Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Ler posted:

What do you want to study?
If you can afford rent + monthly expenses for 1 or 2 years, I'd look at studying somewhere in the EU where the tuition costs are non-existent or only incur administration fees like €400/year.

Although I'm all for abandoning Australia and not providing any more money or brainpower to enable this lovely country, studying in Europe isn't that easy. You need to find a university that provides English speaking courses in your field which is probably going to be in either the UK or the Netherlands. The UK doesn't have to be super expensive if you don't live in London but it also doesn't have the progressive education system you're talking about here. The fees change between countries in the EU as well - they're not identical across the board, and the fees in Germany have been misrepresented in social media lately. The NL is a better bet but be prepared for a lot of cold wet days and a more reserved culture than you're used to in Australia. Additionally, I don't know about post-grad stuff but the tertiary education system in most EU countries is quite different to that of Aus, for undergrad at least in Germany and France and Italy it tends to be large lectures and a lot of self-managed work, far less tutorials and things like that. Undergrad in Italy is actually this bizarre system where students proceed at their own pace and so can often take close to a decade for a simple degree, because they choose to push certain subjects and exams (like English exams) way to the end and then freak out and forget how to study.

I'm not saying it's impossible or that the degrees are worthless but it's not as simple as "400 euros a year and you get to bang French guys/girls". There are a lot of fantastic reasons to do it but saving money isn't terribly high up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Studying in Europe isn't that easy. You need to find a university that provides English speaking courses in your field which is probably going to be in either the UK or the Netherlands.

This isn't true. I know plenty of universities across all the Nordics, NL, Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Czech, Italy, Switzerland and even in Spain that provide masters in English. Sure finding one in your field is the question but it isn't terribly difficult - not like it was 5 or 10 years ago. Since the GFC I would say there has been a large shift towards teaching graduate programs and a push to bring in more bachelors programs in English.

There are also programs that are spread across 4 countries, 1 semester in each. My ex did this and ended up in Denmark, Belgium, Spain and Austria - all in English - an urban development/city planning masters.
The easiest quick resource to use is mastersportal.eu and go from there. There really is a huge wealth of courses out there across at least a dozen countries that will be fully taught in English. Personally I completed an undergrad and masters in Sweden, I studied courses in Spain and Netherlands and taught some classes in Vienna.

I would advocate any one going abroad for the masters for the reason that it is an incredible experience to live abroad that, even if temporarily.
You will probably end up paying the same in the end, ie:
In Australia - you're legally able to work while you study, but you pay $15- 20k for a masters.
In EU - you may or may not get to work (depending on your visa, country and even university and you spend about $15k-20k on living expenses over 2 years

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Negligent posted:

by that time Australian universities will be so bereft of funding they will basically prostitute themselves to cashed-up internationals. So yes! Come here and share a postgrad degree with someone who can barely speak English.

But this is already the case.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Ler posted:

This isn't true. I know plenty of universities across all the Nordics, NL, Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Czech, Italy, Switzerland and even in Spain that provide masters in English. Sure finding one in your field is the question but it isn't terribly difficult - not like it was 5 or 10 years ago. Since the GFC I would say there has been a large shift towards teaching graduate programs and a push to bring in more bachelors programs in English.

There are also programs that are spread across 4 countries, 1 semester in each. My ex did this and ended up in Denmark, Belgium, Spain and Austria - all in English - an urban development/city planning masters.
The easiest quick resource to use is mastersportal.eu and go from there. There really is a huge wealth of courses out there across at least a dozen countries that will be fully taught in English. Personally I completed an undergrad and masters in Sweden, I studied courses in Spain and Netherlands and taught some classes in Vienna.

I would advocate any one going abroad for the masters for the reason that it is an incredible experience to live abroad that, even if temporarily.
You will probably end up paying the same in the end, ie:
In Australia - you're legally able to work while you study, but you pay $15- 20k for a masters.
In EU - you may or may not get to work (depending on your visa, country and even university and you spend about $15k-20k on living expenses over 2 years

I know my girlfriend had been looking at unis all over Europe and the only ones with postgrad courses she could do were in the UK and the NL (possibly scandinavia as well but she doesn't want to go that far north). I guess it depends on your field or maybe we just sucked at looking - I've tried finding a course I'd want to do but as soon as you step outside of an English-speaking country your options are far more limited. I guess it depends how important the specifics of your course are? You can find an English postgrad course in History super easily but whether it's your chosen/preferred area is a different matter.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Tony Abbott can't put his loving homophobia away for a few minutes to meet the partner of our ambassador to France, asking him to stay in the car instead. loving turd of a man.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Waitgate?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Twitter seems to think so, though that might just be ewe2..

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

Tony Abbott can't put his loving homophobia away for a few minutes to meet the partner of our ambassador to France, asking him to stay in the car instead. loving turd of a man.

This is all a big shake-up by the left-wing media. While Abbott's office has no comment on the matter, outsider LNP MP Josh Frydenberg can confirm that, while he has absolutely no knowledge of the event in any capacity, he knows that Abbott was very happy to meet this specific same-sex couple and that he personally doubts (without categorically denying it) the instruction was ever given. He knows this because at an unspecified time in the past Abbott pulled him aside and said "Hey, don't ask me why I'm mentioning this, and it's not a big deal or anything, but about a month ago I met the Ambassador to France and his same-sex partner on the tarmac at some dime-a-dozen ceremony and I was very happy to do so. Very happy indeed. Now, I need to go, but make sure you remember that."

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
imo its more likely toned abs handlers were afraid of a photo of their guy with a samesex couple than any actual homophobia on his part

i mean the dude is p cool with rolling around in his undies to the extent its a lovely meme so

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Negligent posted:

imo its more likely toned abs handlers were afraid of a photo of their guy with a samesex couple than any actual homophobia on his part

i mean the dude is p cool with rolling around in his undies to the extent its a lovely meme so

He finds homosexuality "threatening" (his words).

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

well if t.abbs was so petrified of catching teh ghey then he probably wouldnt have gone to to dinner with the dudes

quote:

Mr Abbott hosted a farewell dinner for Mr Brady and Mr Stephens when the couple left Canberra to take up the Paris job.

The prime minister also invited them to a staff dinner in Paris on April 26.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
He is a typical conservative.

loving hates faggots, browns and basically anything other than themselves.

Unless you're a friend, then you're ok. It's just the others that are hosed.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Negligent posted:

Ah yes, the far better situation in which instead of discriminating against a same-sex couple due to personally finding homosexuality repulsive, he discriminates against a same-sex couple due to pandering to the views of other people who find homosexuality repulsive. Wait, how is that better?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

in the same way that the Greens PR advisors tell them their grassroots supporters more out-there views are hurting electability.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

go to literally any Greens branch meeting and start a sentence with "the party seems to have lost its way on"

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The majority of Greens in federal parliament are just lawyers and party hacks, in fact lawyers make up the exact same proportion as the Liberal Party.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Negligent posted:

Please pay attention to me.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Better do the thing he wants you to do then

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Better do the thing he wants you to do then

You can only ignore the squealing brat in the room for so long before you have to tell him to shut up.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Starshark posted:

You can only ignore the squealing brat in the room for so long before you have to tell him to shut up.

Okay -- all you screaming brats who aren't on ignore for being GC or Negligent: please shut up about GC or Negligent.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I might be a bit late for HECS chat, but - is it really that outrageous a notion that we make people pay back their student loans? I know Tone's generation got free education, but the only thing that really bothers me about that is that they've not only pulled up the rope but have then attacked my generation for being "entitled."

I'm not much of an economist, and I consider myself a lefty, but on a fundamental level I don't have an issue with the state providing kids with an interest-free loan which they only have to pay back once they start earning a certain amount. My own experience with HECS kicked in for the first time in the financial year before last, when I earned 55 grand before tax and the result of that was that I didn't get any tax back, and owed the ATO $200, because of my HECS debt. I grumbled about it, but was well aware that it was more than fair. $200 over the course of a year is gently caress all, and I was living a pretty good life. If I wasn't earning that much, I wouldn't be paying the HECS.

The state (the people) provided me with an education, and if said education manages to net me an entry-level job where I earn 55 grand a year, I think it's eminently fair and reasonable for me to pay the state (the people) back. Isn't it?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

freebooter posted:

I might be a bit late for HECS chat, but - is it really that outrageous a notion that we make people pay back their student loans? I know Tone's generation got free education, but the only thing that really bothers me about that is that they've not only pulled up the rope but have then attacked my generation for being "entitled."

I'm not much of an economist, and I consider myself a lefty, but on a fundamental level I don't have an issue with the state providing kids with an interest-free loan which they only have to pay back once they start earning a certain amount. My own experience with HECS kicked in for the first time in the financial year before last, when I earned 55 grand before tax and the result of that was that I didn't get any tax back, and owed the ATO $200, because of my HECS debt. I grumbled about it, but was well aware that it was more than fair. $200 over the course of a year is gently caress all, and I was living a pretty good life. If I wasn't earning that much, I wouldn't be paying the HECS.

The state (the people) provided me with an education, and if said education manages to net me an entry-level job where I earn 55 grand a year, I think it's eminently fair and reasonable for me to pay the state (the people) back. Isn't it?

Here is a radical idea. How about instead of letting people get rich digging up and literally selling chunks of Australia for private profit we use the money gained from the literal removal of our country go into a fund to ensure that we can provide education for the Australian people at no cost to them. This means we don't have to chase up student loans.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

freebooter posted:

While a free education would be ideal, I have no issue with the HECS system as it currently works. The current debate is about getting Australians who have emigrated to pay back their loans. While ideally they would, the costs of chasing them down far outweigh the benefits of getting that debt back. I don't think anyone here is against HECS as a system, just the changes the Libs want to bring in (higher Uni costs, deregulation of Uni costs, government covers less).

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Birb Katter posted:

Here is a radical idea. How about instead of letting people get rich digging up and literally selling chunks of Australia for private profit we use the money gained from the literal removal of our country go into a fund to ensure that we can provide education for the Australian people at no cost to them. This means we don't have to chase up student loans.

The country might even benefit from having more university educated people running around.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

While a free education would be ideal, I have no issue with the HECS system as it currently works. The current debate is about getting Australians who have emigrated to pay back their loans. While ideally they would, the costs of chasing them down far outweigh the benefits of getting that debt back. I don't think anyone here is against HECS as a system, just the changes the Libs want to bring in (higher Uni costs, deregulation of Uni costs, government covers less).

I am against the HECS system. Uni should be free. The economic benefits vastly outweigh having to go into debt to pay for uni, both on a personal level, and for the wider community.

Less money being funnelled from the pockets of the public into institutional bank accounts means more money floating around the general economy which means more jobs, more income tax, more gst, more social mobility, and a more productive, skilled workforce.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Birb Katter posted:

Here's an idea, instead of paying your HECS do something that's completely unrealistic instead?

I probably wouldn't begrudge anyone for not paying their HECS if they live overseas, but it's nothing to be proud of.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

The country might even benefit from having more university educated people running around.
I am all for paying more taxes if it goes towards education and I get to live in a country with less dumb cunts.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Rougey posted:

I am all for paying more taxes if it goes towards education and I get to live in a country with less dumb cunts.

Most of the liberal poloticians went to uni.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

KennyTheFish posted:

Most of the liberal poloticians went to uni.
Point.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I find free education to be a much better idea, but don't have anything against HECS as a very good compromise... IF they don't start lowering the thresholds so even grads who fall through the cracks into perpetual underemployment have to pay back too. And if they don't just deregulate the hell out of fees and think the threshold scheme means they can pretend the amount of debt doesn't even matter as a deterrent to poorer people.

So while I agree on a surface level with Pyne's quip about rich bankers in New York paying back their HECS, yeah that would be great, but I don't have any faith that's how it's actually going to work out if this government had its way.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Italian navy chief sceptical of Australian asylum seeker solution to Mediterranean migrant crisis

An Italian navy chief has said he is sceptical about suggestions Europe should adopt Australia's policy of turning back migrant boats to end the current crisis in the Mediterranean.

A surge in both the numbers of migrants reaching Europe from north Africa and deaths at sea led to calls for the European Union to consider a similar approach, with the aim of deterring people from contemplating the journey in the first place.

Last month Prime Minister Tony Abbott called on European leaders to stop the "terrible problem".

"The only way you can stop the deaths is to stop the people-smuggling trade. The only way you can stop the deaths is in fact to stop the boats," he said.

"That's why it is so urgent that the countries of Europe adopt very strong policies that will end the people smuggling trade across the Mediterranean."

But Admiral Donato Marzano, who will host a seminar of navy supremos from 26 European countries on Friday, said it would not be morally or practically feasible to start escorting barely seaworthy migrant boats back to conflict-wracked Libya.

"There are several countries that apply a policy of expulsion, even by force of arms, others apply the international right to rescue," he said when asked if Italy could learn from Australia's experience.

"I am a sailor who has spent 20 years on boats. If I find a boat adrift, I'm sorry, but I don't turn away.

"I intervene to help people at sea. I don't know if this reflects my Italian culture but I do know it is international law.

"A vessel in difficulty, whether it is a boat full of migrants or a merchant ship, has to be assisted."

Australia has advised the EU to follow its lead and Mr Abbott said this week that his officials were in touch with their European counterparts on the issue.

EU officials in Brussels have denied any such contact, suggesting there is little appetite for a move that would inevitably cause an outcry from rights groups.

Some right-wing leaders, including France's Marine Le Pen, backed the Australian model as a solution to migratory pressures which have resulted in about 5,000 people drowning in waters between Libya and Italy since the start of 2014.

'Australian experience one that can be discussed'

Mr Marzano said navy chiefs would do what their political masters asked them, but said he did not detect any enthusiasm for moving away from search-and-rescue operations aimed at minimising the loss of life while trying to find other ways of stemming the migrant flows.

"If there is a political decision to do other activities like expulsions, then we will have to find the appropriate solution for the situation but at this moment that doesn't seem to me to be the situation," he said.

Friday's talks on the security environment off Europe's southern coasts are expected to be dominated by the issue of illegal immigration, but will also touch on questions of the movement of terrorists and piracy.

"Australia is not involved in these discussions but obviously it is involved in other international forums and the Australian experience is one that can be discussed and compared," Mr Marzano said.

"But the problem of clandestine immigration is so incredibly complex, I don't think any magic formula exists — otherwise we would already have found it.

"We have a crisis situation that has many different aspects and which from a European perspective is without precedent.

"There are so many people fleeing war, so many people fleeing not only in search of work but also to save their lives.

"There are so many different aspects to the problem I don't think anyone has a magic solution, be they Australian, Italian, European or French.

"All we can do is share our experiences and try to resolve a problem which is getting ever more urgent."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-06/italy-navy-chief-sceptical-australian-solution-to-migrant-issue/6447708

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
The funniest thing about HELP is that the people most likely to use a lot of it (postgrads) are also the least likely to stay in the country afterwards by virtue of there being very few research jobs in Australia. Brain drain occurs for a reason, lads, and it's not "taxes are too high".

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fact check: Did abolishing negative gearing push up rents?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

QUACKTASTIC posted:

"I am a sailor who has spent 20 years on boats. If I find a boat adrift, I'm sorry, but I don't turn away.

"I intervene to help people at sea. I don't know if this reflects my Italian culture but I do know it is international law.

"A vessel in difficulty, whether it is a boat full of migrants or a merchant ship, has to be assisted."

:zpatriot:

I wonder how the more seasoned members of our Navy feel about the current policy.
E:

Shouldn't that be "would"?

E again: whoops, read it, never mind.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

freebooter posted:

People who benefited from a tertiary educations were already contributing more back to the commonwealth through increased earnings and increased income taxes.

The kids going through uni now how are facing loan debts objectively 2-4 times higher than what I did have every right to feel dudded. I don't even know what people mean when they use 'entitled' as a perjorative, but if it's pointing out that you got a shittier deal than the people who went before you then it can't be a bad thing.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Milne steps down as leader of the Greens

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:zpatriot:

I wonder how the more seasoned members of our Navy feel about the current policy.

There was a pretty good article a few months ago about sailors suffering PTSD after having to haul in dozens of drowned families and being told to not intervene when boats appear to be in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Brisgoons, where are we meeting this month?

• Locked thread