Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

There's ridiculously cheap older MacMinis on eBay for like $100 maybe I'll just bite the bullet on those I really don't think I need a poo poo load if power :0

E; there's even nice cheap imacs also

An older Mini will also be higher spec than the current entry level model as its the weakest one they've made. Just stick to the unibody ones, even something like a C2D model is probably going to run faster than the lowest mini.

enMTW posted:

There is tons of competition at the price point. Of course they all run Windows, that is what machines that aren't Macs run...

Yeah thats literally what I said. The point was that if he wants a cheap mac, the mini is basically the only option. Of course there is plenty of other options in windows machines, but he was asking specifically about a mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I bought a Macbook and I like it a lot

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks for the help Stux Rustee and others. To be honest I don't see that much in competition for small form windows desktop pc's, but to be honest I don't really know hwere to look :shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Abu Dave posted:

Cool thanks for the help Stux Rustee and others. To be honest I don't see that much in competition for small form windows desktop pc's, but to be honest I don't really know hwere to look :shrug:

A lot of the PC industry is doing the same exact thing as Apple with regard to small-form-factor design. If you're looking at something in that size range or smaller you're basically looking at very similar hardware.

The Intel NUC and similar boxes from PC manufacturers are basically ultrabook hardware in a cube.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Pivo.

Why? I know better than to sass mods but I'm right. This entire market segment sucks right now. Pretty much everyone agrees.

If you want it, buy it, but it's generally accepted to not be a good decision. I want one badly - next year.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What serious work do you do on your laptop?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

1st AD posted:

:justpost:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

1st AD posted:

This is theoretical because I don't have a mini laptop. But VMs, app servers, Sublime, mail client, browser with a million tabs (some actually useful).

That's what I'd use it for. And then just fun stuff when I'm not in work mode. So like browsing and hd video and stuff.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Finally got a chance to play around with the new MacBook.

Oh my goddddddddd. :fap:

Was trying to decide between a 13" Air at a similar price or the base configuration MacBook and that decision just got a lot easier. Only thing I'm still a little leery about is the one port/no SD slot thing. Tax return can't get here fast enough.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The fit and finish on the new MacBook is definitely a big step up from the Air.

The compactness + lack of hollow space and ventilation create a noticeably more solid feel, as does the single metal piece display/hinge.

The hinge is also perfect. It's hard to describe why it's such a big deal but it makes all the difference in the world for a 2 lb computer. You can open/adjust it with one finger and yet it never comes close to feeling flimsy or weak.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

4-6 week ship time on Macbooks :(

Are stores (Apple or BB) not getting physical units to sell?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Stux posted:

An older Mini will also be higher spec than the current entry level model as its the weakest one they've made. Just stick to the unibody ones, even something like a C2D model is probably going to run faster than the lowest mini.
Get out. Unless you had the quad i7 mini, the newer one is going to be faster than the old one. Slower than a C2D? Come on.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I had a C2D MacBook Pro for years (maxed RAM and SSD) and it is dogshit compared to anything available today.

Pivo posted:

This is theoretical because I don't have a mini laptop. But VMs, app servers, Sublime, mail client, browser with a million tabs (some actually useful).

That's what I'd use it for. And then just fun stuff when I'm not in work mode. So like browsing and hd video and stuff.

I don't think anybody in their right mind would expect their mini laptop to be able to run VMs and app servers.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 5, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

1st AD posted:

I do a lot of sound mixing on my MBP. Pro Tools doesn't really need a desktop and it's handy to be able to do edits on the train or whatever.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

1st AD posted:

I don't think anybody in their right mind would expect their mini laptop to be able to run VMs and app servers.

Actually I think considering how little resources these things take, I think people in their right mind would expect their runabout to be able to do those things, yeah.

A Debian VM or a JBoss instance isn't really that heavy. Realistically they shouldn't take that much. But you consider that this machine lags driving its own screen scrolling a heavy website in Safari lol come on. It's an underpowered little wimp! IT WILL GET BETTER. The design is fantastic, I love what they've done with it, I can't WAIT to get my hands on one.

But I want to get my hands on a proper one. If you bought one, I hope you enjoy it. I'll wait for the next one, that will be better in every way.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
My MacBook touchpad has lost a bit of sensitivity. Now it only clicks about 70% of the time when I press on it. For example, it just took three clicks to highlight a word in this sentence, instead of two.

This is much more aggravating than it ought to be. Is it fixable?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nagato posted:

My MacBook touchpad has lost a bit of sensitivity. Now it only clicks about 70% of the time when I press on it. For example, it just took three clicks to highlight a word in this sentence, instead of two.

Go to Apple Store. You can just return it... That sounds broken.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
It's out of warranty though... well, I'll have them see how annoying it is and maybe I'll get some sympathy.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nagato posted:

It's out of warranty though... well, I'll have them see how annoying it is and maybe I'll get some sympathy.

oh, not a new MacBook? but like old plastic MacBook?

sympathy, maybe.

anyhow the trackpad part for my 2011 MBP was like 60 bucks on eBay and then it wasn't a very difficult installation process, i think an AASP might be able to do it for you for about 100 depending on where you are and who's around you and stuff. look around.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

kloa posted:

4-6 week ship time on Macbooks :(

Are stores (Apple or BB) not getting physical units to sell?

I work for a 3rd party reseller (SimplyMac), and we received 4 or 5 in random colors around the original launch date, but haven't received any more stock since then.

Nagato posted:

Is it an older multi body or a unibody (2009-2010)?

The older ones require the topcase to be replaced, which they might still do but all of those models are either considered obsolete or vintage so it just depends on if they still have stock parts, though I'm not sure on what the cost would be. I think the 2009-2010 models should cost around $150 to replace the trackpad.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 5, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Get out. Unless you had the quad i7 mini, the newer one is going to be faster than the old one. Slower than a C2D? Come on.

Alright the C2D thing was off base, but other than that the 1.4ghz i5 is going to be matched or at least close enough that it makes little difference to the other i5 minis, especially when, again, we're talking about running word and spotify.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

It's a 2011 MacBook Air, so I'm guessing it will cost about $100 as above. And I'm glad there's an Apple Store 10 minutes from me because this is degrading fast. ugh

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am one of those 'never turn off machine guys'. Security updates were always like 'hnnng I cant be arsed waiting 10min for this poo poo to install, reboot and get all my poo poo going again'

I put an SSD in my iMac and now I reboot just for the fun of it

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ok, so I'm definitely going to be getting a rMBP, and I'm trying to decide which model to get. I primarily will be doing flash animation, compositing, and on the side I like to play some league of legends / tf2. I am not picky about graphics, I just want things to run smoothly @ minimum settings.

Is it worth the extra money to shell out for the 15" model with the quad-core, or will a 13" with a dual-core be powerful enough for my needs? I really haven't the foggiest idea what kind of impact that makes.

I also don't know how to measure the "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory" vs the default "Intel IrisPro Graphics". Will the fancy video card affect my 2-d animation at all, or just let me play videogames on higher settings? Will it affect streaming and poo poo?

Essentially my ONLY priority is longevity. I want this to be a workhorse, and I don't want to buy another computer for another 7-8 years if I can. Work comes first - video games are nice, but as long as it beats out my 2007 MbP for playability that's all I care about. Saving money would be great, and I'm definitely going to go with a refurb if I can, but what's important is not being held back by my hardware in the future.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Update for those following my CRC Error saga:

After new RAM (which I needed anyway), new cables, tin foil, an optibay, opening and closing my MBP case way too many times, and almost 2 TB of test writes -

It was the drat drive.

I exchanged the drive for a new one at MicroCenter and - boom - no more issues!

The error count did not increase when connected to my desktop, and this seems like a very odd drive 'failure', both of which were throwing me for a loop and made me think an SSD defect was very unlikely. But in my desktop the drive was in a wide open space fairly away from other electronics; in my laptop it was obviously pushed right up against the logic board and other things. So maybe it had some defect resulting in ultra sensitivity to EM noise or something.

Either way my UDMA CRC Error Count is sitting at 0 - and just in time for needing to use this machine! Yay! Thanks everyone who helped.

tldr: it's possible to have a defective SSD that throws CRC errors under some conditions (like being in a MBP, but not in a desktop), and it has happened to me with an 850 Evo

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 6, 2015

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I bought the maxed out MacBook 1.3/512 for $1739 flat with no taxes or shipping from adorama if anyone is looking for a good deal on it. Cheaper than buying it from Apple. Also comes with a USB-c to USB adapter and a hub.

The deal was on apple insider.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

you paid nearly $1800 for a toy and you're happy about it

ok

you realize it'll be outmoded in like a year?

i mean i hate to keep saying this poo poo but jesus christ you can get so much more, even from apple, for the same money. this poo poo is wack, i can't believe they're selling.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Biodome posted:

I bought the maxed out MacBook 1.3/512 for $1739 flat with no taxes or shipping from adorama if anyone is looking for a good deal on it. Cheaper than buying it from Apple. Also comes with a USB-c to USB adapter and a hub.

I keep seeing mention of these 1.3GHz models, but I can't find the CTO option anywhere on Apple's site. Also, has anyone formally benched the 1.3GHz option?

I basically cannot use the internet.

krooj fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 6, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

krooj posted:

I keep seeing mention of these 1.3GHz models, but I can't find the CTO option anywhere on Apple's site. Also, has anyone formally benched the 1.3GHz option?

You actually have to select the Macbook and then you're taken to a "Configure" page.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pivo posted:

you paid nearly $1800 for a toy and you're happy about it

ok

you realize it'll be outmoded in like a year?

i mean i hate to keep saying this poo poo but jesus christ you can get so much more, even from apple, for the same money. this poo poo is wack, i can't believe they're selling.

Could you like shut up or something? This is the worst kind of white noise posting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Pivo.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Biodome posted:

Saw that same configuration for $1854 after $50 Mail In Rebate for buying it with AppleCare. And the Adorama sale page makes no mention of the so-called "Early Adopters' Survival Kit".

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Ok, so I'm definitely going to be getting a rMBP, and I'm trying to decide which model to get. I primarily will be doing flash animation, compositing, and on the side I like to play some league of legends / tf2. I am not picky about graphics, I just want things to run smoothly @ minimum settings.

Is it worth the extra money to shell out for the 15" model with the quad-core, or will a 13" with a dual-core be powerful enough for my needs? I really haven't the foggiest idea what kind of impact that makes.

I also don't know how to measure the "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory" vs the default "Intel IrisPro Graphics". Will the fancy video card affect my 2-d animation at all, or just let me play videogames on higher settings? Will it affect streaming and poo poo?

Essentially my ONLY priority is longevity. I want this to be a workhorse, and I don't want to buy another computer for another 7-8 years if I can. Work comes first - video games are nice, but as long as it beats out my 2007 MbP for playability that's all I care about. Saving money would be great, and I'm definitely going to go with a refurb if I can, but what's important is not being held back by my hardware in the future.

Either the 13" or the 15" will be plenty powerful for what you're doing, really depends on which form factor you like.

I'd suggest the 13" with max RAM and the baseline processor, personally.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

kode54 posted:

Saw that same configuration for $1854 after $50 Mail In Rebate for buying it with AppleCare. And the Adorama sale page makes no mention of the so-called "Early Adopters' Survival Kit".

Don't know if it's still available but this is the link I used. http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...ook-pro-coupons

$1800 well spent. I think I'm gonna try to flip it when next years model comes out so I didn't need the 3 years of AppleCare. Can't wait to get it. So good.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
To all of the MacBook buyers in the thread: what color did you get?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I got space gray but I was super tempted by the gold. I think it looks awesome in person.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you have an iPhone 6, get the one that matches. They look pretty nice next to a matching phone.

Or you can be like my co worker and grab a space grey watch, MacBook, and iPhone, and just be ballin

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
You guys have any idea on when a new mbp 15" is gonna come out? I need to get one for protools and that new touchpad is really cool.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Biodome posted:

Don't know if it's still available but this is the link I used. http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...ook-pro-coupons

$1800 well spent. I think I'm gonna try to flip it when next years model comes out so I didn't need the 3 years of AppleCare. Can't wait to get it. So good.

Ah, I needed to scroll past the more expensive MacBook plus Apple Care deals. And you make an interesting point there, I may just flip it next year. After all, Apple hardware doesn't depreciate a whole lot.

Oh, and Space Gray, which matches my iPhablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

owl milk posted:

You guys have any idea on when a new mbp 15" is gonna come out? I need to get one for protools and that new touchpad is really cool.
Whenever Intel get the quad-core Broadwell mobile processors out in sufficient volume.