Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Everyone post your writing desks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

sebmojo posted:

so you're saying you prefer to poop words out in cursive ideographs

yes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Martello posted:

I concede, I am an rear end in a top hat. My new position is that whatever you do to get words written is cool.

i love you too

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Reminder that if you don't want to/can't pay for Scrivener, yWriter is free and does many of the same things, though it's lacking some features like the fullscreen mode.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

ravenkult posted:

Kitchen tables :(

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I'm constantly falling in and out of love with Scrivener.

I think sometimes I just yearn for simplicity.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

ravenkult posted:

Okay.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

To contribute, I have tried more than a few writer applications for Chromebooks and have settled on this: http://calmlywriter.com/

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Much like your writing.

(I'm just kidding, I haven't read anything you've written).

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ravenkult posted:

Much like your writing.

Hah, that was the joke anyway. Although the dumpster should be on fire and some Greek demi-god should be making GBS threads into it ceaselessly.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Desk? Pffft! Who doesn't do all their writing on the toilet?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Overwined posted:

To contribute, I have tried more than a few writer applications for Chromebooks and have settled on this: http://calmlywriter.com/

This looks nice, I just bought it. Is there a way to import google docs?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ravenkult posted:

Much like your writing.

I don't know which is worse - to be considered a lovely writer or not considered at all.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

agreed, i constantly just poop my words out and flush them away

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey again, Mercedes. I hope I didn't come off as needlessly harsh in my line-by-line crit of your story "Valley of Death. I get why we need to be needlessly harsh, almost to the point of hostile, on the 'dome--it's to keep the hugbox out. Yet, I do my best to be careful and not drink too much of the kool-aid, lest I turn into The Hulk and wreck poo poo. With that in mind, leme offer some constructive advice.

I'm on a Marvel kick. And yeah, I just saw the new Avengers movie but more to the point, your storytelling reminds me of Whedon's because, just like him, there's a healthy ammount of manipulation between the lines. This was a wrote story, but you thought that you could fool us by trying to mis-direct us by joking how bad it is. It really doesn't work that way unless first, your sense of humor works for the tone of the story. If this story was comedic in tone, the "lol, look at this cliche" jokes would've been appropriate. If the story was consistently dark, then you could've gone the gallows humor route as a "gently caress you, I ain't gonna be a horror-film statistic". You did neither. And then to play the "I've always wanted to say that" cliche straight. Right there is where my suspension of disbelief snapped, because for you to point out a mistake only to do another makes you look like you really don't look like you're doing. I know I'm repeating myself, but this is importaint. Don't try to mis-direct us, don't try to manipulate us, you're not that good of a writer. And I'm saying that not from a place of arrogance, it's just that as someone who's painfuly aware of my lack of ability as a writer, I don't dare attempt to pull that.

If I were to write something like this, I'd go the Singer/X-Men route and play it straight. You had something really dark going on with this whole team of soldiers going into a failed lab, hunting down an experiment gone wrong. I could see the gore and viscera smeared all over the walls, it would've been good to build on that. Maybe have one of the mercenares faint, then have Janice pull him up as he surreptitiously notices her turning pale. A small moment like that helps to establish the low morale within the unit, what kind of leader Janice is, and how even she is letting everything get to her. If you're gonna point out cliches, try the gallows humor style as I pointed out above, just make it to where everybody is on edge because of how the environment is affecting them.

Lastly, play the monster straight. I would've made Antionette something a little more disturbed, something out of Weapon X. Say she gets the psionic abilities from the aresol exposure to the mysterious element, but said element causes her to mentally regress to that of a teenager. The catch would be that her teenage years were so traumatic that she re-lives the trauma and lashes out around her with her new power. Sure, at this point it's "Carrie", but you could do some nasty poo poo. She would keep the soldiers from shooting her and instead they turn their guns and fire on eachother. Worse, one of them fires at random on their own. Set up that sense of paranoia. Who's posessed? Keep her manipulating everyone to where the focus is on everybody but her. Here's another idea, have her say the kind of hateful stuff a teenage girl would say as she forces the soldiers to kill themselves. "Call me a slut, will you?" she'd say as one of them snaps their own neck, for instance. I don't know, your "rich-bitch valley-teen" dialouge out of Antionette was spot-on so you're at least aware of what a teenager should sound like, I'm sure you'd know how to turn it around and figure out what a severely victimized, harassed, and bullied teenaged girl would sound like. I hope this all helps.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 6, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Huh.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey again, Mercedes. I hope I didn't come off as needlessly harsh

you've apologized like 3 loving times now. don't worry, he'll still gently caress you. jesus.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

crabrock posted:

you've apologized like 3 loving times now. don't worry, he'll still gently caress you. jesus.
I'd rather be overly-apologetic than overly-hostile :colbert:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Benny the Snake posted:

This was a wrote story

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Benny the Snake posted:

I'd rather be overly-apologetic than overly-hostile :colbert:

"Benny the Snake" posted:

A year later I slaughtered my whole family in cold blood

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Mercedes got some good tongue action, can't blame benny from wanting to keep the gently caress option open with the mercedes.

It's alright, mercedes, you can still be jesus to my peter. hate fucks for life.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Echo Cian posted:

Reminder that if you don't want to/can't pay for Scrivener, yWriter is free and does many of the same things, though it's lacking some features like the fullscreen mode.

It looks kinda claustrophobic. Is it alright though?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

magnificent7, how did you get your binder in that Scrivener screenshot to display status/target/total like that? I can only get mine to show the chapter name, which is way less helpful.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Hiiiiii... I'm back from vacation during which I - not unexpectedly, but not constructively either - started putting pen to paper again, and pondered my writing future anew. Of course, then I came back from vacation and rediscovered a bunch of chores and duties which seem to make my incipient story idea rather problematic. The idea is basically to traverse the historical context of the New Testament hand in hand with the assumption that Jesus never existed at all, if that makes sense (I'm trying to be as brief as possible). I have a suspicion that to do this idea justice would require serious scholarship which I don't have, and I'm daunted by the prospect of adding that to my todo list, considering that it's bound to take no small amount of time without a guarantee of success as I have not succeeded in any of my long-term writing projects previously.

In essence I'm asking y'all to tell me to drop it and go away, because I can't do it myself. (While a small cowardly hope for encouragement whines behind my back, obviously.)

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

instead, do the same thing but imagine if jesus was actually a dog.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

supermikhail posted:

(I'm trying to be as brief as possible).

Try harder.

If you know you're too drat lazy to write your own idea then you've already answered yourself, stop posting this bs. This is the fiction advice thread, not the "everyone waste your time to parrot what I just said back at me" thread.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Quit writing

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So. you want to essentially rewrite the New Testament, from begining to end, and pretend that Iesus never historically existed, which in itself is bad history. You would also have to do this in the original Koine Greek that the New Testament was written, and not the countless translations that exist of it.

Here's a suggestion: Don't.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
just write, dont not write

dont suck, do suck at sucking

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
can we just replace this thread with a link to a dictionary, a thesaurus, some writing softeware and the words "just write"

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
we need a :wom: for just write

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

supermikhail posted:

Hiiiiii... I'm back from vacation during which I - not unexpectedly, but not constructively either - started putting pen to paper again, and pondered my writing future anew. Of course, then I came back from vacation and rediscovered a bunch of chores and duties which seem to make my incipient story idea rather problematic. The idea is basically to traverse the historical context of the New Testament hand in hand with the assumption that Jesus never existed at all, if that makes sense (I'm trying to be as brief as possible). I have a suspicion that to do this idea justice would require serious scholarship which I don't have, and I'm daunted by the prospect of adding that to my todo list, considering that it's bound to take no small amount of time without a guarantee of success as I have not succeeded in any of my long-term writing projects previously.

In essence I'm asking y'all to tell me to drop it and go away, because I can't do it myself. (While a small cowardly hope for encouragement whines behind my back, obviously.)

Drop it, go away forever, and never think of writing again

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

supermikhail posted:

Well... the fact that it happened again maybe should make me face up to my actual attitudes to writing, that I've secretly hated it for a while now, have perhaps hated myself, and have certainly had from time to time to let out some steam in passive-aggressive barely held-back attacks on fellow human beings. Apologies for that. I guess I'll maybe see you in a year?

What happened to this?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I think you should laboriously throw out your story ideas here.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Mrenda posted:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mrenda posted:

I made some big dumb long post and the internet ate it, which is pure serendipity.

I don't have to laboriously throw out story ideas. That's why I write on a dumpster.

I spent about 3 hours writing today and about 2 of those purely in outlining and about 1 in actual writing. I don't feel I've wasted my time at all. In fact, I am totally on the outlining bandwagon these days. How much do you jerks outline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

• Locked thread