Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I have nothing against quarterbackable games (Ghost Stories is a 9 in my book) but Robinson Crusoe is imo a pretty bad game. Rutibex is right that it's best as a solo game, but at that point there's a ton of setup, fiddlyness and teardown for what can amount to 20 minutes of unsatisfying gameplay because Ignacy just couldn't bear to make his game less random. People talk about the game being too hard at times but it's even worse when Robinson Crusoe decides to be nice and you just coast through the scenario with your decisions barely mattering.

For the amount of effort required to do a game of Robinson Crusoe solo I could play Mage Knight instead which is just way more rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yomi hits Steam this Friday, 9.99 for the first week.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

S.J. posted:

Yomi hits Steam this Friday, 9.99 for the first week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

E: Gonna quote a post I made in the imp zone board game thread, for anyone looking for Hot Newbie Tips

Countblanc posted:

hm. unfortunately it's much more character-based than PS (which is already pretty asymmetrical), so a single beginner strategy doesn't really work as well, and i definitely don't know any beginner guides like that. they might exist but i wouldn't know where to point for them aside from the official forums and it sounds like you've already exhausted that.

if i had to give some Hot Tips that can be applied fairly generally i'd say:

- block early, dodge late. blocking increases your handsize, which means increasing your options. not just in terms of cards you can play in combat, but also viable combo trees as well as defensive options like bluff fodder for bursts (or just getting Jokers faster). dodging meanwhile is a much more aggressive defensive option, since a correct guess means you get a free hit. this can be huge attacks like pumped face cards or even aces, or just a throw to force a knockdown. either way you generally want a big hand before you start dodging to make the guess "worth it," especially since characters generally have fewer dodges than blocks.

- know your cards and combos. it seems like a silly thing since unlike real fighting games Yomi has no execution requirement, but you need to know your deck's options and keep them in mind as much as possible. lets use Geiger as an example; he has attacks on 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7. This means his only actual straight is 5 > 6 > 7. if you're holding onto a 2, 3, and 5 waiting to draw a 4 attack for a nice fast 4-card straight you're gonna be waiting a long time, and you could be using that 2 and 3 to bully certain characters who have slower attacks while not losing hand advantage (since numbered Attacks ["normals"] draw you a card if they hit or are blocked, but not dodged).

- card count like a tryhard. the online client is super good about this since you can just click someone's discard pile and it splays it out nice and fast, and you should absolutely be taking advantage of this. this sorta goes in with knowing your deck, but you gotta know your opponents' too. if you're against a Grave and see two aces in his discard pile you don't have to be as afraid of dodges because his strongest (and one of his most common) punish is dodge > AAA for 45 damage. it doesn't mean he WON'T dodge, either because he knows you know he knows etc etc, or maybe he has a big hand and can spare dropping a pumped king for damage since it'll push you below 12 health and now you're terrified of a single Ace.

- take more risks when your health is higher since having momentum is huge in Yomi, but don't be afraid to make The Big Plays at low health either since you probably have more resources at your disposal.

here's some heuristics that were given as examples for what they used when programming Yomibot, maybe they'll help you:

quote:

- "Low-hand opponents are more likely to block"
- "Blocking while knocked down is dangerous"
- "Damage is unimportant when facing a Bubble Shield Argagarg, but it's still important to win combat"
- "Beware of low blocks against Onimaru"
- "Jaina players like to attack more than usual"
- "Long Range BBB's relevant attack speeds are 1.0 and 2.2"
- "Against Unstable Power Jaina, it's best to either block against her 2-5, or use an attack that beats her 6"
- "Avoid blocking when at very low life, to avoid dying to chip damage"
- "Prefer blocking with less valuable cards, like those that don't have abilities on them"
- "As Setsuki, try to combo the opponent in such a way to drop to 0 or 1 cards, to trigger your innate"
- "Remember any aces that the opponent powers up for, to gauge how important it is to combo escape their hits later"
- "Don't block as much as usual against Geiger, who can Time Stop your blocks"
- "Drawing cards is less relevant in the endgame than it is in the early game"
- "Don't power up for a single ace if we don't have a single ace move anyway"
- "Very fast moves like Grave Q are good at winning combat, so they are valuable -- avoid comboing into them without a good reason to"

lastly check out SouthpawHare's youtube channel. I haven't watched all of his stuff, but he and some other Good Players do commentated tournaments regularly and hearing people talk about why plays were or were not good (or just predicting future ones) helps you learn immensely.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SouthpawHare/videos

they also made a tutorial vid but from watching the first few minutes it seems REALLY elementary so idk how helpful it is, might be woreth checking out though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nol2pJjvQh0

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 5, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I played a bunch of Frank's Zoo this weekend. It's a team trick taking game where your teammate changes in between hands, based on score and who is leading. It also supports odd numbers of players. I'm not deep in the trick scene but this seemed pretty good and flexible with different player counts and skill levels. The teammate changing gimmick is kind of neat

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

If you like that you should check out some Tarock games. Slovenian Tarock has hidden partnerships which are pretty cool. Whoever successfully bids the contract for the hand calls for a partner by naming a suit and whoever has the king of that suit is the declarer's partner. Of course, nobody but the person holding the king will know who is the partner until the king is played to the trick.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

What's the difference between Keyflower second and third editions (Huch)? I've seen some descriptions of the rule updates from 1e to 2e, but there's pretty much no info on the third edition. Is it just another run?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Has DXV mentioned whether he's done with Dominion for now, or working on a new expansion? Also, I guess there is supposed to be a Kingdom Builder expansion some time this summer and another big Eclipse expansion this year, according to the designers of each on BGG forums.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Has DXV mentioned whether he's done with Dominion for now, or working on a new expansion? Also, I guess there is supposed to be a Kingdom Builder expansion some time this summer and another big Eclipse expansion this year, according to the designers of each on BGG forums.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/18107269#18107269

Donald X. posted:

I have no plans for more expansions. I also had no plans for more expansions a year ago (I started working on Adventures in May 2014). So I mean. We don't have much data to work from here, but we have that. If you want assurance one way or the other, I can't give it to you.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That is the nicest way of saying "I have no loving clue, seriously"

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder how much money DXV has made from Dominion. It seems like a not poo poo mobile version could have made a lot of moola

Speaking of, it sounds like the new digital dominion will be out this summer :neckbeard:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

At some point, you've gotta call it a day. I mean what about the people with storage solutions? And well. As I have said repeatedly, there are good reasons to switch from expansions to spin-offs. You run out of simple things to do. You already have endless variety with 8 expansions. There are things you can do in spin-offs that you can't do in expansions.

All that still stands. But I made a spin-off, and then took the Dominion part out; it's Kingdom Builder. And I made another spin-off, and took the Dominion part out; it's Temporum. At some point it was clear: even if I managed to make some spin-offs, I wasn't just going to crank out an endless series of them. So eventually I would make another Dominion expansion. The publishers and fans would want it, and I wouldn't be able to say, here's another spin-off instead. And one day in May 2014, I had nothing else going on, and it seemed like, well, maybe it's time to see what's left to do. And there was stuff to do, so I did it.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1359309/secret-history-dominion-adventures

I wish more board game designers talked to us :allears:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone else going to Gencon? Just found out I'll be in Indianapolis for two weeks that just happens to coincide with it, so I'm about to order my badge. :woop:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Me and my bros will be! Kinda looking for a fourth dude to round out our gaming group for the events too.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone else going to Gencon?

I live in Indianapolis :c00l:

So, yes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Texibus posted:

Me and my bros will be! Kinda looking for a fourth dude to round out our gaming group for the events too.

What kinda stuff do you guys tend to play? I"m pretty open to anything and never been before, so it'd be nice to have a group to do that stuff with. I don't have PMs, but feel free to email me defeldus@gmail.com

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I will be at GenCon again this year. I usually buy my ticket + hotel the day they open up as well as getting our group True Dungeon tickets.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

What kinda stuff do you guys tend to play? I"m pretty open to anything and never been before, so it'd be nice to have a group to do that stuff with. I don't have PMs, but feel free to email me defeldus@gmail.com

Only thing we haven't gotten into very much is Role Playing games, aside from that we play most everything else. However, I think I'm going to sign-up for one event that will help me learn a RPG system.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Right now pretty much anything that's fun to play for a varied experience group. We've got few board game vets a few newer people so we're a bit of a mixed group. I don't think I've really nailed down a specific type of genre of board games I like but we do like co-op games quite a bit. Hardcore probably not so much but I'll take a look if it's good enough!

hmm, OK

If you're looking for a good coop, space alert's easily the king of the heap, it's frantic and can be hard as nails and it doesn't have the quarterbacking problem that other coop games get (where the loudest guy slash best guy at the game calls all the shots and everyone else just kind of twiddles their thumbs) because it's real-time and there's just too much going on for anyone to keep track of and oh god why did barry white come over the loudspeaker WHY IS THAT OCTOPUS LOOKING AT US LIKE THAT

as far as other games go, not sure how many people you've got so i'll try to give a spread. kemet's pretty good if your looking for an area control game, it's cutthroat and super aggressive and surprisingly well balanced. it only works if your group's ok with being super aggro with each other though, i've played one game where no one fought anyone and it was awful\

dominion's like the best entry-level games i can think of because it's super easy to pick up and also incredibly deep, especially once you start adding expansions. if you get expansions, buy them in release order except you can skip alchemy because most of the cards range from bad to boring. apprentice is super cool though

if your group's ok with super frantic games, get galaxy trucker. it's by the same guy that did space alert and a bunch of other incredibly good games, and it's frantic and hilarious. essentially everyone's building a spaceship out of garbage and flying it through the uncaring shithole of space, then bad stuff happens and everything blows up. incredibly fun, plays pretty quick, 5/5 great game

if anyone else replies to this splendor's probably going to show up on their lists because it's the new poo poo, don't get it. it's an ok quickish game but it's hilariously shallow once you get a few plays in. that being said if you're looking for a copy i've got one i'll sell cheap

i'm also going to plug tash-kalar because it's so good, it's by the same guy who did space alert and galaxy trucker. it's basically go meets magic the gathering, it's incredibly deep and surprisingly easy to get into. it's up on board game arena if you want to give it a shot before you buy it

if your group's into logicy deduction games and you can deal with trace amounts of anime (lol if you can't) tragedy looper's pretty loving incredible. basically it's a 3v1 game, where the solo player's trying to make something bad happen with bluffs and murder and the team's trying to stop him with bluffs and maybe murder. it's fantastic, easily one of the best games of last year

last thing on my list, if you're dead set on a fantasy adventure game and don't mind dipping your toes into a more hardcore game, mage knight's the tits. it's by the same guy who did space alert, galaxy trucker, and tash-kalar and a bunch of other great games and it's an incredibly smart deckbuilder adventure game where everyone goes on a rampage in fantasy countryside for spells and artifacts and so on. there's a ton of super fiddly rules (like, a lot), but the core mechanics are pretty simple. probably not a great starter game but it's definitely a personal favorite

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fungah! posted:

if your group's into logicy deduction games and you can deal with trace amounts of anime (lol if you can't) tragedy looper's pretty loving incredible. basically it's a 3v1 game, where the solo player's trying to make something bad happen with bluffs and murder and the team's trying to stop him with bluffs and maybe murder. it's fantastic, easily one of the best games of last year

This is a really good description of Tragedy Looper. The only thematic difference between the protagonists and the mastermind is that the protagonists are, ostensibly, trying to kill fewer people. In any script where there's a serial killer present, it becomes a ridiculous tug of war manipulating character movements because the protagonists want to trick the serial killer into murdering people as a way to assist deducing their roles.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The older dry Euros with cool (and relatively simple) mechanics but deep strategy like Tigris & Euphrates (just got a reprint), Puerto Rico, and El Grande (big box reprint later this year) are cool too.

I like Felds but some people don't like Felds. Castles of Burgundy is really cheap and fun imo. Viticulture + Tuscany is where you should probably go for a worker placement.

Caylus gets a reprint next month (!) Keyflower is my favorite game but is hard to find right now. Concordia is another good midweight game.

Chaos in the Old World too although you probably don't need it and Kemet, at least right away.

e: I went in thinking theme was really important for my group but we get the most mileages out of dull looking euros. Once people grasp a good game the mechanics rule all.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know who we're replying to, but I'm gonna throw Roll for the Galaxy/Race for the Galaxy onto fungah and t-bone's pile! Eminent Domain plus expansion when you want to try another deck builder after dominion

E: puzzle strike if you want to go deep and have someone to consistently duel with and develop

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

E: puzzle strike if you want to go deep and have someone to consistently duel with and develop

How is puzzle strike with 3-4? I thought it was pretty good with the no player elimination ending and stuff, but if it's gimped somehow to 1v1 I won't bother.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

How is puzzle strike with 3-4? I thought it was pretty good with the no player elimination ending and stuff, but if it's gimped somehow to 1v1 I won't bother.

The victory conditions can lead to some disappointing endgames (though that's true of 1v1 PS as well) but the general mechanics work just as well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I think he more meant "people who are down to play a bunch" since PS is a game that greatly benefits from repeated plays. 3 and 4 player PS is still really good, but keeping everyone at similar skill levels is pretty strongly advised.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, exactly. The skill curve starts off a bit steeper due to the asymmetric matchups, reactionary play, and different approaches to winning. Not as easy as Dominion where you can sort of fake it until you make it by mimicing other players and playing open handed.

Basically, I find people have fun with Dominion almost right away, whereas Puzzle Strike can be confusing to players until they've played a few games, and then once they understand how to just play the thing, they won't understand how to win for a while longer.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I have never managed to teach puzzle strike to someone without them saying "your character was better than mine" at the end of the game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Poopy Palpy posted:

I have never managed to teach puzzle strike to someone without them saying "your character was better than mine" at the end of the game.

Sounds like it perfectly replicated the fighting game experience to me :v:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Storage solution proof of concept:

Try to imagine this poo poo all stickered and on a shelf.

These cheap motherfuckers are exactly the size of a standard playing card and high enough to hold roughly two decks per drawer. The box in the back is to look good (well, not this one) and hold miscellaneous stuff (mounted boards, rulebooks, occasional baggie with cubes not worth cramming into these) for games held in the two shelves.

Pictured set-up fit:
  • CitOW in six drawers (one per player for ease + 1 for generic tokens/cards. I cheated and put dice in Horned Rat drawer).
  • Pax Porfiriana cards in three (could probably fit in two if not for the sleeves).
  • Citadels in one.
  • All Fields of Fire decks in two (there was never room for them in the proper box once I put counter trays inside).
  • Both Star Wars LCG challenge decks in one.

Notable poo poo that does not fit:
  • FFG standard card sleeves (grey ones)
  • Tash-Kalar and Space Alert. I guess I'm back to simply keeping them both in a single Vlaadabox.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Lichtenstein posted:

Storage solution proof of concept:

Cover the fronts and ask players to blindly pick a drawer and see what happens. Tzeentch vs the Empire vs Mexican businessman sounds pretty good.

That looks ace and I am a massive fan of storage. Looks like it'd fit Game of Thrones, Kemet, Dogs of War and even Sheriff of Nottingham well. Fitting standard cards means Netrunner will work perfectly, and blind picking a Corp/Runner sounds great. Where did you get that exact box? I've stuffed most of my games into cheap tupperware, but am still jealous

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 5, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Supreme Court posted:

Cover the fronts and ask players to blindly pick a drawer and see what happens. Tzeentch vs the Empire vs Mexican businessman sounds pretty good.

That looks ace and I am a massive fan of storage. Looks like it'd fit Game of Thrones, Kemet, Dogs of War and even Sheriff of Nottingham well. Fitting standard cards means Netrunner will work perfectly, and blind picking a Corp/Runner sounds great. Where did you get that exact box? I've stuffed most of my games into cheap tupperware, but am still jealous

I'm picturing an absolutely crazy wargame system that would work with nearly any player set of pieces, in any game. Six player pawns and a player board and seven little discs from Tzolkin? The entire army of the potomac at Gettysburg? Sure, the system can totally handle that!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

The Supreme Court posted:

Where did you get that exact box?

Castorama, five bucks each. It's made by a local :poland: producer apparently, so no guarantees it'll be in stock where you live.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

I'm picturing an absolutely crazy wargame system that would work with nearly any player set of pieces, in any game. Six player pawns and a player board and seven little discs from Tzolkin? The entire army of the potomac at Gettysburg? Sure, the system can totally handle that!

Get a small digital scale, assign attributes to pieces based on weight and colour. Green army men? They are light, but the green colour makes them archers which is handy. A black marble chess king? It's huge weight makes it slow and powerful, and the fact that its black gives it a poison attack

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 5, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Rutibex posted:

Get a small digital scale, assign attributes to pieces based on weight and colour. Green army men? They are light, but the green colour makes them archers which is handy. A black marble chess king? It's huge weight makes it slow and powerful, and the fact that its black gives it a poison attack

... I don't want you to have good ideas. It conflicts with my worldview.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

OmegaGoo posted:

... I don't want you to have good ideas. It conflicts with my worldview.

Rutibex Tom Vasel is actually full of good ideas

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Eminent Domain plus expansion when you want to try another deck builder after dominion

I think it got missed when I asked before, but how do people feel about Eminent Domain compared to other role selection games, like Race, or Glory to Rome? I can appreciate how it does something completely different to Dominion for deck building, but does the deckbuilding add much to role selection over strict hand management/tableau building?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

silvergoose posted:

I kinda wanna do a mix n' match COIN since the mechanics are pretty similar- Colombia vs Taliban vs NVA vs Syndicate in ancient Gaul. Faction balance would be way off though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

StashAugustine posted:

I kinda wanna do a mix n' match COIN since the mechanics are pretty similar- Colombia vs Taliban vs NVA vs Syndicate in ancient Gaul. Faction balance would be way off though.

US from FitL in ancient Gaul? imagine the capabilities of an airstrike....

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You should throw in Khorne from CitOW and the Loyalists from A Study in Emerald somehow, too

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

silvergoose posted:

Yessss.

Alternatively, Game of Thrones, Kemet and Chaos in the Old World have similar enough combat and territory systems that this'd possibly work :hist101:

Giant scorpion vs a siege engine with Jamie Lannister vs a Bloodthirster

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You should throw in Khorne from CitOW and the Loyalists from A Study in Emerald somehow, too
Great minds! How do the loyalists play? I've been thinking about Study in Emerald for a while, given I love the Discworld game and the short story, but poor reviews have put me off. Is it really that bad?

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks for the replies all, I've written them down and am going to start looking through them to pick up.

Fungah! posted:

super great post
Thanks for the great reply dude, especially because my question was really vague because of the group that we have and me not really being sure on how or where to start when buying board games.

I might look into Galaxy Trucker first because our group is loving Space Alert and a couple of them who hadn't played (many) board games before were surprised how nuts it was, so another frantic game sounds like something they might enjoy because they've been really enjoying our get boardgame get togethers. :) I'll check out Kemet too but I'm not sure how some members of our group will get along with it. Quite a few of my other mates own Dominion so I'll try it with them as I've been meaning to try it for a while.

I'd played Space Alert once before picking it up so learning it hasn't been too bad, by the sounds of it though I've hit the peak of co-op games. It sounds like Vlaada Chvátil hammers out some seriously amazing games.