Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The single player is bad but the local multiplayer was fun if you knew anyone else with the game (good luck with that in 2015 though)

I tried the online a few times but I always ran into hackers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So Fantasy Life is really really fun, and good. I'm not really sure why, since it seems to be all the grinding of an mmo, without the real meat or social interaction that gives you an incentive to grind. But for some reason I like it. I think part of it is that the game doesn't feel like it's standing in your way. Like in an mmo, you usually can't just buy stuff off a vendor, craft something, and sell it back for a profit, because people would exploit that. Fantasy Life says "sure, you can totally do that if you want, who cares?"

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender posted:

So Fantasy Life is really really fun, and good. I'm not really sure why, since it seems to be all the grinding of an mmo, without the real meat or social interaction that gives you an incentive to grind. But for some reason I like it. I think part of it is that the game doesn't feel like it's standing in your way. Like in an mmo, you usually can't just buy stuff off a vendor, craft something, and sell it back for a profit, because people would exploit that. Fantasy Life says "sure, you can totally do that if you want, who cares?"

There is a cooking recipe with fish that is very lucrative. You can get all the materials from the vendor in the third big city, and it's even right next to the crafting station.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

People playing the fishing streetpass game: When I combine two of the same rod to make a better rod, does the stats of the rods matter? I know that combining two of the same rod lets you improve the new one more (I have two Toy Rods, for example) but I am wondering if it starts with better stats if you improve the rods before combining them?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Help Im Alive posted:

The single player is bad but the local multiplayer was fun if you knew anyone else with the game (good luck with that in 2015 though)

I tried the online a few times but I always ran into hackers

I never ran into hackers, happily. I loved the multiplayer. Rock dude and dude who turned into a centipede thing were my favorites. Yes these well-fleshed out characters obviously left an impression on me, I know.

I slogged through the single-player and it wasn't very great, but it was somewhat impressive at least.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

kid icarus uprising is literally the best 3DS game and I won't hear any more poo poo talk about the controls

sit down in bed/on couch, prop pillow in lap, set 3DS on pillow and play

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

People playing the fishing streetpass game: When I combine two of the same rod to make a better rod, does the stats of the rods matter? I know that combining two of the same rod lets you improve the new one more (I have two Toy Rods, for example) but I am wondering if it starts with better stats if you improve the rods before combining them?

Upgrading the rods by combining two toy rods will increase how many times you can improve the toy rod. My treasure rod +3 can have up to 6 improvements, which is just enough to max out its stats.

Combining a +3 rod with a base rod will result in a +3 of the new rod, so you won't lose your accumulated upgrades. My treasure rod +3 plus .. I think it was a toy rod, actually, would have resulted in another 2* rod that would still have been a +3, but I didn't do it since it was a worse rod overall.

However, you can effectively lose upgrades via truncation if the new rod has a lower maximum for a particular stat.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Minidust posted:

It's one of the few games I flat-out gave up on. I tried to like it but I found it physically uncomfortable to play, and the neverending bullet-sponge boss fights sure didn't help.

You could shoot them in the head and they would die faster.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
3DS thread, I need your help in getting a new 3DS game for my Mom for her birthday. Over Christmas, I got her a 3DS XL and Animal Crossing. She as been loving Animal Crossing (she used to play the gamecube one a decade ago) but she is starting to run out of things to do.

So, does anyone have some suggestions for something similar I could get for her? She didn't seem too terribly interested in Harvest Moon (she watched my niece play it on an older system a few times).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fryhtaning posted:

Upgrading the rods by combining two toy rods will increase how many times you can improve the toy rod. My treasure rod +3 can have up to 6 improvements, which is just enough to max out its stats.

Combining a +3 rod with a base rod will result in a +3 of the new rod, so you won't lose your accumulated upgrades. My treasure rod +3 plus .. I think it was a toy rod, actually, would have resulted in another 2* rod that would still have been a +3, but I didn't do it since it was a worse rod overall.

However, you can effectively lose upgrades via truncation if the new rod has a lower maximum for a particular stat.

Do the improvements you make to the rods carry over to the new one? That's really what I'm worried about. I understand that a +1 can be improved 4 times, etc. but I don't know if I should improve the base Toy Rods before combining them or if that's a waste of money.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Havoc904 posted:

3DS thread, I need your help in getting a new 3DS game for my Mom for her birthday. Over Christmas, I got her a 3DS XL and Animal Crossing. She as been loving Animal Crossing (she used to play the gamecube one a decade ago) but she is starting to run out of things to do.

So, does anyone have some suggestions for something similar I could get for her? She didn't seem too terribly interested in Harvest Moon (she watched my niece play it on an older system a few times).

Have you looked into Fantasy Life? Super casual RPG where you can pick a multitude of classes, including non combat ones, and do various missions. It's basically a single player MMO with a cute aesthetic, and open-ended gameplay.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Havoc904 posted:

Tomodachi Life sound up her alley.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Havoc904 posted:

Seconding the recommendation of Fantasy Life. It has a similar aesthetic to Animal Crossing and a really charming sense of humor. Plus it's a really chill game with lots to do, and not that difficult.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Since the guys at Marvelous Europe have been quite active on their social media, I asked some questions about Deep Crimson

Me posted:

Hi everyone, just a few questions about the game.
I’ve noticed that the plan is for the localization to include all the patches out of the box, correct? Well, I played the Japanese version and the first patch make significant changes to the game difficulty to make it easier. Is there any chance that you guys could implement the original difficult somehow?

This game has a beautiful song that plays over the credits with some line of dialogue between the performers. Will that dialogue be subbed or even better, will be the whole song subbed?

And just got these answers

Marvelous Europe posted:

Hello Dark_Tzitzimine, I’m afraid that we will be aiming to push the patch with the base game, although there is difficult settings for individual missions*. As for the question regarding subtitles, I will check our working build and get back to you with the results, and the plans depending on how the results are.

Knowing that we will get the defanged game is such a big dissapointment. The game was hard for the franchise but fr an action game it was still on the easy side.

It was such a great challenge originally :smith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like SMT games a lot, but I haven't touched the Devil Survivor games. The character designs make me want to punch every character in the throat.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Jarogue posted:

I wish that stand come out with Metroid Prime Hunter since both games share the same control scheme .

The stand is pretty mandatory for Taiko no Tatsujin, as well :{

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Tyma posted:

The stand is pretty mandatory for Taiko no Tatsujin, as well :{

no it ain't you just gotta get better

or use the face buttons

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Havoc904 posted:

Monster Hunter :getin:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

get your mom a layton if she likes puzzles

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Pic Pic (DS) if she likes puzzles, too. Although it's not technically a 3DS game, my mum has completed all of the Drawing puzzles 3 times now.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like SMT games a lot, but I haven't touched the Devil Survivor games. The character designs make me want to punch every character in the throat.

The Art is awesome. The boobs defy gravity

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I don't think your mom needs another shot of (faux) Animal Crossing so soon. Get her Layton instead. Chicks dig puzzles.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Theta Zero posted:

How was Metroid Prime Hunters, by the way? Is it worth trying to pick up a copy?

Back in the day it was, the multiplayer was fantastic.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
get your mom a life b/c there's no way she'd play a 3ds unless she was a loser

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mods???

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Smoremaster posted:

Monster Hunter :getin:

Well, we've gotten the 'Dark Souls' response out of the way at least.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

Well, we've gotten the 'Dark Souls' response out of the way at least.

:darksouls:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

honestly dark souls is easier than monster hunter

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Awesome! posted:

honestly dark souls is easier than monster hunter

Neither are particularly hard...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

relative to your average game they're both really hard actually

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm a pro gamer so I don't play "average games"

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what is the dark souls of anime titty games

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Criminal Girls

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

good news mom, i bought you a vita!

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Monster Mompiece

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Awesome! posted:

good news mom, i bought you a vita!

That's one will to be written out of the will.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Jarogue posted:

Tomodachi Life sound up her alley.

Went with this for her birthday since she loves downloading Miis. Figure it will hold her over until Sunday, when I can give her:

Silver Falcon posted:

Seconding the recommendation of Fantasy Life. It has a similar aesthetic to Animal Crossing and a really charming sense of humor. Plus it's a really chill game with lots to do, and not that difficult.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I wasn't even joking, my girlfriend usually plays really casual games but she's in love with MH4U. :shrug:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Smoremaster posted:

I wasn't even joking, my girlfriend usually plays really casual games but she's in love with MH4U. :shrug:

Probably all the gardening and bug catching, chicks love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I returned my unopened copy of MHU4 for Xenoblade 3D and I, well...let's just say I'm feeling it.