Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Bubbacub posted:

I haven't played TIE Fighter in a while, were traitor Imperial forces still red or did they change color?

They were still red. It made those missions a little more hectic. It was a neat touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Everyone madly posting about enemy colours is probably on the spectrum anyhow.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The solution is to just make everything red. Enemies, friendlies, asteroids, ship models, space dust, sky box, etc. Then it won't matter if I don't know what I'm shooting at because at least I'm shooting things in space.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I think all ships should have iron sights just like WWI era planes and NO HUD at all. You should really be able to discern friend from foe just by the shape of the vessel. I can't believe I have to explain this to you bunch of casuals.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Making it so the player can identify enemies by profile is a thing in modern game design too.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

TheDemon posted:

Making it so the player can identify enemies by profile is a thing in modern game design too.

The game does this too -- both sides have silhouette styles that are different and also work to show you orientation.

The console command is mostly in, so maybe we can focus on the numerous other things I'm gonna screw up. :)

Orange

X-Wing

TIE

kedo posted:

The solution is to just make everything red. Enemies, friendlies, asteroids, ship models, space dust, sky box, etc. Then it won't matter if I don't know what I'm shooting at because at least I'm shooting things in space.

Done!

I also want to make a :catdrugs: mode for Tycho.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
For what it's worth, when I watched one of your streams, it was easy to pick up that the green, blue, and yellow symbols/blips were your enemies based solely on the fact that they were out there somewhere else and the red blips stuck close to you. This was before I even realized you play as the bad guys.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kairo posted:

It's not that these people are idiots. And it's not JUST the trade show people that have trouble with it (please stop fixating on this). I've gotten this feedback from several other testers who play it quite a bit. They TOTALLY get it when they are just flying around. Their problems materialize in snap decision situations (seeing something flying at you) because it's just reflex to shoot at red.
I'm going to agree with Kairo here. There's all this talk about how hardcore gamers are smart and can figure things out, but it is these very hardcore gamers who will have gone through the most mental training that red = shoot.

There are lots of things that can be done with the art style to show that you = bad guys while still having enemy target indicators be red. Ally ships don't have to be marked with green just because enemies are red, either. What about purple or blue or something?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I specifically don't think about video games from a design standpoint, so I'm not even sure if that was a real post or I was briefly possessed.

Red is fine.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If I knew it would be this easy to pressure you into doing things I would have asked for an "enable ship boobs" option so I wouldn't have to go to the trouble of modding boobs in myself. :colbert:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Kairo posted:

I also can't really tell if some you guys are jokeposting anymore (except for Muffet, who will soon become self aware and start global thermonuclear war).

I know I'm extra frustrating, because my favorite jokes are ones where you're sarcastic until it wraps back around to the literal truth. John Oliver/Stephen Colbert kind of stuff. Not that I'm hilarious to anyone but myself. But you know. It's the internet.

Real Talk: I like your game for its unusual aesthetic. Yes it reminds me of homeworld. It also has this vaguely punk-rock cartoon thing going on that I enjoy. The reality is that I have seen pretty starship games for years. At any given moment there are a dozen guys 'rescuing' the genre, and they are almost all really fun games. So trying your best to be the most usable spaceship simulator doesn't do anything for me. I don't think the color of enemies or friendlies is a design decision. I've shot at the wrong thing in a split second a million times in games and I'll do it a million more times before I die. Whether I play a game at all can depend on how it looks to me, and that's the case here. So that's one guys opinion about this.

But in my additional 'who cares what I think' 2 cents, I am a ux designer and ui dev for a living, and I've seen people spin their wheels on poo poo like this *so* many times. It becomes a case of target fixation. Instead of being what it is; something you probably can't solve simply, guys will invent this narrative of the worst case scenario and how it's the only case scenario because everybody only ever sits down to use a product and throws it away if they don't like it in the first few minutes. It's reasonably true, but it does nothing to explain the countless examples of lovely, confusing design that persist and put no dent in people's use of products. MMOs are an entire *genre* that has made bad design an element of gameplay that people expect. In fact, the few cases where they have improved it has lead to a backlash where people want MMOs that have crappier interfaces and engagement loops. So at a certain point its pissing up a rope.

The tunnel vision starts to set in and otherwise smart people get stuck thinking about a color or a button shape as the Most Important Decision To Be Made.

There's plenty of other approaches to the friendlies vs enemies thing. In some games, only friendlies have the privilege of a 'health bar', whereas enemies are all naked (or visa versa), thus calling them out in a more fundamental way. Sometimes, friendlies get an extension from your HUD that ties them visually into your identity. Say, they get a line coming up from the bottom of the screen pointing at them and a name "Wing Cmdr. Pacquiao >>> Status: OK", so that, regardless of their color, the extra information or shape makes it obvious. You could tag friendlies with cool little flight jacket patches that signify they're on your side without changing the color palette. You could give them a special outline (presumably from your sensors) that indicates they're friends. You could try to imitate real world friend or foe systems, by having a kind of infra-red 'flasher' thing that calls your attention to their status--kind of like how C130 gunships see infrared lights on friendly troops and know not to shoot them (since otherwise they'd have no idea).

The old fashioned way is to make friend and foe look alike, but give them distinct designs--so that reading the silhouette is part of your job. You can also change something other than the lettering color. In Star Wars, the good guys shot red lasers in space, and the bad guys shot green lasers. I guess on the ground the bad guys shot red lasers and the good guys shot blue ones? Until the prequels, then I have no idea.

Bad guys could shellaque their craft in gold leaf as part of their decadent imperialist thing. They could all have big Romulan eagles painted on their boats. Their craft could have a dull, subtle red lens effect painted at a z index 'behind' the ships that billboards and suggests that they're up to no good.

blah blah blah. I like how the colors are. I want something different, and weird. That's why I was attracted to this game in the first place.
fake edit: oh I sperged too long and people already said stuff. Whelp.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

MMOs are an entire *genre* that has made bad design an element of gameplay that people expect. In fact, the few cases where they have improved it has lead to a backlash where people want MMOs that have crappier interfaces and engagement loops. So at a certain point its pissing up a rope.

Could you point out what these are? I'm genuinely curious.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I know I'm extra frustrating, because my favorite jokes are ones where you're sarcastic until it wraps back around to the literal truth.

You're not frustrating! Please don't stop posting like you do. The same goes for everyone when they see something they don't like. It's important. This solution also helps me sort of solve colorblindness issues, which is why it was important enough to fix right away.

Back at Bungie, there was a team of kickass UI/UX designers and researchers whose job it was to hammer on HUD/readability stuff ALL DAY for most of the (multi-year) project. It really shows. This is par for almost every other big dev I know of. I don't have that luxury, so I tend to go with efficient (if hamfisted) solutions to problems like this along with more subtle things like silhouettes. There's also a time constraint -- as I really do want to get the game in people's hands ASAP, and spinning wheels on issues I don't have to is something I try to avoid (stop laughing).

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Instead of being what it is; something you probably can't solve simply, guys will invent this narrative of the worst case scenario and how it's the only case scenario because everybody only ever sits down to use a product and throws it away if they don't like it in the first few minutes. It's reasonably true, but it does nothing to explain the countless examples of lovely, confusing design that persist and put no dent in people's use of products.

I hear you -- I generally group software like Office (or 3DSMax). I get confused as hell finding things with the Office ribbon, but my wife uses that software all day and you just get used to the weird UX decisions. At the end of the day, people learn it because it's either worth it or they have no other choice.

If I had extra time/people/money it would be awesome to select villain/hero mode and leave the gameplay relatively untouched but change the coloring, some AI behaviors, intros, and more because I really think there's something cool about subverting player expectations (as Timn said). AND showing that the good/bad guys depends on your point of view.

EDIT: Neat list of other art that does this: http://io9.com/10-best-science-fiction-stories-where-humans-are-the-mo-1403055457

Kairo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 5, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kairo posted:

Orange

X-Wing

TIE

Done!

Just make these options in the config menu and move on. Then tell us all that implementing it will take two extra weeks. :v:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Bubbacub posted:

I haven't played TIE Fighter in a while, were traitor Imperial forces still red or did they change color?

Speaking of which..a game project just started in KS called "starfighter inc." by some of the X-Wing/TIE Fighter devs.

Kairo...you got an enemy "starfighter" game coming..XD

(just kidding, its supposed to be a team based PvP arena space sim)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

Speaking of which..a game project just started in KS called "starfighter inc." by some of the X-Wing/TIE Fighter devs.

Kairo...you got an enemy "starfighter" game coming..XD

(just kidding, its supposed to be a team based PvP arena space sim)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/impellerstudios/starfighter-inc

EDIT: Linking this doesn't mean I still won't throw money at you, Kairo.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

This looks cool! I wonder if they can get guys like Holland on board, or Bill Morrison who teaches up here at Digipen these days.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Kairo posted:

The game does this too -- both sides have silhouette styles that are different and also work to show you orientation.

The console command is mostly in, so maybe we can focus on the numerous other things I'm gonna screw up. :)

Orange

X-Wing

TIE

Done!

...let's all bitch about colors some more so we can get more awesome hi-res screenshots out of Kairo.

Seriously though, I like the Orange set. The enemies are well-defined, nobody uses quite that shade of blue for friendlies- when I see them, I think 'faction' rather than 'friendly'. And character issues aside, I just like orange as a HUD color and I would personally be quite happy to have my guys be orange, for whatever that's worth.

Edit: That said, I don't mean to overstate how important this is to my opinion of the game. If orange is still too illegible against similarly themed backgrounds, gently caress it, do what you gotta. I'm open-minded, a game doesn't have to conform to the specific details of my initial impressions for me to enjoy it for what it turns out to be.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 5, 2015

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Enemy Starfighter vs Starfighter Inc. Hm, who is going to keep their name and who will get Iron Brigaded?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I hope I am neither being naive nor assuming you are naive, Kairo, but have you trademarked your title?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Coincidentally, the faction with the blue primary color has consistently had the highest rate of friendly fire across tens of thousands of players.

That may have something to do with Higby's Heroes being an NR (blue) outfit, and being full of Goons. Just saying.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kairo posted:

Orange

X-Wing

TIE

Done!

Looking pretty good. Are these set up so that the user is specifying what colors they want friendly/enemies to be through console commands, or are they "themes" where we enter a command that selects a preconfigured one?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

pun pundit posted:

Could you point out what these are? I'm genuinely curious.

Well, one example would be the quest loop.

So.

In terms of being a UX guy, you look at what you're doing to your user, and your cost to produce it, and try to figure out what will make the most of your effort in terms of their experience.

Quests from the EQ era barely let you know they even existed. You had to talk to people at random and maybe they would give you something to do. In Wow era, they 'improved' this by making all quest givers have a thing over their heads. You generally still had to read instructions and infer from them where to go. Players made mods which turned this process into something like Tom-Tom or whatever other GPS style interface. Now, you can typically wander anywhere (e.g. in guild wars 2, Wildstar, or even older ones like WAR/Champions Online/Neverwinter), and as you wander around, *if* you're in an area that has a quest, you will often be informed that you can complete it (and how, and your tally if there's a tally), and once that happens, you'll be shown who to talk to to get your reward. Rarely you get a drop at your feet or in the context of the environment.

There's a huge problem with this system. It is completely async.

So you have no idea when a player will come through, where they'll be. When or if they'll get tagged for your quests in a certain order. You don't know if they'll see what you'd thought they'd notice (multiplied by the number of separate things that they might be questing for and multiplied again by the number of other people in the area who might also be doing something that either distracts or preempts them).

Now, they've done a ton of cool tech work to get around *pieces* of this problem. Events that escalate free form depending on the people in the area. Allowing 'phasing' where people don't interfere with each other, but still letting them come into the same areas without a loading screen or artificial barrier. And of course, dungeons where you go somewhere, put up a sign saying 'hey lets play this thing' and then random people play it with you. They even went so far as to let you just be whereever... doing whatever, and suddenly you're teleported into the dungeon (again, async, allowing you to join a dungeon already in progress).

Quests/dungeons (with other quests) generally all are segmented by region, and the regions are all set up to represent a level bracket. More or less. Some games are cool enough to remove those barriers ('level' is another one of the things I'd say is an MMO senseless preoccupation--at least when it's in the context of locking a certain set of player options behind a time-barrier that has no definitive purpose other than to provide a drip-feed of the-same-power-you-already-had-but-a-better-version or, in the really annoying cases, 48-hour-tutorial-mode).

But here's the thing. If people are basically flying through your poo poo, because *you're* in a position of saying 'I've got this many assets, and this much world, and I want them to spend this much time in various spots before they can get to the next--so I need to keep my 'quest' structure light and easy for me to spawn 1000s of quests out of it'. The result is you make 10 quests that are 'gather 20 things' or 'kill 40 guys', both of which are actually 'kill 100 guys', just disguised behind the fact that the first one takes place around enemies or the second one takes place in an area where only some enemies are the 'right' kind. Better modern MMOs layer their quests in so deep, and make accepting quests so smooth that you *basically* end up being told 'spend 15 minutes in this village, clicking on everything you can click on and killing anything that moves'.

But people love quests. They like the idea of it, anyway. They like the idea of a narrative. But if I said, 'reduce quests into a badge system that has specific rewards, and take them out of circulation as a reason to get out in the world'--pushing what the game looks like closer to a fighting game, tower defense, or Dota style game, people would say 'well that's not an MMO. An MMO is where you quest and level up.'

Possibly. I think as it stands now, you could, at the very least, have a series of singular NPCs, rather than dozens, who point you toward a very, very long term goal, and use phasing with specific gates as the only kind of 'quest' experience. So that, by the time people have gone through the woods, to the temple, unlocked the door in the basement, fought the waves of whatever that are in front of the treasure, stolen the treasure, and come back out to find oozes destroying the forest--they've done their quota of time, and didn't have to 'collect 40 things' or 'kill a minimum of blah' or 'defeat the thing' or 'get widget from the sacred whoosiwhatsits and bring it back to me'.

But all that is still in there. Every MMO assaults you with dozens if not hundreds of small-tasks. Some argue that it's because small tasks produce frequent rewards that make you think you're making progress. Sure. But you can produce those frequent rewards in other ways. It can be as silly and simple as the equivalent of a shooting game's announcer yelling 'KILLING STREAK'. In an RPG that might be a whispered voice from a ghost saying 'thank you' or an evil monster yelling out in anger that you're thwarting their plans. Or the voice of your fantasy-god praising you for bringing light into the world. It doesn't *have* to be NPC saying 'good job doing that thing. Now come back and I'll tell you about more things you can do'.

They've focused on streamlining the process of doing trivial things, not removing triviality from your experience. Because doing trivial things that gradually escalate into epic (but still trivial (find the shards of the dragon god's egg!)) scale is what MMOs are about.

Other MMO things that suck but are verboten to change:
- there's dozens of simple games that are very accessible with simple controls. You *could* make the basic controls of an MMO like those. Instead, they persist in being the controls for a first person shooter, except with little or no need to aim (depending), and all actions locked behind cooldown timers. In many cases, those timers have little or no relationship to the behavior of your character. Some MMOs like Planetside are shooters. Or space sims like star conflict. Or weird hybrids like star trek. Or even the one who's name I forget that's like a beat em up. But they all keep up this strictly limited palette of how information is presented and how the control of your character feels (generally floaty and built around travel times and cooldowns, rather than the bread and butter gameplay).

- Addiction loop with leveling. There's no reason to gate *everything*. You could let people jump in with a character who can do all the powers and spells that belong to their class, and let them reconfigure at will, and learn at their own pace. But instead, anything that can be gated behind a time investment *is* gated. There are really time-intensive challenges that you could put in the game, that are actual challenges, or scavenger hunts, but instead the player's options are usually what's locked up. And to make matters worse, it produces a spiral of needless additions for addition's sake. I do not need 40 levels to decide that I want my shield-bash to taunt. I *definitely* don't want to spend 60 levels to end up having selected +10% to crit, +100-200 damage per swing, and 3 seconds stun duration when I used skill X. If I was a useful healer at level 10 with 1 heal skill, then when I'm capped, I'm not sure I need small heal, big heal, regen, heal bomb, and long-cooldown single target instant heal. I *might*. Sure. But apply that across every possible thing I could be doing, and the answer is definitely not. There is nearly always an optimal (and depressingly simple) order to skill use in these games. Ironically, the last time I saw someone try to tackle this, they just gave players an automatically revolving skill bar that would always do A B B A C (or whatever they needed) if they set it up right. Games are rife with examples of people who use keybinds to perform 2-6 button presses simultaneously, yet these powers remain separate for their supposed value in depth as long as there's 100 ways to skin the cat. Yet you look at all the Dota-alikes (who play similarly) and what's the message there (aside from 'make this exactly like Dota except 1 thing because our community is rigid')--that a good, deep, fun experience can be had with just 2-3 skills. And maybe a couple oddball once-in-a-while things. That are even sometimes totally optional. And also sharing similar things across different characters so that players don't have to learn arbitrarily different styles of achieving the same thing (and which frequently escalates into the devs making similar-but-slightly-different things available to every single class, thereby diluting the giant pool of samey-same powers for powers sake).

- Travel time as a feature (or punishment). My bias: Hotline Miami is the perfect amount of death punishment and level traversal speed vs level size. But even if you aren't at my crack-level of intolerance, there's just idiotic compromises made. For example, you allow your characters to travel instantly to any of dozens of important points in your world. Yet they must walk down the same set of stairs, long hallway, or through the same set of corridors every time before they're near the things they care about. Maybe you eventually make a hub area that's super-convenient. But leave all the old, inconvenient hubs intact. And all the content that requires them is left intact too. You *could* just set up some more specific insta-movement options, but that hardly ever happens. Arial tours of virtual landscape that are a requirement are frequent. In some cases take 10 or 20 minutes. And the player even pays a virtual sum which adds invisible time in the form of the time it takes to make the money you need. Though, in most cases, the cost becomes trivial or irrelevant. So you have this system of trams that is *just* an inconvenience with a time sink involved, yet you have given your players the tools to circumvent it. The examples sound wow-like, but there's versions of it all over the place. Especially weird is the latest twist where you 'avoid' death punishment by standing up in place, but there's a limit on how often you can do it, or a short timer, or an additional penalty, like how you might not be able to find a spot to stand up. It's like... which is it? Is this a game where it doesn't matter if I die occasionally or not? Either you start me at the beginning of some experience, or you reset my progress some other way. What is the charm of making me traverse the same landscape without challenge--just to get back to where I was... but only *sometimes*? There's no clear vision of what travel is supposed to be doing for you as a player. Pacing is out the window, because of all the other things going on to make your time in game more efficient, or let you encounter any content at any time with level scaling or whatever.

- The trinity, and it's concomitant HP balloon way of thinking of the universe (and I'll blame crit % and crit damage on this as well). First of all, it takes all the magic and mystery out of the many *possible* things that could happen. If everything is 'hey is my bar going down faster than the enemy's y/n' then you're a bar watcher. And then the devs work to make the bars easier to watch, and the ways that bars go up or down more obvious and clear. And everything is just a bar at that point. It *was* an orc. Now it's a bar. You only care if it's an 'elite' bar. Or a regular bar. Sometimes the bar will represent the idea of what an interesting enemy might be--for instance because it can stun you, or enrage you, or it can make other bars for you to hit if you don't kill it first. Do you stare at bars in the greatest video games of all time? I say no. But you need bars in your MMO. People would freak out if you said 'just hit this guy a bunch, and this other sword is better, but it's hard to define how much'. What's particularly depressing is that all these numbers basically are in service of players *trying* to one-shot as many things as they can. It's what they want to do. 1-shot. Because your game is about draining bars all day. For hours. So the players want that to take the least amount of time. They want the bar to drain all at once. So that another, different bar can fill. You spend all this effort on this awesome veneer, but people end up abstracting it beyond recognition. You can have win conditions like raising a flag while being opposed, or closing a gate in time, or filling a bucket (pretty close to a bar!) that aren't just about swatting flies. Some MMOs keep a shithouse class of enemy in circulation for the thrill of killing quickly. But they eventually succumb to having big bars. And they usually also fall down on making their horde/disposable enemies interesting.

- The trinity. AGAIN. Because ffs, why do I have to decide I have 2 jobs at character creation, spend 100 hours 'unlocking' the job's full capability, and then decide before every fight that I'm only going to do one job the whole time? There's a lot of cool value in having people who straddle a line, or can be flexible in the middle of a challenge. There's games built around *switching up* what you're doing, not being stuck at it. The idea that someone is the punching bag, someone is the punching bag fixer-upper, and whoever else is there to drain the bars before everybody gets bored is destructive for all kinds of reasons. It obliterates more interesting kinds of relationships, like between ranged and melee. Or between players with positioning ability, vs players with powerful attacks that are awkward to get off correctly. When was the last time you saw a trinity game that had something *like* the cooperation that 3 people in the same vehicle in a shooter had? Or 3 people in different types of vehicles. War Thunder/WoT are an example. They've got an air and a ground game now. At the same time. Nobody 'heals'. Instead it's about threats, their direction, and your plane of competition. Trinity reduces everything to simon says, don't stand on the red spot, hyper-focused specialization.

- The trinity Again. Because new players have to make a decision about playstyle in radically different contexts without knowing what that will mean until they've already invested dozens if not hundreds of hours. Even someone who's done it before doesn't realistically know how it will feel to do their 'favorite job' until they're doing it in each new game. Sure, this guy might look like the reactive tank, but how can you be sure? maybe his reactions don't matter at high level because they don't help enough or the challenges aren't geared toward making that kind of role useful. Or maybe the equipment required to make it work is a chicken and the egg problem, so you actually have to tag along in a *different* job on that character until you get together the stuff that you need to do your favorite job.

Holy christ. I said I was only going to talk about the one thing and now this. I'm very sorry to all of you.

But I'm not deleting this. Sunk cost fallacy.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I agree, MMOs are bad. ;)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

wow was pretty fun in like 2008

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Skoll posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/impellerstudios/starfighter-inc

EDIT: Linking this doesn't mean I still won't throw money at you, Kairo.

Hah, backer only weapons and ships at the $100-$250 range :allears: Still getting a cheap impulse purchase though.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

I laughed when the guy from homefront claimed to be "hardcore gamer" who answers to you the gamer.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Sazabi posted:

I laughed when the guy from homefront claimed to be "hardcore gamer" who answers to you the gamer.

Except for that guy, their team list is solid. $15 bucks for the chance that this won't be a piece of poo poo vaporware game a la Star Citizen isn't so bad.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Skoll posted:

the chance that this won't be a piece of poo poo vaporware game

Starfighter Inc posted:

"PvP only"

Sorry to disappoint you. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I have no interest in a PvP only space fighter game, I don't care how good the pedigrees of the staff are.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I don't particularly trust indie PvP titles most of the time, unless they have a theme that loads of people will jump on, like "WW2" or "yelling at random strangers while slicing off their heads.". Starfighters are nice but I don't think they have that same sort of reach, y'know?

But this has nothing to do with Enemy Starfighter except the title so I don't know where I was going with this. WHAR GAEM AM DYGIN OF THRST

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

We're so starved for Starfighters that even talking about this other game vaguely related only by name helps quell the need, if only a tiny bit.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You could always play Star Conflict (you shouldn't play Star Conflict)

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Thanks, that articulated a lot of the stuff I feel iffy about in MMOs but couldn't really put words to.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah that PnP kickstarter is more an impulse buy while this game right here is something I am actually actively looking forward to and hope does well because it seems cool and worked on by someone who seems allright.

I'm sure I'll be loving terrible at it, but that will be my fault and at least it will be a cool ride while I constantly crash and burn.

MMO mindsets wise, I loving hate daily/weekly timers gating. I had this whole spergin thing here but I'll sum it up with this. Even when I have a lifetime subscription and there is no case of feeling like your subscription time is being wasted, I loving hate the song and dance of babysitting timers for things be it novelty (Please play a month of once a day missions to unlock a few dyes for your pants!) or mechanical (Even if you had an infinite supply of raw dilithium, your daily refinement cap means it would take over a week to refine enough to craft one Blue phaser bank, on top of cracting materials... Oh by the way your cruiser has 8 weapon slots).

Not only do you have to grind, but you have to grind at the pace and times they demand because gently caress you. Even when I'm otherwise actively enjoying myself that poo poo puts me off from playing, because if I just play it when I want to instead of treating it like a job, then I can go get hosed even if I had a stretch of free time where the grand total playtime would meet or exceed all those timer dictated moments put together.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 6, 2015

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Bolow posted:

You could always play Star Conflict (you shouldn't play Star Conflict)

Whoa hey now its not ALL bad, it does have full 6dof and the dogfights can sometimes be interesting. The grind can be uh bad at times but once you understand PVP is for synergy and PVE is for credits it goes better.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

wjs5 posted:

Whoa hey now its not ALL bad, it does have full 6dof and the dogfights can sometimes be interesting. The grind can be uh bad at times but once you understand PVP is for synergy and PVE is for credits it goes better.

I tried it the other night. It seemed pretty nice. I mean grinding is fine if it's fun.

Is it fun? I can't tell yet.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Section Z posted:

Not only do you have to grind, but you have to grind at the pace and times they demand because gently caress you.

Oh god, when you said this all of a sudden I had flashbacks to Wrath of the Lich King and the daily rep grind for the Sons of Hodir faction to get those god drat shoulder enchants. That entire loving expansion pack's huge collection of daily quests and multiple raid lockouts "Oh hey folks after we finish our 40 man raid we'll split up into 10 mans because the wings dont release fast enough and we need to gear up" god I was having fun at the time but the sheer amount of brainwashing that was required to make me go through all that poo poo "For the Guild" is going to give me nightmares tonight.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sphrin posted:

Oh god, when you said this all of a sudden I had flashbacks to Wrath of the Lich King and the daily rep grind for the Sons of Hodir faction to get those god drat shoulder enchants. That entire loving expansion pack's huge collection of daily quests and multiple raid lockouts "Oh hey folks after we finish our 40 man raid we'll split up into 10 mans because the wings dont release fast enough and we need to gear up" god I was having fun at the time but the sheer amount of brainwashing that was required to make me go through all that poo poo "For the Guild" is going to give me nightmares tonight.

Trigger warning this poo poo, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Enemy Starfighter: MMO PTSD Support Group (also a game about shooting things)

• Locked thread