Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those loving drop summons in FFIV. Very rare drop, and they all suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FFIV DS, full stop. Takes what was already known as a hard FF game and makes it harder, in completely non-obvious ways. Slow helps on bosses in the original? Well on the DS it's basically required to survive them. And the Augments system, christ. It seems cool, you get extra copies of character-unique abilities that you can put on other characters to get some neat synergy going, like putting Counter on Cecil so he tanks everyone's hits with Cover and then retaliates. Except that all of the ones you get early, you have to give to characters who are going to permanent leave the party, probably by dying. Because if you don't, you won't get most of their Augments down the line, and then you won't have enough to put on other characters to get their Augments and still have some left over for the five who'll survive the game. Of course, there's no hints about this anywhere, unless you count noticing that Edward the Bard had like six abilities and all he left behind was Hide, what's up with that.

Of course, if you did look up a guide, you'd know to do all this and be pretty eager to get Ultima. Ultima is traditionally (since FF3 or so I think) the most powerful damage spell in FF, but the original FF4 didn't have it, instead giving that title to Meteo(r). In FF4IV, there's a pair of mage twins who join your party temporarily. They have a special ability called Twincast. If they both do it, then after a longish chargeup, they cast a pretty powerful spell like Comet. In FFIVDS, when they leave, you get a free pair of Twincast augments. Great, use them right away! But specific character pairs have special Twincast spells. Pretty boy main character Cecil and his girlfriend Rosa are one such pair, they can Twincast Ultima. So OK, that's pretty awesome, so you have them do it. Cecil's the Paladin and Rosa's the White Mage, so both of your endgame healers are out of the fight for the pretty lengthy Twincast charge-up. The bar fills up, they do their arm-wavy animation, aaaaand...

Comet!

What the gently caress

Yeah turns out there's only a chance of the special Twincasts. A lot of the time (ie when you need it) you'll get the same old chump spells that anyone can do. Two characters (neither with especially strong magical attack, even) taken out of the fight for loving forever, with the result more than likely to be a middling-powerful damage spell. And in case you're wondering, the twins themselves have no special Twincast. That would be silly.

E: Also, giving Augments to the twins. Give one to the girl, you get her Cry augment, which debuffs enemy defenses. Funnily enough, because of how many abilities everyone else has, it's basically always optimal to put it on the big tough Dragoon voiced by Liam O'Brian. Give one to the boy, you get his Bluff augment, which doubles your next black magic attack. Logical enough, but there's one more. You actually have to give the twins three augments between them, with at least one going to each, and then when they go you get the godly Doublecast augment which lets a mage cast two spells at once. Good luck figuring that out without looking it up.

Dabir has a new favorite as of 13:25 on May 5, 2015

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

peter gabriel posted:

The tutorial in the original Driver :negative:

Holy poo poo forgot about that. How many people rented that game and never managed to actually play it?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dr_Amazing posted:

Holy poo poo forgot about that. How many people rented that game and never managed to actually play it?

I owned a games shop at the time and never got past it ha ha.

We used to have multiple people per week bringing it back at the time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The difficulty in Driver was broken in general. I believe the lead designer of that game is on record saying that the last few missions weren't playtested at all, and I think the "tutorial" might have been added late in development.

Of course, the same developers went on to make Stuntman, which is probably even harder but at least your two hundred attempts to beat a level in that game don't last more than a couple of minutes each.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I think the load times in that game qualify as a troll themselves. Even with out the Tuk Tuks or Hunted by Microlights crushing you.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I passed that tutorial after many, many attempts and was disappointed to learn what was behind it :smith:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

pussy riot police posted:

I think the load times in that game qualify as a troll themselves. Even with out the Tuk Tuks or Hunted by Microlights crushing you.
Oh god, don't remind me. I actually 100%'d that loving game a few years ago, playing along with the LP that was going on at the time. :gonk:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Here's a troll, Mario Kart 8 has five baby characters instead of, you know, anything worthwhile.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doc Morbid posted:

Donkey Kong 64 is, of course, the worst offender (the sheer amount of stuff you need to collect is ridiculous even if you're just trying to finish the game and not going for 100%), but most of their games in those days had some ridiculous bullshit like this.

Oh, man, and the fact it made you beat the original Donkey Kong to get a golden banana, which was hard, but doable. Took me a few hours, but I got it done.

To beat the game, though, you need to beat it on one life to get the nintendo coin. At first, hearing the original DK was in there got me hyped as poo poo. Instead, I never got to the end of DK64 because of it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nostradingus posted:

Here's a troll, Mario Kart 8 has five baby characters instead of, you know, anything worthwhile.

Pyf trolls from game dorks

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Doc Morbid posted:

The difficulty in Driver was broken in general. I believe the lead designer of that game is on record saying that the last few missions weren't playtested at all, and I think the "tutorial" might have been added late in development.

Of course, the same developers went on to make Stuntman, which is probably even harder but at least your two hundred attempts to beat a level in that game don't last more than a couple of minutes each.

I remember I used to do the freeplay mode on that where you could just drive effing around and it makes you realize just how awful the police AI is. If you see a cop car, you better freeze your rear end and hope none of the other less-than-stellar AI bump into you, or else suddenly all the police in town will hunt you down.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh, man, and the fact it made you beat the original Donkey Kong to get a golden banana, which was hard, but doable. Took me a few hours, but I got it done.

To beat the game, though, you need to beat it on one life to get the nintendo coin. At first, hearing the original DK was in there got me hyped as poo poo. Instead, I never got to the end of DK64 because of it.

It's not so much a troll but more of a "gently caress it we can't fix it" but the reason that DK64 came with a free expansion pack (that ate up all the profits from the game and made it a huge loss) was because the developer team at Rare working on it had a critical code failure whenever the expansion pack wasn't plugged in, they couldn't find the reason in time, so they just had to ship it with the pack.

There's a Conker's Bad Fur Day LP by the actual game devs who talk about what was happening at Rare at that time and how they had an intense rivalry with the DK64 team that consisted of "did you hear what these assholes are doing? we have to one-up them"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgtAXCaSlpk

For anyone curious, the first 3-4 videos contain most of the stuff about Rare at the time, including that the office had an "internet machine" that you had to book time on to access the web.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 19:19 on May 5, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I believe they mostly talk about the BK team, not DK64.

Also, they are really, really bad at playing video games

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

They may have had the right idea, but junctioning and level scaling mechanics still punish players for actually playing the game and exploring beyond the story-given rails. With level scaling, most enemies also gain new types of "go gently caress yourself"-special attacks when they level up which you may or may not be able to counter at that point, and junctioning means that you have to make yourself weaker to use any magic in fight, a state which may or may not be repairable after that fight.

Aggressive level scaling is always a terrible idea, but for example, why can't the junctioned spells and available spells be two different pools?

Getting the ability to entirely turn off random encounters a few hours into the game is pretty nice.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Dabir posted:

FFIV DS, full stop. Takes what was already known as a hard FF game

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone say that FFIV wasn't the easiest game in the series.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

pentyne posted:

For anyone curious, the first 3-4 videos contain most of the stuff about Rare at the time, including that the office had an "internet machine" that you had to book time on to access the web.

Awesome, thanks!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

This is no longer true in the glorious 200cc mode Nintendo has given us, suddenly light and super turning are very useful

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Pneub posted:

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone say that FFIV wasn't the easiest game in the series.

FF4 DS was pretty hard for sure. The Moon was really easy in the original and gba versions but suddenly ridiculously tough in the DS remake. Giant of Babil was also aggressively retuned to be more difficult.

Lots of bosses and late game enemies would just murder anyone who wasn't Cecil in only a couple hits. I got by with throwing provoke and defender up as much as possible with Cecil, so he'd be guaranteed the target of single-target attacks.

The mobile and Steam ports actually had an easy mode added.

Skaw has a new favorite as of 20:57 on May 5, 2015

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I had put the Driver tutorial out of my memory and my life was happy

Thanks you loving assholes.

Stuntman was abysmal, I don't think I ever accomplished anything in that "game".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pneub posted:

Well, the international market only got Easy Mode.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Pneub posted:

More than half of the FF games are easier than IV, and that's not even because IV is particularly difficult.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

HonorableTB posted:

I had put the Driver tutorial out of my memory and my life was happy

Thanks you loving assholes.

Stuntman was abysmal, I don't think I ever accomplished anything in that "game".

Stuntman was loving baller, except for the load times. The sequel, Stuntman Ignition was balls to the walls awesomeness without the lovely load times. Still hard as gently caress to master.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

The tutorial in the original Driver :negative:

For those playing at home, could someone explain why it was a troll?

(I'm going to be very annoyed with myself if it was mentioned and I just didn't notice it)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

(I'm going to be very annoyed with myself if it was mentioned and I just didn't notice it)

it just put you in a small parking garage with a checklist of driving maneuvers and said "ALRIGHT HAVE AT IT"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Like Alouicious said, it throws you in a parking garage with a long and crazy hard checklist of things to do and gives you an impossibly short time to do it in (I want to say it was 60 seconds? It's been like 15 years) and if you screw up even once, or sometimes even do a perfect run but are a single pixel off, you fail because of how tightly tuned it is. It was literally the worst and the entire time I owned Driver all I did was do the mode where you run from the cops for as long as you can before your car explodes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hahahahaha i forgot about the insanely short time limit gently caress me

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
And you couldn't play any of the game proper until you beat it, lots of people never got to play the game they bought at all.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

They could have just removed the time limit and it would have been fine. You'd still be forced to learn the maneuvers with none of the stress. Oh welp.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

NotAnArtist posted:

They could have just removed the time limit and it would have been fine. You'd still be forced to learn the maneuvers with none of the stress. Oh welp.

This is so true, and the game that was behind that tutorial was so good for the time it's easy to forget.
We didn't really have open world games like that with sort of real driving physics and (as dumb as they look now) AI police chases etc, it was a really good game so I heard :v:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I seriously doubt I'd be able to do that tutorial right now and I spend most of my gaming time playing racing/driving games.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

HonorableTB posted:

I seriously doubt I'd be able to do that tutorial right now and I spend most of my gaming time playing racing/driving games.

I loaded it up last year on a nostalgia trip and couldn't do it.
Also PS1 games have aged very poorly.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
They threw that tutorial in as an unlockable mission in Driver: San Francisco (which is fantastic, by the way) and it is still as completely impossible as it used to be. The way you unlock it belongs more in the PYF Little Things in Games thread: the mission is called Blast From the Past and you unlock it once you buy the Delorean DMC-12 for your garage and then hit 88mph in it.

3 has a new favorite as of 23:19 on May 5, 2015

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pneub posted:

I think 9 was easier. I beat it the first time I played it without dying once.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The fault of FFIV is that the pacing is pretty good until you the to the moon, where you have to grind like a motherfucker to reach level 60 to survive the final dungeon. A good strategy early on is to have Cecil fight alone in the Tower of Zot as your permanent allies join later at Cecil's level.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think my favorite goofy thing about the first Driver (I never played the sequels) was the way the hubcaps would just fly off at the slightest turn.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Choco1980 posted:

I think my favorite goofy thing about the first Driver (I never played the sequels) was the way the hubcaps would just fly off at the slightest turn.

That was a big feature in the promo vids at the time as well, and all the posters we got sent of it had a screen grab of it happening, it was quite the showstopper at the time!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

peter gabriel posted:

I loaded it up last year on a nostalgia trip and couldn't do it.
Also PS1 games have aged very poorly.

Honestly the Driver tutorial level wasn't too bad, to begin with. Do some turns, do some slalom without hitting the columns, reverse at speed, ok, fine, do a J-turn, haha gently caress you just kidding that's almost physically impossible in this tiny space without hitting anything.

The second sentence there is absolutely on point though, I fired up my old PS a few months ago because I wanted desperately to re-create the experience I had when I first played Metal Gear Solid. It's still a good game, but trying to play it on a 1080p television is painfully jaggy.

Another troll from a video game back in the day: if you finished Ultima Underworld with any of your skills over 30, a thing that was possible to do legitimately within the mechanics of the game, it assumed you edited your save file and instead of giving you the proper ending, it said something like "You finished Ultima Underworld in 7 hours, 52 minutes, and cheated on your character!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, if you want to enjoy your Playstation 1 games today, use an emulator to run the discs on your computer. You'll get much better graphic processing. I seem to recall there's a few games from the end of the system's run that flat-out overload native hardware graphics and look a mess. (FFIX for example)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, if you want to enjoy your Playstation 1 games today, use an emulator to run the discs on your computer. You'll get much better graphic processing. I seem to recall there's a few games from the end of the system's run that flat-out overload native hardware graphics and look a mess. (FFIX for example)

The thing you forget about PS1 games is they look bad as images on the net but holy poo poo the framerate is bad as well on some

• Locked thread