Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I figured, I couldn't help myself.:D

I'd love to hear some of yours, but you eliminated all of your minorities.

edit
gently caress. I forgot you're a Kiwi and not from Tasmania. I don't know why I always confuse the two. :shrug:

Nah, we have more minorities than most places. NZ is very multicultural unless you live in the country. Pacific islanders get called coconuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

quote:

What did you do to your ride today?

I dropped it in a parking lot and broke off a turn signal. Much sleeker profile now.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

What ?????

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 9, 2015

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Put some numbers on the XR

No pic but I also installed some front blinkers on my Thundercat and fixed a blown bulb in the left rear. Yesterday I swapped front tires on the ex250s because the front on the good one went flat mysteriously after a big stupid retarded dog mauled it when I was riding to the garage for an inspection sticker. I am not saying the dog popped it but its a pretty big coincidence.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
new fender and mirrors.

old dong

new dong

lovely rear end PO respraying plastics.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would you want to switch to a smaller dong :confused:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Why would you want to switch to a smaller dong :confused:

Because fat and slow isn't synonymous with big dongs?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Put a new headlight in. This will be the third (and hopefully last!) one I've put in with about 15k miles on the odo.

Holy. poo poo.

These LED headlights (I think I posted either in Questions or Gear) are amazing.

Kinda pricey but not horrible ($60 for an H7 for my Ninjer), and super bright. If they last like they're supposed to, this will be the only headlight I ever use on any motorcycle.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/led-headlight-bulbs.html

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Lynza posted:

Put a new headlight in. This will be the third (and hopefully last!) one I've put in with about 15k miles on the odo.

Holy. poo poo.

These LED headlights (I think I posted either in Questions or Gear) are amazing.

Kinda pricey but not horrible ($60 for an H7 for my Ninjer), and super bright. If they last like they're supposed to, this will be the only headlight I ever use on any motorcycle.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/led-headlight-bulbs.html

You took before and after pics so we can see the beam cut off and stuff, right?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I couldn't do a before because my headlight was burned out, but I'll see if I can do a decent after. I am amazed at how much brighter (and bluer) this headlight is compared to the others I've tried. Yesterday, full sun, I could see the light reflecting off the bumper of the car in front of me. I can't remember having seen it before.

The light at night appears to have a more spread-out (and less dark spots in random places) look. I don't know how the range compares, exactly, but the light quality is much more uniform.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

clutchpuck posted:

Fixing Buell FFUs

Checked the hot terminal for the starter, it was tight and clean. Ironically, no joy there.

I've gone through and checked all the easy poo poo so now I got a 1ga copper cable and I'm about to rethink Erik's wiring.

The starter problem I am having is supposed to be associated with a bad ground. From the factory that ground goes through the engine, through the tie bar at the top of the engine, through the frame, through the subframe fasteners, subframe, and finally a 1ga to the battery's negative terminal.

I'm going to run a new supplemental ground from the tie bar on the engine side right to the battery, under the saddle.

Something like

Stay tuned for a "the bike lit my junk on fire" update.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

It got a proper wash, chain scrub/lube, and polish. The motul stuff is pretty decent. It's smooth and shiny now.

I love your bike

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
The GS500e was long overdue for an oil change. It was simple, and only took about 20 minutes of actual work. It spit out this soupy thick black mess. It was the first time the oil had been changed in a year.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Did I fix my starter problem? Maybe. I sandpapered even more ground connections and I can't get it to not start when I hit the start button.

70f after work today you better believe I got my leg mildly warm.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Performance Friction 95 pads in the Ducati. Bedded them in quick and goddamn do they stop compared to the OEM brembo pads (I was also having pad fade issues). I ran them on my GSXR750 and really liked them while running a Tokiko master and R6 front calipers so I'm sure they will do well here too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pad fell apart this morning on my commute to work. whoops.

only thing I could figure, the guide pins weren't stuck, or even dirty, and its a single piston piece of poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That has to be one lovely-rear end brake pad, holy Christ. Did it scour the rotor at all?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Galfer brand. which is what I threw back on it. It chewed on the rotor. I don't really give two shits. By the time it kills this set of pads I'll have the gen2 brake poo poo/swingarm for it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Called a place in Vancouver to order my Bandit seat bits. Let's see if this works.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Camping season calls! The great outdoors!
Got my side racks in today, my givi soft saddlebags come in on Monday!

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Lubed chain for the billionth time, adjusted throttle cable, and got a dyno run!

It's only a CBR500R so not a whole lot of power, but the dyno run was free so why not!
The bike is stock except for a Two Brothers can.

Max Power: 43.31 HP
I'm also running pretty lean apparently. He said it should be a little above 13, and I'm at 14.85.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Motorcycle USA says the bike is 42.9 HP, and I was thinking I'd be below 40 because it's at 33500 miles and due for a service. The bike was also smooth (and boring) the whole way through, whereas some bikes sounded like they were lugging the whole way through.

Some guys R6 chain sheared a side plate and came off. :eyepop:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Razzled posted:

Camping season calls! The great outdoors!
Got my side racks in today, my givi soft saddlebags come in on Monday!

Nice!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm also running pretty lean apparently. He said it should be a little above 13, and I'm at 14.85.

Generally speaking, NA petrol engines produce max power just slightly rich of stoichiometric (which is 14.64, but usually said to be 14.7 since that's good enough). It's good practice to run between 12:1 and 13:1 in order to keep exhaust gas temperatures in check though.

On the other hand, almost every vehicle sold new today runs lean to very lean stock, to (among other things) improve fuel economy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Generally speaking, NA petrol engines produce max power just slightly rich of stoichiometric (which is 14.64, but usually said to be 14.7 since that's good enough). It's good practice to run between 12:1 and 13:1 in order to keep exhaust gas temperatures in check though.

On the other hand, almost every vehicle sold new today runs lean to very lean stock, to (among other things) improve fuel economy.

At the expense (on some/most bikes) of lean surge at low revs - I got a ~20% improvement in fuel economy in the city by richening up the mixture a bit so I could potter around at 2-2.5k revs, which was horrible and jerky with the stock fuelling. It's probably slightly worse, mpg-wise, out of town but mpg is the last thing on my mind at the weekend.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got 'em back from storage, finally. :neckbeard: Now to do a survey of the damage and see what else I need to pick up.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Used that Honda bug & tar spray cleaner and holy crap that stuff eats through bug guts like nothing I've used before. Changed oil and did the string thing after adjusting the chain.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Retarded Pimp posted:

Honda bug & tar spray cleaner

Make-specific bug removers...round 1...FIGHT.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Please just buy a bottle of S100.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

lovely KLRs come with a lovely chain guide that I ripped off the first dirt trip. They're not made of metal, and nobody makes one for it in metal.

Thanks kawasaki parts bin!

Also helped my buddy with his new drz and some routine maintenance.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
The new DRZ didn't have DOT tires on it, so I've been trying to swap those out myself. I gave up on the back after a couple pinch flats and had the shop do it. Then I tried the front again myself and finally got that one without a pinch flat. There were about 6 inches on each side that I can't quite get the bead to set though, it's stuck a bit further down into the wheel. I tried airing it up half a dozen times with the air compressor before I gave up for the day. I looked at it this morning and one side popped into place, just gotta get that last bit now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Put it in the sun plus throw some lube down there.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Put it in the sun plus throw some lube down there.

That's what my mom said I should do to attract a lady

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah a little dawn squirted down in there and bounce it some and it'll probably snug up and seat.

They can be a bear. That's one thing I always have the shop do now after fighting a couple tires in the past.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
No such thing as "too much lube." I've used WD40 as well to help the bead slide in on a road side flat repair. At home I also use silicone detail spray like SC1, it smells just like urinal cakes...

I finally started to tackle the rats nest of PO gently caress up wire splices on my DRZ and wire up a new set of Zeta hand guard mounted turn signals. I also started installing a Vapor computer kit with dashboard. All the electrical wiring is taken care of now and it feels better after removing at least 6 feet of extra wire from behind the headlight. I wish I were exaggerating .

Now I am waiting for the correct temp sensor. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and I can make a big push to finish the headlight area.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I finally got it after i popped the bead off 75% of that side, sprayed some windex on it, and pumped it up to about 45psi.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Watsabi posted:

No such thing as "too much lube." I've used WD40 as well to help the bead slide in on a road side flat repair. At home I also use silicone detail spray like SC1, it smells just like urinal cakes...

I finally started to tackle the rats nest of PO gently caress up wire splices on my DRZ and wire up a new set of Zeta hand guard mounted turn signals. I also started installing a Vapor computer kit with dashboard. All the electrical wiring is taken care of now and it feels better after removing at least 6 feet of extra wire from behind the headlight. I wish I were exaggerating .

Now I am waiting for the correct temp sensor. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and I can make a big push to finish the headlight area.

Isn't it a bad idea to use petroleum-based lube on rubber?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sometimes in a pinch, a bad idea is better than no idea.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Removed side reflectors from forks
Installed plate relocation kit
Installed swing arm plugs

I like the way this is coming together.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
drat, that is gorgeous! Nice work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

I like the way this is coming together.

Same. That's a good looking bike, I kind of regret not holding out for one but eh, instant gratification and all.

I ball-gagged baffled the Duc, myself, as well as flushing out the fluids last Saturday. It's already much more tolerable and I won't feel like a lovely guy if I stroll in past 9PM through the apartment complex. The real reason, though is the local PD is full of bored cops that patrol literally every street near my complex (this week alone I have seen no less than 10 people pulled over) and although heavy police presence makes stealing my bike a bitch, it also makes me target #1 to every cop nearby with those de-baffled carbon Termis. I was desperate to get the baffles installed before I'm volun-told to make a hefty donation to the local PD for doing 3 over the limit.

I am pretty sure I cross-threaded one of the little hex screws but it needed the baffles so bad that I don't really care at this point. I'll probably end up yanking them out and modding them in a little while anyways, so all I need is a die and we're golden.

The oil is almost jet-black so I need to wait until next week to get a new bottle of Motul 300V in (haha gently caress you, Ducati, for requiring full synthetic 15W-50 that nobody nearby stocks) and even though the bike doesn't call for an oil change until 15k on the clock, I'd feel a heck of a lot better to do it now. I also need to find a way to set the sag on this thing alone or possibly look up a suspension shop nearby and seek their guidance. I need a refresher on what rebound and compression damping do to your handling, but all my motorcycle books are about 1,000 miles away. :(