Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Who needs safety standards when you can get your 3-wheeled car classified as a motorcycle?

Edit:

I have to wonder, since seatbelt laws don't apply to motorcycles, would you be required to wear one?
Conversely, I guess that helmet requiring states would require you to wear a helmet in this thing.

xergm fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Having seen one in person, I can guarantee helmets are required.

Because you sure as hell don't want anyone to recognize you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

In the US, vehicles over a certain GWVR are considered differently by the EPA, so on 3/4t and above trucks you can have diesel engines and whatnot, and they don't have to provide any fuel economy information for consumers.

As far as "safety standards" go, it's really more of an excuse for carmakers to complain about than anything real. What "safety standards" are there? I'm genuinely curious because I don't think there really are any. Other than things like must have ABS and 1 airbags I don't know of any that would seriously impact cars that would currently be sold. Certainly there is no requirement for any carmaker to disclose to their customers any crash test information - e.g. there are no publicly available crash test ratings that I am aware of for any US market Land Rover/Range Rover vehicles, the NHTSA's star rating system is completely voluntary and JLR has never submitted to it, while the IIHS has no interest in doing any crash tests on their own. Range Rovers might fold up like a cardboard accordion in a 35mph crash for all I know, and nothing is stopping their sales.

NOT A PICTURE OF A HORRIBLE MECHANICAL FAILURE

xergm posted:

Who needs safety standards when you can get your 3-wheeled car classified as a motorcycle?

Edit:

I have to wonder, since seatbelt laws don't apply to motorcycles, would you be required to wear one?
Conversely, I guess that helmet requiring states would require you to wear a helmet in this thing.

Horrible mechanical failure in the making:

Actual mechanical failure:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ is that a new kind of vtec where the stroke get varied?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can totally read this.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Actual mechanical failure:

Call me crazy, but I love that Polaris' look, it's like a Morgan trike and the SSV Normandy had a baby. Shame they're $20k and apparently super unsafe

E:
+

=
:wink:

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 5, 2015

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

`Nemesis posted:

Does every part on a car need to last the lifetime of the vehicle? At what point is it acceptable to expect that things will need occasional replacement?

This seems like a lot of teeth gnashing over something pretty minor.

Well, actually...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SEKCobra posted:

I can totally read this.

tl;dr:
Everyone immediately stop driving your Slingshots, as they suffer from Wheel Fall Off Syndrome. Also some of the roll bars are made of cheese.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

SEKCobra posted:

I can totally read this.

Bad bearings in the steering rack, potential "unexpected loss of steering control". Also, may or may not have defective "roll hoops" which I assume are a flavor of swaybar. I can read it without zoom on a Galaxy S5, might be time for some glasses. :corsair:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
:stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2OEQ08W8zo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I actually saw this exact issues on a minivan going down i-75 South.

Loaded with kids.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I actually saw this exact issues on a minivan going down i-75 South.

Loaded with kids.

I was driving and couldn't get a picture.. but saw a dad driving a minivan with kids.. on a highway... with a driver door that was being held closed with the force of his arm.. at one point it was open and in my lane while he was turning.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Horrible Mechanical Maintenance Failures.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I wish I could've gotten a picture of it but a few months back I saw a Suburban (or some other big GMC suv) on the freeway with a hot tub shell on top of it. The shell was tied to the car at one single point, by a strap from the front bumper up over the hood to the tub liner. What else was holding it on? Why, the 4 rather burly gentlemen in the vehicle reaching out of their open windows (including the driver) and, presumably, keeping the tub in place with a death grip and sheer force of will.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder if the owner of that vehicle is blaming the road conditions for their lovely ride.

"I paid my taxes why is this road so bumpy. :mad:"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

You probably know more about this than I do but I am pretty sure texas and rhode island are the only states with no points system, thus why he hasn't lost his license.

I do love how those F150s set themselves on fire with the cruise system.

We do have a points system, but you can take defensive driving once a year, and do deferred adjudication once a year (90 day probation).

Most of his tickets are red light tickets though. So thus, no points.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

xergm posted:

Edit:

At my second job, we make the hood and hoodliner/skeleton. I can say, conclusively, gently caress anyone who buys those. Stop buying them so we don't slash our arms to ribbons making parts for them.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
gently caress that thing,, I'd have this

lovely walk around video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdvkrOrr5bU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

fakeaccount posted:

This deserves some kind of award. Has a bigger failure ever occurred?

Don't loving get me started on that v6.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

xzzy posted:

I wonder if the owner of that vehicle is blaming the road conditions for their lovely ride.

"I paid my taxes why is this road so bumpy. :mad:"

That's the Tappan Zee Bridge, it'll eat rally car suspensions for lunch.

So, y'know, I'd give him points for trying that excuse.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Fire Storm posted:

HEY NOW, what's wrong with using a F750 SUV for day to day travel!?! (At least it's not a semi-SUV?)

You laugh, but I see a guy on my daily commute who daily drives one of these.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I would drive it.

(I'm a terrible person)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Somewhere in Orlando there's a guy with a big yellow bro-trucked version of one of those. I see it in traffic every once in a while.

drat thing's lifted and looks like it'll tip over standing still.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

xsf421 posted:

You laugh, but I see a guy on my daily commute who daily drives one of these.

http://f650pickups.com/

And many, many more.

These are $150k+ trucks for people who never intend to haul anything

:eyepop:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I like how they tacked a pontoon boat on top. I also like how it costs about four times more than a real RV.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Tried looking this guy up again

He put pickups on GMC box truck frames.
Doesnt look like business is booming.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My favorite was a bright yellow F650 just like the ones in the ad above with 'Tonka' written on the tailgate.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Tried looking this guy up again

He put pickups on GMC box truck frames.
Doesnt look like business is booming.

idk, I'm far from a truck enthusiast, but that thing is pretty cool.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Safety Dance posted:

I like how they tacked a pontoon boat on top. I also like how it costs about four times more than a real RV.

Everyone jokes about old big body-on-frame V8 sedans as being land yachts, but we are looking at the real thing there. Every aspect fits.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Took the term "land yacht" a little too literally.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sappo569 posted:

[These are $150k+ trucks for people who never intend to haul anything

:eyepop:

All I can hear is the Regular Car Reviews guys going "Its a car you can poop in!"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's not a boat car, this is a boat cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUzqXJjpq94

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Somebody mention boat-cars?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

There was a modern version of this in dupont registry ads circa-2001, and i keep remembering it and searching, but there doesn't seem to be anything about it anywhere on the internet.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRGFdmj2fOo

:getin:

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
boost leak

veedubfreak