Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Is there a difference between "Qi" and "wireless" charging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mogomra posted:

Is there a difference between "Qi" and "wireless" charging?

All Qi is wireless charging, not all wireless charging is Qi.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Rapid charge and Qi are the tits. Since getting this S6 edge I don't think I could go back to one let alone neither.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So I finally got lucky with a "Join Edge and upgrade early!" offer, so my S6 is on its way. I am pumped for everything this thread has a boner over (Qi!, Quickcharge 2.0! gently caress Touchwiz!). I have been stalking this thread and gotten some of the things that you seem to like like Diztronic and the like, but I still have a need I would like some help with. What portable battery packs do people run with on a Quickcharge device? I really wanted this that I have read cool stuff about (quickcharge, 2+ recharges, not gigantic), but it has been unavailable for like 2 weeks. Any advice?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is there an audible difference from the phone to phone (m8, s6, note 4, lg g4) when wearing headphones, or do they all use similar DACs? Reason I ask is because it'll be my main listening device, using a pair of amped studio headphones.

I'm not an audiophile, just wondering if this is something to consider.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Is it possible to re-carrier lock a phone? I got an AT&T Moto X from the eBay deal, and I can't get it to accept any T-mobile SIM.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Google Butt posted:

Is there an audible difference from the phone to phone (m8, s6, note 4, lg g4) when wearing headphones, or do they all use similar DACs? Reason I ask is because it'll be my main listening device, using a pair of amped studio headphones.

Historically Samsungs have always had the best DAC, but I'm not sure on the new phones. I believe GSMArena lists that, though - or if not, a quick Google should pull it up.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Harmburger posted:

Is it possible to re-carrier lock a phone? I got an AT&T Moto X from the eBay deal, and I can't get it to accept any T-mobile SIM.

I got the same phone. You have to manually enter in the T-Mobile APN settings. I talked to t mobile support but I'm pretty sure you can google their apn settings and plug them in.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Google Butt posted:

The s4 has a somewhat low headphone jack voltage but that's not an issue if you're using amped cans. Also I doubt it is so low as to impede listening

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

MycroftXXX posted:

I got the same phone. You have to manually enter in the T-Mobile APN settings. I talked to t mobile support but I'm pretty sure you can google their apn settings and plug them in.

Went to the store and had them enter the APN settings earlier. Called Quality Cellz CS and they said something's wrong with the phone, so I guess I'm returning it.

In that case, what's a good phone for around $250 that's new? The phone is for my wife and used phone shenanigans have ended up poorly for her more than once. I thought this "manufacturer refurbished" phone would do the trick, but here we are with more shenanigans.

e: We're on T-Mobile and require 4G.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 6, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Harmburger posted:

Went to the store and had them enter the APN settings earlier. Called Quality Cellz CS and they said something's wrong with the phone, so I guess I'm returning it.

In that case, what's a good phone for around $250 that's new? The phone is for my wife and used phone shenanigans have ended up poorly for her more than once. I thought this "manufacturer refurbished" phone would do the trick, but here we are with more shenanigans.

e: We're on T-Mobile and require 4G.

Are you sure it's unlocked? Should be able to get an unlock in eBay

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Are you sure it's unlocked? Should be able to get an unlock in eBay

The lady I talked to at Quality Cellz said if it's locked it wouldn't let me past the home screen with the wrong SIM and it'd be prompting me for a correct(at&t) SIM.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Harmburger posted:

The lady I talked to at Quality Cellz said if it's locked it wouldn't let me past the home screen with the wrong SIM and it'd be prompting me for a correct(at&t) SIM.

I don't think that's accurate. The only thing an unsupported SIM in a locked phone would prevent is calling non emergency numbers.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Quality Cellz certainly sounds like a trustworthy business.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Whizbang posted:

Inequality sells

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

madkapitolist posted:

Is a quick charge 2.0 charger (18W) worth it? I am using a moto x 2014. I notice that some reviews say they get roughly 1% per minute, but I am already charging that fast a regular charger.

Absolutely. No question. If you have an hour, you have a fully (or almost fully) charged phone. I got my car quick charger today and I'm super pumped to use it. Get one.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say you probably don't have a good use for one. If you made it through the day previously without desperate charging interludes, you'll probably be fine without a quick charger. It might add some convenience, sure, but I was making it through the day with a Nexus 4 that (aside from at night) I only charged on my 15-minute drive to and from school, and any phone from the last year will have at least that much battery life.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Whizbang posted:

Getting down to the bottom of it, I called AT&T, and the reason they won't give me an unlock code is because the IMEI is activated on another account. Guess I'm returning this phone, especially being that they don't offer to unlock it when I called again with a problem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm having a strange issue with group MMSs. I have a 2014 Moto X on Verizon, and when I send a group text, it seems to send fine. Then, I'll get an audible notification from LightFlow (nothing in the notification bar) maybe a minute later, then again another minute later. LightFlow says there's an MMS notification. What's going on? I've checked Textra, Messaging, and Messenger, and none have any new message when this happens.

hooah fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 6, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

http://phandroid.com/2015/05/04/moto-x-promo-225-dollars-off/

Big sale on the Moto X 2014 today - up to $225 off. Maybe not long before we hear about the Moto X 2015?

Hey look at that, we're hearing about the Moto X 2015:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Third-generation-Motorola-Moto-X-specs-leak_id68996

The rumor gives it similar internals to the LG G4, while keeping the (relatively) small 5.2" screen size.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Rastor posted:

Hey look at that, we're hearing about the Moto X 2015:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Third-generation-Motorola-Moto-X-specs-leak_id68996

The rumor gives it similar internals to the LG G4, while keeping the (relatively) small 5.2" screen size.

3280mh battery, nice.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

I don't think that's accurate. The only thing an unsupported SIM in a locked phone would prevent is calling non emergency numbers.

It's accurate for iphones

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's accurate for iphones

In the strange business of my phone not working, I went to the AT&T store to see if they could swap in an AT&T sim ruling out the sim reader being broken. It turns out somewhere on my walk the Moto X decided it wanted to read the sim. Now to call T-Mobile and get it activated and see what happens.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this_is_hard posted:

3280mh battery, nice.
A battery that lasts 3.28 hours is exceedingly unimpressive.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Endless Mike posted:

A battery that lasts 3.28 hours is exceedingly unimpressive.

Holy poo poo, the 2200mAh battery in my 2014 Moto X isn't really lasting me through the day???

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

nerve posted:

Lol if you own a scrub phone that doesn't have both Qi and turbo charging

And voice control.

Get out of here with your plebe phones

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Whizbang posted:

Sketchy name, sure, but they are legit. They sold like 18k+ of the G2's. I got one for my older sister and she's over the moon with it (came from some poo poo ZTE something on Straight Talk).

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

RVProfootballer posted:

All Qi is wireless charging, not all wireless charging is Qi.

Thanks, but it sounds to me like the difference is only the branding. :shrug:

e: I guess my question is, "What makes Qi better than other wireless charging standards?" I'm no electrical engineer, give it to me straight, goons.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 6, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hooah posted:

Holy poo poo, the 2200mAh battery in my 2014 Moto X isn't really lasting me through the day???
Reread what he wrote.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

nerve posted:

Bob A Feet posted:

And voice control.

Get out of here with your plebe phones

TURBO LYFE

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

kensei posted:

TURBO LYFE

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Mogomra posted:

e: I guess my question is, "What makes Qi better than other wireless charging standards?" I'm no electrical engineer, give it to me straight, goons.

Mass adoption is what makes any standard better.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Endless Mike posted:

Reread what he wrote.

Ah, yes. I assumed, and missed your joke.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

nerve posted:

It's unfortunate that the LG G4 will lack both.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Hughmoris posted:

It's unfortunate that the LG G4 will lack both.

Just don't purchase that telephone

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

nerve posted:

Just don't purchase that telephone

I like everything about the G4 except the fact that it lacks quick charging and/or Qi charging. I'll still probably buy it though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mogomra posted:

As an ordinary person, there is one reason why Qi is better than other standards for you: there are products available that adhere to the Qi standard. There isn't really anything for the other standards.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kensei posted:

TURBO LYFE

Nexus 6 supremacy :smuggo:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kensei posted:

TURBO LYFE

If the choice is between giving money to Verizon or unanesthetized dental work I'd be choosing a visit from the tooth fairy.

visuvius posted:

I like everything about the G4 except the fact that it lacks quick charging and/or Qi charging. I'll still probably buy it though.

Lacks the hardware features I want, software that's any good, or timely updates but all the other stuff is good. So basically what it is, what it does, and what it will be sucks but the rest of it is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

isndl posted:

As an ordinary person, there is one reason why Qi is better than other standards for you: there are products available that adhere to the Qi standard. There isn't really anything for the other standards.

Yes this. If you've heard anyone talking about wireless charging, they're talking about Qi. There are no devices of the other sort on sale. There are no chargers of the other sort on sale.

Outside of some bizarre coffeeshop tie in deal in the US, there are no non-Qi wireless chargers anywhere.

IKEA are going to sell Qi chargers integrated into furniture. Qi has won.