Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
50% of today's matches feel like they come down to land issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

EatinCake posted:

Apparently on Star City, Lightning Bolts are $2 a pop. Surely they can't be that rare? I've got like 20 or so from a local shop that I bought for that much because they had so many of em.

It is literally the most-played card in modern.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I want to make a Den Howler deck

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

EatinCake posted:

Apparently on Star City, Lightning Bolts are $2 a pop. Surely they can't be that rare? I've got like 20 or so from a local shop that I bought for that much because they had so many of em.

I really shouldn't be, it's been printed at common like 8 times and shown up in numerous supplemental products. Then again, it's a 4-of in multiple decks in every format where it's legal and it hasn't been printed since M11 and the player base has grown hugely in the last 5 years.

I still use my beaten up Revised ones, they're practically the only cards I still have from back then that are still good.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

50% of today's matches feel like they come down to land issues.

Come to Legacy :butthead:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Its kind of bull poo poo that wotc would do this reprint just to counteract the incredibly powerful Signal the Rats deck in Modern

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

I really shouldn't be, it's been printed at common like 8 times and shown up in numerous supplemental products. Then again, it's a 4-of in multiple decks in every format where it's legal and it hasn't been printed since M11 and the player base has grown hugely in the last 5 years.

I still use my beaten up Revised ones, they're practically the only cards I still have from back then that are still good.

I also wouldn't be surprised if, precisely because there are so many of them out there, SCG figures that anyone looking for a bolt in the first place is likely to be the person who suddenly realize they lost/tossed out/left at home all their bolts and needs them quickly to finish their decklist before the tournament. After all, going to SCG for a card that you should have had two dozen of in a shoebox for years is something of a last resort for most people. So you might as well charge $2 instead of $.50 and make the most out of that occasional and inelastic form of demand.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

What's the card on the right?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

cheetah7071 posted:

What's the card on the right?

Dispatch.

(Tap target creature, Metalcraft - exile it instead)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Surgical is one of my pet cards so I'm happy to see a reprint (even though I already have a playset :v:)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Partial Octopus posted:

Come to Legacy :butthead:

.... The format where you'll draw 9 lands by turn 6 in your 18 land deck 2 games in a row even after 2 Ponders and a Brainstorm.

You missed a pretty hot streak from me last week let me tell you!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Flip it or rip it, live

http://www.twitch.tv/bmillive

:negative:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

They're only up to 2 Dragonlord Dromoka shredded. But hey, only one of them was a foil! :downs:

C-Euro posted:

Surgical is one of my pet cards so I'm happy to see a reprint (even though I already have a playset :v:)

Its not a bad card, its just a card you'll be annoyed to open in draft because it doesn't do anything in draft. It does give me a little hope that Inkmoth Nexus could be in the set though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 6, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

They're only up to 2 Dragonlord Dromoka shredded. But hey, only one of them was a foil! :downs:

They will not be missed

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thank you for this link. Most entertaining magic I've seen in a long time. Started just in time to see a sweet ojutai getting ripped.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yawn

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Can I use this to cast Nameless Inversion from my graveyard

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Done for better 5-color EDH commanders?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GoutPatrol posted:

Done for better 5-color EDH commanders?

Every card in MM2 is a reprint, so it's not like it's bringing anything new to the casual scene.

It's also pretty unplayable in Limited unless Elementals is a deck and has a lot of fixing. Though given Horde I would expect to see Smokebraider making an appearance.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

rabidsquid posted:

Can I use this to cast Nameless Inversion from my graveyard

Crib Swap, too.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jabor posted:

It's also pretty unplayable in Limited unless Elementals is a deck and has a lot of fixing. Though given Horde I would expect to see Smokebraider making an appearance.

Elementals is the UR theme, it's still terrible

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

mfcrocker posted:

Elementals is the UR theme, it's still terrible

did they post the draft archetypes somewhere?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Molybdenum posted:

did they post the draft archetypes somewhere?

Think they mentioned the UR one in Maro's design article. Don't think the full list is out

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, it looks like we're getting the liege cycle.

Does this kill our chances of getting the filter lands, then?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlternateNu posted:

how do we know we're getting the whole cycle?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

AlternateNu posted:

No way is the whole cycle in; maybe Wilt-Leaf and Deathbringer. This is in because it fits with the B/G archetype. Maybe Worm Harvest will be back as well.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

AlternateNu posted:

Earlier in the thread someone pointed out the land spot between eye of ugin and eldrazi temple only left a (very) few cards and I don't think any were the filter lands.

Edit: I guess there is still room in the number crunch for half of the cycle but it seems like a waste when they could be in a standard environment with no problems.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 6, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

No way is the whole cycle in; maybe Wilt-Leaf and Deathbringer. This is in because it fits with the B/G archetype. Maybe Worm Harvest will be back as well.

Good point. I haven't actually read the archetype article MaRo posted.

Molybdenum posted:

Earlier in the thread someone pointed out the land spot between eye of ugin and eldrazi temple only left a (very) few cards and I don't think any were the filter lands.

Edit: I guess there is still room in the number crunch for half of the cycle but it seems like a waste when they could be in a standard environment with no problems.

I was convinced they were going to reprint the filter lands until that was pointed out. There is no reason for half of them to be $20+.

Edit: Well. We got one of the artifact man-lands.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 6, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Basically this set's goal seems to be to make Affinity and Tron cost the same as a Standard T1 deck...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

qbert posted:

And Cuneo wins Game 2 buy triggering Strength From the Fallen on his Den Protector, then putting a Nighthowler on it to swing a 24/23.
Fixed for those of us who need to look up that card.

I cannot ever shut up about Nighthowler because I love it so much. Or rather, I love how I can surprise people with it and just win a game/match because hardly anyone ever plays it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

Basically this set's goal seems to be to make Affinity and Tron cost the same as a Standard T1 deck...

That is good cuz I know a lot of people who are disappointed by the new block structure and would rather play a semi-eternal format.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Let us discuss all the reasons this could be bad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Let us discuss all the reasons this could be bad.

It's not bad at all. The more people playing modern, the better.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lol if MM and the new block system backfires on WOTC dunno who's dumb enough to play a format that changes decks every 6 months and is still v expensive

Reminds me of warhams

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Lol if MM and the new block system backfires on WOTC dunno who's dumb enough to play a format that changes decks every 6 months and is still v expensive

Reminds me of warhams

I doubt the number of people who will stop playing standard because of MM15 is all that big.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

I doubt the number of people who will stop playing standard because of MM15 is all that big.

Not only b/c of MM, but it's a good reason. If standard doesn't wither due to the sped up cycle I'm still fine with that cuz that means faster turnovers on specs for board games and x wangs

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Untrue.

No Tronlands yet. :colbert:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Saw on tumblr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For a second I thought Rob Alexander was painting for MtG again (I think he isn't), but it's old art.

• Locked thread