Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Yes, I've been taking classes with him for two years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

When do trident maples go into leaf? Most of the trees in my region are already in leaf, including many maples. Do bonsais leaf slower than normal trees? My little guy has a few buds that look like they'll open eventually, but they're either moving incredibly slowly or not at all.

There were a few cold nights (mid 20s to 30f or so) after I pulled him out of cold storage so I'm wondering if his roots got damaged?

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 2, 2015

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

kedo posted:

When do trident maples go into leaf? Most of the trees in my region are already in leaf, including many maples. Do bonsais leaf slower than normal trees? My little guy has a few buds that look like they'll open eventually, but they're either moving incredibly slowly or not at all.

There were a few cold nights (mid 20s to 30f or so) after I pulled him out of cold storage so I'm wondering if his roots got damaged?

Mine are fully leafed out already. I don't know what region you live in, it might be totally normal for you. One quick test is to find a twig and scrape the bark with the edge of your nail. If you expose green cambium the tree is still alive and you have nothing to worry about. Brown wood and it is most likely dead.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So, I've had the bonsai that I posted a few pages back for a few years now and I'm looking to try out some techniques that I've never done before. I figure I need to change the pot, trim the roots, wire the branches, and try and get the leaves to grow in smaller. What should I be doing here and where is a good place to purchase supplies online?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Crocoduck posted:

Mine are fully leafed out already. I don't know what region you live in, it might be totally normal for you. One quick test is to find a twig and scrape the bark with the edge of your nail. If you expose green cambium the tree is still alive and you have nothing to worry about. Brown wood and it is most likely dead.

I did the scratch test and found green so that's good news! I'm in DC (zone 7a I believe). Assuming the tree is fine I'm still curious why it's taking so much longer to leaf than other trees in the area... Guessing being in a small pot makes it more susceptible to low temperatures?

Anyhow I'll just be glad if it survives, I don't want to kill another bonsai!

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

So, I've had the bonsai that I posted a few pages back for a few years now and I'm looking to try out some techniques that I've never done before. I figure I need to change the pot, trim the roots, wire the branches, and try and get the leaves to grow in smaller. What should I be doing here and where is a good place to purchase supplies online?

1) Don't do all of that poo poo at once unless it's a ficus. Buy more trees and one insult per season.

2) Jim Gremel makes good wire, I just bought some from him. Soil, any old folks. Ebay works even. Pots can cost as much as you want. I've seen Krisovensky's pots go for over $1k (TOTALLY worth it though, holy loving poo poo) and I've also gotten great deals on Horst pots (even less than $100!!!!!!!).

Dunno what sort of tree you have or where you live, so can't really give specific advice.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

kedo posted:

I did the scratch test and found green so that's good news! I'm in DC (zone 7a I believe). Assuming the tree is fine I'm still curious why it's taking so much longer to leaf than other trees in the area... Guessing being in a small pot makes it more susceptible to low temperatures?

Anyhow I'll just be glad if it survives, I don't want to kill another bonsai!

Weird! Sometimes trees just get a little scared of the winter; we had a weird one. Keep it moist, mist it a few times a day. Should be alright, tridents are hardy motherfuckers.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Crocoduck posted:

1) Don't do all of that poo poo at once unless it's a ficus. Buy more trees and one insult per season.

2) Jim Gremel makes good wire, I just bought some from him. Soil, any old folks. Ebay works even. Pots can cost as much as you want. I've seen Krisovensky's pots go for over $1k (TOTALLY worth it though, holy loving poo poo) and I've also gotten great deals on Horst pots (even less than $100!!!!!!!).

Dunno what sort of tree you have or where you live, so can't really give specific advice.

It's the ficus I posted a few pages back. You'd said it wouldn't become a great tree since it's one of those mass-produced onion shaped guys. I figured I'd learn how to do various techniques with it before getting another tree. I've been good at keeping it alive so far, so that step is complete. Now I'm looking to learn how to shape, trim, and repot. I live in Connecticut, so the tree will be going outside for a few months soon.

For my second tree, I have my eye on a desert rose and another ficus from Weigert's.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Anything that someone like me living up north can have other than ficus? Stuff has to go inside in the winter there is just no way around it if you don't have a yard. I have a citrus tree that I planted from a seed that is probably 7-8 years old and doing ok, but it's not really suited to be a bonsai.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

It's the ficus I posted a few pages back. You'd said it wouldn't become a great tree since it's one of those mass-produced onion shaped guys. I figured I'd learn how to do various techniques with it before getting another tree. I've been good at keeping it alive so far, so that step is complete. Now I'm looking to learn how to shape, trim, and repot. I live in Connecticut, so the tree will be going outside for a few months soon.

For my second tree, I have my eye on a desert rose and another ficus from Weigert's.

Ah. Well, look, it is possible to develop good ficus bonsai up here. It's just more difficult and more involved than most other forms of bonsai. In terms of trimming, trim back every branch you want to split, let grow any branch you want to thicken. Leave three leaves on every woody stem. Transplant into a new, shallower pot, use a chopstick to remove any thick organic yucky soil. If it looks like something you might have shat out, brush it away. Let it grow in the shade for two weeks after this. Make sure you wired it into the new pot, using copper wire. Not aluminum. Wire it tight, but not too tight.

Second tree gently caress that noise. Buy a juniper, San Jose, from Nature's Way Nursery. Come take a lesson with me in PA :D

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

Anything that someone like me living up north can have other than ficus? Stuff has to go inside in the winter there is just no way around it if you don't have a yard. I have a citrus tree that I planted from a seed that is probably 7-8 years old and doing ok, but it's not really suited to be a bonsai.

How far north are you? What do you have available for you to grow in?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Crocoduck posted:

How far north are you? What do you have available for you to grow in?

Quebec city - Canada.

Well I have pots! haha I'm not sure what you're asking. I put my plants/trees outside during the summer (may or june) and get them back in when it's starting to get cold (september usually)

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
I mean, do you have a garage you could put more cold tolerant trees in?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Crocoduck posted:

I mean, do you have a garage you could put more cold tolerant trees in?

I only have access to a small shed that has little to no insulation. It would stop the wind, but that's pretty much it.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

I only have access to a small shed that has little to no insulation. It would stop the wind, but that's pretty much it.

That's fine, wind is the main killer in winter. Lotsa pine, spruce, juniper, etc. you can keep. Gets to be -30F in the areas where RMJ grow. Protect them from the wind, they should be fine. You won't be able to develop real trees where you are, with tropicals. They wind up just being a distraction during the long winters. Fine. Grow some real trees though. Protect them in the shed. Maybe stay away from maples and such, but they are so drat pretty.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Repotted my big white pine. Now to carve the branches into jin.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Crocoduck posted:

That's fine, wind is the main killer in winter. Lotsa pine, spruce, juniper, etc. you can keep. Gets to be -30F in the areas where RMJ grow. Protect them from the wind, they should be fine. You won't be able to develop real trees where you are, with tropicals. They wind up just being a distraction during the long winters. Fine. Grow some real trees though. Protect them in the shed. Maybe stay away from maples and such, but they are so drat pretty.

Cool I'll try that.

Any suggestion for something easy that can look nice in time? I'll try to make something survive the winter.

Do you think I should put the base in a styrofoam box or something to give them extra protection/simulate snow coverage?

PS that tree is ridiculous. How big is that thing?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 18, 2015

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Crocoduck posted:

Repotted my big white pine. Now to carve the branches into jin.

drat if that ain't pretty sexy. :getin:

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

Cool I'll try that.

Any suggestion for something easy that can look nice in time? I'll try to make something survive the winter.

Do you think I should put the base in a styrofoam box or something to give them extra protection/simulate snow coverage?

PS that tree is ridiculous. How big is that thing?

It's loving gigantic. It is literally the largest tree I can possibly own because it is so drat big that it can't even fit in my buddy's SUV without some creativity.

Conifers are great for instant styling and fast results. I'd go out and buy a few different types, maybe a spruce, cypress, mugo pine (although these are tricky) and some junipers at your local nursery. See what does well. Frost protection is all about 1) protecting the roots and 2) protecting the branches from wind. A styrofoam box would be great, especially if you can sink it into some leaf litter or the soil itself.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Mr. Soop posted:

drat if that ain't pretty sexy. :getin:

Thanks man! I got a few trees from the Kennett Collection sale, this was one of them :3

Probably the biggest tree I can lift by myself without damaging my back.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Crocoduck posted:

Frost protection is all about 1) protecting the roots and 2) protecting the branches from wind. A styrofoam box would be great, especially if you can sink it into some leaf litter or the soil itself.

I'm curious about wintering again because I'm pretty sure my maple is either in the process of slowly dying, or is just super unhappy in general. I had three perennials out on my balcony over the winter (the maple, a grape vine and a blueberry plant), and none of them are doing very well. The maple is in a small bonsai pot that I put in an old wine crate and buried in mulch over the winter. The trunk and branches were still in the open air, however, which is concerning to me considering point 2 above.

It's had these little buds for about a month now, but they refuse to open. I'm hoping they will eventually, but it feels kind of late in the season.

I now have three oaks and another maple that have germinated and am worried I'm going to lose them all come winter. I live in a highrise so I don't have the ability to put them in a garage or anything like that. Would styrofoam boxes with a bunch of organic crap be better than what I did last year?

e: And if so a follow-up question, where would one obtain said styrofoam boxes?

kedo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 19, 2015

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

kedo posted:

I'm curious about wintering again because I'm pretty sure my maple is either in the process of slowly dying, or is just super unhappy in general. I had three perennials out on my balcony over the winter (the maple, a grape vine and a blueberry plant), and none of them are doing very well. The maple is in a small bonsai pot that I put in an old wine crate and buried in mulch over the winter. The trunk and branches were still in the open air, however, which is concerning to me considering point 2 above.

Looks s'ok to me.

[quoteI now have three oaks and another maple that have germinated and am worried I'm going to lose them all come winter. I live in a highrise so I don't have the ability to put them in a garage or anything like that. Would styrofoam boxes with a bunch of organic crap be better than what I did last year?

[/quote]

Uhh, yeah worth a shot? I dunno, I just try to insulate and isolate from wind...

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

kedo posted:

It's had these little buds for about a month now, but they refuse to open. I'm hoping they will eventually, but it feels kind of late in the season.

I now have three oaks and another maple that have germinated and am worried I'm going to lose them all come winter. I live in a highrise so I don't have the ability to put them in a garage or anything like that. Would styrofoam boxes with a bunch of organic crap be better than what I did last year?

If you can get styrofoam panels then you can make your own with tape. Some are also sold to keep beer cold but that's probably expensive. My plan is to make my own and then fill it with packing peanuts or something.

Now I just need to find myself a nice juniper!

Any species of juniper I should go for? I'm gonna buy there so you can see what they have :
http://www.gerardbourbeau.com/pepiniere/pepiniere.php?cat=6

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 20, 2015

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

If you can get styrofoam panels then you can make your own with tape. Some are also sold to keep beer cold but that's probably expensive. My plan is to make my own and then fill it with packing peanuts or something.

Now I just need to find myself a nice juniper!

Any species of juniper I should go for? I'm gonna buy there so you can see what they have :
http://www.gerardbourbeau.com/pepiniere/pepiniere.php?cat=6

I like San Jose a lot myself, easy to work with, durable little suckers, but their needles are prickly and after working on them for a while I'll sometimes have a rash.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Does anyone know a good website for general bonsai how-to articles?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Crocoduck posted:

I like San Jose a lot myself, easy to work with, durable little suckers, but their needles are prickly and after working on them for a while I'll sometimes have a rash.

Cool thanks.

Would a chinese elm do ok if it's inside during the winters? I think they look awesome and they seem pretty easy. I'm thorn between then and a juniper

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

Does anyone know a good website for general bonsai how-to articles?

Bonsai4me.com and evergreengardenworks.com are the best places for general articles. Pay close attention to bonsai4me's articles on individual tree development. Nothing teaches you bonsai like looking at progressions.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

Cool thanks.

Would a chinese elm do ok if it's inside during the winters? I think they look awesome and they seem pretty easy. I'm thorn between then and a juniper

Would be better if you could put them in the garage, but it depends on where they're from. Lot of the mallsai sent in from China are grown in tropical climates and can't even handle moderate winters. Buy both. More bonsai is the best bonsai.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I was going to post about my recent tree woes, despite all your great advice about defence against slugs, cats and other menances, but today events kind of took over...

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I own a bonsai. Recently the bonsai suddenly went all brown and wilted while I was working during the day away from home ... I thought this was weird since it was fine on Monday and death like by Friday, and importantly I was still watering/maintaining it in the evenings, but figured it might just be one of those things... Today I get up, open the curtains and find someone had shoved a large (3ft?) metal pole into the bonsai.

The neighbours kids are horrible and always tresspassing in my back yard....

So bonsai chums... ever had to sue someone over a bonsai?

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I was going to post about my recent tree woes, despite all your great advice about defence against slugs, cats and other menances, but today events kind of took over...

So bonsai chums... ever had to sue someone over a bonsai?

That's the kind of thing that prompts stabbings in my experience. I know of several bonsai appraisers - if it's a substantial piece I can put you in contact with them.

I just got my first two person tree.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a lemon seedling that I'm going to move into a bigger pot pretty soon, am I correct in assuming a deciduous potting blend would be fine? I've done a bit of Googling around and have a couple of recipes that I could use, but I don't really have the space to store excess soil/rocks/etc.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Crocoduck posted:

That's the kind of thing that prompts stabbings in my experience. I know of several bonsai appraisers - if it's a substantial piece I can put you in contact with them.

Before the second half of the picture loaded, I thought that was planted in the landscape. Awesome pine - looks like P. nigra, maybe? If you don't mind sharing, how much did it set you back?

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

unprofessional posted:

Before the second half of the picture loaded, I thought that was planted in the landscape. Awesome pine - looks like P. nigra, maybe? If you don't mind sharing, how much did it set you back?

Nope, it's a P. parvifloria, but a dwarf variety. It's about 40 years old, grown from a cutting. It set me back $750, but I'm starting to buy bonsai to sell. I'm thinking that when I wire it up it will be for sale at ~$1500 without the pot.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
It looks great. Are you a part of the bonsai auction group on Facebook? Seems like lots of people with deep pockets on it.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

unprofessional posted:

It looks great. Are you a part of the bonsai auction group on Facebook? Seems like lots of people with deep pockets on it.

Eh, I'm part of it, but thus far have only used it to purchase trees. I'm working with a nursery these days, and I figure for every tree I sell, I'll also sell a lesson, some wire, some soil, some tools and a pot within the next year, so it makes sense to try and keep it local I guess. I don't know.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Question for you: do you happen to know anybody in the US with a chichi from a gingko? I would like to graft a shoot from one onto normal rootstock and see if it produces chichis at a younger age, the way grafted shoots from older trees will produce cones/seed at a younger age. None of the species types in the US are old enough to have them yet, aside from the dwarf cultivar named 'Chi Chi', and I want a full size tree with them. I know I've seen one or two for sale in the bonsai community, so obviously somebody's importing them.

Pics of phenomenon here, for those interested: http://kwanten.home.xs4all.nl/bonsai.htm

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

unprofessional posted:

Question for you: do you happen to know anybody in the US with a chichi from a gingko? I would like to graft a shoot from one onto normal rootstock and see if it produces chichis at a younger age, the way grafted shoots from older trees will produce cones/seed at a younger age. None of the species types in the US are old enough to have them yet, aside from the dwarf cultivar named 'Chi Chi', and I want a full size tree with them. I know I've seen one or two for sale in the bonsai community, so obviously somebody's importing them.

Pics of phenomenon here, for those interested: http://kwanten.home.xs4all.nl/bonsai.htm

No idea man, to be honest I've never even messed around with gingko. Definitely an advanced practitioner's tree and I'm having trouble with some of the easier ones.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

It's nothing fancy, just sentimental attachment (it was a present from family). It annoys me above and beyond because the tree was really good looking and could've been something really great in a few years. I'm half torn between thinking its destructed state is depressing and that its good looking enough it would make a good art project.

Their landlord completely went off the deep end though, so that's good, and have agreed now we can erect massive fencing to keep them out and renegotiatied our shared insurance with a substantial discount.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Rolled Cabbage posted:

It's nothing fancy, just sentimental attachment (it was a present from family). It annoys me above and beyond because the tree was really good looking and could've been something really great in a few years. I'm half torn between thinking its destructed state is depressing and that its good looking enough it would make a good art project.

Their landlord completely went off the deep end though, so that's good, and have agreed now we can erect massive fencing to keep them out and renegotiatied our shared insurance with a substantial discount.

I've had quite a few very nice trees die. It's always rough, but remember, they are just plants.

Here is one of my mistakes. Despite the nice azalea, notice the nutrient deficiency? It will survive, but I missed my opportunity for nice flowers this year.

Every tree is a lesson...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
BONSAI ARE THE poo poo Y'ALL MOTHERFUCKERS DON'T KNOW DICK