Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

William Bear posted:

A World of Warcraft boss with great sound design: The master of the Soul Forge, Bronjahm, the "Godfather of Souls". They really went all out with their dumb James Brown jokes. From almost every item he drops being some reference to his work, to his unique theme, to even the little-noticed sound effects that play when he attacks, is injured, or is the recipient of a critical hit:

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=36497/bronjahm#sounds

My favorite is FS_Bronjahm_WoundCrit#2.

Perhaps my favorite part about him is that one of the items he drops is this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
One of my favorite things to do in Ys II is harassing townsfolk with magic, they all have unique dialogue for both that and for when you try to reconcile with them afterwards with gifts.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
After a battle with rebels in Tropico 5 one of my advisors said "War...war never changes"

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ElwoodCuse posted:

After a battle with rebels in Tropico 5 one of my advisors said "War...war never changes"
On that note, I've been playing Fallout: New Vegas again, and one thing I enjoy is that for every melee weapon, there's a different name for the special move. Grand Slam with a spiked baseball bat is still among my favorites, though. :toughguy:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Chroma Squad, a Sentai/Power Rangers simulator, is full of these. Everything ties into the fact that you're filming Power Rangers episodes for fans.

- Everything you do is something you'd see in a PR episode. Have one character run ahead, have the others acrobatically leap off off him.
- Audience appeal is primary, and every staple of PR is there. The audience loves seeing your heroes run great distances, use their Special Weapons
- You can't even morph/transform at the beginning of the levels. You need to work up to it, just as fights in PR work up to it
- Do a 'teamwork move' normally, and you'll get a generic effect of the five team members doing some sort of attack. Do a teamwork move with one hero's weapon ability available (and all of the other hero's weapon abilities also available), and there's a distinct all-our-weapons-combined move.

I could describe the entire game, honestly, it's just chock full of all the Spandex Punchman stuff from my youth.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When you walk in water in GTA 5 your clothes get wet upto where you were submerged and I like that detail.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There is a literal grammar Nazi in Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

peter gabriel posted:

When you walk in water in GTA 5 your clothes get wet upto where you were submerged and I like that detail.

And everything dries off slowly, too! Plus, stuff sounds wet when it is :allears:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
After a few unsuccessful attempts at a timed Riddler challenge with the first hostage I decided to find a trainer for Batman: Arkham City to give me unlimited health and just run for a platform. Even though I was accused with cheating in Asylum and City it seemed like it was just frustration. The one time I decided to cheat for real I was called out on and it felt like the game knew what I've done. Instead of an unsure frustration, after activating and doing it I was welcomed with a "I know that that you're cheating" response for the first time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's actually a few nuggets like that buried away in the game for if you beat Riddler without doing it "properly". I think all the electric floor puzzles have some variation of it, and though it's not the same thing if you keep failing the first puzzle in Asylum he'll eventually completely lose his poo poo and just outright give you the solution. :haw:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I love his progressive breakdown as you solve the riddles in Asylum. At around 75% of them he starts accusing you of looking them up online :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I recall one puzzle like that where there's a bunch of electrified floor type things along the ground, and your goal is to platform your way there by figuring out what's safe and what order to jump on them etc.

...or, if you have the line launcher, you can just launch a tightrope to the other end of the room and walk right over all that bullshit. The Riddler gets understandably angry at you and shouts about how long it took to set that one up.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The Riddler yells at you for cheating if you use detective vision on his shell game puzzle in Arkham City, but as far as I could tell that was the only way to solve it.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Riddler yells at you for cheating if you use detective vision on his shell game puzzle in Arkham City, but as far as I could tell that was the only way to solve it.

Yup. Sometimes the final position of the hostage will match up with the "shell" positions, sometimes it won't. I succeeded the first time without using Detective Mode because he accidentally didn't cheat, then when I was going through the game a second time I failed and wondered how I could have messed up a shell game that easy.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And everything dries off slowly, too! Plus, stuff sounds wet when it is :allears:

They put more thought into this than I realised, I am doing a standing ovation IRL about it, that's really cool

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

peter gabriel posted:

Dark Souls 2 has a similar thing, your character gets wet to the depth they've waded and it slowly drips off. Wading is slow, so players will roll through water because it's faster. Rolling soaks you from head to toe. Of course there's toxic acid water that lingers long enough to kill you if you're dumb enough to splash your head in it instead of mincing around the shallows.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

theshim posted:

On that note, I've been playing Fallout: New Vegas again, and one thing I enjoy is that for every melee weapon, there's a different name for the special move. Grand Slam with a spiked baseball bat is still among my favorites, though. :toughguy:

In Double Dragon: Neon one of the weapons you can pick up is a baseball bat but when you use it Billy and Jimmy will shout out one-liners about completely unrelated sports. It's such a dumb joke but smacking a guy with a bat only to have my guy yell out "TOUCHDOWN! :madmax:" always cracks me up.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

They put more thought into this than I realised, I am doing a standing ovation IRL about it, that's really cool

Also if your character is running a lot sweat will start to show realistically.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

Also if your character is running a lot sweat will start to show realistically.

Not even just that, just being in a car for a while in the middle of the day will do it also since it's LA and likely boiling hot out. GTA 5 was a masterpiece of small details, here's a video that outlines a bunch of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmIgFtLa00Y

There is so much of these things it's crazy the depth they went to. There's a video out there that proves you can use the backfire of a cars exhaust to light a gasoline trail. I mean, who thinks that far into things?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Amazing stuff!

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

After the May the Fourth sale on Star Wars games I've been going back and playing a few older games I used to enjoy and haven't played in years. They haven't all aged gracefully, but I really like how in Jedi Academy you have the option to go dark side but your character doesn't even entertain the thought of joining the villains who orchestrate your fall, it's immediate 'no, I will rule the galaxy, not you weaklings!'

Republic Commando you view the world through your helmet's display, and killing an enemy next to you will splatter you view with guts, oil, etc, and after a second a laser windshield wiper swipes across the screen, cleaning off your view.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mousepractice posted:

Dark Souls 2 has a similar thing, your character gets wet to the depth they've waded and it slowly drips off. Wading is slow, so players will roll through water because it's faster. Rolling soaks you from head to toe. Of course there's toxic acid water that lingers long enough to kill you if you're dumb enough to splash your head in it instead of mincing around the shallows.

Likewise, if you dodge roll in water while holding a torch, it goes out.

and it was dark down there in the water and there were no fires to relight it and im scared :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The true final boss of Bloodborne.

After a lackluster fight which "ends" the Hunt, you are back in the Hunter's Dream and told to talk to Gherman, the blind wheelchair-bound dude who brought you to the Hunt to begin with. He'll ask to take your life so you wake up in the real world, in the morning. If you refuse, he stands up and pulls out a sweet as gently caress scythe and becomes the REAL final boss.

Except he isn't. Once he died, an elder god morphs in from the huge moon in the sky, the moon which was called close to Earth in order to facilitate contact with great ones. It will just force you to take Gherman's place, as Gherman is actually responsible for perpetuating the Hunt (and Hunter's Dream). However, if you've eaten three umbilical cords which were left over from Old One surrogate baby rituals, you aren't driven insane by the Moon Presence and IT becomes the final boss. When you kill it, the Hunt is finally over... And you turn into a baby great one, having absorbed the soul of a great one with the insight and wisdom to equal one, thanks to the umbilical cords. Instead of ending the hunt, you transcend it--which is the little thing in this wall of text.

The first note of the entire game tells you to seek the Paleblood. You learn that Paleblood refers to the moon, so you are actually looking for a way to interact with the moon... But not to end the hunt. The note very explicitly says "Seek the Paleblood in order to transcend the Hunt."

From step 1 the game tells you how to get the True End and what it entails, it just does so in a way that makes you think you're looking for white monster blood in victorian-style cathedrals, not fighting moon-gods in a literal nightmare being cooked up by a centuries-dead man known as the First Hunter in order to become an alien deity.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I just want to thank the thread for talking me out of paying $23 for a copy of Deadly Premonitions. The LP is good so far and I don't feel like I'm missing out on the experience. It's a very good watch.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

D4 is coming out on the PC soon and it's built on unreal. So it might actually be playable.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

LawfulWaffle posted:

I just want to thank the thread for talking me out of paying $23 for a copy of Deadly Premonitions. The LP is good so far and I don't feel like I'm missing out on the experience. It's a very good watch.

During the Steam winter sale DP was $2 the entire time and I totally expect it be that price in the summer. A big part of the game's popularity is that it launched on the 360 for $20 new, it's a legitimate B-game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sleeveless posted:

During the Steam winter sale DP was $2 the entire time and I totally expect it be that price in the summer. A big part of the game's popularity is that it launched on the 360 for $20 new, it's a legitimate B-game.

Here's the rub: I have a copy for the PS3 from when it was free on PlayStation Plus. I just don't want to delete every other game I have downloaded to install it. If I see it for pocket change on Steam, I think I'll throw some money at it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Minor aside, but does anyone know if the steam sales follow a set pattern? Been trying half heartedly to track it down for ages but no luck.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Here's the rub: I have a copy for the PS3 from when it was free on PlayStation Plus. I just don't want to delete every other game I have downloaded to install it. If I see it for pocket change on Steam, I think I'll throw some money at it.

The PS3 port is apparently godawful and the PC port is not great but can be improved with mods.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Josef bugman posted:

Minor aside, but does anyone know if the steam sales follow a set pattern? Been trying half heartedly to track it down for ages but no luck.

They do. Buy a game and then it goes on sale the next day.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Buy it and D4 anyway cause Swery deserves money.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Lord Lambeth posted:

The PS3 port is apparently godawful and the PC port is not great but can be improved with mods.

Boo. I have two broken XB360s and no desire to fix them or replace them. I hope installing the mods won't be too much of a chore. I've started S.T.A.L.K.E.R. recently and I'm still frustrated that I can't get my HUD to look like the screenshots from the megathread.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

When I say mods, they'res really only one, which is durante's DPfix. There are some HD texture mods too but they're not nearly as essential.

on topic, Dragon Age Inquisition recently got a multiplayer update with a bard type character included. He's pretty great because he's this self absorbed mick jagger type character who also happens to be a :krad: mage.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Lord Chumley posted:

They do. Buy a game and then it goes on sale the next day.

Buy it and D4 anyway cause Swery deserves money.

Please don't buy D4. Don't make the same mistake I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En260goftmI

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Josef bugman posted:

The only thing set in stone is that they have a giant two week long sale in the summer and winter, other than that it's a crapshoot. It's worth skimming the Steam megathread in games to find out what sales are going on both on and off of Steam; a lot of the time bundles or authorized 3rd party key sellers like GreenManGaming and Nuuvem will let you get games even cheaper than Steam sales.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Please don't buy D4. Don't make the same mistake I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En260goftmI

I see nothing here that could deter me from my purchase

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

CJacobs posted:

I see nothing here that could deter me from my purchase

SWERY.jpg. Probably won't be a day 1 purchase for the PC version because I'm poor, but I will own this game and play the everloving gently caress out of it. And hey, it probably won't require running in Win98 mode to work properly!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did all the episodes for that actually come out?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

No. It is being done bit by bit to gauge interest, essentially meaning that unless people but ep 1 and 2 now then Swery will have to wrap up a batshit insane plot in like one episode length.

D4 is actually really good and probably the game that Swery wanted to make while doing DP, because it is all on-rails detectiving and zero lovely combat. It's a very fun game that gets even better on NG+ playthroughs.

SGF is also LPing D4, but unlike DP, i strongly recommend you buy it if it interests you. It is completely insane like DP but a thousand times more accessible for the average player

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

muscles like this? posted:

No, when Microsoft pulled a 180 on their Kinect support and dropped everything Swery was left high and dry. Double Fine's layoffs were also in part because they had a team working on a big Kinect game that was cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Download Enhanced Steam. When you go to a game's store page it'll show you the current cheapest price on websites that sell Steam keys.