Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
And she shouldn't trust you, because you're kind of an rear end in a top hat. Yeah, you, the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
You kids all ready for story time? Alright, so when we last left Ion and Earthes they were on the run from the Sharl and hiding out with Tattoria.

Sorry…
Don’t worry about it. You’ve helped me out tons of times.
Thank you, Tattoria.
But…I can’t just hide here.
What?!
I’ve been thinking a lot…
Something is very wrong with what the Sharl and the humans are doing right now.
I’m sure someone is taking advantage of what’s going on here.
Who?
I think it’s the person I need to stop.
If I don’t, then humans and Sharl are going to find themselves in a lot of trouble.
Wh-What does that mean?
I told you before that I was looking for someone.
Yeah, you said seven someones… Right?

Ion did her best to explain the situation to Tattoria and Vio.

Who?
A girl named Nelo.
She’s trying to use the humans, and the Sharl, and this whole world, for her own ends.
But I’m probably the only person who knows the truth. That’s why I need to stop her.
What will happen if you don’t stop her?
Sharanohiar, and the Demon World… Everything could disappear.
What?! No, that’s impossible…
It’s true!
Ion…
Humans and Sharl shouldn’t be fighting each other! I need to go to the Demon World and stop them!
I’m sorry, Tattoria. I need to go.
I understand, Ion.
I that’s what’s happening, then I’ll go too.
Hey…you’ve been quiet all his time and NOW you’re speaking up?
There wasn’t anything to talk about, unless I felt like chatting up the elder.
Besides… I have business in the Demon World.
Vio…
…I see.

And at least for once someone actually listened to her. Not, you know, the people who mattered. But, it’s a start.

Humans and Sharl are fighting each other there, though. It’s going to be dangerous.
I’ll be fine! Besides, if I stay here they’ll just force me to go eventually anyway.
I’d rather help you look for your friends instead of doing some “salvation” I don’t understand.
Is that okay?
Um…
I’d like to go with you too, Ion. There’s someone I’m looking for our there as well.

No good?
…No, I won’t stop you, and I’d be happy if you came with me.
Let’s stick together.
Of course!
Sure thing.
I think bringing me along is a wise idea anyway.
Why?

Tattoria had actually had a good idea for once.

You don’t want to deal with that, right?
Oh… Yeah, I guess that’s true.
You weren’t even thinking this through, were you?
I can’t tell if you’re brave or just airheaded sometimes.
S-Sorry…
Oh, don’t worry about it! C’mon, let’s go!
Hold on a minute… How do we get to the Demon World anyway?
I guess trying to take Ion on the Sharl Road would be pushing it a little.
Then why don’t we open the gate at Kurt Himmel?
But you said that gate never opens.
Well, after the announcement, some first class Sharl from Tenryosara headed off towards it.
Those Sharl accompany Her Highness, or command others during salvation, so they must have gone through.
We might still make it in time if we go now!
Hm… All right, let’s head for the gate at Kurt Himmel!

They encountered a group of Sharl in the Green Ocean Hills. It seemed Zill hadn’t been lying about parts of the world vanishing.

Sharl B: Half of mine is gone too…
Sharl A: This happened because we didn’t work hard enough. This is our own fault.
Sharl B: You’re right. If we don’t go to the Demon World and save humans, it will only happen again.
Sharl C: Hey, are you going to the Demon World?
Sharl B; We were just talking about that.
Sharl C: If we lose any more land, things will get pretty bad.
Then why don’t we all go together? We need to save more humans!
Sharl A: That’s a good idea. Let’s do it!
Sharl B; To the Sharl Road!

They continued on to Kurt Himmel.

Just as I thought. They’re heading off to go save some humans, I bet.
The one standing to the side of the door has the key.
Sharl A: I hope we’re able to live alongside humans soon.
Sharl B: I do too, but I heard a rumor that very few actually manage to pass Judgment.
Sharl A: Oh…really? That’s unfortunate.
Sharl B: I hope the flasks can purify them, so they can live in Sharanohiar some day.
Sharl A: I hope so too. Anyway, we ought to close the gate now.
Sharl B: All right.
Quell->ExMY[lok]->{KURT=HIMMEL=>code::198E};
Announcement: EX[lok]-> {zix} ;
Oh no, the door closed.
Heh, just follow me.

Luckily, they had overheard the key phrase for the door.

Do you remember the spell?
Um, I think so…
Quell->ExMY[etr]->{KURT=HIMMEL=>code::198E};
Announcement: EX[etrbl] ;
It opened! That’s amazing!
Ha ha! Check that out!
You ARE pretty good at hiding and eavesdropping.
What’s that supposed to mean!?
S-Stop fighting, we need to go…
Oh, sorry.
The Demon World is on the other side of this gate… I hope Rin is there.
…Yeah.
Okay, let’s go!

Feinne’s Notes:
If we’d switched to Delta and Cass earlier, we’d actually end up stuck at the gate here until we’d played this far and opened the door. Since we’ve done this, though, they’ll just find this door open.

They descended to Kurt Himmel, where the ship met the sky.

That’s what they say. It’s the first time I’ve been here, though.
Vio, do you know where we are?
Unfortunately not.
Not surprising. This place sure is creepy…
Do humans really live here…?
I don’t know… Anyway, let’s try looking around.

Feinne’s Notes:
We can actually head over to where the other party used the vent to drop in on Nay, though we can’t do the same (even if we thought about it, how the hell would Earthes fit).

They headed into the area Delta and his friends had fallen into as they tried to escape Quanturv. There, they got a good idea exactly what the Sharl’s efforts had created in practice.

Hmm…
Some of these buildings look like houses, but they’re destroyed. Nobody could live here.
Yeah…
This is a bit disappointing. I thought the Demon World would be a much scarier place.
I don’t think humans would live anywhere that’s as scary as what you’re imagining.
Huh? Really? Hm…
These walls are a mess, but they’re really well-made. They must have been built with some awesome technology.
It feels even more advanced than Sharanohiar.
Maybe. I still like Sharanohiar, though.
It’s so green, and it just feels relaxing.
The Green Ocean Hills are so pretty… I’d like to live somewhere like that…
I like how rugged this place is, but…
But?

This is one of the things I have to admire about humans, the ability to keep clinging to life no matter the circumstances. You can take the sun, the wind… their land, and still they make what they can of life.

…I’m sure the people who live down here feel the same way.
Really?
Yes, I’m sure.
Hey, quiet down for a minute.
What’s wrong?
I can hear someone talking.

And they’re not satisfied just living, they even find ways to scrape the sort of happiness you’d never expect out of the worst of situations. Ah, um, I think I’m going a bit off topic.

Sharl B: That just means a lot of human souls have been consumed by demons.
Sharl A: That’s really scary.
Sharl B: That’s really scary.
Hello, and good work.
Sharl A: Oh, you too.
Sharl B: Wait, where did you come from? Are you here to work for salvation?
Yes, that’s right. I’ve come to save some humans!
Sharl A: Wow, good for you. They’re undergoing Judgment inside right now.
Judgment?
Sharl B: It determines which humans have pure enough souls to live in Sharanohiar, and which don’t.
Does that mean they aren’t resisting anymore?
Sharl A: No. The Judgment is only done for those training under the Genomirai Church.
The humans resisting being taken to the flasks aren’t part of the Church.
They’ve holed up in a city called Felion. It’s been a real problem, actually.
Sharl B: I thin our forces should be reaching Felion soon, though.
It’s only a matter of time now before all the humans are saved.
Speaking of which…are you heading that way?

Tattoria continued to be unexpectedly resourceful.

Sorry, but could you let me into Quanturv?
Sharl A: Sorry, I can’t.
What!? Wh-Why not!?
Sharl A: It is only for carrying out Judgment. Those doing salvation work are to use the Sharl Road.
Y-You want me to go all the way back?
Sharl A: I don’t make the rules.
…Oh. Okay.

Unfortunately, the Sharl weren’t budging.

Oh no… I guess we don’t have a choice.
I’m sorry.
No, it’s not your fault. I was a little surprised when you ran out there, though.
I thought I might as well try to negotiate with them…
That’s okay. I’m sure there are other roads in the Demon World.
Let’s try walking around a little.
Okay. I might even find some neat things to sell… He he.
You’re hopeless…

They found themselves finally at a dead end.

You’re right… There aren’t any people around either. Where are they?
Shoot… I guess we have to head back.
Should we try the Sharl Road?
But I can’t go there…
Oh, right, they’re looking for you. Hm, this is a problem…
Sorry…
Don’t apologize, we wouldn’t have made it this far without you and Earthes.
Tattoria, it would probably be best to go back for now. I’m sure there’s another way.
Okay… I promise we’ll find some clues about where Rin’s gone, Vio.

It’ll be a while before we learn more about what Vio wanted down in the ship. But for now, there was only one option, to try and push through the Sharl Road. When they got to Imperial Avenue, though…’

They saw someone unexpected.

ZIll? What could she be doing in a place like this…?

They headed into that secret area Ion and Earthes had found earlier, where Zill was having a nefarious meeting.

Here is a free hint, make sure nobody’s around before you start talking about things like this.

You have nothing to worry about.
How far are you now?
Perhaps 40%.
…You’re behind.
Perhaps a little, but I managed to instigate Kanoyeel, so we should still be on track.
I also sent Prim over to the Flask Sea to speed things up a bit.
…Is it nearly time, then?
Yes. That is why we switched the ship’s power source to life energy.
At times a crisis is required for some to show their true strength, wouldn’t you agree?
The Sharl are likely panicking now, after seeing some of their land vanish.
They likely believe they are lacking, and will work even harder to bring humans to the Flask Sea.
The Sharl are very easy to control.

It seemed that while Delta and Cass were cast into the Flask Sea, Zill had found a use for Prim.

I’d expect that much out of her. It was quite difficult to turn her into the Master Sharl, after all.
Do you still need Prim?
What do you mean by that?
I thought if you didn’t need her any longer, you might bind her to me.
The boy was not sufficient?
Delta would have been fine, but he cut me off rather easily.
Starting over would be difficult—going there isn’t a pleasant trip. Prim should be much easier, right?
What do you want her for?
Many things. Being alone makes things more difficult, and I still need to search for Ionasal.
You have the Sharl, but I can’t use my Song Magic by myself.
It makes me anxious.
I see. Well, once the flasks are filled I’ll be finished with her. You can do as you like.
Really? Thank you.

Tattoria didn’t quite get how concerning that conversation was, because he wasn’t terribly bright.

That girl is Nelo.
What? She’s the person you’re so determined to stop? …She just looks like a normal little girl.
She doesn’t look so normal to me, and their conversation was definitely unsettling.
What part of it?
The part about controlling Sharl.
But…I don’t feel any different.
You ARE pretty thick-headed.

T-Tattoria? Are you mad?
A…
A?

And then he blew it.

Who’s there!?
Ionasal…!
What have you done, Tattoria!?
C’mon, it’s really hard to stop a sneeze, okay?
Your kind can just cover your nose and mouth to stop it…
Really?! I’ll try that next time.
U-Um, I don’t really think this is the time for that…
Are you quite finished?
Like moths to a flame… Let’s capture them!
What a pain…
Earthes!

They were forced to fight Zill and Nelo, though the latter wasn’t much help without her Song Magic.

Video- “Nelo and Zill”

Watch

Boss Battle: Nelo and Zill
This fight isn’t so bad really. As with the last boss fight, Zill is a huge pain in the rear end who will attack three times if she’s not Broken and does high damage with irritating timing on the actual hits. Just as with last time, though, she’ll pretty much only attack every other turn. Nelo will act almost every turn, but she only gets one attack and therefore can actually be fully Broken (though you’ll generally need to use some powered up X attacks to actually do it). Weather Zill’s first turn and then build up your Harmonics on Nelo’s turn, after which you should be able to Break Zill any time she’s acting and cut her down to a much more reasonable single attack. If Zill isn’t acting then you can either Break Nelo for some free Burst charge or go ham on Zill just to get through the more threatening enemy first. At low health Zill will use a really annoying super move that will keep faking you out as far as when it actually hits, but honestly doesn’t hit that hard for all the effort. Blow them up with Song Magic once it goes red, same as always.

For all their talk, they were unable to back it up in the fight.

This power…!
You can even use Song Magic…
Please, stop. I don’t want to have to hurt you anymore.
…Very well. It appears you’ve become a little troublesome. We shall give up for now.
Then please, stop whatever it is you’re doing.
I don’t know what you’re trying to do with Nelo, Zill…
But whatever it is will destroy this world. I’m sure of it.
No, we’re here to save this world.
Exactly. Our goal is the restoration of this world. You simply don’t understand.
I will help revive this planet, and in exchange I’ll borrow some of the resulting energy to return home.
We need your help too, Ionasal. You can make this world peaceful, and then go home with me.

Ion may have been an idealist, but at least she knew better than to listen to known liars who are obviously lying.

…Then what, pray tell, is your goal, Ionasal?
I’m looking for people. The people I met a long time ago.
Do you mean… The Seven?

Do you know where they are? If you’re wandering around Sharanohiar, I’m guessing you don’t.
Do YOU know where they are?
…Perhaps. If you’re nice, I could even take you to them.
…What?
I don’t know what your goal is, but if you seek to save this world, then we are pursuing the same end.
If you don’t plan to interfere with us, then I have no reasons to interfere with you.
Then why did you attack me?
Our plan requires your power. You’re simply too obstinate.
If you wish to think this over, then I can wait a short time.

And unlike Kanon, she had no intention of letting Zill use her.

What is it?
That machine next to you seems quite useful.
The two of you seem to be connected by some manner of special bond.
I would like to have it as my guard for a short time.
The place where the Seven reside is not safe for me. It would be helpful if you two accompanied me.
How does that sound?
Ion…
…I refuse. I can’t trust either of you.
…How unfortunate. Then can we at least pledge noninterference?
Noninterference?
Yes. We both wish to save this world; there is little point in obstructing one another.
This will allow us to both do our best until we must reexamine our relationship. Is that acceptable?

Ion did not get a chance to reply, though, because the situation suddenly changed.

What is it?
Sharl: Humans have come through the gate at Kurt Himmel, and are attacking our city!
If they aren’t stopped, Tenryosara will be destroyed!
What?!
Humans are attacking the city…?
Why couldn’t you stop them!?
Sharl: Most of the other Sharl have one to the Demon World to work for salvation…
…I didn’t anticipate that they would counter like this…
Nelo, I will go to see Kanoyeel at the Altar of Nohiar. You go take care of Prim.
Very well. I should withdraw the Sharl from the Demon World, yes?
Yes, that is correct.
I apologize Ionasal, but we shall have to continue this conversation at a later time.

I guess one thing I can say is that Nelo and Zill were very polite and considerate psychos. Anyway, with Sharanohiar under attack Vio and Tattoria rightly wanted to return home.

I don’t know. If it is true, though, we have to stop them. I should be able to help.
Sorry! I’m worried about Honokano Village, so that’s where I’ll be going!
That’s probably best. Be careful, Tattoria!
You too!
I need to go. There’s no reason for the humans and Sharl to fight each other!

Feinne’s Notes:
When we enter the Sharl Road here, we’ll be put on hold until we progress Delta and Cass farther. We could mess around or do Kanon’s Dive or whatever side stuff we still needed to do but it’s not possible to progress the plot more until the other party catches up to us.

They headed to the Sharl Road, but that’ll be a story for later. For now, we’ll be moving on to see what Delta and Cass had been up to. Um, another day, because it’s getting a bit late.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Two Years’ Time

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well poo poo, Prim's working with them? That can't be good.

And Nelo had some sort of connection with Delta, which sounds like it might be what caused Delta to do the thing.

Edit: decided to watch the battle video and Ion's remarks are great.

Argas fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 4, 2015

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I did not expect the bird themed song magic to be a bombing run. Wow.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Argas posted:

Well poo poo, Prim's working with them? That can't be good.

And Nelo had some sort of connection with Delta, which sounds like it might be what caused Delta to do the thing.

I would assume from Zill saying she "turned her" it's more like she got kidnapped, possibly brainwashed, and definitely experimented on.

Also, having read the Ciel summary, after 5000 years, Nelo finally has shoes?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Argas posted:

Edit: decided to watch the battle video and Ion's remarks are great.
Maybe the first time, but there doesn't seem to be much variety to them. They already started getting really repetitive just within that one fight.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 5, 2015

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I stopped playing this shortly after this point in the story, but I don't recall ever, ever having a fight last that long when I played. I recall thinking that there was really very little gameplay in the thing since even the boss fights were trivial. I think this fight, they got one turn before they were dead, and I don't recall doing a whole lot of grinding. Either I magically figured out the obtuse equip system, or something else is going on. Any thoughts?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Oberndorf posted:

I stopped playing this shortly after this point in the story, but I don't recall ever, ever having a fight last that long when I played. I recall thinking that there was really very little gameplay in the thing since even the boss fights were trivial. I think this fight, they got one turn before they were dead, and I don't recall doing a whole lot of grinding. Either I magically figured out the obtuse equip system, or something else is going on. Any thoughts?

You didn't boost the difficulty. The default difficulty is basically equivalent to "casual".

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah if you leave the difficulty on "Normal" everything dies in like two turns. "Hard" is a pretty reasonable real difficulty, and there is a yet more difficult setting I could have it on if I really wanted. If I were on that, I'd have gone and gotten Nelico's Friend Skill and ground a bit more (especially before the switch, to get like 10 or so Barrier Heal items from Nay and Sarly).

So to talk more game mechanics, your big scare moments are when enemies are able to do enough damage to take a barrier down in one full turn. Losing Barriers is really bad, because it sets your Harmonics back down to level 0 and can kind of snowball into you getting your poo poo wrecked. For example, the first time I played Zill actually got me to my last Barrier because I just didn't get the mechanics well and that's the first really hard fight.

The tricky thing about the combat system is that there's nothing but intuition and experience to tell you when the actual hits are going to land, which is when you need to be Defending.

So question, what are thoughts on a short Tattoria scene/purification update tomorrow? And I do mean short, it's like four shop scenes, some syntheses, and then potentially some choice purification talks.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 5, 2015

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Feinne, I think you mentioned that the cosmosphere/genometrics are devoid of english voice acting right? Cause I just got this game thanks to that awesome sale; seriously $25 when it normally costs $50? gently caress yeah.
Just wanted to make sure of one other thing, when you're posting videos, it means that scene was voice acting, so the rest of the scenes do not have voice acting right?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The genometrics actually have japanese voice acting for most key scenes, so that just shows how low budget the translation was. Also they scrapped all field dialogue to be text only too.

Edit: Just checked it out myself, theyre completely devoid of voice acting. What a gutted translation effort.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 5, 2015

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
How did you make what Nelo says in the boss introduction sound so clear? Sometimes the music is louder than the voice acting!

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

If Kanon has not been brainwashed, I have to call her too dumb to live. I mean really. Trusting Zill?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yes, if I include a scene it should be voiced (though some small unvoiced segments may slip in as part of a long set of scenes).

HR12345 posted:

How did you make what Nelo says in the boss introduction sound so clear? Sometimes the music is louder than the voice acting!

You can change the sound balance in the options, which sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't.

Elric posted:

If Kanon has not been brainwashed, I have to call her too dumb to live. I mean really. Trusting Zill?

She's desperate to find some way to live with what she's done in the past and Zill is telling her things she desperately wishes were true. Then Ion came in and shattered her world by making her confront that many of the things she'd believed about the situation were untrue. She feels like she doesn't have any options but to move forward now even though she knows she's and the Sharl are being used. She has some reason to hope that this could still turn out okay, but we'll see when that comes around whether her hopes were justified.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 5, 2015

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Elric posted:

Is Kanon even privy to the fact that Zill is a literal crazy person? I mean there was the kidnapping and being forced to sing that one time but then after that stuff happened and I don't know if they even interacted at all after that.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Feinne posted:

Losing Barriers is really bad, because it sets your Harmonics back down to level 0 and can kind of snowball into you getting your poo poo wrecked. For example, the first time I played Zill actually got me to my last Barrier because I just didn't get the mechanics well and that's the first really hard fight.

I was going to ask why you were using endurance restore items every turn but if it actively punishes you for losing even one barrier then yeah.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Polsy posted:

I was going to ask why you were using endurance restore items every turn but if it actively punishes you for losing even one barrier then yeah.

Yeah, I also think the max harmonics possible goes down for each Barrier we're down? Like it doesn't matter now but there are really big advantages once we've Dived enough to unlock those (we'll be seeing it when we start Delta and Cass' story back up, because we've got a Dive with them soon).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Apropos of nothing, if you've read the Ciel Nosurge summary but didn't watch the videos or find the soundtrack, you should totally go track down the Genometrics Concert albums. My personal favorite, one of Nay's songs (sung by Haruka Shimotsuki):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laPcrZVr6oI

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Oh my god now with voiced devil survivor 2 you are the ultimate fool not to pick tico-tico she is HILARIOUS. I mean I guess you could be a tasteless no-hoper but I wouldn't want to live like that.

Also I'm working on an update with Tattoria's stuff we did during Ion's section, it's normal sane length and has syntheses so it should be pretty okay.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 5, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Oh, well hey kids! Your mother said I’m absolutely 100% not to give you any more Kitty Candy, sadly. That said, there is a dish on the table with some and I mean I can’t control what other people do no matter how much money I’ve invested in attempting to do so.

I keep telling you, you’re a Sharl, Tattoria. It’s just not possible.
Tattoria, Vio. What’s going on?
Hey, Ion. Great timing.
Tattoria’s trying to make cold medicine.
Cold medicine…? Well, that seems natural for a pharmacy to have.
Hmm? Oh, but it looks like your store had a lot of herbs and medicated patches, but no real medicine.
Of course. Because he’s a Sharl.
Sharl don’t get sick. So they don’t need medicine.
What!? Is that true?
Yeah… They can get hurt, but not sick. So we’ve never caught a cold before.
See? So, isn’t it wrong? Why would a Sharl make medicine?
Hmm… Well, I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s wrong, but…
See? Even the woman thinks so. You’re thinking too much, Vio.
…Tattoria. Do you know what it means to catch a cold?

Cold medicine is a pretty great racket actually, I think I can speak on topics relevant to this stuff for once.

Well, how? Specifically?
Ummm, you know… Like your head gets hot… And it begins to hurt…
…A-Anyway, it’s when your body doesn’t feel right! That’s a cold!
See? He doesn’t even know the symptoms.
Hmm, I suppose that could be a problem, for someone handling medicine…
That’s not true! I’m super serious about this, so I know it’s going to work!
Feeling strongly about it won’t help you.
I’m afraid I agree…
But you were on my side! You can’t do this to me…
W-What about you? You agree with me, right?
Tell us why you’re making medicine./I believe in you, Tattoria.
I want to make people happy. So, I thought I should make cold medicine.
Besides, it’s easy to get cold medicine, even if you don’t make it, right? Tattoria?
Nobody sells cold medicine on Sharanohiar.
What!? But it’s just cold medicine…
There isn’t any. The planet is mostly Sharl.
You can tell from our store… We don’t have any medicine for sickness.
I see…

Feinne’s Notes:
I’ve just covered the localizer’s asses by the way, that section above has shocking grammatical errors.

So anyway cold medicine, it’s great because everyone knows you can’t cure a cold right? So they at most expect something to make them feel better. Which means you can just sell them whatever you’ve got lying around and just convince them it’ll totally work and most of the time it does.

I don’t think they think about that too much.
This is like a utopia for humans. They think differently here.
Differently?
But a few days ago, it was super cold!
Since then, we saw a lot of people coughing and looking pale.
And, I asked what’s wrong, but they told me it was just a cold and not to worry.
But of course we worry! They look so sick.
I see… That’s why you’re trying to make cold medicine for humans.
Exactly.
Seeing humans in pain makes us want to do something. We can’t just leave them.
Besides, I like humans… So, I thought if I make medicine to help, I can talk to them more.
…I admit, you’re very noble for wanting to help people in trouble.
But, I don’t think that means you can make an effective medicine.
Why do you keep saying I can’t do everything!? I might not get sick, but I know about herbs!
If I use that knowledge, I’m sure I can make something useful!
You believe me, right?

You can tell they’re not humans when they don’t get that a place where people don’t feel free to complain about not feeling well isn’t exactly a “utopia”.

You’ll be fine with such powerful thoughts!
Hehehe. Thank you, Earthes!
You guys should believe in me, too. I’m gonna really make a medicine that can cure humans.

I’m honestly a little worried… But, maybe it’s worth a shot.
I-Ion…!?
Humans not having cold medicine is a huge problem.
Although, it might be difficult for someone who’s never made it before, like Tattoria…
But, it’s very important to want people to feel better, too.
If you keep that feeling in your heart, I’m sure you’ll succeed.
Yay! Thank you for believing in me!
If you and Earthes believe in me… I think I can make this happen.
Okay, Vio. We’re gonna get really busy.
Let’s make a ton of new medicine, and become the best pharmacy ever!
…This is going to be trouble.

Also this guy doesn’t really get medicine, you make it taste awful because that convinces people it’s more powerful.

Tattoria… You are such an idiot.
You’re using that wrong… How many times do I have to tell you?
Don’t say that now… It’s still delicious, so what’s the problem?
It should be a problem…
That looks really good! What are you eating?
Hey! Look, this is what I’m eating. A supplement.
Huh? A supplement? You mean like a dietary supplement? To get extra nutrients?
Yeah, that one!
I was doing research on human medicine, and I found supplements. They’re a relative of medicine, right?
So, before I started making real medicine, I wanted to make those…
I understand, but why are you eating supplements like they’re candy?
Well, I was curious how they tasted, so I tried one. And they taste delicious!
They’re just like snacks or candy!
…This can’t be good for you.
Well, he’s a Sharl. I don’t think it will have any lasting bad effects.
So, that’s why I’m going to give this recipe to you.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Dietary Supplements]!

Plus if it tastes good you might, you know, die from taking too much.

Everyone who runs a shop needs to be able to make recipes.
If you bring me the materials, I can make it right away. Come by anytime!
What will this make?/Do we have to bring the ingredients?
Umm, I think they’ll turn into supplements…
You think...? But weren’t you the one who made the recipe?
Well, I wrote the recipe, but I’ve never actually made anything. So I can’t guarantee it’ll turn out right.
How can you write a recipe for something you’ve never made?
I wrote what was on my mind… It’s pretty easy.
I’m already worried about the result.
I’m sure we can make something useful, though… So there’s no harm in trying!

So I guess they made a thing covered in protein that somehow makes you stronger? No idea.

…Seeing something this easy to understand is relieving, in a way.
This is a lot better than something ridiculous.
Wait, you already know what this thing does?
It uses the power of protein to give you solid muscles and repels attacks, right?
Woah, awesome! I haven’t explained anything, but you were able to understand just by looking…
With this much protein on here, I think anyone could guess that.
Tsk tsk tsk, that’s not all…
This might be ordinary protein, but there’s a huge amount, right?
It boosts the effect of the protein. I call it Giga Protein.
You could just call it the Protein Mound.
That’s not cool enough!! Vio, I won’t be able to sell it with a name like that.
Would this have an effect on a machine like me?/Muscular Ion… that’s kind of scary.
Of course. I already thought of that, and added ingredients to reinforce machines too.
That’s why it should make your body several times harder than it is now.
Protein with ingredients to reinforce machines… Would I be okay using something like that?
You’d be fine, it’s just protein. Also, it’s not like you’re eating this stuff, so you don’t have to worry.

Feinne’s Notes:
While it was worthwhile to see how the gently caress this was supposed to help Earthes, let’s also look at the other dialog option.

Muscular Ion… that’s kind of scary.
T-that’s true… I don’t want to imagine a muscular Ion.
Don’t talk about that! If you mention it, we won’t be able to help but imagine it!
It’s fine, nothing like that would happen.
This just makes your muscles stronger, not bigger.
It has the effect of hardening your current muscles… It would just give you really tight abs.
Phew… That’s a relief.
I wouldn’t want to see Ion turn into a muscle monster like that either…

Energy drinks are also pretty great, you just stuff whatever into a can and people will drink it.

Ion, you look a little tired lately. You should drink this. It’ll perk you up.
Is this… An energy drink?
Yeah, it’s a deluxe energy drink I made, Tatorian Z.
Tatorian… The name makes it sound pretty ineffective.
That’s not true! Just hurry up and drink it.
Okay… Here I go.
…So, is it working?
Things like this don’t work as soon as you drink…
Waah, what’s happening!?
The moment I drank this, I could feel all the fatigue and tiredness just vanish from my body!
What!? I-Is this really safe!?
Heh heh, how’s that! The selling point of Tatorian Z is its quick effect.
You shouldn’t compare it to normal energy drinks.
It’s so quick it’s actually scary./I’d like one of these.
Wait, really? Isn’t it a lot better than drinks that don’t work?
Hmm… It’s true that having a quick effect would be nice when you’re really tired.
But I’m too worried about what’s used as the ingredients in this…
I’m using the exact same stuff that’s in the normal energy drinks.
Although I’ve changed the amounts a little… I think that’s about the only difference.
Just doing that is enough to make the effect this quick? …That’s scary on its own!

But this guy just doesn’t get it, he keeps trying to make products that work out of like actual materials.

I made this, but… You’re still young, so you shouldn’t need it, Ion.
Hehe, I’m happy to hear that.
But if this supplement is good for beauty, I’d like to try it.
Good idea. It’s important to take care of things like this while you’re still young.
You’re right. Ion, don’t hold back. Take as much as you want.
Ehehe, then I’ll go all out!
Hmm… Looks like this supplement really is popular with women…
As a robot, what do you think? Do you want to try taking a supplement?
Yes, considering it’s good for health./I’d rather eat more filling foods.
Hmm, is it really like that? …Maybe I should try taking it?
That would be best. You’re cute, so I don’t think caring for your beauty would be a bad thing.
There aren’t any Sharl who aren’t cute, so I don’t see a need for any sort of beauty treatments.
Besides, would a supplement like this even have an effect on Sharl?
Now that you mention it, I don’t know. Since I have them, it’d be interesting to try them…
But is this supplement really that popular?
Surprisingly so. It’s so popular that you could even say there isn’t a woman who isn’t taking it.
T-that much!?
Lately there’ve even been some men who’re taking it regularly.
It’s called the Placenta Special. Haven’t you seen it on signs or flyers?
I’ve never heard of it… I see, so this supplement really is popular.
The one I carry is an improved version, so it should be several times more effective than normal.
If someone as pretty as you started taking this, you’d give even idols a run for their money!
H-hey, you’re not going to get anything with flattery.

Yeah especially when you’re a genderless weird thing. Huh, wow, that came across a bit hostile. They did at least do one thing right, they were selling food that was literal poison.

…I’m saying this for your sake, but I don’t think you should eat these.
I-I know that. They’re poisonous to the human body, right?
Yeah… These Honokano Dumplings are sold as pest extermination bait. They’re poisonous dumplings.
Well, one or two of them would probably just make you a little sick…
Even if it’s “just” that, knowing they’ll make you sick is enough to make me not want to eat them.
…So then, why’s Vio been eating so many of them, anyway?
Om nom… Oh, you didn’t know?
Honokano Dumplings are a staple snack for myself and the Sharl.
They might be poison to humans, but to us they’re delicious snacks.
So that’s why they’re made to look like normal dumplings?
That’s right.
Even if the ingredients are meant for pest control, if it was put in a box like that, nobody would like it.
Do you eat them too, Tattoria?/Yeah, that would only be natural.
Of course. They’re sweet, tasty, and filling. They’re the best snacks ever.
There’s a chance they’d make you sick, but I wanted you to try them too, Ion…
Why don’t you just make dumplings with the same flavor that are safe for her to eat?
In that case, she’d be better off eating some mildly sweet ice cream.
Anyway, I guarantee they’re delicious, so when you’re ready to get sick, you should try eating one.
…I’m still scared of the consequences.

Anyway, by earnestly trying to make cold medicine the little guy set himself up for only disappointment.

I’m telling you, you never caught a cold. You just won’t know.
What’s going on here?
Hey Ion! Great timing. Listen to this…
Tattoria began making cold medicine and now he’s selling it.
Whoa, you’re making it already? Congratulations.
It’s actually not that great.
Huh? Is it not selling too well?
A lot of humans came to buy some because it was never available before.
But… I guess it wasn’t effective at treating colds…
…So, it wasn’t that great, then?
Yeah… I made that supplement recipe, so I thought I could make cold medicine, too…
Don’t worry, failure is the key to success./Supplements are different from cold medicine.
Heh heh, I guess you’re right. I can’t get depressed over one hiccup.
Let’s stop encouraging him without proof. No matter how kind you are to Sharls, it can only go so far.
Well, if he keeps selling medicine that doesn’t work, one day, they might get upset with him…
At any rate, I’ve made it once now… I think I’m getting the hang of it.
This time, I’ll make it a success!
…Think? Hang of it…? Why do I feel so worried about this…
But, I can see he really wants this. Oh, I hope he succeeds.

At least he was smart about his second set of products, hot springs are always a winner.

You have a new one? Already?
Heh heh, surprised? Well, for now, why don’t you take a look at the recipe for me?
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Souvenirs from Honokano Hot Springs]!
S-Souvenirs from the Honokano Hot Springs…? That’s a little different than what I was expecting.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I saw it, too.
Knowing Tattoria, I expected him to be overly ambitious after his first recipe… And make some crazy drug.
I was, and I did.
You did!?
But, I pulled it before I was done. You know, if you’re going to make medicine, you should do it in steps.
If it’s too strong, it could be harmful to people, right?
So, you didn’t make it, then?
Yeah… If I made a drug that was supposed to cure people, but it ends up hurting them instead, it’d be sad.
Tattoria… I’m amazed you thought so far ahead.
I had a change of heart… I did some research from human medical books.

Also a mistake, if you make something that might be dangerous you just need to make sure nobody can prove with certainty that your product was responsible.

But does this have anything to do with medicine?
I see… But there aren’t any pharmacies in Honokano… Don’t tell me its souvenirs are medicinal?
It’s not medicine, but it’s good for the body.
Honokano is known for its hot springs!
And, when you think of hot springs, you think of healing sickness and injuries, right?
I get it now! It’s a recipe that replicates the positive effects of the hot springs, right?
Yeah!!
I thought if I could make something that’s similar… People who can’t go to the spa can be healed, too!
And this is the recipe I came up with.
Which means… Is this some kind of bath powder?
I think so. We should have high expectations for this one.
But there’s no way to tell if it works or not until we try it.
Seems like it would be better than bad medicine.
Yeah, I think so, too.
And… If it really is bath powder, I think people would enjoy taking longer baths.
It might help prevent them from catching cold or getting sick.
Even if you couldn’t make a medicine to cure colds, at least you could prevent it, right? Hehehe.
Heh, heh… Now you’re embarrassing me…

Oh, running a hot springs is also a great money maker. Just make up a bunch of health benefits and idiots will flock.

…These are rocks, aren’t they? Why would you use rocks?
It needs to be that way. Without these rocks, this cathode won’t display its proper effect.
Are the rocks really that great? Are they a special material?
Yeah, they’re an ore called radium, used for making radium hot springs.
Wow, that sounds like something that would be good for rheumatism…
Wait… Radium hot springs? As in the real radium mineral hot springs?
That’s right, I’m using radium ore, used to create such hot springs.
That’s why the name should be… The Radium Device, I guess?
Uh, yeah, wait a second… I still don’t understand this.
This is a cathode, right? Which means it’s used for enhancing weapons?
Of course, I guarantee that it’s super effective!
What!? How could a cathode full of radium ore possibly enhance weapons!?
That’s because it’s radium. Raidum hot springs help with your health, right?
That’s why it should only be natural that it would also make you stronger in a cathode!
…Ion, is there something wrong with me? I don’t understand what Tattoria’s saying.

Like this radium thing, that stuff’s super dangerous but you can get people to pay double to go in springs that are supposed to have it.

What’s with you guys, I thought you’d be more surprised…
What about you? Don’t you think this is awesome?
It’s amazing, but I don’t’ really get it./I think it’s amazing, you’re a genius.
Grr, I didn’t think you would say something like that, too…
No, I think that’s pretty normal.
…Well, at least you think it’s amazing, that’s good enough for now.
…So Tattoria’s okay with it as long as you say something’s amazing.

I made a product like this before, though mine was a bit different.

Tattoria… You’re the worst.
What!? What’s with you!?
Not only did you make something like this, but now you’re trying to give it to Ion.
This is called sexual harassment, you know?
Sexual Harassment? What’s that?
…You don’t know what sexual harassment is, yet you made something like this?
Huh? What!? Now you’re saying it too!?
Did I really make something that weird?
Well, this is… Y-you know?
Something lovers put in the baht, and then…
Hm? Well, I guess you could also use this as bath powder, but you don’t need to be lovers to do that.
W-wait a minute! You said you could “also” use this as bath powder?
Does that mean this isn’t really bath powder?
This powder is used to thicken food. It’s an ingredient called Thick Hot Spring Powder.
…I just want to scream. There’s a limit to being misleading.
Why would you name it “Thick Hot Spring Powder” when it’s a food?

What I mean was mine wasn’t a food.

There’re hot springs like that!?
There are, but I don’t think they’re that thick…
That’s why I decided to make this thicker, to live up to the name.
You should have just made bath powder./Then why did you make it a food?
Do you really want to use it as bath powder that much?
I said you could still use this as bath powder, so give me a break.
That doesn’t make sense. Isn’t it strange to use a food ingredient as bath powder?
It uses compounds from thick hot springs, so of course it can be used in baths.
You should think a little harder, Ion. You’re acting weird today.
…Vio, am I saying anything wrong?
No. It’s just that Tattoria is very innocent in a lot of strange ways…

He did eventually make bath powder.

That man drawn on this bath powder is kind of scary.
Ion, you shouldn’t judge him by his appearances. Furonaga was kind, open-hearted, and caring.
Furonaga? Is that his name?
Yeah, he was a legend. A man who really loved baths, and even drowned in one in the end.
…That just sounds like an accident.
It doesn’t matter if it was an accident. He became a legend. Isn’t that awesome enough?
This bath powder was made by Furonaga during his lifetime. It’s unique and awesome.
It’s called Furonaga’s Ambition – Whole Bath Version!! It’s way more awesome than the Half Bath Version.
I’ve never heard a phrase like “whole bath” before. Ion, do you know?
No, this is the first itme I’ve heard it… What does it mean?
Obviously it refers to full body and half body baths. You seriously don’t know that?
It would be stranger if I did know.

Though it was kind of boring bath powder.

I’ve never heard an abbreviation like that./Yeah, that’s true.
See, knowing that isn’t normal.
…You guys don’t know anything. I’d like to teach you about baths sometime, if I have the chance.
I prefer to relax and enjoy my baths, without thinking about thinks like that…
Oh, so you’re that type of person… Well, I guess that sounds like you.
I think of baths as a battlefield, so I’m tense the whole time once I get in.
Doesn’t sound like a very relaxing bath…
So what kind of effect does this bath powder have?
The back of the box just says it’ll make you want to take a long bath…
That’s all it needs.
When you use this, you get really calm, and it makes you stay in the bath for a long time.
Is that really something you can call an effect? Wouldn’t something like pain relief or warming be better…
It’s not reasonable to expect that much from bath powder. You’d be better off with a hot spring, or a hospital.
…I don’t really know what to think of bath powder that just makes you want to take a longer bath.
More importantly, staying in too long can make you overheat, so I’d be more worried about that.

That actually gives me some ideas, you kids stay put and pretend you were supervised all afternoon, okay?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Koei Tecmo are ever so subtly teasing a confirmation Ar nosurge Plus for Vita in the west.
https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/595669588974673920

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

quote:

Radium hot springs

Holy poo poo they're real.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Finally realized this was a thing a couple days ago and got caught up this morning. Normally I don't read/watch two LPs while they're in progress from the same person in a row, but the things people were saying about this game in the last thread had me convinced that I had to see this.

Also, what is with item names having question marks around them after you've synthesized them? Did they gently caress up in the localization and forget to include some punctuation?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Aurain posted:

Koei Tecmo are ever so subtly teasing a confirmation Ar nosurge Plus for Vita in the west.
https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/595669588974673920
Now I'll actually have something to do with my Vita other than PS4 remote play :woop:

Kadorhal posted:

Also, what is with item names having question marks around them after you've synthesized them? Did they gently caress up in the localization and forget to include some punctuation?
That's the recipe name. The item doesn't actually get its proper name shown on the synthesis list until after the synthesis scene (which is where they usually think up a name for the item).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Feinne posted:

You can tell they’re not humans when they don’t get that a place where people don’t feel free to complain about not feeling well isn’t exactly a “utopia”.

I'm pretty sure the idea is that it's literally just a cold, so humans don't care that much. They've learned to deal with minor problems like that. But for the sharl, who live in a "utopia", even that tiny amount of suffering feels like something that shouldn't be tolerated. They don't understand what it meas to have a minor problem.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Clarste posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea is that it's literally just a cold, so humans don't care that much. They've learned to deal with minor problems like that. But for the sharl, who live in a "utopia", even that tiny amount of suffering feels like something that shouldn't be tolerated. They don't understand what it meas to have a minor problem.

Vio also suggests that they're just in general not complaining of illness with some level of impression that people aren't getting sick in Sharanohiar, which we'll see later on is not so much the case.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Something made out of placenta, radioactive hotsprings (holy poo poo they're real), and an aphrodisiac, and something normal. This kid's on a road of being one hell of a psychotic pharmacist.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

InfinityComplex posted:

Something made out of placenta, radioactive hotsprings (holy poo poo they're real), and an aphrodisiac, and something normal. This kid's on a road of being one hell of a psychotic pharmacist.

As I recall, at some point he makes a cause of cancer. Not a cure, a cause. He discovers the secret to causing cancer.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Like that's hard at all. Since pretty much everything does.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Radium in hot springs isn't a big deal, guys--water is a shield against radioactivity in general. You wouldn't want to drink it, no, but if radioactive isotopes were in the soil in that area, you'd probably take fewer rads by being in the water than you would by being next to it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

InfinityComplex posted:

I almost posted the description of the Placenta Special because it clarifies that it is neither made out of placenta nor connected to the part of the ship where the Flask Sea is, which is called the Placenta. It clarifies that it bears that name because it's for "after-birth" care, so it's ACTUALLY a terrible pun.

Is that better or worse? I honestly cannot say.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I actually live 15 minutes away from there.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Feinne, do you already have an avatar in mind for this thread?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

Feinne, do you already have an avatar in mind for this thread?

I do but it's in preliminary stages. I haven't quite reconciled possible images with good text yet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Furonaga's Ambition". I have to admit, I laughed a little. Make the corners of your bath different colors, and then unite them all!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I like the item description too.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

:toot:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress are those costumes? Delta and Earthes look okay, though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Who the gently caress owns a Vita anyways. (I don't) Wonder if this version has more voice acting than the PS3 release or if its still missing 80% compared to the japanese version.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Post below mine contains some pretty nasty spoilers in that link! Seriously don't click that poo poo

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gorchnik
Jul 20, 2012

Looks like I was beaten but yes here is Siliconera's article on it.

[modedit: nope!]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 6, 2015

• Locked thread