Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Having problems with gun depression? Follow my 2 step process and you too can have 45 degrees of gun depression in ANYTHING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04qlcJNWIjs

(I honestly have no idea how I got away with that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

Key to churchill III is to make sure you expose your entire tank to the enemy so that they don't get the wise idea of shooting your flat easily pennable turret.

This.

Good players are not stupid and know how big of a threat a live Church 3 is, they will shoot the gently caress out of your turret. Either bully them with your DPM or wait for a meat shield teammate to come by and take a few hits. The RoF is insane, cleanse the unwashed pubbie hordes with more shells than they can dream. Enjoy the gross credits you will make (even if you shoot some gold).

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Rorac posted:

(I honestly have no idea how I got away with that.)

Physics engine! :science:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BadLlama posted:

Key to churchill III is to make sure you expose your entire tank to the enemy so that they don't get the wise idea of shooting your flat easily pennable turret.

This holds true for the KV-220 also. Bully people into not thinking about shooting your turret.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Mesadoram posted:

This.

Good players are not stupid and know how big of a threat a live Church 3 is, they will shoot the gently caress out of your turret. Either bully them with your DPM or wait for a meat shield teammate to come by and take a few hits. The RoF is insane, cleanse the unwashed pubbie hordes with more shells than they can dream. Enjoy the gross credits you will make (even if you shoot some gold).

I find this a tad insulting as you're not playing the EXCELSIOR!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

The Southern Dandy posted:

The Excelsior is neat to play against people who are used to fighting the Churchill 3, because they will just unload into your hilarious turret armor and do nothing.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I picked up an Excelsior when it was on sale for $5 over the weekend and do not regret it one bit. 420 shoot gold everyday.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Southern Dandy posted:

They are both special, unique, beautiful and independent tanks that don't need no gold* :colbert:

*Except for the Excelsior, it totally does need gold from time to time.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I found this to be true in the British churchills as well. Trindle everywhere auto aiming like a boss.

just dont make the grave mistake of putting the vickers on it

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Arishtat posted:

Nah that comically large muzzle brake keeps the recoil down to manageable levels. It should, however, be penalized with a very large visibility penalty every time it fires.

There was no muzzle brake :metal101:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

AMX 30 × Kharkov

XP 1,752 Credits 67,330
Crew 1,752 Income 33,676

4,722 / 621 14 / 16 / 18
3 1 0 / 0

WN7 100 WN8 100 EFF 100 38.0%

Bruiser
Fire for Effect
High Caliber
Mastery Badge: "II Class"

:negative:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Not a single one of you could be bothered to answer my goddamn annoying shitlord question. gently caress goons.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Maybe it's Maybelline?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
gently caress goons

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Whats the better tier 10 upgrade, The IS-7 or E-50M? About to get exp for both.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

maev posted:

E50M is more "fun".

The bar to do well in an IS7 is higher.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

maev posted:

The IS-7 is decent but the E-50M is arguably the best solopub T10 in the game. Get in on that. Unless you desperately need a heavy to get the bounce missions with, or something, but even then the E100 or VK B is probably better.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

maev posted:

Do you want to brawl, or do you want to snipe with the occasional hilarious ram?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I heard the tier 10 Japan Medium Tank is scary. Is this true?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
^ properly played, yes. Also will consume credits like a fat man at a free buffet.

Be careful with the IS7 right now though, with the prevalence of T10 tds, unless you're hull down, they can and will shoot straight through your front no matter how you're angled.

You have one of the lowest HP pools for a T10 heavy, in what used to be a "bouncy" tank, but no longer, due to power creep.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

TheFluff posted:

The IS-7 is decent but the E-50M is arguably the best solopub T10 in the game. Get in on that. Unless you desperately need a heavy to get the bounce missions with, or something, but even then the E100 or VK B is probably better.

Is it better enough than the E-50 tier for tier to make it worth the purchase?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

^ properly played, yes. Also will consume credits like a fat man at a free buffet.

How? Are you just spamming HEAT? I find it's default APCR plenty fine for 95% of tonks.

Also the STB owns.

VV Type "World of tanks Match Making Chart" in google images.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 6, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How does matchmaking work? My highest tier tank is a tier 3 and I keep getting matched against tanks that my guns won't penetrate. I'm bad at this game, but that doesn't seem to happen when I play my tier 2 and tier 1 tanks

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Actually had a good game in my Fury, only took like 6 losses in a row to get it...

Replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtpFQRVp_7U

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

For the most part, the matchmaking works like this

Tier 1 sees up to tier 2.

Tier 2 sees up to tier 3.

Tier 3 (and all tiers after it) see up to 2 tiers higher. A few special tanks only see one tier higher, usually premium tanks. Light tanks at tier 4 and up see tanks up to 3 tiers higher instead.

Tier 3 specifically is a bit of a suck point because the KV-1 is at tier 5, and a lot of tier 3 guns just cannot penetrate it A: at all or B: if it is angled whatsoever.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Is wotstats.org not updating for anyone else in NA? I can find my username but it says I don't exist when I try updating.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Blindeye posted:

Is wotstats.org not updating for anyone else in NA? I can find my username but it says I don't exist when I try updating.

Yeah it's not updating for me either. Which is good, last night was terrible.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Does anyone have an OMC modpack config that they are willing to share? I've been trying to piece together my own but I've been having issues with the game crashing with the options I've been using.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

And this just happened:

It also happened on Winterberg o.0

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 6, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

BadLlama posted:

And this just happened:

Hey you won. Always a mark positive.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The AwfulPanther replacement is a LT with a 90mm autoloader and a 3 round drum. Kinda looks like a T71. Only 3 rounds means it can't kill a similar tier scout in one drum though, but you will leave them with about 1/3 of their health left. Bulldogs will eat this thing alive though.

Also it will be another hilarious tank to shoot HE at, 10mm of armor for the most part, so party on.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Also worth mentioning that it is tiny and only weighs ten tonnes.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Reason posted:

How does matchmaking work? My highest tier tank is a tier 3 and I keep getting matched against tanks that my guns won't penetrate. I'm bad at this game, but that doesn't seem to happen when I play my tier 2 and tier 1 tanks

Generally like this: When you are grinding the stock tank you put into a bunch of situations where you're a top tank, but you have the stock gun that is two tiers lower than the tanks you are facing and everybody on your team is constantly wondering why you suck so much. As soon as you get enough XP for the top gun and turret, you will be thrown into matches two tiers ahead. Your armor can't bounce anything and your gun still can't pen anything and your teammates will wonder why you suck so much. Every now and again after you are fully upgraded you will have some situations where you are the top tank again, but don't get excited. These matches always end with getting blasted by artillery or getting ammo racked by the first round that penetrates your tracks and your teammates will wonder why you suck so much.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 6, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Prav posted:

Also worth mentioning that it is tiny and only weighs ten tonnes.

So, an actual light tank.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

maev posted:

Is it better enough than the E-50 tier for tier to make it worth the purchase?

No. The E-50 is my pick for best t9 medium tank but the 50M is more middle of the pack. The 50M is probably the best generalist of the t10 mediums, and I'd say it's comfortably above the median, but the STB and Batchat are clearly much better, even if they sacrifice a fair bit to specialize. It's also got the lowest DPM of any t10 medium, but it does make it work with 0.3 accuracy, good handling, the highest penetration by a tiny margin (though it's really only the French, Chinese, and Japanese mediums that have noticeably lower silver pen), and accepable depression. It also has the best armour on a medium except maybe the 430.

I'd say it's worth the purchase but keep the E-50 too.

TracerM17 posted:

Generally like this: When you are grinding the stock tank you put into a bunch of situations where you're a top tank, but you have the stock gun that is two tiers lower than the tanks you are facing and everybody on your team is constantly wondering why you suck so much. As soon as you get enough XP for the top gun and turret, you will be thrown into matches two tiers ahead. Your armor can't bounce anything and your gun still can't pen anything and your teammates will wonder why you suck so much. Every now and again after you are fully upgraded you will have some situations where you are the top tank again, but don't get excited. These matches always end with getting blasted by artillery or getting ammo racked by the first round that penetrates your tracks and your teammates will wonder why you suck so much.

Just to clear up a potential misunderstanding, as I've actually seen pubbies claim they use lower tier guns so they get better MM, your modules do not affect your matchmaking at all.

There's supposedly a rule in the matchmaker where it tries to make your first ten games in a new tank top tier games, but it's not a hard rule and being in a platoon forfeits that.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I'd say E-50/M are between medium and heavy in role/performance. Either way both are worth keeping.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TheFluff posted:

I didn't really mind the 50 120 much. Finicky to play, sure, and not exactly a great tank, but I did decently in it. You can carry games in it.

Definitely. On more than one occasion, during the cleanup phase, I killed 3 tanks with one magazine. That 120 really makes the tank. I remember in one match, when platooned with another goon, we were chatting about the T-54 and its armor as I casually penetrated the front of the turret with that gun (AP). :allears:

Arishtat posted:

Nah that comically large muzzle brake keeps the recoil down to manageable levels. It should, however, be penalized with a very large visibility penalty every time it fires.

Negative camo? :science:

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Not a single one of you could be bothered to answer my goddamn annoying shitlord question. gently caress goons.

Sorry man, I can't speak for anyone else but I've been busy with work and haven't had a chance to fire up the gaming PC. Looking at it right now, here are my thoughts in response to your questions:

1. That position is definitely too far back. It's only useful if the enemy pushes around, and if they do that they'll probably overwhelm whatever forces your team has in the East anyway. The problem in this instance is that the ISU can't really afford to get caught out in the open due to its lack of mobility, armor, and reload time, but it's not accurate enough to snipe at long range. I think in this case you were in the right area because you had support from your team though. If you're asking about that position in general, however, then the answer would depend on the tank you're driving and the composition of the teams.

2. I'd say that was a bad trade. It worked out, but in general you want to preserve your HP for the late game, and I would not recommend driving out in front of two enemy tanks both facing your way. If one or both were distracted that might've been another story, but you risked getting detracked and taken out for one shot. The ISU is too potent to risk getting knocked out so early. On the other hand, you did delay those tanks, and they weren't smart enough to rush you while you reloaded (although only the KV-85 could've done that, the T28 is obviously too slow.) A trade like that can be what it takes to secure a win, but I wouldn't have made that move in this case.

Agrajag posted:

gently caress goons

Grr gons, hat gons.

Reason posted:

What server(s) do you play on? If you're on NA, get on TS & in the goons channel and I'll help you out.

CompeAnansi posted:

Does anyone have an OMC modpack config that they are willing to share? I've been trying to piece together my own but I've been having issues with the game crashing with the options I've been using.

I wish they had shareable config files, because that would be a lot easier than having to type up a list or verbally tell others what mods to use. With that being said, you can still play around with the OMC modpack installer and come up with a setup that's mostly compatible. Any options you pick will almost always work together. The only time you will really have issues is right after a patch hits, before the mod makers have had a chance to work out all the bugs.

If you see me on TS or in-game, though, hit me up and I can give you recommendations.

CitizenKain posted:

The AwfulPanther replacement is a LT with a 90mm autoloader and a 3 round drum. Kinda looks like a T71. Only 3 rounds means it can't kill a similar tier scout in one drum though, but you will leave them with about 1/3 of their health left. Bulldogs will eat this thing alive though.

Also it will be another hilarious tank to shoot HE at, 10mm of armor for the most part, so party on.

I don't mind the SomethingAwfulPanther, but it's definitely underwhelming. I'm almost done with the grind though, so I might have to keep it temporarily to get the replacement tank because that thing looks interesting. Also, it's going to be called the SPIC, so that's pretty great. :rolleyes: :ese:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
I got purple Wn8 in the Awful Panther before I sold it (not hard with the average being so low I know) but I'm still pretty bummed because that new one looks kind of amazing,

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Atomizer posted:

I wish they had shareable config files, because that would be a lot easier than having to type up a list or verbally tell others what mods to use. With that being said, you can still play around with the OMC modpack installer and come up with a setup that's mostly compatible. Any options you pick will almost always work together. The only time you will really have issues is right after a patch hits, before the mod makers have had a chance to work out all the bugs.

just do a screen shot of the modpack with your options ticked.

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Does the game pick default skills for your crew at some point? I have a crew that used to be in my IS-4 (before I sold it) and has been sitting in my Churchill III for a while. Their initial repair skills reached 100% and now they're all training misc secondary skills that I never chose for them. I thought you had to specifically pick skills for each crew member.

edit: Also, can I change these skills with gold or credits somehow? I really want sixth sense on my commander at least.