Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I forgot for a moment my bad.

edit: the worst top of page response. In content news I tried to play assassins creed unity last night and was reminded why I don't play that game. Everyone in it is booooooring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RabbitWizard posted:

I thought the romance stuff was totally useless so i never searched for a waifu. That's what you get for playing blind. Will I get a bonus for never sticking my dick in anything and instead saving the Galaxy?

But I don't know if I will be playing ME3 anyway, so it's OK. I knew that I will lose some teammates in the end of ME2, so I always chose one I liked and one to sacrifice to the game if it comes to it. In one mission my favorite got grabbed by some bugs and they flew away with him. Without any way to prevent it. That's lovely. I wanted to decide who dies :cry:

Yeah, you don't have to lose anyone. All you have to do is make sure everyone is loyal (by doing their respective loyalty mission) and don't send anyone to do a special thing who isn't suited for the task.

Like the Tech Experts are like: Tali, Legion and someone else. Send one of them to hack the vents. Use Jacob or Miranda to lead the 2nd fire team, and use Samara or Jack to hold off the swarms with biotics.

If everyone's loyal and you do that - you won't lose anyone. Otherwise, if you send the wrong expert to do the Thing, they will die. Or, whoever is unloyal will die at each phase (so 2 ppl? 3? I forget how man checkpoints).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HaB posted:

Yeah, you don't have to lose anyone. All you have to do is make sure everyone is loyal (by doing their respective loyalty mission) and don't send anyone to do a special thing who isn't suited for the task.

Like the Tech Experts are like: Tali, Legion and someone else. Send one of them to hack the vents. Use Jacob or Miranda to lead the 2nd fire team, and use Samara or Jack to hold off the swarms with biotics.

If everyone's loyal and you do that - you won't lose anyone. Otherwise, if you send the wrong expert to do the Thing, they will die. Or, whoever is unloyal will die at each phase (so 2 ppl? 3? I forget how man checkpoints).

There's a really stupid thing where they were misleading/unclear about how dangerous sending Normandy survivors back to the ship is and instead of sending someone strong back you need to basically send Mordin because otherwise he will die. Even though you do everything right and even though you have everyone's loyalty. The stupidest part is he doesn't even get a death scene, he just dies off screen and everyone goes "yup, he's dead."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

There's a really stupid thing where they were misleading/unclear about how dangerous sending Normandy survivors back to the ship is and instead of sending someone strong back you need to basically send Mordin because otherwise he will die. Even though you do everything right and even though you have everyone's loyalty. The stupidest part is he doesn't even get a death scene, he just dies off screen and everyone goes "yup, he's dead."

there's some kind of invisible ranking of "most hardy" to "least hardy" that determines the chance for a crew member to die randomly in that final hold-off scene. Someone like Garrus or Grunt will never die, but Jack and Mordin have the highest chances of biting it and you have nothing to do about it other than sending one of them back with the survivors or taking them into the final boss chamber.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HaB posted:

I still laugh every time I read about putting Zaeed in charge at the end there.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Yeah my first play through I thought everyone made it out okay until suddenly there was a random coffin in a cutscene at a RIP Mordin message in the credits just because I took Grunt with me to fight the boss and it hosed up the numbers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HaB posted:

I had everybody loyal; but Thane was my loving go-to man so I used him on one of the tasks and apparently he wasn't cut out for it or whatever so he died.

gently caress you bioware :argh: Thane could do anything he loving wanted.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chard posted:

GTA hasn't been good since San Andreas, which was... holy gently caress, eleven years ago. They've been coasting so long the wheels are falling off.

Bully is arguably the best game they've ever released.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Guddamn, that forum chatter was the funniest poo poo right after the game dropped.

For those in the dark, Zaeed is a character whose war stories always end "and I was the only one to make it out alive." You're given the option to select one of your characters to lead a team at the end and tons of people apparently thought it was a good idea to pick him to do it over someone who, you know, hasn't gotten all of his comrades killed over and over.

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 21:21 on May 5, 2015

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

HaB posted:

Not to keep harping, but I was pissed when I lost Mordin in the vents.

He's a scientist and he can't make it through the "technical" role in the finale???

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

CowboyKid posted:

He's a scientist and he can't make it through the "technical" role in the finale???

Uh, science and tech are different things though.

You wouldn't ask a biologist to build a spaceship.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that killed Mordin for me was because I sent Grunt back to the ship with the Normandy survivors because hey, going back through the Collector station sounds pretty dangerous, except its not.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CowboyKid posted:

Why would you pick him over a robot or a gal wearing an environmental protection suit you goofball

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

kazil posted:

Uh, science and tech are different things though.

You wouldn't ask a biologist to build a spaceship.

I wouldn't ask Tali or Legion to either.

Every cutscene has Mordin using technology, led me to believe he'd be able to open the vents.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Why would you pick him over a robot or a gal wearing an environmental protection suit you goofball

Because both of them would be better than Mordin at fighting off the aliens.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
^ I guess I could see Legion fighting, but Tali's whole thing is being a tech genius, hell one of her attacks is creating a little robo buddy to help her, she's another obvious choice to go into the vents over fighting.

CowboyKid posted:

I wouldn't ask Tali or Legion to either.

Every cutscene has Mordin using technology, led me to believe he'd be able to open the vents.

Legion is literally a robot though who, as I recall right, can call upon the collective technical knowledge of every single other Geth in existence. He seems like a pretty clear cut choice over a doctor. That's like saying you see a brain surgeon operating his laptop, obviously he knows how to work advanced tech!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

As a call center agent who does computer and television tech support, I've talked to some doctors who were really computer dumb. Science and medical smartness does not equal tech smartness.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

CowboyKid posted:

Because both of them would be better than Mordin at fighting off the aliens.

Really? I brought Mordin with me to the final boss because his firebombs melted the Collectors and did pretty goddamn well against the final boss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Legion is literally a robot though who, as I recall right, can call upon the collective technical knowledge of every single other Geth in existence. He seems like a pretty clear cut choice over a doctor. That's like saying you see a brain surgeon operating his laptop, obviously he knows how to work advanced tech!

My only regret is that I can't have a legion of Legions, and just send Legion on every role.

Probably my favorite AI character from any sci-fi, which is saying something.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
For the record, I absolutely love Chroma Squad, a Senti/PR simulator.

However, there's one thing that bugs me about it, and that's how the item system is handled. Items you buy from the store have fixed properties, whereas ones you craft have random properties. This leads to times when you're going back and forth through menus in order to figure out which is ultimately better. It's made worse when some of the traits/abilities you can craft don't show up on the better-or-worse popup.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alouicious posted:

there's some kind of invisible ranking of "most hardy" to "least hardy" that determines the chance for a crew member to die randomly in that final hold-off scene. Someone like Garrus or Grunt will never die, but Jack and Mordin have the highest chances of biting it and you have nothing to do about it other than sending one of them back with the survivors or taking them into the final boss chamber.

And it's based on how many people there are in that final sequence. I had no one but Zaeed holding the line in my intentional gently caress up run because I totally expected him to die, and not only does he live but he pulls my rear end into the ship during the escape. He can hold off an entire army by himself so long as he doesn't have to look out for anyone, but if he does, they're probably toast.

Ironically, if you make him the leader in the fire team, he's the only one to die. Mr "I'm the only one who lived" Zaeed finally takes one for the team.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 22:53 on May 5, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Send Thane! He's good in vents!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

RBA Starblade posted:

On the other hand, Garrus is one of the best choices for the second leader and he lost an entire squad too.

counterfeitpinecone
Sep 10, 2010

psychosis cat
What happens in Mass Effect 3 if you get your entire team slaughtered in ME 2? Is it just you and that rubbish marine called Gary or whatever and no other content?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

counterfeitpinecone posted:

What happens in Mass Effect 3 if you get your entire team slaughtered in ME 2? Is it just you and that rubbish marine called Gary or whatever and no other content?

You just lose Garrus and Tali in ME3. They added new people to compensate for the removal and they also bring back Ashley and Kaidan.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

You just lose Garrus and Tali in ME3. They added new people to compensate for the removal and they also bring back Ashley and Kaidan.

Ashley OR Kaiden.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DStecks posted:

Ashley OR Kaiden.

Ashley

Because come on, who kept Kaiden alive.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Bloodborne-

-For some reason you have to manually compare stats of equipment in the shop against what you're wearing because apparently it's 1992.
-For the most part, the chalice dungeons offer rewards for opening up more chalice dungeons. It never really felt "worth it" except to squeeze a bit more gameplay out, and in my experience the "randomly generated" setpiece arrangement really takes away from the experience. It doesn't help that they threw a pile of exclusive bosses/content into it.
-There was a lack of weapon/build diversity. Save for a select few choice weapons, many were just strictly inferior to others. (Looking at you, stake driver/tonitrius.)
-The armor choices available are for the most part cosmetic, with underlying "Play dress-up to make people happy with you" mechanics. This isn't mentioned anywhere in game.
-"Oh, another four-legged boss, I wonder if the safest place is between its legs."
-Whyyyyy did they make playing with friends such a trial?!
-Kind of an abrupt conclusion in my opinion, though all of the Souls games have kind of done this "you are a part of something grand, piece it together" thing.

I definitely enjoyed the game and the art design/aesthetics of the universe knocked it out of the park, but, yeah.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Ashley

Because come on, who kept Kaiden alive.

Ashley's a space racist and has a boring skillset compared to Kaiden. :colbert:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Too much bad language in GTA 5 for me, I don't like it so much.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

In universe she was born one year after humanity fought a war with the first alien race it met. Given that humans have only been on the galactic scene for like 25 years, she probably has a reason to feel a little like "if push comes to shove, we're toast."

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Poulpe posted:

Bloodborne-

-For some reason you have to manually compare stats of equipment in the shop against what you're wearing because apparently it's 1992.
-For the most part, the chalice dungeons offer rewards for opening up more chalice dungeons. It never really felt "worth it" except to squeeze a bit more gameplay out, and in my experience the "randomly generated" setpiece arrangement really takes away from the experience. It doesn't help that they threw a pile of exclusive bosses/content into it.
-There was a lack of weapon/build diversity. Save for a select few choice weapons, many were just strictly inferior to others. (Looking at you, stake driver/tonitrius.)
-The armor choices available are for the most part cosmetic, with underlying "Play dress-up to make people happy with you" mechanics. This isn't mentioned anywhere in game.
-"Oh, another four-legged boss, I wonder if the safest place is between its legs."
-Kind of an abrupt conclusion in my opinion, though all of the Souls games have kind of done this "you are a part of something grand, piece it together" thing.

I definitely enjoyed the game and the art design/aesthetics of the universe knocked it out of the park, but, yeah.

The only random chalices are the Root chalices. And gently caress the chalices anyway, I'm having to play them because one weapon is in Ailing Loran.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Poulpe posted:

Bloodborne-

In the options menu you can add an 8 character password that means you only co-op with other people using the same password. Still can take a while to find them, but it will guarantee you only find your friends for co-op.

The rest of what you've said is legit, even though I've spent 60+ hours in the game

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Its funny cause Kaidan is actually the best party member in ME3, his skillset is just insane.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Starhawk64 posted:

That was old Bioware, before they got bought out by EA and all the old guard jumped ship. If DA:I is any indication then instead of having a racist party member in ME4 everybody will be a perfect rolemodel of progressiveness and saying hurtful things to an alien will objectively be more evil than committing genocide.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

That was old Bioware, before they got bought out by EA and all the old guard jumped ship. If DA:I is any indication then instead of having a racist party member in ME4 everybody will be a perfect rolemodel of progressiveness and saying hurtful things to an alien will objectively be more evil than committing genocide.

Yeah, like Sera!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

*satellite zoom into an archaeologist sifting through a box of petrified mammoth droppings labelled Sleeveless' Post Repository*

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

What are you even trying to parody? If there's any series that can't be accused of having too little elf racism, it's Dragon Age.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mycot posted:

What are you even trying to parody? If there's any series that can't be accused of having too little elf racism, it's Dragon Age.

there's a thing where if you're transphobic to a trans member of a mercenary group the rest of the mercenary group doesn't like you very much and for some reason that drives people insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alouicious posted:

there's a thing where if you're transphobic to a trans member of a mercenary group the rest of the mercenary group doesn't like you very much and for some reason that drives people insane

I'm just amazed that DA has like 5 different and separate kinds of fantasy racism (mage, Elf, Qunari, etc.) with almost every party member indulging in at least a couple (one is a slavery advocate for crying out loud), but apparently that's not enough alien racism.

mycot has a new favorite as of 02:31 on May 6, 2015