Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Is also:

quote:

Cartwheel Charge will be changed so that the 20% Double Strike will only work for staff.

Sev~

Which I was fully expecting. And yeah pure anything except sorta casters is not great these days. Followthrough and Deadly Shadow are both really good enhancements for example, but don't compare to what taking 2-5 monk will get you for a staff rogue. I'm not sure a couple levels of Artificer is worth it, but maybe. I'll likely be doing Artificer with some rogue for my upcoming life though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are we still on Argosennen or whatever? I wanna goon it up.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
I'm on argo. I don't know where everyone else is

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think thats where the main goon presence is, Im just trying to find people to dungeon with.
Ill be on as soon as I finish downloading Grim Fandango.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Game_Whino posted:

I'm on argo. I don't know where everyone else is

Feeling like poo poo or not having the time to play as much as we'd like more or less. Playing some other games a little but really haven't been playing anything lately.

On the brightside during the server downtime tomorrow we're getting the Temple of Elemental Evil experience boost (will also raise the optional experience as a result). It's totally doable on EH pre-cap, I'm not sure it's worth it, but it's nice to have as an option at least. Also adding some more stuff to rolling a 100 on Daily Dice I guess.

They said a few weeks ago they're looking to get Warlocks out for the next Update in June, but they're not sure they'll be able to finish them in time. It's also going to be a Shavarath line with new quests and a new raid. Finally picking that storyline back up.

[Edit]:

quote:

We're currently targeting June for Update 26, and U27 in the fall-ish. U26 will continue the epic battle you experience after you travel to Amrath, and will feature new quests (both Heroic and Epic versions of the quests) and a raid. We're hoping to have Warlock out for Update 26. We'll have a lot more to say about Warlock soon!

quote:

Current plan is to have the Heroic versions be base level 13 (14 on Hard, 15 Elite) and level 30 on Epic.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 6, 2015

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

I can't seem to find a way to decontruct my dragonscale armors and that makes me sad.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They removed that years ago, it was said when it was implemented that it would be temporary.

From the Feb 2013 U17 release notes: It is no longer possible to turn in outdated Dragonscale Armor in exchange for scales.

(Does not feel like it was that long ago drat)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The team is apparently going to look at pure casters and their destinies at some point, which is great. I love Shiradi but having options would be great and casters do feel kinda meh against end bosses on EE/raids (part of that is because the HP values are too high as well but eh):

quote:

We will be looking at caster performance at the high end specifically against bosses on Epic Elite. Casters could use a boss/single target DPS epic spell that is a bit more mana efficient, and it will probably come in the form of a stacking DoT. Casters probably need some additional mana efficient options other than spamming Magic Missiles with Shiradi.

At some point we would like to look at Magister and Draconic Incarnation as well.

Sev~

[Edit] This is part of why Fire Angel owns so hard, you get insane efficiency and a good stacking DOT (unless the target is fire immune) plus the Shiradi procs, along with Ruin for when you can dump mana. It's maybe a little too strong, but I hope it's around that level of power and design that they're thinking about.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 6, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
They could look into why it doesn't hurt anyone when my Cleric hits them with her sword.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

In what sense? Is your item bugged you mean and if so which one?

As you can totally make a melee viable cleric build wise in general.

Also:

quote:

We're currently targeting the middle-ish of this month for our first Lamannia preview of the Warlock.

Cannot wait for that.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Anyone interested in forming a goon ER group (and possibly a warlock TR party once they drop)? I'm looking to grind out the melee EPLs and I'm so very lonely.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Warlock info dump up! There's definitely some interesting stuff in there. An Enlightened Spirit Melee build sounds like it could be awesome, since AE damage can be lacking as a melee sometimes. Also the multiple +5 UMDs is pretty awesome, plus UMD class skill. They've got a pretty solid spell list, there will be some rough choices there with only 1-2 options per spell level. That's good!

And we're so erratic on what and when we're playing right now Haggis I'm super hesitant to try and commit to something like that =-(

[Edit]

quote:

Your weapon has no direct effect on Eldritch Blast, but you'll want Spell Power and Spell Criticals.
Spell Critical stats do affect Eldritch Blast.
Charisma is the casting stat for all the things.

On one hand it kinda sucks your weapon has no effect (though you can normal melee with Enlightened Spirit so), it does make gearing less crazy for most builds which is good.

[Edit2] You know I didn't care one way or the other about the alignment, but now I hope it stays the way it is

Random Official Forum Terrible "Uska" posted:

Ok I was right I hate it even more than I feared complete garbage. Why? The choice to make the foolish unrestricted alignment which is against the roots of the class except for the inferior editions of 4&5

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 15, 2015

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

It looks fun-ish. I don't understand why they didn't just make the eldritch damage go up every odd level and pact damage increase every even, but it's only like a single die difference either way.

edit: Also, not seeing much in the way of self healing which could make melee-based warlocks kinda lovely until they hit epic levels.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah the lack of healing was my concern too. I'm guessing Spirit tree could potentially have some. They also get Reconstruct as a level 6 spell but I don't want another warforged or bust class :(

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Looks like recon was edited out of the spell list, so hopefully there is some good self healing in the enhancement trees, and I suspect that there will be. Overall looks like a neat class with some fun splashing from low hanging fruits, like 17war3bard. I am not sure how many warlock levels I would be comfortable giving up beyond three though, since blasting is a huge part of their thing.
The third level spells are a bit crowded, I would love to see DD moved to a 4th level spell, that or haste.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I would love to get a regular everyone log in and play couple nights a week thing but I'm in a rough time zone for that. Unless we did a weekend thing.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Man Eldritch Blast sounds like fun, I always liked the archer gameplay in DDO they're just really lacking for AE damage. So if this just winds up being a weird AA/caster hybrid thing I'm totally down. Needs some sort of manyshot though, much like Haste Boost and Endless Fusilade.

Some more stuff for those who don't want to/can't follow the dev tracker:

quote:

• Right now we're thinking that the base damage (Force) can't be saved against. Pact damage is saved against the same type as the bonus that Pact gives, for half damage:
    Fey: Reflexes
    Fiend: Fortitude
    Great Old One: Will
  • Re: Epic Levels:This question is part of why we haven't nailed down what percentage of Spell Power will affect your Eldritch Blast damage. We may also add some Epic Feats that add Eldritch Blast dice or something along those lines.
  • Eldritch Blast is fired with your auto-attack (aka: left mouse button for most players). There's no real cooldown except for what we're building into the animation. In some ways playing Warlock is more like playing an archer, except instead of arrows or bolts you are hurling blasts. Blasts of death. Or Fire, Acid, or Sonic (which we're currently working on getting different visual looks). I've been testing and showing off a basic prototype Eldritch Blast today with other devs, and while we still have work to do, I really do like the "pew pew pew" feeling.

You still use auto-attack if you toggle on the "Shapes" in the Enhancement trees (except for the Aura, which is special). So Tainted Scholars can hold auto-attack and slam down Cone-shaped Eldritch Blasts, over and over. Soul Eaters fire off a projectile that after hitting an enemy, chains to other enemies. Enlightened Spirits just need to stand near enemies to passively hit them with Eldritch Blast... but they can keep attacking with melee and ranged weapons while doing so.

BAB tentatively won't factor into Eldritch Blast attack speed, unlike normal melee and ranged attacks.
  • It's similar in most ways to arrows. We're still working on the exact details. If you target an enemy it will aim at that enemy, within a certain arc in front of you.
  • No to-hit roll, no Spell Resistance, no concealment/incorporeal checks on Blast.
  • (Blast) Tentatively ignores ranged combat feats and benefits from some Metamagic feats (probably not Quicken, but Empower and Maximize make sense, and possibly Enlarge).
  • We may examine the 9-16 second trigger in Epic Hard and Elite that can dispel charms. (I think it's 9-16 seconds, off the top of my head. Something like that. I looked it up last week. I know it's not just 2-3 seconds, which some posts seem to imply.)

Also that Uska dude is freaking out about alignment and spell points in the thread. I was against the mana thing at the start, but eh it's more for multiclassing and doesn't sound like it's going to be a big deal to the class itself, given that Blast takes no mana. Plus it means we can use good ole cocoon for self healing if they wind up weak at it otherwise.

It's hilarious how much New Stuff causes grognards to freak out. Some people are just stuck in their own little slice of time and never want to leave while everything passes them by.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 16, 2015

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.
IT ISN'T REALISTIC IF MY WARLOCK DOESN'T HAVE ALIGNMENT RESTRICTIONS AND 4TH AND 5TH EDITIONS ARE THE WORST I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY'D BASE ANYTHING OFF THIS!!!!! TURBINE, YOU'VE LOST A CUSTOMER FOREVER. I'M ALSO GOING TO CUT MYSELF AND MAKE AN EFFIGY THAT SAYS "TURBINE" ON IT AND PEE ON IT EVERYDAY

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

It's hilarious how much New Stuff causes grognards to freak out. Some people are just stuck in their own little slice of time and never want to leave while everything passes them by.

D&D grognards are the most insane people. RIP Kawaii Kiwi :(

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

New day, more Warlock stuff:

• Our current thoughts include some healing for Enlightened Spirit and some forms of temporary hitpoints in other trees. We'll have to see how this plays out in practice.
  • They'll probably get Magical Training feat free.
  • Re: Cast times/cooldowns for Blast Imbues: We don't expect these to be very long term things. If you want to switch from Cone to Single Target, that shouldn't be onerous.
  • Our current thinking is that Eldritch Blast will be Evocation and gain appropriate boosts for that, and otherwise act like an Evocation Spell. (We're still looking into tech for spell levels.) (They want to make it go up in spell levels as you gain levels to counteract Mantle/etc)
  • We'd rather you have a level 5 or even 9 Eldritch Blast at level 1 (with the DC implications that has) than be blocked by Globes of Invulnerability.
  • These are added to the spells you know. Tentatively, any level 20 Warlock will have direct castable access to 3 spells per spell level - per level, 2 would be chosen, and another would come from the Pact.
  • There's still room for mana-less re-usable abilities. This probably includes the activated Pact feats (and of course the passive ones!), as well as abilities in the Enhancement trees (including things like Eldritch Blast Shapes and Eldritch Essences)
  • We don't expect you to only be autoattacking all the time. Besides the spell list, enhancement trees will have activated abilities, many of which are activated "Eldritch Blasts" so they'll gain all the benefits your Eldritch Blast does (whether it's single target, or Cone, or Chain, or Aura). Speaking of that, various enhancements have ways to buff your Eldritch Blast damage. This includes passive "rider" effects that alter what Eldritch Blast does ("Eldritch Essences"), or ways to mark enemies so they take additional damage or debuffs when hit by Eldritch Blasts.
  • The best level 20 benefits are expected to come from Enhancement tree capstones (not that the base class gets nothing at level 20; it's a nice boost in of itself.)
  • Sneak Attack won't trigger on Eldritch Blast.
  • The AoE aura is the only one that will let you apply melee damage and Eldritch Blast damage at the same time right now, yes. That said, Soul Eater has some additional support for Warlocks that aren't Eldritch Blasting all the time, but those characters may well want to dip into Enlightened Spirit to gain the Aura as well.
  • Right now, we expect that weapon affects won't be applied through Eldritch Blast, but spell effects will be applied.
  • We hope choosing a pact is a deeply meaningful choice. Our initial impressions have mostly been that Fey is favored over other Pacts. We'd like things on the desirability and power level of Abundant Step to be in there, but you should be losing things of equal desirability from other trees. This is actually one of the reasons we are tending towards having saving throws on damage based on the same saving throw bonuses that pact provides - that aspect of Saving throws helps balance Fey vs. the other Pacts (while still letting them deal damage).
  • Eldritch Blast is effected by ASF, except in Light Armor.

Also last I heard they were looking to get Warlocks up on Lamannia later this week, don't know if that'll include the past life or if that'll be in a further Lamannia update. Really looking forward to that and seeing how things evolve with feedback and how Blast feels to use.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
They have posted the first two of the warlock trees, and they look really good, but all I really wanted to say is PERMA SHIELD! Suck it magic missile!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah after seeing the trees I'm super excited, can't wait to see Soul Eater. Spirit gets some okay sustain abilities with CMW and Radiant Burst (basically). Tainted Scholar looks like tons of fun with +30% crit damage and +60% (total) Eldritch Blast crit damage. Spirit also gets Displacement in Tier 5 and a single target Resist Energy All. I really hope there's a way to get a burst cooldown on Blast though. Haste Boost, Manyshot, Endless Fusilade, something.

Totally thinking of grinding out some EPLs with Warlock. Only downside is either having to level old school or burn a +1 heart if I wanna go pure warlock and ITR.

Due to the support of melee/archer stacking with Warlock in Spirit, I bet we're going to see a decent chunk of new builds come out of this class addition too. Super exciting.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 20, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Hmmm, so good/bad news. Update 26 is going to be basically all about Warlocks and comes out in June. Update 27 will come out in July and include the new Shavarath pack. So we have to wait a little longer for quest content, but not a full 3 months and it means they can focus their attentions on getting Warlock "right" the first time.

"Producer's Letter posted:

Update 26 is coming in June, and it will focus mainly on a new class; the Warlock! Warlocks make pacts with powerful otherworldly patrons and channel that eldritch power into powerful blasts and arcane spells. The Warlock can choose a pact with Fiends, Archfey, or even a Great Old One. The Warlock will also have three enhancement trees; the Tainted Scholar, the Souleater, and the Enlightened Spirit.

Update 27 will follow in July. It includes an all-new adventure pack that returns to Shavarath, showcasing the Archons’ side of its endless war. With your help the Gatekeepers have gathered enough Mysterious Remnants to continue their research. They’ve tracked the Remnants back to Shavarath, the Plane of Battle. You need to travel there to recruit the help of the Archons in unravelling this mystery. The Archons, however, will only aid those who are worthy, and you find yourself embroiled not only in their tests, but in their eternal struggle with the Devils and the Demons. This adventure pack will include three new dungeons and a new raid, and as usual will be free to VIPs.

They've also been moving the DDO and LoTRO servers to new data centers with better hardware lately. And they're going to create a new DDO Store so that it's not so clunky.

quote:

We want Q/A fully engaged with the Warlock release, and our attention fully on Warlock once it goes live because a new class is a big deal for us.

I should not confirm that U26 is an additional release, and that our plan is to still release three more content packs this year since our plans may have to change.

quote:

I should not tell players that Ranger will be next once we finish up Warlock in case something causes us to change our plans. Nor can I say that fighter will be some time after that, probably after we work on a new Favored Soul tree. Sadly I cannot confirm any of this information.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
They also posted the third warlock tree, soul eater! Now we can all run around yelling "I'll Swallow Your Soul!" Looks like a good third tree, and just about any 2 trees can be paired together to have good synergy, all in all a well designed trio. They do seem very positive on the idea that a pure warlock can function as a bow/melee build, which I think is one of the more delusional ideas they have ever had, but I see potential in something like 12/5/3 or 15/3/2

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So they did! And it looks amazing. I cannot wait until we can play around with it on Lamannia (third tree won't be up first preview) and especially on live. Might have to stick around on warlock for awhile and grind out some EPLs.

Nice to see all the trees having some sustain. Souleater has a life leech, Tainted Scholar has the sacrifice max hp for temp hp, and Spirit just has legit healing.

Souleater has a nice DOT too for bosses, it's not quite as good as Niacs/Eledars but it's also untyped and effects your other abilities, and Warlocks can just spam Blast for decent damage while it ticks unlike Sorc/Wiz.

[Edit] Also throwing out Consumes for (up to) +20% move speed sounds super nice as long as Consume isn't too expensive, assuming it even has an SP cost.
Souleater primary with the rest thrown in Tainted Scholar sounds like a ton of fun for a caster focused Warlock.
Dipping into Spirit maybe for Resist Energies and perma Shield if possible.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 22, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Potential Past life:

quote:

Passive: You were a Warlock in a past life. You occasionally find yourself throwing your hands into the air. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +3 Magical Resistance. This feat can be stacked up to three times.
Active/Slottable: You recall more about your past life as a Warlock. You gain +3 to the Spellcraft skill. You can attack enemies with an Eldritch Ball six times per rest, dealing 1d6 Force damage per two character levels.

That passive would certainly get a lot of people taking it just for that.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!
After not playing for ages, I decided to try this again. Hitting things is fun.

Could I get a guild invite for Woggugat please? Nobody is in the goons channel, so I'm kind of figuring there aren't too many players around anymore.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Seriously I just want them to integrate borderless window so I can play again without loving up whatever is on my second screen.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

snail posted:

Could I get a guild invite for Woggugat please?

Sent you a guild invite, sorry for the delay. I meant to log on right after I saw your post and got distracted!

And yes borderless windowed mode is definitely at the top of my list for client improvements I'd like to see.

Also posted today they're working on getting Lamannia up as early as tomorrow, but could be early next week.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

First iteration of the Warlock patch is up on Lamannia. Only has Tainted Scholar and Enlightened Spirit sadly, but I'll still hop on and check it out later tonight probably.

Release Notes posted:

• Bank
    • The Bag Deposit Box has been renamed to Shared Bank: Crafting Storage.
    • It is now possible to craft remotely from your Shared Bank: Crafting Storage supply. Eldritch devices and Barter UI NPCs will now automatically search Crafting Storage for recipe ingredients.
    • The Shared Bank: Crafting Storage still accepts the same items from bags it accepted when it was called the Bag Deposit Box, even items that are not necessarily crafting ingredients.
  • Glamered Weapon Auras should no longer disappear when changing zones.
  • Temple of Elemental Evil
    • The chance to get rare encounters in the Temple of Elemental Evil Part One has been increased.
    • The XP of almost all Optional Objectives has been increased. In most cases, the XP has been doubled.
    • Non-Mythic versions of the named items now drop. Like their Mythic counterparts, they are found in both End Chests and random encounters, but are more often found in random encounter chests.
    • The drop rate of Mythic named items appearing in random encounter chests has been increased.

Nothing too surprising, most of the patch is going to be focusing on getting Warlocks in and working well. Hopefully we get a new version with Soul Eater next week.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I was hoping to test warlock out but I didn't have the test client installed, and when I try to reinstall it I get some error about being unable to decrypt, none of the fixes I found online work to solve the problem and a 2nd reinstall didn't work either so I have to hope this error doesn't persist onto the live servers.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

quote:

We are aware that folks seem to be having difficulty getting a new installation of Lamannia to work. Has anyone been able to successfully download a fresh install of Lamannia today? Is anyone experiencing the "Unable to decrypt" error on an existing installation/patch? 

We are looking into it, but it may not get resolved this weekend

So I doubt it'll survive the next Lamannia update, let alone live. It's pretty rare patcher issues make it live. Though not impossible.

And since it only effects new installs it wouldn't hurt you on live, but sure would suck for a first experience.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

My old guild looks non-existant now. Can I get an invite to the goon guild (afterness)?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

DemonMage posted:

So I doubt it'll survive the next Lamannia update, let alone live. It's pretty rare patcher issues make it live. Though not impossible.

And since it only effects new installs it wouldn't hurt you on live, but sure would suck for a first experience.

Yeah, I just found a long post about it on the lami forums, good to know they are on top of it, and from what I am reading warlocks are in a very raw state right now so I am not missing much.

What sucks is there is a nasty bug on the Marvel Heroes test server so I can't test their either. Two show stopping bugs in two different games on the same day.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So important thing I forgot, Cure Moderate can be Empowered/Maximized and it's an SLA so it's only going to cost 5 SP anyways. It'll heal for plenty for keeping you up at that point on a 4 second cooldown. And then you can always use Cocoon in epic levels if needed. Also Heightened is listed as effecting a lot of SLAs, but not sure how much effect it'll have on Command or Confusion or whatever, need to figure that out. As it's not worth taking on a warlock normally.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Afterness I mailed you a guild invite.

And speaking of Warlocks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUCImbelAko

I've got an EE video uploading. It goes pretty well for the most part until the giants, where it gets messy, and then the endboss where it gets hilarious and we just keep cake rezzing cause gently caress it, it's Lamannia.

There's some bugs there and the lack of Soul Eater hurts, but overall I was having a ton of fun with Scholar/Spirit caster warlock.

[Edit] Bugs like: CLW is 0 cost instead of 5. Seeking Shape doesn't seek, and it levels drains 100% of the time. Supposedly Max/Empower don't work on Blast but I forgot to confirm that myself. And the usual bug with being caught doing something else, it looks like your spell goes off and it doesn't (Cure repeatedly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol5GSa7P-PQ

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 30, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

This is the most DDO video i've ever seen. The only thing it's missing is the 30 action bars at the bottom.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I usually have a few more, but I try and keep as much visible area as I can. No character transfer on Lamannia right now, so had to make due with the gear the cabinets give! Which for the most part isn't significantly better or worse than the stuff we have access to. We don't have a ton of Orchard loot or Tier 3 Thunderforged, but it's also largely useless when you're TRing until the 30 cap comes in.

Really enjoying even this first look at Warlocks, can't wait until they get the bugs worked out and Soul Eater in, and I can actually remember what all the new buttons do.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

I usually have a few more, but I try and keep as much visible area as I can. No character transfer on Lamannia right now, so had to make due with the gear the cabinets give! Which for the most part isn't significantly better or worse than the stuff we have access to. We don't have a ton of Orchard loot or Tier 3 Thunderforged, but it's also largely useless when you're TRing until the 30 cap comes in.

Really enjoying even this first look at Warlocks, can't wait until they get the bugs worked out and Soul Eater in, and I can actually remember what all the new buttons do.

Yeah I'm currently happy to just store and farm as much of the thunderforged ingredients as I can for when it becomes useful. I figured I should get myself to level 28 again and clear everything in case I want to do some TRing when I've got lots of free time again.

Edit: Totalbiscube :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Welp, I think it's about time for my yearly return to this game, followed by quitting for unknown reasons. How's Artificer nowadays?

• Locked thread