Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Kanos posted:

You get a literally immortal elf warlord(immortal insofar as him dying in battle doesn't actually kill him), wizards in SotHR make the already extremely powerful Dark Omen ones look downright weak, and by the end of the game you get enough artillery pieces to quite literally form a gunline. I remember my favorite strategy for one of the final missions against something like four dozen skaven regiments being "bring 3 cannons, a helblaster, and two wizards, level entire battlefield".

Ceridan the walking tar pit. He was great for holding off something for a minute or two. Usually while the Amber Wizard unloaded a million birds/spears.

If you're going to play SOTHR it's probably (100% yes) worth googling the magic item locations. You'll thank yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Riso posted:

Let's see.
Without DLC base game 55€, two expansions each 45€. DLC for base game easily another 80€.

You know, this might actually be about as expensive.

That's still two squads and a large unit, actually. Not even enough for a lowest points army.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Q-sixtysix posted:

Space Marine was ok for a little while, and the multiplayer was also fun for a bit

Dont forget the classic oldies, Final Liberation and Dark Omen (both owned)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:siren: warning, incoming art dump:siren:

For all the newbies who are being introduced to Warhammer Fantasy with this game, here's some art of the units of the four factions so you get a better idea of what they're about :

Vampire Cunts aka 2Spooky4Me :spooky: aka Monster Mash :skeltal:

Warriors of Chaos aka grimdark heavy metal spike and skull appreciation station aka winners of warhammer END TIMES

:orks:Orcs, aka Orcs (and goblins) :orks:

Empire Humans, aka the good guys, but not really aka Medieval Europeans with wizards

(Sigmar, possibly the only human survivor of END TIMES)

a wizzard

Dwarves, aka angry old men who live in the ground

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 6, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
As awesome as that is, please timg that poo poo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Zzulu posted:

(Sigmar, possibly the only human survivor of END TIMES)

How did he cut off that orc's head with a warhammer? :crossarms:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
GRIMDARK, that's how.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This man is cooler than Stannis.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wafflecopper posted:

In Tolkien, golf was invented when someone warhammered off a goblin's head into a hole, if I remember right.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

WARHAMMER

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He also carries a sword

its probably specifically for cutting heads off enemies. There is a lot of cutting heads off enemies in this setting. Skulls are big with all factions

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I mean, cut is the wrong word for it, but you can remove a head with a warhammer. :black101:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Orv posted:

I mean, cut is the wrong word for it, but you can remove a head with a warhammer. :black101:

Not without obliterating the head you can't. :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wafflecopper posted:

You could obliterate the body, leaving the head as all that remains.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Hey if it doesn't exist, it's removed right? :science:

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I've always wondered where chaos dudes get enough metal and crafters to give every loving soldier and his dog a full plate suit when the empire can only scrape together a handful of them for their elite knights and officers(and even those suits they can only get by trading with dwarves).

Orv
May 4, 2011

AtillatheBum posted:

I've always wondered where chaos dudes get enough metal and crafters to give every loving soldier and his dog a full plate suit when the empire can only scrape together a handful of them for their elite knights and officers(and even those suits they can only get by trading with dwarves).

Same explanation why entire civilizations can get genocided every couple of years and be ready to go next year: It's fuckin' awesome.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AtillatheBum posted:

From the Chaos Gods. After all, they're metal. :black101:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AtillatheBum posted:

The Gods give it to them straight up, if I remember. Chaos Armor is actually a gift from their dark gods that's given to a warrior when he (or she) hits the point where they become heavy metal enough to leave behind their entire prior identity and be remade as a vessel for the Gods' will.

E, f, b.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Night10194 posted:

The Gods give it to them straight up, if I remember. Chaos Armor is actually a gift from their dark gods that's given to a warrior when he (or she) hits the point where they become heavy metal enough to leave behind their entire prior identity and be remade as a vessel for the Gods' will.

E, f, b.

Yup, a lot of Chaos dudes are literally welded into their armor and cannot take it off even if they want to. Sometimes the armor is even fused with their flesh and bones.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Every Chaos Warrior slowly forgets everything about their old life and the Gods' favorite thing to do is send them to murder their old friends and family to cut their ties even further.

Chaos in Fantasy is actually pretty metal when it isn't the writer's pet like the End Times. When it's just badass giant vikings in imposing, silent armor showing up to gently caress poo poo up for their gods it can work.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Night10194 posted:

When it's just badass giant vikings in imposing, silent armor showing up to gently caress poo poo up for their gods it can work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5enBMSH5ghc

I'm sure I'm gonna link that a trillion times before this game comes out, but 1:20 or so is great for that. They just show up, gently caress poo poo up, barely make a sound and are imposing as poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Orv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5enBMSH5ghc

I'm sure I'm gonna link that a trillion times before this game comes out, but 1:20 or so is great for that. They just show up, gently caress poo poo up, barely make a sound and are imposing as poo poo.

Yes. Why are they here? Who loving cares! They're here. And now poo poo is ruined.

'Can you kill a Chaos Warrior by yourself' is basically the gold standard of 'Are you a badass' for Fantasy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
God why wasn't Mark of Chaos good. :smith:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Orv posted:

God why wasn't Mark of Chaos good. :smith:

Bad design choices were made.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zzulu posted:

Empire Humans, aka the good guys, but not really aka Medieval Europeans with wizards

I'm going to be a nitpicky rear end in a top hat and point out that it's not Medieval Europe with wizards, it's early modern Holy Roman Empire with wizards. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

my dad posted:

I'm going to be a nitpicky rear end in a top hat and point out that it's not Medieval Europe with wizards, it's early modern Holy Roman Empire with wizards. :v:

Though only the Bright Wizards (fire wizards) ever seem to show up in video games.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Neruz posted:

Though only the Bright Wizards (fire wizards) ever seem to show up in video games.

Like 4 kinds of wizards were in Mark of Chaos. And another 4 kinds of elf wizard.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

wiegieman posted:

Like 4 kinds of wizards were in Mark of Chaos. And another 4 kinds of elf wizard.

Pretty sure SotHR had an amber wizard and... a celestial one? Maybe the second was in Dark Omen, it's been a while.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

This only manages to make it more fun than medieval Europe with its ridiculous electoral system and primitive firearms.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Now that I think of it, I don't think there's even the need to add "with wizards" to HRE. Several important generals of the 30 Years War were believed to be immortal wizards by their contemporaries. Like Pappenheim, the dude who had his skull split in two by an axe and kept trucking along being a (very good) general for 12 more years more like it's no big deal. Took a direct hit by a cannonball to mortally wound him (not kill him on the spot, mind you, he lived a day more after that)

Or good old Wallenstein, who was thought to be conjuring unspeakable Czech magic to make supplies for his army out of thin air. (basically, dude had a high-functioning form of autism, and his attention to "pointless" details lead him to develop the most efficient taxation and logistics system of that age, which shared the load of funding the war in such a way that nobody was overburdened, and the money and supplies efficiently reached his troops, keeping them in peak fighting form. Though he did some hilarious stuff, like screaming at his generals that he wants flags exactly in the center of their formations.)

I want Shot&Pike: Total War. :(

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AtillatheBum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tto7tfNCH4

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Zaodai posted:

You could obliterate the body, leaving the head as all that remains.

Orv posted:

Hey if it doesn't exist, it's removed right? :science:

But the head and the body are still intact in that pic, just separate.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Oh I didn't see him holding it.

Uh, Warhammer.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Wafflecopper posted:

They don't belong to the same orc. :colbert:

If that doesn't work for you,

Orv posted:

Uh, Warhammer.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I am pretty certain that knight with all the fleurs-de-lis over him is actually a Bretonnian aka not-french instead of not-german please correct your heinous mistake good sir.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Holy poo poo that End Times stuff. Why'd they do all that and then make this game?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Grondoth posted:

Holy poo poo that End Times stuff. Why'd they do all that and then make this game?

This game was in development before GW decided to go even stupider than usual, I think.

The best news is really that CA is ignoring that crap.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh wow. I had no idea Warhammer was a completely different thing from "Warhammer 40k" and not just people shortening it. When I heard there was a Warhammer Total War game I just figured they were going to slap a new coat of paint on to Napoleon or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Now I want Relic and CA to team up to make Dawn of Total Warhammer 40k. There's no way it wouldn't own.

• Locked thread