Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Right, now for the rest of the stuff I need to cover.

Limits

First off, we have Aladdin with his Speedster limit, equipped using Trick Fantasy.

When it starts, Sora and Aladdin do some sword moves while the screen fades to black, hiding any potentially interesting animations. :V But also to show off how fast these attacks are. All the enemies get damaged, and drop orbs. After that, both attack and your reaction command become Quickplay. Obviously, as normal, Reaction Commands control Aladdin, while the attack controls Sora, but they both do the same thing; their respective character fly to an enemy and hit them, causing them to drop orbs. It's possible that the orbs are random, but they could also be based on which attack is done. As far as I can tell, though, the opening tends to drop health orbs, while Quickplay does health and MP orbs.

The finale is Trickster, which is essentially the same sort of thing as the opening move, just slightly more hits to everything, and this time they drop all sorts of orbs; Drive, Munny, MP... This is considered one of the decent ways to try leveling up Master Form.

Then, even though we got this before Aladdin, Donald has his second Limit, Duck Flare. Its ability is Flare Force.

It opens with spawning a bunch of rockets that aim at enemies nearby, while Donald jumps onto Sora's shoulders. After this, Duck Flare is like Comet; Sora can run around and hit things while mixing in Donald's Reaction Commands. Each use of Rocket Flare sends more rockets at each enemy, doing little damage individually but helping stunlock them for Sora to hit them. It's fairly useful as a Limit, though again the damage primarily comes from Sora.

Its finisher, Megaduck Flare, is probably the only really damaging part of the move, and that's because Donald spawns dozens and dozens of rockets that fly at enemies. All that little damage adds up a lot, then, particularly if there's only one enemy for them to target.

Summons

Finally! The last summon, and the only offensive one. The one, the only GENIE OF THE LAMP!

Genie is far better in this game than he ever was in KH1. Like every other summon, he can heal you when you get hurt. Unlike every other summon, he does literally nothing else while he's out... except for his Limit. Unlike the other summons, Genie is designed to use limits to just deal tons of damage. The best part is, he has multiple Limits, because Genie mimics your Drive Forms! The Party command is replaced with the 'Drive?' command, from which you can select from your Drives (except Limit) to change Genie's appearance.

The limits we currently have available from him are Sonic, Strike, and Arcana. That's right, just like Limit Form, Genie's stuff is named Sora's four special moves from KH1!

His Valor Form Limit, Sonic is probably the most entertaining, for me, and does the best single-target damage. Genie turns into a fist and just kind of puts himself on the end of your Keyblade, and each use of the Reaction Command swipes at an enemy in a combo, culminating in Rave, where Genie gets flung out and flies through the target.

Strike is his Wisdom Form Limit, and it works by Genie shootings lots of magic bullets at enemies. The finisher there, Judgment, has Sora swinging Genie around in a small circle, while Genie continues blasting enemies.

Arcana is his Master Form Limit, and starts with Genie swinging Sora around like a weapon against enemies. After using Arcana a few times, the finisher becomes Bash, where Genie and Sora essentially turn into a turret that blasts any enemy around.

There is one more Form, and therefore one more Genie Limit, but we'll leave it until we get to that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

God drat it Arcturus, learn to use magic, or at least unequip all of those combo pluses. One of the two.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!

gatesealer posted:

God drat it Arcturus, learn to use magic, or at least unequip all of those combo pluses. One of the two.

CAN'T...TAKE...OFF...COMBO...PLUSES!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is it some sort of self handicap?

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

gatesealer posted:

Arcturus will NEVER learn. This is our hell now.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Prythian posted:

Arcturus will NEVER learn. This is our hell now.

you have my pity.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

New Update Time!

New Episode (Uncut)
Episode 029 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: The Gift-napper Strikes!"

New Episode
Episode 029 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: The Gift-napper Strikes!"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Characters

The Experiment

You might have noticed this guy on Finklestein's worktable during your first visit. It's a puppet for Lock, Shock and Barrel to order around apparently. During the battle you will notice the reaction command "Kickspring". DON'T FORGET TO USE IT!
VA: None

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

New Update Time!

New Episode (Uncut)
Episode 030 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Don't Mess With Street Rats"

New Episode
Episode 030 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Don't Mess With Street Rats"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Heartless

Bulky Vendor

These bubblegum ball machines, otherwise known as gachapons by some people, are very unique Heartless. They don't do any damage and as soon they appear (which will happen as soon as you destroy a destructible in the area) their health immediately begins draining. The point of these Heartless is their Reaction Command.
Reaction Command: 1. Capsule Prize - Sora cranks a prize out of a Bulky Vendor. (works with 100-75% enemy HP left). 2. Rare Capsule - Sora cranks a normal item out of a Bulky Vendor. (works with 74-50% enemy HP left). 3. Limited Capsule - Sora cranks a rare item out of a Bulky Vendor. (works with 49-25% enemy HP left). 4. Prime Capsule - Sora cranks out a very rare item out of a Bulky Vendor. (works with 24-1% enemy HP left).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

All right so those gachapon things are kinda like the Magic Pot enemies from Final Fantasy? Give 'em an Elixir and they give you a prize.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Silver Falcon posted:

All right so those gachapon things are kinda like the Magic Pot enemies from Final Fantasy? Give 'em an Elixir and they give you a prize.

Exactly, except with less giving them items. (Definitely glad about that; I remember how many items I had to use on the Grand Ghost and the flowers in KH1FM, and it bothered the hell out of me. Felt like such a waste.) As their health goes down, they get more mobile. On their last bar of health, they do nothing but decently long jumps all over the place, making it an exercise in frustration to catch them. While all of their prizes give some amount of orbs, it's not really their main point. The main point is the items.

Capsule Prize gives you a Serenity Shard, and each reaction command up gives you the next step up in materials. Each Capsule ALSO has a chance of dropping Orichalcum, going higher the harder the command is to get. (There's conflicting information out there on what the chances are, but I feel confident in saying even the highest is under 20%.) In the original KH2, instead of Serenity materials, they gave you Bright Materials.

Gotta get those gachapons!

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey there everyone just thought I would let you know that I'm gonna play some Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. You are welcome to come check it out at

https://www.hitbox.tv/gmarcturus

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Streaming some Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic with Rhiodise. Shenaningans shall ensue!

http://www.hitbox.tv/GrandmasterArcturusSA

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

New Update Time!

New Episode (Uncut)
Episode 031 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Hakuna Matata"

New Episode
Episode 031 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Hakuna Matata"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Characters

Cub Simba

This is Simba when he was a cub. He unfortunately doesn't get any new voiced lines which makes sense because Jonathan Taylor Thomas probably doesn't sound anywhere near like he did when The Lion King was first made.
VA: Jonathan Taylor Thomas (via archived audio)

Mufasa

This is Simba's father and the previous king of Pride Rock. He is obviously still the same caring leader he was in the movie.
VA: James Earl Jones (via archived audio)

Scar

This is Mufasa's brother who steals the throne from him when he commits regicide and overthrows him. Scar is one evil lion.
VA: James Horan

Timon

The wise-cracking meerkat that becomes one of Simba's best friends after he runs away from Pride Rock as a cub.
VA: James Arnold Taylor

Pumbaa

The warthog with a heart of gold. This is the other best friend Simba meets in the wildlands.
VA: Ernie Sabella

Lion Sora

This is Sora's appearance as a lion for the Pride Lands. In this form he regrettably does not have access to his drive forms, so your big damage dealing attacks are limited to, well, your limits.
VA: Haley Joel Osment

Bird Donald

This is Donald's form for the Pride Lands. As you may notice he looks suspiciously like Zazu. This is because S-E thought Zazu's role was so minor that instead of creating another character model they decided to just give Donald a very Zazu-looking model for the Pride Lands.
VA: Tony Anselmo

Tortoise Goofy

This is Goofy's appearance for the Pride Lands. He was a turtle in Atlantica, so I suppose making him a tortoise makes some kind of sense.
VA: Bill Farmer

Banzai

One of the three named hyenas that serve under Scar. He serves as the unofficial leader of their three character group.
VA: Cheech Marin

Shenzi

The second of the three named hyenas. Her personality is the same as in the movie but, alas, she is not voice by Whoopi Goldberg.
VA: Tress MacNeille

Ed

The last, but certainly not least, member of the three named hyenas. He laughs just as much as he does in the movie. My personal favorite of the three.
VA: Jim Cummings

Nala

Simba's childhood best friend from Pride Rock. She is also his eventual wife and queen and she gives birth to their child Kiara.
VA: Vanessa Marshall

Rafiki

The wise mystic that serves as an advisor to both Simba and his father before him. This baboon is also evidently a master of several martial arts styles.
VA: Robert Guillaume

New Heartless

Living Bone

This Heartless can be somewhat dangerous on its own and it just becomes even more so when a Shaman is riding on its back. Using its two reaction commands against it quickly negates that danger though. Keep in mind that you can only use those two reaction commands in the Pride Lands, though.
Reaction Commands: 1. Rodeo - Sora rides on a Living Bone's back, creating shock waves. 2. Grand Cross - After Rodeo, Sora flips the Living Bone he is riding and rams it into the ground, headfirst, smashing its head.

Shaman

This Heartless is only really a pain if it is riding on the back of a Living Bone otherwise it's more annoying than dangerous. It has also has a reaction command that can make encounters with them trivial. Keep in mind that you can only use this reaction command in the Pride Lands.
Reaction Command: Dispel - The command appears when a series of blue flames attack and encircle Sora. Dispel allows Sora to use them against his enemies.

Aerial Knocker

This Heartless is very much a pushover. It has next to no HP and even has a reaction command to make him even easier to deal with.
Reaction Command: Rapid Blow - Sora rushes in and attacks multiple times.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

ah yes, the oddest experience I had with this game. I was really confused the first time I went to the pride lands and then started having a blast.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I reiterate: The Pridelands are great.

Also, I liked Starfox Adeventures. :colbert: Fight me.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Silver Falcon posted:

I reiterate: The Pridelands are great.

Also, I liked Starfox Adeventures. :colbert: Fight me.

I won't fight you because I also liked it. But I have a feeling a mob is going to murder both of us now.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Saying you like a game is not bad. Saying you think the game is better than another warrants the mob.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

New Update Time!

New Episode (Uncut)
Episode 032 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: The Circle of Life"

New Episode
Episode 032 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: The Circle of Life"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Characters

Kiara

Kiara isn't actually showcased until the end of the game during the credits. I just wanted to post her here because technically she should have been because S,D,G leave the Pridelands when the ceremony after Kiara was born would actually take place in the movie. Her actual only noteworthy attribute in this game is that she is Simba and Nala's daughter.
VA: None

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Can ya'll stop making GBS threads on Arcturus so much? It feels like it's half of the total commentary and it's pretty lovely. And not particularly deserved.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Black Balloon posted:

Can ya'll stop making GBS threads on Arcturus so much? It feels like it's half of the total commentary and it's pretty lovely. And not particularly deserved.

I can certainly try! Part of the problem is that it started when Arcturus, well, mostly deserved it and we were all exhausted from a long recording session, so now we're more inclined to be critical. I'm going to try to stick to my whole thing of being the informative one a little more closely, if I can, and that'll shut down most of it from me. I can't say anything about the others, of course. Also it's spelled y'all. I will fight you. :colbert:

Anyways, while I'm not covering Simba's Limit today for reasons stated in the video, there is something I need to talk about, and have been neglecting.

Physical Combos

So, I started out posting only about magic for these games because I thought it was, well, unappreciated. I was told recently that it almost seemed like I didn't think physical attacks were worth anything. This is the opposite of true. The way I play these games is to try and use every option available to you. (The fact that it's not effective to do this in a later game or two is actually why I have complaints about those games.) The truth is, combos are your bread and butter for the game. You base everything else in your fighting style on mixing things into your regular attacks, nothing more. And the game is built specifically for that. The Growth abilities are designed to help you get into and out of different situations in combat, half of the benefit of any given form is the way it changes your attacks, and you have tons of options for customizing what your attacks are.

Sora starts out with a basic three-hit combo, with the third hit counting as a finishing blow to bosses. However, the number of moves in your combo can go up to five using the Combo Plus and Air Combo Plus abilities, and that's only in default form. While a Lion, Sora gets two more attacks onto each combo from what you currently have. Valor Form gets one more to each combo, and Master Form has two extra attacks to its air combo. In addition to that, equipping the two Finishing Plus abilities (one from Critical mode, and one from normal gameplay) adds another extra two moves. And aside from that, Star Seeker has Air Combo Plus and Sleeping Lion has Combo Plus as equipment abilities. That's a potential total of ten(!!!) attacks in your physical combo! Not only that, but you can also lower your combo. With Negative Plus both from leveling up and from a later Keyblade, you can get your combo down to one hit.

So, you've got a 1-10 range on your attack chains, or 1-8 if we're only talking default form. How do you set it up? Well, that's also where you get several options. You get quite a few different abilities that change your basic attacks, and some that change your finishers. In addition to that, you get abilities you activate with the Square button in the middle of a combo, replacing your next attack with something else, or that can be used at the end of your combo to replace your finisher. So there are a few questions you need to ask yourself when setting up your abilities.

What length do I want my combos?
Remember, Air Combo Plus and Combo Plus are two different abilities. You can set them up to different lengths if you want. I, for example, prefer to keep my ground combo shorter than my air combo, because the air combo is better at keeping enemies from doing anything. Also, keep in mind that Finishing Plus moves add onto your combo, instead of replacing non-finisher moves near the end of it. In addition to that, one of the reasons you may want a longer combo is because of Combo Boost and Air Combo Boost. These abilities can greatly increase the damage a combo finisher does, based on how long the combo is.

How do I want to do normal attacks?
Personally, I tend to throw every attack-changing ability on, because your attack only changes if the conditions are right, and the game's good at detecting that. However, some people may not like one of the attacks and want to turn it off to keep with something else. The abilities that change your normal attacks are Slapshot, Dodge Slash, Flash Step, Sliding Dash, Round Break, Aerial Spiral, Aerial Dive, and Aerial Sweep. Again, these tend to replace your normal attacks to each different attack based on the number of enemies around and who you're targeting and their distance from you.

What finishers do I want, and how many?
There are four abilities that can replace your finisher; two for the ground, two for the air. Explosion and Guard Break are the ground finishers. Guard Break is a very powerful single-target move that breaks through, well, guards, and Explosion creates orbs of light that circle around you and knock enemies away, doing large amounts of damage. The air finishers are Magnet Splash and Aerial Finish. Magnet Splash gathers any enemy nearby to you before sending them flying away, while Aerial Finish is a powerful three-hit attack with the Keyblade, creating lines of light around Sora. It's important to note that the way Finishing Plus abilities work is that they add on the other finisher, alternating between. So if you have one equipped, you will go from one finisher to the other finisher. If you have both, then you'll go one-other-first one. Explosion, Guard Break, Explosion. Aerial Finish, Magnet Splash, Aerial Finish. That sort of thing.

What tactical moves do I want to have access to?
The Square button moves all have specific uses, but they're invaluable in their specific situation. Upper Slash allows you to knock an enemy from the ground into the air. Horizontal Slash is a very fast aerial move. Finishing Leap is a guard-piercing finisher. And then there's Retaliating Slash, which I've always referred to and thought of as Aerial Counter, since it's just an attacking version of Aerial Recovery. This one is particularly useful, as every time you get knocked into the air or knocked away through the air... or basically any time you get hit and the air's involved somehow, you can immediately go from being stunned to flipping and attacking the enemy that hit you.

How easily can I finish bosses?
This was actually given an example during Arcturus's fight with the Volcano Lord. His combo was long, and the Heartless moved around so much, that he couldn't finish his combo to land a finishing blow. There are four things that can count as finishing blows in this game: Combo finishers, Square-button moves, magic, and Reaction Commands. If your combo is too long, you can easily go through the health on some bosses, but you'll have difficulty landing the final blow. If you have a really short combo, you can easily land a final blow, but you won't do much damage because you'll have a wait period between each combo, where the boss can either get away from you or hurt you significantly. Square-button moves like Horizontal or Upper Slash are great for this, as is just using magic, but you don't always think of those options or are in a position where you can use them, so the length of your combo and how many finishers it has at the end are important.

Now, when I said that the Growth Abilities are designed to allow you to get in and out of combat quickly, I meant it. Quick Run lets you zip in and out of ground combat swiftly. Aerial Dodge lets you do the same for air combat. High Jump and Dodge Roll have more niche uses in combat; High Jump obviously lets you reach enemies you otherwise couldn't, or places you couldn't that are tactically better, while Dodge Roll is, well, Dodge Roll, letting you avoid attacks.

I will say that while I like to have a moderate amount of combo during the game, at endgame gameplay my preferred playstyle is to Negative Combo myself down to a 1-hit combo, and then use both Finishing Plus abilities, allowing Sora to have a three-hit combo of nothing but finishers. It's not really the most practical, because all of the attack-changing abilities no longer apply. Combo Boost abilities are useless, and it somewhat limits how Square moves work... but it's definitely fun to do and watch, just because all finishers all the time. While no one needs to puts this much thought into physical combos except for possibly challenge-and-speedrunners, it can definitely be a good thing to find the set-up that works for how you play the game.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

Prythian posted:

How easily can I finish bosses?
This was actually given an example during Arcturus's fight with the Volcano Lord. His combo was long, and the Heartless moved around so much, that he couldn't finish his combo to land a finishing blow. There are four things that can count as finishing blows in this game: Combo finishers, Square-button moves, magic, and Reaction Commands. If your combo is too long, you can easily go through the health on some bosses, but you'll have difficulty landing the final blow. If you have a really short combo, you can easily land a final blow, but you won't do much damage because you'll have a wait period between each combo, where the boss can either get away from you or hurt you significantly. Square-button moves like Horizontal or Upper Slash are great for this, as is just using magic, but you don't always think of those options or are in a position where you can use them, so the length of your combo and how many finishers it has at the end are important.

I distinctly remember not being able to defeat a future boss with a square move (the air one to precise) under the effects of Berserk, but that might be a quirk of Berserk, or faulty memory (it was some time ago).

MatteusTheCorrupt fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 24, 2015

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

I distinctly remember not being able to defeat a future boss with a square move (the air one to precise) under the effects of Berserk, but that might be a quirk of Berserk, or faulty memory (it was some time ago).

I'm almost entirely positive that Horizontal Slash is supposed to be able to finish bosses. Maybe it does interact with Berserk Charge in some odd way. I'd have to find the right boss to test in on to figure out whether or not it's not a finisher during Berserk. Everything I can find online though says it counts as a finisher.

That being said, Horizontal Slash + Berserk is a very potent combination. While Horizontal Slash does less damage that Sora's average hits, it is extremely fast to combo into, and especially so with itself. With Berserk Charge active, and Horizontal Slash available, just leap at an enemy, hit them with a regular attack, then Square-Square-Square.

Edit: Not only does everything online says Horizontal Slash is a finisher, the wiki page on Berserk Charge explicitly points out Upper and Horizontal Slash as available finishers during Berserk Charge.

Prythian fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 24, 2015

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013

Black Balloon posted:

How could you possibly in insinuate that anyone here was running a never-ending Arcturus joke and furthermore...

Seriously though, I understand that complaint and apologies for extending the joke far past it's natural end point. Mostly it was just bafflement at things but I gotta figure at some point it affects Arcturus as well, so I was really planning on cutting back anyway. All told Arcturus is good at this game generally, he just makes very strange decisions and/or decisions that he couldn't have known weren't the best because of lack of information.

So I guess that long rambling paragraph boils down to: Arcturus season is over, now it's rabbit season. :v:

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Black Balloon posted:

I honestly don't care what they do during commentary. Half the time I laugh it off anyway and the other half it is deserved because I will readily admit I have made stupid mistakes during recording.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Looks like this update was a day late. Sorry about that.

New Episode (Uncut)
Episode 033 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: The Unconfident King"

New Episode
Episode 033 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: The Unconfident King"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Heartless

Groundshaker

This Heartless is basically just an oversized Shaman riding an oversized Living Bone, granted you will need new tactics to defeat them. Specifically because you are only allowed to have Simba as a party member and Groundshaker has some interesting reaction commands.
Reaction Commands: 1. Fend - Sora prevents the Groundshaker's massive foot from crushing him. Also, this reaction command tends to end with the Groundshaker laying on the ground stunned sometimes. Use this opportunity to bust out the Wildcat limit. 2. Jump - Sora leaps onto the Groundshaker's back. After getting on the Groundshaker's back you will want to use that opportunity to bust out another Wildcat.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Here is the newest update!

New Episode (Uncut)
Episode 034 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Yet Another Organization 13 Member"

New Episode
Episode 034 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Yet Another Organization 13 Member"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Characters

Xigbar

Xigbar is another Organization XIII member and he is also one of the more funny members of the group. His group of Nobodies are called Snipers.
VA: James Patrick Stuart

New Heartless

Storm Rider

Storm Rider is the boss for this visit to Land of Dragons and he is honestly just as much of a joke of a boss here as he was in the vanilla version of Kingdom Hearts 2. Using his reaction commands correctly just takes away any challenge this boss poses.
Reaction Commands: 1. Slide - When the Storm Rider dives in towards the party, Sora slides underneath it to dodge the attack. 2. Vertigo Toss - After Sora has successfully performed the Slide Reaction Command, he strikes the Storm Rider with his Keyblade to toss it high into the sky and fall to the ground, rendering it temporarily unconscious and vulnerable to attacks. 3. Hang On - Immediately at the start of the battle, and anytime Sora is on top of the Storm Rider, he can cling onto one of the spikes protruding from its back to avoid falling to the ground. 4. Get Off - After using the Hang On reaction command, the Storm Rider may either twist around again or execute a lightning attack. "Get Off" is used to avoid the lightning attack.

New Nobodies

Sniper

The Sniper Nobody is easily the least difficult Nobody to defeat, as long as you are paying attention that is. It's reaction command, Warp Snipe, will either one shot the Sniper or at the very least do considerable damage to it.
Reaction Command: Warp Snipe - Sora warps in front of an arrowgun bullet and deflects it back at the shooter. Can be used multiple times in succession.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh, I forgot. Because it came up last video, I went and looked it up. The cub at the end of The Lion king is named Kopa, and he's featured in a spin-off series of children's books entitled "The Lion King: Six New Adventures," which features the backstory of Scar and Mufasa, among other things.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

ah the sniper nobodies. I don't really know why but they were always my favorite of the nobody enemies.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Alright, so, I've got two limits and technically a form to cover!

Limits

First we'll cover Goofy's new limit, since that's the last of the limits from the main party members. We just got Whirli-Goof, equipped with Tornado Fusion.

Much like Knocksmash, Whirli-Goof is a REALLY SIMPLE Limit, where it doesn't matter whether you're pressing the reaction command or the attack command. It starts out with Goofy and Sora, well, grabbing each other and spinning like a horizontal disc. It hurts any enemy it touches for small damage but, as usual, it adds up since it hits multiple times. Whirli-Goofra, the next command, is that except that Sora and Goofy go up and down a bit, like they're doing a small hop while spinning. Honestly, neither of these are really impressive.

No, it's the FINALE where Whirli-Goof becomes one of the best limits in the game. Whirli-Goofga has Sora and Goofy essentially turn into a wheel. Where they go is fully controllable, and anything that touches them will get DESTROYED. Whirli-Goofga against bosses is, like Knocksmash, something that does massive amounts of damage simply because it hits decently and hits OFTEN. We're talking at least two, if not three, hits per second.

Then there's Simba's Limit, Wildcat, equipped with King's Pride. (Sometimes I think that the intended name of the limits was always the names of the abilities, and it was just because the first move is what you select from the list that everyone calls them by their current names.)

It opens up with Simba and Sora jumping to create a large shockwave and boulders all around them to damage enemies while knocking them up in the air. Then, Sora and Simba start using X-Claw and High Fang. X-Claw is a 360 degree spinning attack, and High Fang is when they shoot straight towards an enemy. This limit is primarily about small bits of damage but lots and lots of hits. It's not a hammer so much as a grinder, which is evident when you see how it works against the Groundshaker; his health just goes down quickly, as if it's being drained rather than taking damage.

The Finale is, of course, Proud Roar. Until Beast's Limit, Proud Roar hits for lots of small damage (as is keeping with the general theme of the limit) before doing a powerful hit at the very end.

As a side note, Simba's Limit is honestly kind of mediocre in my opinion, but the fact is it's the only one available in the Pride Lands, so it seems fairly good. Which gets me to my next point...

Forms(?)

Up until the video before now, I couldn't actually go over Lion Form. Much like the other non-humanoid forms (Card Sora, Dice Sora, Merman Sora (Spoiler, Sora's a merman in Atlantica again)), you can't use Drive Forms in this state because it itself counts as a form. As a side note, Card and Dice Sora can do nothing, except both can attack, and Dice Sora's attack is the only way he can actually move around since it's a jump forward.

But, now that we have all the important abilities for it... Lion Form keeps a few of his Support Abilities, but for the most part Sora's abilities don't really apply. Lion Sora cannot Summon or use any Limits besides Wildcat. He even loses access to any Reaction Commands he'd have normally, since Lion Sora has his own Reaction Commands for the world-specific Heartless. His power hasn't really changed; he still hits about as hard as normal. He's even more mobile than normal! The downside is, of course, since Sora's abilities don't really apply, he has his own entirely different fighting style.

As I mentioned in the Physicals post, Lion Form gets extended combos. It also has its own Square moves! But most of them are just slightly altered, renamed versions of Square moves Sora normally has, except mapped to work with the Lion. The only truly special things that Lion Form gets unique to it is Dash and Running Tackle. Dash is, as we kept saying in those videos, one of the best things in this game. You hold the square button, Sora zooms around the area, and even drifts when you turn. Running Tackle makes it even better by letting you attack without interrupting your Dash; Sora spins like he does in Wildcat, going right through enemies while damaging them.

Key points for using Lion Form to its best advantage? Move in and out of combat, use your Square moves during or at the end of your combo, and while you're on the ground, Dash a lot. It's almost like a ground-based version of Master Form, now that I think about it. In fact, doesn't Sora use magic a bit quicker in Lion Form, and also move somewhat? I think that's the case, and I can't be bothered to check at the moment. Point is, like Master Form: MOBILITY. That's its strength. Use it to your advantage.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey guys, Prythian just told me to let you know that there won't be any updates this week because we didn't record on Saturday.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
In defense of Arcturus (though making fun of him is pretty great, keep doing what you all do) it was pretty smart to do the second visits on the left side before the right, since the left side ones are sort of the low point of the game and the land of dragons/Beasts Castle/Olympus ones are far better: it makes the pacing a lot better by sort of shuffling the lovely stuff right after the game's high point and then having the higher quality stuff later so that the game doesn't drag. So good job Arcturus, your weird world skipping ended up improving the LP.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008

ManlyGrunting posted:

In defense of Arcturus (though making fun of him is pretty great, keep doing what you all do) it was pretty smart to do the second visits on the left side before the right, since the left side ones are sort of the low point of the game and the land of dragons/Beasts Castle/Olympus ones are far better: it makes the pacing a lot better by sort of shuffling the lovely stuff right after the game's high point and then having the higher quality stuff later so that the game doesn't drag. So good job Arcturus, your weird world skipping ended up improving the LP.

That, or he wanted to be overleveled before he fought Xaldin. Not that I can blame him, because that boss can die in a fire.

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
As someone whose heard about how that fight went several times from Arcturus, you just wait. Something truly magical happens :allears:

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

It's magical because technically the odds were incredibly stacked me having it happen.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Finally caught up with the "Days" and "KH2" portions of this LP and it's been hilarious.

Now, I'm not an ornithologist, but I know a bit about birds and can tell you that Iago's "Turned over a new feather" would be as gross and painful as it sounds. Feathers aren't hair; structurally, they're very different. Heck, the long wing and tail feathers can be rooted right in the bird's skeleton. At best, it'd be less like flipping your hair (or flipping a feather that's dropped off and is lying on the ground) and more like bending back a thumbnail.

Also, I started a new sketchbook around when I started catching up with "KH2" so have some doodles! Starring Axel the Hedgehog, Horrifying Realistic Donald, High-Like-Everyday Pence, Dumb-Looking Abu, Totally Inconspicuous Mickey, and more.

(I can't decide whether Pete or Donald's Prideland form is the most confounding, but I will say that I can't read the phrase "Bird Donald" without going crosseyed.)

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Time for a new update!

New Episode (Uncut)
Episode 035 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Lucky Mickey"

New Episode
Episode 035 - "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Lucky Mickey"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Nobodies

Dragoon

The Dragoon Nobody definitely lives up to its namesake. It will pretty much constantly do the "Jump" attack that you would be very familiar with if you have played Final Fantasy IV. Its reaction command is called "Learn" and it does the exact same thing here that you would expect it would if you have ever played with a Blue Mage in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. After using Learn your attack command changes to "Jump" and you can save up multiple Jumps if you feel the need to.
Reaction Command: Learn - Sora snatches an attack from a Dragoon, leaps into the air, and strikes the enemy from above. Learn can be executed up to nine times; it replaces the Attack command. Magic can still be used freely.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I was looking through the thread and I was wondering if the issue with your original YouTube channel was resolved.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Rahonavis posted:

Finally caught up with the "Days" and "KH2" portions of this LP and it's been hilarious.

Now, I'm not an ornithologist, but I know a bit about birds and can tell you that Iago's "Turned over a new feather" would be as gross and painful as it sounds. Feathers aren't hair; structurally, they're very different. Heck, the long wing and tail feathers can be rooted right in the bird's skeleton. At best, it'd be less like flipping your hair (or flipping a feather that's dropped off and is lying on the ground) and more like bending back a thumbnail.

Also, I started a new sketchbook around when I started catching up with "KH2" so have some doodles! Starring Axel the Hedgehog, Horrifying Realistic Donald, High-Like-Everyday Pence, Dumb-Looking Abu, Totally Inconspicuous Mickey, and more.

(I can't decide whether Pete or Donald's Prideland form is the most confounding, but I will say that I can't read the phrase "Bird Donald" without going crosseyed.)

You know, I never said how much I appreciate this. :allears: This is simply amazing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Mrs Teapot debacle reminded me of this guy from Are You Afraid of the Dark:

https://youtu.be/LTCkMz-V-sY?t=256

I loved that guy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What episode was it where GMA totally got games mixed up? The one where he thought ya'll were talking about Bioshock infinite.

• Locked thread