Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Amy by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
fwiw, starch (the kind used for ironing that comes in spray bottles) hangs in the air better than misted water

Those shots you linked with the reflective umbrella are more about the subject distance being close and a big light source than the quality of reflected umbrella light versus shoot thru umbrella light. A reflected umbrella, even a partially collapsed one, likely will not restrict the light as much as you might hope. It sounds like you have a softbox or a plan to make one, use that if you want controlled light that doesn't spill all over the environment.

It seems like the typical thing for a portrait of a tough athlete is Rembrandt (or just a key) for the face and torso with gridded or even unmodified rim lights at side-back.

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.

Dren posted:

fwiw, starch (the kind used for ironing that comes in spray bottles) hangs in the air better than misted water

Those shots you linked with the reflective umbrella are more about the subject distance being close and a big light source than the quality of reflected umbrella light versus shoot thru umbrella light. A reflected umbrella, even a partially collapsed one, likely will not restrict the light as much as you might hope. It sounds like you have a softbox or a plan to make one, use that if you want controlled light that doesn't spill all over the environment.

It seems like the typical thing for a portrait of a tough athlete is Rembrandt (or just a key) for the face and torso with gridded or even unmodified rim lights at side-back.

Thank you for the tip about starch. The test pic for particles was just a bounce from a near wall. I'll try to hack up a larger softbox, as the current one is just a 8"x8" one meant for when I use the metz attached to the camera.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
Harley by kidkissinger, on Flickr

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I don't have a lot of experience shooting people with glasses, but I feel like a CPL would be helpful here

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

bencreateddisco posted:

I don't have a lot of experience shooting people with glasses, but I feel like a CPL would be helpful here

You need some kind of reflection or they look like empty frames.

NebZ
Oct 26, 2005
Eddie would go.
employee portraits

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

NebZ posted:

employee portraits

I like the poses, and even the saturation. But it really looks like you blew your highlights.

NebZ
Oct 26, 2005
Eddie would go.

thetzar posted:

I like the poses, and even the saturation. But it really looks like you blew your highlights.

yeah, I honestly think so too but I kinda like them the way they are.

plus my boss really likes them and I think they may end up printing some of these so the shiny look may be beneficial during the tests I'll probably end up doing.

also: L glass is the loving bees knees. the new Canon 24-70 is so convenient to use.

NebZ fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 5, 2015

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

i think they look really nice with the blown out highs

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

NebZ posted:

yeah, I honestly think so too but I kinda like them the way they are.

Me too. They work great together as well...a nice series of portraits.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I photographed more sweaty people. I've been doing this almost weekly but don't always have my external lighting kit with me. This time all I had my EOS M which EVERYONE on this forum makes fun of, but I'm pretty happy with the results I get from it.

I don't ask anyone to smile, but they're usually laughing at me when I tell them why I want the photo.

psylent fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 5, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

NebZ posted:

employee portraits

Skin tones look really saturated and orange to me.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Thoogsby posted:

Skin tones look really saturated and orange to me.

Same here, I was going to say yellow but that might be taken the wrong way.

But yes, very orangey/yellow on my end.

NebZ
Oct 26, 2005
Eddie would go.
fyi guys:

i live in hawaii and most of us are usually shades of brown/yellow/orange depending on how much sun we get 8)

unless you're white as hell.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

NebZ posted:

fyi guys:

i live in hawaii and most of us are usually shades of brown/yellow/orange depending on how much sun we get 8)

Yes, good to know, but in this case your skin tones are all overly saturated to an un-natural level of orange for any human that isn't spray tanned.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yes, good to know, but in this case your skin tones are all overly saturated to an un-natural level of orange for any human that isn't spray tanned.

This. Also fyi: NebZ you probably need to calibrate your monitor.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I have to agree on the saturated skin tones, just bring them down a little, I live in Australia and know what getting enough/too much sun looks like and no one is that colour.

NebZ
Oct 26, 2005
Eddie would go.
gotcha, thanks for the bluntness guys (seriously).

it's been hard to find honest feedback since i got out of school.

i'll be reviewing through everything tonight.

NebZ fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 6, 2015

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

psylent posted:

I photographed more sweaty people. I've been doing this almost weekly but don't always have my external lighting kit with me. This time all I had my EOS M which EVERYONE on this forum makes fun of, but I'm pretty happy with the results I get from it.

I don't ask anyone to smile, but they're usually laughing at me when I tell them why I want the photo.

Really like this idea for a series. FWIW, people don't hate the EOS M because it's going to like, explode in your hand or something. But compared to other cameras in its class it's definitely lagging. Realistically any camera will do the job in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah they remind me of the portraits in my older (early-mid 2000's) Southeast Asia Lonely Planets where their photogs haven't figured out Velvia isn't a portrait film.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

NebZ posted:

fyi guys:

Don't get defensive when people are trying to give you an honest critique. If you think this looks like a normal human being then you might need to calibrate your monitor.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
What a wacky, zany individual.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

confident in his dental hygiene

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
ugh hipsters ugh

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

sometimes i have regrets about the people i let into my house

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

RangerScum posted:

ugh hipsters ugh

what the gently caress is a hipster

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Someone who likes the same things you like but in a way you deem to be less authentic than your personal love for said things.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

my definition has always been "someone you don't like"

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Somebody who shapes their identity around liking trendy things, but has no self awareness that they're insufferable.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm your 70s alarm clock collection

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

I did a re-edit of the picture I posted last week based on the comments - is this better? I think it's better.

tipping-point-ver-2-Recovered by Nick Bremer Korb, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm your 70s alarm clock collection

So quirky.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Claire
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

Edit: Oh, hipsters. I thought we were posting hippies.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bencreateddisco posted:

my definition has always been "someone you don't like"

It is usually always 100% this.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Edit: Oh, hipsters. I thought we were posting hippies.

Might want to have your vision checked.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

Finally set up my radio controlled flash. Even when i just have it in my off-hand, i'm really happy with the results.

Katey by Benjamin Patey, on Flickr

Katey by Benjamin Patey, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

Chitin posted:

I did a re-edit of the picture I posted last week based on the comments - is this better? I think it's better.

tipping-point-ver-2-Recovered by Nick Bremer Korb, on Flickr

looks like you cropped and darkened the shadows?

seems to have less undesirable information

i liked it before and it seems to be a marginal improvement