Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

How about Bandt in drag / Ludlam?

Could work. If he tears his stocking he'd be... Bandt In A Run :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
iiNet accepts TPG Telecom's revised $1.56b takeover offer

http://www.theage.com.au/business/iinet-accepts-tpg-telecoms-revised-156b-takeover-offer-20150506-ggv0ur.html?skin=text-only

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

How safe a seat is Melbourne though?

He won without preferences last election and I don't see the inner-city Melbourne getting any less left-wing any time soon.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Birb Katter posted:

He's a tree tory. Doesn't give a poo poo about the workers, just wants to go smoke weed in the forest.

This.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

gently caress

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

gently caress

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014

Zenithe posted:

What's wrong with Whish-Wilson? I haven't heard much (which may be the reason)

Has stupid and wrong opinions about penalty rates.

Birb Katter posted:

How about Bandt in drag / Ludlam?

What kind of drag? Are we talking 'would pass'? or diva-esque and all sequined up? If it's the latter, I pick that. Wanna see Diva Bandt arguing with 'I feel threatened' Abbott in HoR

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Les Affaires posted:

Also you're all on notice, if SHY gets the leadership I predict a swing away from the Greens at the next election. From most indications she won't, but if she does it will be a sign, and not a good one.

Kommando posted:

Brisgoons, where are we meeting this month?

My house.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

blacksun posted:

gently caress

gently caress

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

quote:

Responding to news of Senator Milne's resignation on Wednesday, Treasurer Joe Hockey told a media conference he hoped change at the top meant the Greens would "see commonsense" when negotiating with the government.

"I just say to whoever is the new leader of the Greens, please, please offer us some bipartisan support in the Senate that helps us to strengthen the Australian economy," Mr Hockey said.

"Ultimately if the Australian economy is strong we can spend the money on the environment but when the Australian economy is weak or when it's facing long-term spending challenges, ultimately the environment suffers along the way."

Good luck with that, Joe.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Les Affaires posted:

Everybody post your greens dream team.

As much as I'd like Ludlam to be the leader, I feel he is more suited to the subtle attack dog style of role. Leadership has a habit of making the person the focal point of the opposition, and that would mean Ludlam would have to spread his effort to the entire party portfolio, instead of going deep and strong on the issues he is a master of.

Bandt seems like a good choice, as long as he can be seen to provide effective leadership from the house while the rest of the members are in the senate.

Also you're all on notice, if SHY gets the leadership I predict a swing away from the Greens at the next election. From most indications she won't, but if she does it will be a sign, and not a good one.

My thoughts exactly. I think ludlam will be a great candidate for leader in 5 or 10 years, he'd be wasted there now though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I think Bandt/Rhiannon would be a pretty good team. Despite not being in the Senate I do think Bandt is the natural and suitable choice for leader.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Luddy 4 PM

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

drat, no sportsbet on Greens leadership. Oh well, there's always this:

OR

OR

:boonie:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Haha, Uhlmann pretending that having a token leadership ballot amongst the members actually means anything. I, for one, was a particular fan of the process under which Albanese, the ALP's choice, became leader

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Uhlman on abc24 talking poo poo about the greens party mechanics lolo.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Why would you listen to Uhlman?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Splode posted:

Why would you listen to Uhlman?

abc24 gave him a microphone for 30 seconds before realising it was a mistake

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

To be fair, the ALP's way, without backroom deals and union interference would've been pretty sweet.

BUT THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Anidav posted:

To be fair, the ALP's way, without backroom deals and union interference would've been pretty sweet.

BUT THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

That's kinda the point. There's not much point in having a membership ballot if the leadership's just going to go "HMM WELL THAT DIDN'T GO AS PLANNED. LET'S FIX THIS."

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So I guess they feel the invisible reign of Shill Borton is going to plan?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The current variations are a distraction for the membership to watch and yeah, there's not too much point if some NSW powerbroker can just push a red button and get his/her person in power regardless.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

quote:

"I just say to whoever is the new leader of the Greens, please, please offer us some bipartisan support in the Senate that helps us to strengthen the Australian economy," Mr Hockey said.

Doesn't understand what bipartisan means in the Australian Federal context - CHECK.
Thinks what he is doing is strengthening the Australian economy - SCOFF.GIF

Muppet Government

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also I reckon the media are pissed that they didn't get weeks of leaks about greens leadership speculation running up to this.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Do they even need a leader?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Wow ABC is really bashing The Greens...?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

katlington posted:

Uhlman on abc24 talking poo poo about the greens party mechanics lolo.

I thought that shithead was leaving the ABC after doing his best to crawl up Abbott's arse during the last Federal election

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Anidav posted:

Wow ABC is really bashing The Greens...?

No, Uhlmann's bashing the Greens. His wife's an ALP member, don't forget.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Murodese posted:

No, Uhlmann's bashing the Greens. His wife's an ALP member, don't forget.

He's the only one they can get on TV at this hour, everyone else is too busy sharpening their teeth for when Joe appears post-budget.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

On balance, yes I think they do. Not necessarily for their own purposes but to at least be a spokesperson for the media.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

They require a leader at least in a spokesperson manner - having the ticker say "<Party> Leader" means you're speaking for the party rather than "<Party> Member". Imagine if the Libs didn't have a leader and Bernardi gave lots of press conferences :allears:

Greens members, is the reason there weren't leaks and the like due to Milne retiring peacefully or the leadership role in the more democratically spread Greens party not meaning much? To anyone except SHY, that is.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Why not just have a spokesperson then?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Vladimir Poutine posted:

She says she's leaving the senate.

She's not recontesting in 2016. She's staying until the election.

Birb Katter posted:

You realise QM can read your posts right?

QM agrees with most of these posts, he is not a scary monster :(

(gently caress SHY)

Murodese posted:

Haha, Uhlmann pretending that having a token leadership ballot amongst the members actually means anything. I, for one, was a particular fan of the process under which Albanese, the ALP's choice, became leader

I'm pretty vocal in the party about a democratic leadership ballot, but if you put a gun to my head I'd rather transparent policy and opaque leadership than the alternative.

open24hours posted:

No. NSW doesn't have a leader, and has been arguing against one. Lee is abstaining from the ballot. We do need to select one, though, since it's in the by-laws.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I thought we were an autonomous collective

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Quantum Mechanic posted:

She's not recontesting in 2016. She's staying until the election.

QM agrees with most of these posts, he is not a scary monster :(

(gently caress SHY)

I'm pretty vocal in the party about a democratic leadership ballot, but if you put a gun to my head I'd rather transparent policy and opaque leadership than the alternative.

No. NSW doesn't have a leader, and has been arguing against one. Lee is abstaining from the ballot. We do need to select one, though, since it's in the by-laws.

Now it's finally Inanimate Carbon Rod's time to shine.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hooman posted:

Now it's finally Inanimate Carbon Rod's time to shine.

I don't think he'll give up the leader of the opposition salary bump tbh

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Actually, there does have to be *a* leader, since it's a formal position in the Federal Parliament and it comes with extra staff and resources. It doesn't have to be controlled by one particular person, though. In NSW the equivalent is the Convener of the Party Room.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You wonder how a party can survive without a strong man at the top to make captain's calls on their behalf.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

@KevinAndrewsMP posted:

Does it really matter who will lead the freedom hating @Greens? Their anti-family & community destroying policies remain #greenspill #auspol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I used to really like Albo but recently he's been coming out swinging against The Greens by saying they're cavemen who hate airports. Now I'm kinda neutral; on one hand he fights Tories, on the other hand he fights for the ALP Platform.

Albo posted:

One of the advantages of representing a minor political party is that because you aren’t trying to win government, you never have to deliver on your promises.

But that fact should not excuse politicians from minor parties from offering genuine, workable solutions to policy challenges facing the community.

Increasingly, minor parties in this country and overseas are crafting opportunist and negative election positions rather than proposing solutions.

So it is with the Greens and their approach to the commonwealth’s plan to build a second Sydney airport at Badgerys Creek. The NSW Greens oppose the development of the Badgerys Creek airport, but they also want to close the existing Kingsford Smith airport and build a new airport at an imaginary, unnamed site outside the Sydney basin, which they would connect to the city by high-speed rail. If this were put in place, Sydney would be the only global city without an airport. It’s the stuff of fantasy. It has no place in the world of serious policy debate. Yet this has been Greens policy for the whole of this century.

One on one, realistic Greens party members acknowledge this is not practical. Yet the policy remains and enables the party to campaign for zero impact of aviation activity anywhere, despite the fact modern aviation is a driver of economic activity.

The community has the right to expect that serious parties come to the table with ideas capable of implementation, not just complaints.

Regrettably, the Greens have given up serious participation in the decades-long debate about Sydney’s aviation needs.

They have not been prepared to step back from the local political ­angles, to consider the bigger picture and the broader economic and strategic national interest.

The Badgerys Creek airport will create thousands of jobs for the people of western Sydney. It will provide a huge boost not only for the economy of NSW but for the entire nation. The issues involved require ­serious consideration from ­politicians.

Before the Abbott government’s decision to proceed with construction of the Badgerys Creek airport, the former Labor government examined whether there were other options. The research identified the only possible alternative airport site at Wilton, but it was a higher cost and an inferior site to Badgerys Creek, where the Hawke Labor government had already purchased the land and put in place strict environmental controls.

The Greens opposed Wilton, too. In the light of this, their proposal to banish Sydney’s airport to an unnamed site and to link it to the city with a high-speed rail line cannot be taken seriously.

The comprehensive study into the plan to build a high-speed rail line from Brisbane to Melbourne via Sydney and Canberra found that 67km of tunnelling in Sydney would be necessary for it to operate. It’s a serious project worthy of support. But, like any major infrastructure project, high-speed rail would affect communities along the route. Tunnels require ­exhausts. Construction creates ­inconvenience.

Delivering high-speed rail, just like building the Badgerys Creek airport, will require explanation of the benefits and broad support across the political spectrum.

Indeed, it is likely that the challenges of high-speed rail construction will create issues over a far wider area than the second airport.

In short, it will require political representatives to act on principle rather than seek to exploit local communities’ fear of change for political gain. Given the Greens’ record on opposing a second Sydney airport, opposing the Moorebank Intermodal, which will take freight off trucks and on to rail, as well as ­opposing safety upgrades to the Pacific Highway, it would be remarkable if they did not confect reasons to oppose high-speed rail in practice.

When it comes to economic infrastructure, the Greens are political opportunists.

If this criticism sounds too harsh, consider the tactics being employed by the UK Greens in the campaign for this week’s British election.

The Tories have proposed to spend more than $30 billion to construct a high-speed rail system linking eight out of 10 of the UK’s major cities. The HS2 is designed to serve one in five of the UK population, reducing the need for air travel and providing a major boost to economic productivity.

The Liberal Democrats back this nation-building ­project. Labour also supports high-speed rail.

But in a bizarre twist, the UK Greens oppose the project. They argue it will inconvenience nearby residents. Never mind the productivity benefits to the British economy, the jobs the project would create or the opportunities for economic development in cities along the route of the track.

He's pretty much a crafty party hack who wheels out his actual opinions when it suits him or the ALP. Realistically, he's probably scared shitless about his seat slowly getting Pac-Man'd.

• Locked thread