someone is by definition always intentional. The police in another district declared that an officer did nothing wrong and it was an accident that he fired a weapon directly at someone.

Those are real world examples of the law being used in exactly the opposite way for situations in which a weapon was handled irresponsibly, and somehow no one is facing any punishment.

In that case it was the prosecutor's fault, I think, the cop should have been charged with the non-reckless version (I dunno what it was called exactly) and the judge said they would have been found guilty of that, but the prosecutor only charged them with the unintentional version so hur dur off for a technicality, the system works :downs:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

None of those people are employed by the state to respond to phone calls. Basically if anyone needs to be restrained and you aren't already in a hospital-type environment the police are your only safe option.

"Safe" is a loaded term here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Stereotype posted:

Jarmak, you may have a point. Although this seems a lot more like garden variety stupidity, and while I've read plenty of that from people as well, it seems qualitatively different than the "Why aren't people rioting when this guy gets shot?" smug gotchas. I'll have to think longer on why I have such a different reaction to them.

(Stereotype, hint: In the first case the weapon was intentionally fired, the argument in the second case was that it wasn't intentionally fired)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 5, 2015

• Locked thread