Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Let the fractioning begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

:flashfap:

e; in before SHY attempts to grab power

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oh. poo poo.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

SHY 2016

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Murodese posted:

e; in before SHY attempts to grab power

SHY runs every single time there's a spill (all Party Room positions are automatically spilled after each election). She doesn't have the numbers.

It'll be the Bandtwagon vs. Luddmentum.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Will Milne be staying on as senator?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Quantum Mechanic posted:

SHY runs every single time there's a spill (all Party Room positions are automatically spilled after each election). She doesn't have the numbers.

It'll be the Bandtwagon vs. Luddmentum.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Scotty2Hottie for leader.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Rhiannon or bust.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

gay picnic defence posted:

Will Milne be staying on as senator?

She says she's leaving the senate.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Leader: Ludlam
Deputy Leader: Ludlam's Hair

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
There's far better personalities in The Greens but she made an alright in-between leader.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Think Bandt's gonna win it. Might be just because he's in the seat of Melbourne but I see him on the news and the like a lot more often, a lot more visible.

Who's the current deputy?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Murodese posted:

The funniest thing about HELP is that the people most likely to use a lot of it (postgrads) are also the least likely to stay in the country afterwards by virtue of there being very few research jobs in Australia. Brain drain occurs for a reason, lads, and it's not "taxes are too high".

This is pretty much the best way to sum up the current situation. The Government knows current students don't exactly have prospects in Australia, but damned if they can run away to get work in their field elsewhere.

There's really two options available to the majority of graduates right now. The first option is you can stay in Australia, struggle to find whatever work you can find and end up earning some amount under the repayment threshold. The second is you can go overseas and get a job in your field. Both options end up resulting in HECS debt not being paid back. Maybe the Government needs to explore creating employment opportunities for both graduates and post-grads to keep them in Australia and in a position where HECS is repaid.

Nope instead gotta chase the cat up the tree and bark uselessly at it for an hour.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

There's far better personalities in The Greens but she made an alright in-between leader.
She seemed to be a good polly, but her public speaking skills were as bad as Kim Beasley's

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
+1 for Scotty.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Scripture books promoting "dangerous" messages about sex and male power are being used in NSW public schools, leading to calls for a crack down on special religious education.

Parent-run lobby group Fairness in Religions in Schools (FIRIS) has raised concerns about a number of publications for students attending scripture classes in state secondary schools.

The Anglican secondary special religious education (SRE) curriculum for public schools includes texts which FIRIS claims promotes sexual abstinence outside a "lifelong relationship" and the doctrine of male headship and female submission.

A sample lesson from another provider, Seed: SRE, claims divorce happens "because of human sinfulness and ignorance". Another section aimed at year 8 students lists "mistakes women make" as talking too much and giving in sexually while male "mistakes" include letting their bodies rule and lacking courage.

A FIRIS-commissioned analysis of Teen Sex By the Book and its companion manuals, produced by Australia's biggest evangelical Christian school curriculum publisher, Christian Education Publications, found they failed to meet industry standards. The books link teen sex to drug addiction and alcoholism, describe homosexuality as "misplaced sexual desire" and warns that girls who wear short skirts and low-cut tops might be "tempting their Christian brothers to lust".

Sex educator Deanne Carson, who analysed the texts, said the treatment of divorce and homosexuality contravened Department of Education and Communities (DEC) guidelines.

"The book's messaging on sexuality and gender diversity is hugely concerning," she said. "It really undermines the work being done in schools and communities to support same-sex attracted young people."

Her report, which has been sent to Education Minister Adrian Piccoli, recommends schools do not use the book or manuals.

Teen Sex by the Book author Patricia Weerakoon said the book was intended to be used by Christian parents and their teenagers.

"It does not in any way portray same-sex attraction as a sin," she said. "It does not portray pre-marital sex or divorce as sins."

Chief executive of Anglican Media Sydney Russell Powell said Teen Sex by The Book was not intended for use in SRE classes, however it is listed alongside other SRE materials in a Christian Education Publications catalogue.

The Greens education spokesperson, John Kaye, called for greater scrutiny of material being used in scripture classes in public schools, saying parents need to know what their children are being taught.

"If parents knew that scripture was much more than quaint stories about men gadding about in togas and Roman sandals, enrolments would plummet," he said. "This is dangerous stuff. Abstinence messaging and homophobia have real consequences for vulnerable young people."

FIRIS campaign co-ordinator Lara Wood urged the DEC to overhaul consent procedures for scripture classes and make parents fully aware of the curriculum.

"We call on the (DEC) to remove all of these materials from schools immediately and conduct a parliamentary review into how this damaging curriculum was able to become available to SRE teachers," she said.

Centre for Public Christianity director Simon Smart said many public schools support scripture classes, provided by well trained teachers in consultation with the school community.

A DEC spokeswoman said the implementation of scripture and ethics was under review.

So many sinners.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Scotty would be alright but Adam is far more visible due to his Melbourne seat. I see Adam on TV far more than Scotty but Scotty far more on the internet than Adam :confused:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
How safe a seat is Melbourne though?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Anidav posted:

Scotty would be alright but Adam is far more visible due to his Melbourne seat. I see Adam on TV far more than Scotty but Scotty far more on the internet than Adam :confused:

Connecting with the Twitch generation.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Lid posted:

So many sinners.

end SRE and make school secular.

good riddance to bad rubbish.

Fat_Kiwi
Jun 30, 2007

Vladimir Poutine posted:

How safe a seat is Melbourne though?

Bandt got 42.62% of primary votes in 2013 and came out with 55.91% of 2CP between him and Labor. He also picked up an extra 7% from the 2011 election.

Not the safest, but pretty safe.

AEC breakdown for Melbourne

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I thought Adam got more Air time because he was the Deputy Leader and was acting leader when Milne was away

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is good news because now they will have an actually electable leader. Maybe someone who gets some time in the media so people are actually aware of them.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Laserface posted:

This is good news because now they will have an actually electable leader. Maybe someone who gets some time in the media so people are actually aware of them.

That's what I was thinking. Both Bandt and Ludlam are way better public speakers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

SHY has all the best coverage, she was on the front cover of ZOO once, remember? :v:

quote:

Greens Senator Hanson-Young's head was photo-shopped onto the body of a lingerie-clad underwear model to promote the competition, with the magazine claiming she had turned down their offer to house asylum seekers in the publication's offices if she posed for a "tasteful" photoshoot in her underwear.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 6, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Please put this in all future OPs. Thanks.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
What is a Richard Di Natale and could he end up leader instead? (he announced he is running)

Fat_Kiwi posted:

Bandt got 42.62% of primary votes in 2013 and came out with 55.91% of 2CP between him and Labor. He also picked up an extra 7% from the 2011 election.

Not the safest, but pretty safe.

AEC breakdown for Melbourne

Do leaders of a party generally get a boost in their home seat? Might he be safer as a higher profile candidate?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
How did it feel getting to vote on your leader?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Goffer posted:

What is a Richard Di Natale and could he end up leader instead? (he announced he is running)
Senator from Queensland Victoria, pretty good.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 6, 2015

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Everybody post your greens dream team.

As much as I'd like Ludlam to be the leader, I feel he is more suited to the subtle attack dog style of role. Leadership has a habit of making the person the focal point of the opposition, and that would mean Ludlam would have to spread his effort to the entire party portfolio, instead of going deep and strong on the issues he is a master of.

Bandt seems like a good choice, as long as he can be seen to provide effective leadership from the house while the rest of the members are in the senate.

Also you're all on notice, if SHY gets the leadership I predict a swing away from the Greens at the next election. From most indications she won't, but if she does it will be a sign, and not a good one.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hooman posted:

Please put this in all future OPs. Thanks.

Doesn't include Criag, 0/10

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
For the love of god don't let SHY or Whish-Wilson near the leadership positions.

Would be happy with any combination of Ludlam/bandt/di natale/rhiannon as leader /deputy

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Doesn't include Criag, 0/10

Negligent is a ratbag parachute account.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Gough Suppressant posted:

For the love of god don't let SHY or Whish-Wilson near the leadership positions.

Would be happy with any combination of Ludlam/bandt/di natale/rhiannon as leader /deputy

You realise QM can read your posts right?

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014
Isnt there a Greens policy on gender in lead roles? ie if the leader is a man, the deputy has to be a woman and vice versa.

If that is true, then I want Scotty Ludlam and Larissa Waters please.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Gough Suppressant posted:

What's wrong with Whish-Wilson? I haven't heard much (which may be the reason)

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Beyond Satire posted:

Isnt there a Greens policy on gender in lead roles? ie if the leader is a man, the deputy has to be a woman and vice versa.

If that is true, then I want Scotty Ludlam and Larissa Waters please.

How about Bandt in drag / Ludlam?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Zenithe posted:

What's wrong with Whish-Wilson? I haven't heard much (which may be the reason)

He's a tree tory. Doesn't give a poo poo about the workers, just wants to go smoke weed in the forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
triple post

• Locked thread