Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Y'all get to the point where your empire is so monolithic powerful that no one challenges you anymore and you're just so bored you're like "hmm... time to start making people independent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
That's when you switch to another kingdom and watch as the AI destroys your empire from the inside.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Y'all get to the point where your empire is so monolithic powerful that no one challenges you anymore and you're just so bored you're like "hmm... time to start making people independent"
Nah. Thatīs the point where I start giving out kingdoms to random people, dwarves, wrong culture/religion folks or just quit. Bungling can also be quite fun, I bungled a lot in the most recent Byzantine game I was in and it was still hella rad.

One day, I'mma go and actually make tribal Byzantine a reality. Will be magic.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like to give a crusader state to someone then reload the save and play as that person or whatever. Start small again, see how the AI manages to make my carefully crafted empire explode into pieces.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I just double down even more on roleplaying and make all the worst decisions possible. :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Goddamn is converting to Christianity as an unreformed pagan a bigger bitch than it should be.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Funky Valentine posted:

Goddamn is converting to Christianity as an unreformed pagan a bigger bitch than it should be.

Not really? Converting is pretty easy. Surviving afterwards and going feudal is the hard part.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Darth Windu posted:

Not really? Converting is pretty easy. Surviving afterwards and going feudal is the hard part.

Actually, converting while turning feudal can make things way easier. You can freely revoke tribal pagan titles regardless of the laws, so if you're in a strong position relative to your vassals (as you should be when making this transition anyway) you can rearrange huge swathes of your realm.

You still need a shitload of money saved up though.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I am not even sure what I an do next...

Like I directly control a huge empire* (50 units shy of Arabia)

That, despite having high crown authority in all of my kingdoms, didn't revolt even with a 9 year-old king, with his foreign mother as regent.

And that, politically, has control over an even larger swathe of land, since my relatives control the Kingdoms of Ireland, Scotland, Galica and the Dutchy of Brittany, oh and Flanders is on our back pocket and I have an alliance with Denmark and France....

* = I almost never make actual empires. It makes my autism flare.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 5, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am routinely reminded how bad I am at managing ties and fealty in this game.

I've been playing as the Golden Horde and got into a war against Hungary and Poland because apparently they don't like the Tengri. During the fighting I took the second oldest daughter of the King of Hungary, who was also a cousin of the King of Poland, after a battle. Seeing the opportunity to have some fun with the diplomacy mechanics I took her as my concubine and continued to war against the two nations. During this pillaging and warfare the Princess had a child with my ruler and I thought "Oh cool, I may be able to use this later" and then notice that I didn't need to wait to press a claim against the Kingdom of Hungary and Poland. So I used the concubine to press the claim and basically cleaned up the remaining forces with a bit of ease and extended the Mongol lands even more.

Smug in knowing I know owned everything in Eastern Europe and the Eurasian steppes, I went to check out my new demense. Well, turns out I didn't know how the game mechanics worked and the former concubine turned Queen of Hungary & Poland was firmly in power and already remarried with out bastard daughter as the heir apparent. I then spent a bit of time looking up what exactly I did wrong and how I could revert this mistake. Sadly I had to murder my rulers ex-lover, kill her husband, destroy the rest of the nobility and family of the now deceased Queen to put my illegitimate daughter and betrothed her to one of my Kinsman pissing off the Holy Roman Empire in the process.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am not even sure what I an do next...

Like I directly control a huge empire* (50 units shy of Arabia)

That, despite having high crown authority in all of my kingdoms, didn't revolt even with a 9 year-old king, with his foreign mother as regent.

And that, politically, has control over an even larger swathe of land, since my relatives control the Kingdoms of Ireland, Scotland, Galica and the Dutchy of Brittany, oh and Flanders is on our back pocket and I have an alliance with Denmark and France....

* = I almost never make actual empires. It makes my autism flare.

Clean up your borders. Italy is a mess.

Convert to Judaism and form Israel.

Open the East India Company by invading India and installing a Merchant Republic.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Merry Magpie posted:

Clean up your borders. Italy is a mess.

Convert to Judaism and form Israel.

Open the East India Company by invading India and installing a Merchant Republic.

I contemplated the full conquest of Italy, but I am stretching the ability to meet the vassal limit now.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
What are some good starts at the 769 bookmark for a newbie? It's dawned on me that I have played very little vanilla CK2, and the times that I have have either been Irish, Norse, Tribal whatever or some pre-made blob (Karlings/Lombardy, Byz, Muslims) and I would like to find something to actually help me learn how to play the game past a single generation.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Don't start at 769, because it sucks. Start at 1066 as an Irish count. Work your way up to King of Ireland, then Emperor of Brittania. That should last you a good while for more than one generation.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Don't start at 769, because it sucks.

I 've never seen such wrong before..its beautiful. They should've sent a poet

Cool starts in 769: Any Viking, especially svipbod, also southern balkans is a fun pagan/byzantine party zone. Ireland has catholic tribals, england is super divided and probably the most fun england start, Vikings, just play vikings.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Deific Presence posted:

What are some good starts at the 769 bookmark for a newbie? It's dawned on me that I have played very little vanilla CK2, and the times that I have have either been Irish, Norse, Tribal whatever or some pre-made blob (Karlings/Lombardy, Byz, Muslims) and I would like to find something to actually help me learn how to play the game past a single generation.

Karl. He's the main reason for the expansion, you might as well see what the fuss is about. Or pick one of the smaller countries around or in the Francias. Most of the lands of Britannia are also good options.

If you want a challenge, swing over to Afghanistan and pick the Zunbils. Raise the third-worst pagan religion to power. (I'm counting Hellenic and just plain Pagan as worse here)

Or try Marrakech. Tribal Muslims, work your way to a merchant republic. Own all the things. (Muslim rulers can hold temples without penalty, merchant republics naturally hold cities and can hold castles without penalty)

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Ok this is a stupid question and i'm sorry in advance. I've put about 20 hours into CKII and i've been reading the wiki religiously but i am still having trouble fabricating claims. Also once I lose a title on succession what is the best way to reclaim it? Sorry for the newbie question thats probably been covered 100 times but I love the poo poo out of this game so far and want to get better. If it matters i have every expansion except Rajas and Charlemagne.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the great deceiver posted:

Ok this is a stupid question and i'm sorry in advance. I've put about 20 hours into CKII and i've been reading the wiki religiously but i am still having trouble fabricating claim
Go to the council screen, assign a Chancellor, click the Fabricate claim button, click the province you want, wait for him to fabricate a claim. There is no set time that this takes, if you leave him there he has a random chance to fabricate a claim every day. The higher his diplomacy stat, the higher this chance is. Mouse over the button to see how likely he is to manage it within a given year.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Ok this is a stupid question and i'm sorry in advance. I've put about 20 hours into CKII and i've been reading the wiki religiously but i am still having trouble fabricating claims. Also once I lose a title on succession what is the best way to reclaim it? Sorry for the newbie question thats probably been covered 100 times but I love the poo poo out of this game so far and want to get better. If it matters i have every expansion except Rajas and Charlemagne.

Fabricating claims is basically a matter of luck + your chancellor's diplomatic skill (mostly the former). As long as you clicked "Fabricate claim" and then clicked on the desired province, you're doing everything right. If you've played EU4, it's actually not at all like the fabrication process in that game where you just have to wait a given amount of time; here it's much more random. Sometimes you'll successfully fabricate a claim the day after you put your chancellor there, sometimes you won't see a single claim fabricated throughout the life of your ruler.

If you still have a claim on the title that you lost through succession, you can press it through war. Otherwise you'll have to try to regain the title through marriage and assassination shenanigans, or inviting someone else with a claim on the title (can be found via clicking on the territory's icon/crest/coat of arms/whatever) to your court and then pressing their claim rather than your own.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys, thats what i was doing. Thought my chancellor might have a touch of the downs or something cuz he hasnt been able to fabricate poo poo. Yeah I just decided to start a new Ireland game and quickly lost 2 of my counties after my loving emo character died of depression at like 37 so it looks like blood is about to be spilled all over Eire.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
Ugh, I just had an amazing game as Sigurd Ring that went to poo poo in the blink of an eye and didn't save. I managed to subjugate Denmark almost immediately, then most of Sweden, crushed an independence revolt and got a bunch of the good counties to myself. Then I died from too much sex, and apparently I hadn't kept track of exactly how many children I had. Ragnarr ended up with 2 counties and a bunch of vassals that hated him and I just ragequit because apparently autosave had been disabled.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'm playing as the Saffarids and we're insanely powerful, but I know things are still going to get tough when the Il-Khanate shows up.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

We have another Plague Mod update, for those of you who are still interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzmg53wqlfavjxl/enhanced_black_death%20%284%29.zip?dl=0

The big difference for this version is a new outbreak of the plague in 1345, which is around the height of the real life plague.

The other change is that Plague King's revolt risk penalty has been cut to 10% instead of 20%.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Deific Presence posted:

Ugh, I just had an amazing game as Sigurd Ring that went to poo poo in the blink of an eye and didn't save. I managed to subjugate Denmark almost immediately, then most of Sweden, crushed an independence revolt and got a bunch of the good counties to myself. Then I died from too much sex, and apparently I hadn't kept track of exactly how many children I had. Ragnarr ended up with 2 counties and a bunch of vassals that hated him and I just ragequit because apparently autosave had been disabled.

Inheritence by Thunderdome is literally the best thing about being a viking. You have shamed your people.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

jfood posted:

Inheritence by Thunderdome is literally the best thing about being a viking. You have shamed your people.
I've never not been on top of the viking thunderdome, what happens if you get unlanded by a member of your own dynasty? Do you play as them or is it just game over?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I've never not been on top of the viking thunderdome, what happens if you get unlanded by a member of your own dynasty? Do you play as them or is it just game over?

Absolutely no idea. I create as many max levels titles as possible, then pass them out to the kids. Preferably very far away from my primary title holding. Splits things up nicely and removes younger children from the inheritence pool. It's a little difficult to pull off with Sigurdr, but once the later Norse CB's open up, you can pretty much poo poo a kingdom or two every generation and put yourself back under the prepared invasion holding cap.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

I 've never seen such wrong before..its beautiful. They should've sent a poet

Cool starts in 769: Any Viking, especially svipbod, also southern balkans is a fun pagan/byzantine party zone. Ireland has catholic tribals, england is super divided and probably the most fun england start, Vikings, just play vikings.

769 is definitely the go-to date if you want to play in England or a Viking. Anything else is part of a gigantic blob or some tribal shithole and neither of those are much fun for newbies. 1066 Ireland is still the best newbie start, once you've done that or want something more challenging then 1066 Spain is your best bet.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Excuse any spelling mistakes, been drinking...can't really be responsible for that poo poo.

But can you take a pagan, move to a feudal location and be feudal if you give up all your other lands?

I'm kinda...well...meh about tribes. And I wanna know if I can just go ahead and essentially play CKII Old Gods again. Not really enjoying the tribal mechanics.

Alternatively, any mods for that? Or exploits?

I'm just not having fun as tribal. I reform, and suddenly I crumble. Yet I'm more powerful unreformed. Makes no sense to me mechanically. Even with the existing limitations.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Bel Monte posted:

Excuse any spelling mistakes, been drinking...can't really be responsible for that poo poo.

But can you take a pagan, move to a feudal location and be feudal if you give up all your other lands?

I'm kinda...well...meh about tribes. And I wanna know if I can just go ahead and essentially play CKII Old Gods again. Not really enjoying the tribal mechanics.

I'm just not having fun as tribal. I reform, and suddenly I crumble. Yet I'm more powerful unreformed. Makes no sense to me mechanically. Even with the existing limitations.

The Historical Immersion Project mod has a decision to Feudalize Tribes on the very first day of a new game.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Bel Monte posted:

Long term you are far more powerful reformed. Better inheritance laws, better soldiers (your huge tribal armies can be crushed by smaller professional ones) and richer/stronger vassals to take levies from. Reforming means pain and a few steps back now but opening up room to grow into something great.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
So, elective monarchy is a lot more tricky nowadays, isn't it? I've been having a hell of a time getting my vassals to vote for my chosen successor, even though almost all of them are at +100 relations with me due to my great party fixing skills. Are there any other factors beside vassal relations to you and your successor? I'm thinking I could solve it by landing a few more family members, but are there any more reliable ways to influence the election?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Covski posted:

So, elective monarchy is a lot more tricky nowadays, isn't it? I've been having a hell of a time getting my vassals to vote for my chosen successor, even though almost all of them are at +100 relations with me due to my great party fixing skills. Are there any other factors beside vassal relations to you and your successor? I'm thinking I could solve it by landing a few more family members, but are there any more reliable ways to influence the election?

Assassinate all those characters that are more popular than your heir.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Covski posted:

If it's anything like elective gavelkind they changed the way the AI votes. Instead of voting for who you nominate, a character who likes you will just vote for your dynasty. Oftentimes that means vassals that like you will still vote for the second son or something.

Landing more family members usually means the vote will get split up some more in my experience.

Broken Cog posted:

Assassinate all those characters that are more popular than your heir.

Either that or make them clergy.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys, thats what i was doing. Thought my chancellor might have a touch of the downs or something cuz he hasnt been able to fabricate poo poo. Yeah I just decided to start a new Ireland game and quickly lost 2 of my counties after my loving emo character died of depression at like 37 so it looks like blood is about to be spilled all over Eire.

So what the gently caress after 20+ hours of my chancellor never fabricating a drat thing he fabricates me 3 claims in 1 hour. Also is primogeniture more trouble than it's worth?

Tinkle
Sep 26, 2006
As useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat.

Also, when you have been playing you might of noticed those events like "Lord of XXX is trying to fabricate a claim in your lands" and you have several option with how to deal with the AI chancellor. One of them is to bribe him off. The AI get these same events and can bribe off your chancellor as well. So if you have a chancellor that has been sitting in a province for years with no luck, try switching him around a little, or re dropping him on the same province.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, on Elective vassals now will tend to go out of their way NOT to vote for the guy you obviously want as your heir. (Though I've noticed they seem to tend to favor your oldest son if he's not a disaster and he's not your chosen heir.) Elective is still a valid way to play because it makes successions really easy and as long as you don't gently caress up overmuch they'll almost always pick someone from your dynasty so your game will continue. But aside from the gamey option of using Seduction focus and Gavelkind and carefully controlling legitimizing bastards, there's no way to handpick your heir anymore. The only legitimate options before you reach High Crown Authority are Ultimogeniture and Elective (assuming you don't have Tanistry as an option, but I've never liked Tanistry anyway).

And Primogeniture can be a pain in the rear end too because if your current character lives into his 60s then you have to try to keep control of the heir into his 40s, which can be a bitch as your heir constantly agitates to be given a landed title (which you do NOT under any circumstances want to do because within 3 years he'll have married a 44-year-old Elusive Shadow with 0 diplomacy and 0 stewardship and already picked up Slothful, Arbitrary, Cynical and syphilis.) The long regencies of Ultimogeniture can often be less harmful to your realm than allowing your adult heir to make his own life decisions for even a couple years.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 6, 2015

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Would love for ultimogeniture to favor your youngest heir by a wife. My zunists always knock up a concubine right before dying so it's all regencies all the time. It might make the game too easy, but it would make the marriage dynamic feel more realistic. Why are kings willing to marry their daughters to me when her kids won't get poo poo? Also, the current ultimo system undermines the 'do I marry the idiot hunchback princess of Francia for the sweet alliance or the strong lusty genius commoner for the sweet eugenics' conundrum. You marry the princess, knowing that your heir will come from one of the countless quick and attractive women populating the wilds who are just waiting for a passing hunter to make them a concubine.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

So what the gently caress after 20+ hours of my chancellor never fabricating a drat thing he fabricates me 3 claims in 1 hour. Also is primogeniture more trouble than it's worth?

Compared to what? It certainly beats the pants off gavelkind. A lot of folks in this thread used to (maybe still do) recommend ultimogeniture because you avoid situations where your 65 year old ruler croaks and leaves his 49 year old son on charge, who then dies 13 years later before having the chance to raise his own kid. This requires you to do some marriage shenanigans where you divorce or kill your wife when your character starts getting on in years so you don't have anymore kids, and if you time it wrong (or if the RNG doesn't favor you) you'll end up with an heir who's too young and will send you into a regency when your ruler dies. You want to avoid regencies at all costs unless you enjoy screaming at the monitor as your vassals conspire to destroy everything you've built.

I still prefer primogeniture. Less time spent worrying that your ruler will kick the bucket early and leave an infant in charge. The best succession type will forever be patrician elective.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Spakstik posted:

I still prefer primogeniture. Less time spent worrying that your ruler will kick the bucket early and leave an infant in charge. The best succession type will forever be patrician elective.

I still prefer the muslim one (forgot the name) where you can basically choose whoever you want (well, except women).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Spakstik posted:

You want to avoid regencies at all costs unless you enjoy screaming at the monitor as your vassals conspire to destroy everything you've built.

To be specific, if at any point you have to go through a regency of longer than about 3 years, when you reach the end of it your crown authority will be back at Autonomous Vassals. And you'll probably be under Seniority succession.

• Locked thread