Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

qbert posted:

Literally every decision you make in a Magic game is based on percentages.

Actually, yeah. The marginal odds are always relevant. The trap is when you're concentrating on the marginal factors to the detriment of more significant ones. Like, when you're building your monocolored deck and put fetches in for the thinning. Thinning is still a thing that happens, but it's overshadowed by more important things like having less life to work with. However, once you're actually there playing a game, and you're confronted with the decision to crack a fetch right now or next turn, the only difference is deck thinning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Well no the point of the article is that there's also the factor of stuff you've scryed to the bottom.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

People want deck thinning to be a thing so bad, and I have to ask why? Is it just really that hard to let go of a conclusion you came to? Do you secretly wish to run less than 20 lands in all decks? What is the reason, "deck thinning is actually better in spite of math" people?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

So is buying a box of MM2015 the same as buying a box of a standard set in that it'll generally be more economical to spend the money on singles from the set?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
SSL is starting in a few minutes. LSV and Brad Nelson chatting on stream right now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Corte posted:

So is buying a box of MM2015 the same as buying a box of a standard set in that it'll generally be more economical to spend the money on singles from the set?

Buying singles is always the cheapest way to assemble whatever deck you want to build. Buying a box of modern masters is better value than normal if you like to play limited though!

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

rabidsquid posted:

People want deck thinning to be a thing so bad, and I have to ask why? Is it just really that hard to let go of a conclusion you came to? Do you secretly wish to run less than 20 lands in all decks? What is the reason, "deck thinning is actually better in spite of math" people?

People put Sylvan Library in their legacy decks for the privilege of paying 4 life for a spell, you can also accomplish a similar thing by putting fetch lands in your deck without ever having to cast a 2 mana enchantment.

e: also as a mathematician I take issue with the idea that it's mathematically settled because a guy did a computer simulation.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Starving Autist posted:

People put Sylvan Library in their legacy decks for the privilege of paying 4 life for a spell, you can also accomplish a similar thing by putting fetch lands in your deck without ever having to cast a 2 mana enchantment.

e: also as a mathematician I take issue with the idea that it's mathematically settled because a guy did a computer simulation.

Sylvan Library lets you break the action economy and a fetchland doesn't, I guess they don't teach action economy in mathematician school.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
First round feature match is Gerry Thompson on Unwritten Dragon Ramp vs. Brad Nelson on No Testing Exact 75 Mardu Dragons From The GP. Also Randy's connection died again this week.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

4 life for a spell is a better exchange rate than 1 life for 1/10th of a spell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Starving Autist posted:

Please do not compare running fetches in your mono color deck to Sylvan Library TIA

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

4 life for a spell is a better exchange rate than 1 life for 1/10th of a spell.
Also note that Sylvan library gives you card selection for free and also actual genuine card advantage if you pay

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

rabidsquid posted:

Sylvan Library lets you break the action economy and a fetchland doesn't, I guess they don't teach action economy in mathematician school.

I googled that and yeah, I didn't have to learn anything about Dungeons & Dragons to earn my PhD.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Also you can use Sylvan Library to draw land and spells at the same time, draw multiple lands to get through them in one turn, and protect a draw from Mind Sculptor. I've done all of these before. It's pretty cool.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

rabidsquid posted:

It is a thing though. A tiny thing that isn't worth paying 1 life for, to be sure; but if you're already in a game where you know you're going to use that fetchland (and what you're going to get with it) it's literally free to do it now instead of after your draw step to get that tiny edge. A benefit with no cost is worth taking, even if it's small.

It's literally the same reasoning as to why you break your fetchland before casting Dissolve (even when you don't need the mana from the fetch). If you reject one you have to reject the other.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Starving Autist posted:

I googled that and yeah, I didn't have to learn anything about Dungeons & Dragons to earn my PhD.

Okay, well get this. Normally you're only allowed to draw one card a turn in MTG, but with Sylvan Library you get to draw more. It's like using fetchlands, actually,

Jabor posted:

It is a thing though. A tiny thing that isn't worth paying 1 life for, to be sure; but if you're already in a game where you know you're going to use that fetchland (and what you're going to get with it) it's literally free to do it now instead of after your draw step to get that tiny edge. A benefit with no cost is worth taking, even if it's small.

It's literally the same reasoning as to why you break your fetchland before casting Dissolve (even when you don't need the mana from the fetch). If you reject one you have to reject the other.

People seem to be emotionally invested in the idea though, quite a lot get angry and start comparing it to Sylvan Library if it's pointed out the dubious value of fetches in a deck that doesn't get any value beyond "thinning."

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 6, 2015

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The simulation (if we're talking about Johnson's Monte Carlo article here) also focused almost exclusively on using fetchlands in mono-colored aggro decks and ignored color-fixing, graveyard filling, etc. Didn't even scratch the surface of card-draw spells and effects on thinning.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mr. Jive posted:

The simulation (if we're talking about Johnson's Monte Carlo article here) also focused almost exclusively on using fetchlands in mono-colored aggro decks and ignored color-fixing, graveyard filling, etc. Didn't even scratch the surface of card-draw spells and effects on thinning.

I agree that when discussing using fetches for other reasons that there is value, but that's not what I was talking about!

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Now I'm not saying "put fetches in every deck always YOLO" but I think there theoretically are decks where the thinning (which admittedly is very marginal) is worth the life loss.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Action economy isn't named such in Magic theory but the concepts are very much there. We usually call it tempo. It's still about trying to make your actions more effective than your opponent's.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Unwritten Dragons :allears:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Wrapter's deck is a 3-card combo that doesn't even guarantee a win.

Conifer Strider + Become Immense + Temur Battle Rage.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

Now I'm not saying "put fetches in every deck always YOLO" but I think there theoretically are decks where the thinning (which admittedly is very marginal) is worth the life loss.

Name a single deck / format where the card you draw on turn X is worth the life you paid for it consistently.

The fact that you compare it to Sylvan Library is pretty telling that you don't play enough with Sylvan Library to understand it's regular use cases or why it's different than paying 4 life to not draw a land many turns later.

Fetches have a ton of useful things they do besides just fix mana that encourage their play in monocolored decks but playing them exclusively for the thinning is not something I think any deck will ever want.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

qbert posted:

Wrapter's deck is a 3-card combo that doesn't even guarantee a win.

Conifer Strider + Become Immense + Temur Battle Rage.

All the jokes on LSV's stream last night about Wrapter not having a deck are a lot funnier now.

edit: "Cuneo's deck is doing exactly what it's designed to do... cast a lot of cantrips and not actually do anything at all"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Swagger Dagger posted:

All the jokes on LSV's stream last night about Wrapter not having a deck are a lot funnier now.

"Cuneo is winning without really doing anything."

I love LSV coming up with really complicated lines and Efro is like "I am sure some of what you said is true but I don't really care."

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 6, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Holy poo poo, Wrapter won with the combo. Love it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Standard Super League is the best. I'm going to send a tweet to Randy and see if they could do a "no rares" week, although I guess that would just be everyone playing mono red or heroic.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Corte posted:

I think the likely answer is yes, but there is a small chance that it stirs up enough interest in Modern that it increases demand enough that the EV of the packs ends up higher than MSRP.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Someone in the SSL chat said that Josh's deck cost about 4 drafts on MTGO, and seeing the deck, I believe him.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Please just let LSV and EFro commentate every week. And only feature jank matchups. The amount of making GBS threads on both these decks is glorious.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Sigma-X posted:

Name a single deck / format where the card you draw on turn X is worth the life you paid for it consistently.

The fact that you compare it to Sylvan Library is pretty telling that you don't play enough with Sylvan Library to understand it's regular use cases or why it's different than paying 4 life to not draw a land many turns later.

Fetches have a ton of useful things they do besides just fix mana that encourage their play in monocolored decks but playing them exclusively for the thinning is not something I think any deck will ever want.

I think it's mainly for super aggressive decks with fewer than 20 lands. Maybe the line is actually 16 or 17 lands, I don't know. With those decks, drawing extra lands is just the worst, so paying life to minimize that seems worth it at a certain point.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
These decks were assembled from draft leavings on their MTGO account, so they don't sully their actual decks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Pharohman777 posted:

These decks were assembled from draft leavings on their MTGO account, so they don't sully their actual decks.

Wrapter didn't even have the cards for his deck and had to ask LSV how to trade in MODO.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rabidsquid posted:

Wrapter didn't even have the cards for his deck and had to ask LSV how to trade in MODO.

That is the best part, really.

Edit: and strength of the fallen on den protector lets Cuneo tie it up in our kitchen table edition of SSL.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 6, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

And Cuneo wins Game 2 buy triggering Strength of the Fallen on his Den Protector, then putting a Nighthowler on it to swing a 24/23.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't care if I'm just fanboying out, I could listen to LSV commentate anything

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Anybody else not surprised to see this deck displayed on a table that looks to be dumpster dived?

http://imgur.com/a/k3d0a

Nice Bolts. :smuggo:

I'm not quite there unfortunately. The Clique and Bolt are the most tilting things.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

Unwritten Dragons :allears:

Is that the RG deck that uses see the unwritten to land Atarkas?

edit, right stream is up. yeah it is.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 6, 2015

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Apparently on Star City, Lightning Bolts are $2 a pop. Surely they can't be that rare? I've got like 20 or so from a local shop that I bought for that much because they had so many of em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

EatinCake posted:

Apparently on Star City, Lightning Bolts are $2 a pop. Surely they can't be that rare? I've got like 20 or so from a local shop that I bought for that much because they had so many of em.

Its less that it is rare and more that it is one of the more popular cards in modern and is incredibly splashable with several decks running it.

• Locked thread