Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, Arc-V is awesome. Keep in mind though, the plot doesn't start to really come in until episode 34. Fittingly enough, episode 34 is also the best episode so far and they will probably never top it.

edit: Um. Pretend you didn't see my avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Cool, I'm totally fine with the plot taking a while to get started so long as it gets there eventually. I used to watch the series religiously but Zexal kind of lost me so I gave up on it pretty early. On to watch it and be confused by pendulum summons I guess!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's a slow boil since it's going to run for 3 years, aka 150ish episodes, but, well, you see where they got after Year 1 and there's plenty of good stuff during that year.

I also think that what Yusei's VA said refers more that he isn't voicing Yusei for now because Yusei simply won't show up this year. I'd be utterly shocked if the last year (or last 26 episodes) don't feature every protagonist in the series joining together to defeat Leo or whoever the final last villain should be.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Kay Kessler posted:

I think it's pretty fitting. Skip is a youthful sounding name, and Boyle(Boil) references his hot-bloodedness.

When I think Boyle, I think of the skin condition.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's a slow boil since it's going to run for 3 years, aka 150ish episodes, but, well, you see where they got after Year 1 and there's plenty of good stuff during that year.

I also think that what Yusei's VA said refers more that he isn't voicing Yusei for now because Yusei simply won't show up this year. I'd be utterly shocked if the last year (or last 26 episodes) don't feature every protagonist in the series joining together to defeat Leo or whoever the final last villain should be.

It ain't happening, ever. This is Yuya's show and it's never not gonna be Yuya's show.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Slur posted:

When I think Boyle, I think of the skin condition.
I think of as an allusion to tomboy.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I wonder if there's any gimmicks you could run with Scar-Red + Gale Dogra. Probably not, because for it to be worth it you'd have to mill all your tuners. On the other hand, there's no summoning restrictions on it.

As I write this post it occurs to me if it got bounced you'd be hosed. Nevermind. :smith:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

VJeff posted:

It ain't happening, ever. This is Yuya's show and it's never not gonna be Yuya's show.

Kinda hope they don't end up doing this same sort of thing with the GX cast then, if they end up going that route. They're... alright, but Jaden was definitely the reason to watch that show. Maybe if they had Hassleberry and Chazz (the early one) and nobody else.

Still need to finish that series, actually. The second season kinda killed my enthusiasm for how lame it was. I'll get to it eventually...

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

VJeff posted:

Konami hates potential. This is the one thing people should have taken away from recent events, as well as this entire franchise.

On that note, I'm still reeling over the 8500 Scar-Red.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also they missed a step by not calling the Tops Rares instead.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So, I'm looking at this week's OCG top decklists (which you should all do because OCG pulls some nutty stuff sometimes and it's fun to see what they're doing), and I noticed that a lot of decks are running this guy.

Let me just take a moment to say...WOW. I totally overlooked Dragodeus during the CORE leaks, but WOW. That is a pretty amazing Pendulum effect, and as a level 4 Warrior he's techable into a ton of decks.

I suspect we'll see a lot of him on DN/YGOPro once people realize how good he is.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Momomo posted:

Kinda hope they don't end up doing this same sort of thing with the GX cast then, if they end up going that route. They're... alright, but Jaden was definitely the reason to watch that show. Maybe if they had Hassleberry and Chazz (the early one) and nobody else.

Still need to finish that series, actually. The second season kinda killed my enthusiasm for how lame it was. I'll get to it eventually...

Were you watching it subbed or dubbed? Because the dub is excellent.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well the Synchro Dimension is awesome. I love how they took the spirit of 5Ds and made this new thing out of it, the class struggle elements have been updated to reflect the real world situation a bit better. I mean, Yuugo explicitly called out the top 1% having 99% of the wealth. I'm getting Final Fantasy 7 vibes from the city, with all the slums literally on the layer below the bright and shiny buildings, the giant pillars help too. It's cyberpunk as poo poo, just like the original, and I love it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And with any luck, we'll have a Riding Action Duel with Gradius cards so a guy can finally jump in a Vic Viper and start riding it around going pew pew. And so those cards can get some decent support. I guess.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

Were you watching it subbed or dubbed? Because the dub is excellent.

Dub, I can't imagine what this show would be like in Japanese.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Is GX's dub the one that turns self-aware halfway through and starts making fun of itself?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, why'd they even bother silhouetteing Jack when they're just going to show him like 3 episodes into the new opening. The other updates to the opening were also good, and definitely make it feel better, the change from the action-duel spiel to a turbo-duel one is the best though. It really makes it feel like the show has entered into Act 2 of it's story. I'm a little sad we're probably not going to be seeing the action duel chants for a bit though, even if action duels still get used they'll be facing people who don't know them so I guess the chant will be forgotten, which is a shame because I liked it.

Lots of recapping in this episode as well, they're really setting up the Synchro Dimension to be a really big arc which is great because it has been pretty neglected. The episode did make me Hype as Hell for the rest of this arc and I was already looking forward to it. It also makes me want to re-watch 5D's but I don't really have the time. :(

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Here's food for thought: If Yuzu and Yugo got warped to the Synchro Dimension, where did Yuri get warped to? If he's still in Standard, then I expect people to fill in the blanks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hopeford posted:

Is GX's dub the one that turns self-aware halfway through and starts making fun of itself?

Yeah, coincidentally when the show started going full HERPA DERPA retarded. Which some people see as a good thing because "Oh it's so much more serious now" and it's like Yes, I too am glad that the show about card game school and the goofy antics of the students within and the protagonist who reacts to all situations with "It's a loving card game, have fun" has become serious and featuring character death.

It's like Opposite 5Ds, 5Ds lost the plot when it gave up its tightly plotted story arc with ramping stakes for mounds of filler and Robots and other stupid poo poo. It wasn't fun goofy (except for pretty much everything Jack Atlas did) but the kind of plotless meandering that just left you going "And I could not care, especially since Yusei's gone full Jesus on us."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Slur posted:

Here's food for thought: If Yuzu and Yugo got warped to the Synchro Dimension, where did Yuri get warped to? If he's still in Standard, then I expect people to fill in the blanks.

Yuri and Academia can dimension hop at will so it doesn't matter.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man, why'd they even bother silhouetteing Jack when they're just going to show him like 3 episodes into the new opening.

It's just a thing of theirs for some reason. They did the same thing when the Arclights made a reappearance in zexal. Not only were the silhouettes clearly theirs, but they showed their ace monsters behind them. There's really no point to it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Eh, I like the silhouettes. Makes it feel like they care enough to hype up something that's going on in the show.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Momomo posted:

Dub, I can't imagine what this show would be like in Japanese.

Decent start, then weird and bad, then weird, but good.

And silhouettes have been a Yu-Gi-Oh! OP tradition since 5D's, although I will grant that this is probably the shortest turnaround time for one. Longest turnaround time is the third 5D's OP where they never actually filled in Grannel's silhouette because he didn't show up until the next OP had started. :v:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yuri and Academia can dimension hop at will so it doesn't matter.

Well, let's bring this to the forefront then:

Where in Standard would he have been warped to? Is there a limit to how many times an Academia member can warp from place to place?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Wait, Jack Atlus is his Japanese name? It's the most 4kids sounding thing in the world. They really were meant to dub this show.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Slur posted:

Where in Standard would he have been warped to? Is there a limit to how many times an Academia member can warp from place to place?

The answer to the first questions seems to be anywhere in Maiami city (with the recent warp being the exception but maybe Clear-Wing took over), and to the second we don't know but from Sora and Barrett the duel disk seems to have a "return to base" button.

If Dennis has a way to contact Academia other than through in-person meetings or something (very likely), then I can see Academia ignoring Standard for a while since both their primary targets are currently in Synchro. And Synchro probably has less defences set up for invasion anyway since they don't know about Academia and LDS is currently training new lancers to protect Standard

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Momomo posted:

Wait, Jack Atlus is his Japanese name? It's the most 4kids sounding thing in the world. They really were meant to dub this show.

They were going for a thing where english-sounding names meant you were from Satellite and japanese-names were from Neo Domino, so Yusei's name stuck out since he was from Satellite until the reveal that his dad was a super science man in Neo Domino (and in reverse Rex Godwin stood out until we find out he had escaped from Satellite) so that's why there's JACK ATLAS and Crow Hogan.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Slur posted:

Were it a place of importance they would have shown it/foreshadowed it. So until it comes up it actually really doesn't matter. We already know they can hop at a button press.
And the latter also doesn't really matter until they make it so. If they did I would consider it a sort of Chekov's gun.

This is assuming they at least have a sense of steady, structured continuity.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Watched episodes 1 through 4 of Arc-V today. First impressions:

-- I really like Yuuya's thing about lacking confidence and playing the clown to make up for it. Makes him a much more human character than like...pretty much any Yugioh protagonist.

--That dude from episode 3/4(Shingo? Sawa something? Forgot his name) is the jobbiest jobber the world has ever seen. I'm not sure how to explain this completely irrational feeling, but he just has the face of a jobber. I'll be extremely surprised if he ever wins anything in the entire series.

--Gray-haired dude(they haven't said his name yet but he's the...president of the fancy academy, I think) giving Mr. Jobber orders during the duel in episodes 3/4 seems like a pretty cool villain/rival.

Overall enjoying it a lot so far.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hopeford posted:

--That dude from episode 3/4(Shingo? Sawa something? Forgot his name) is the jobbiest jobber the world has ever seen. I'm not sure how to explain this completely irrational feeling, but he just has the face of a jobber. I'll be extremely surprised if he ever wins anything in the entire series.

That's Sawatari-san to you, sir. It would be best to remember his name. :colbert:

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Shingo "Silvio" Neo New Sawatari DX

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

Shingo "Silvio" Neo New Nuevo Sawatari-san DX 2.0 The Sequel

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hjalmar posted:

Number C39: Nekroz of Shining Shingo "Silvio" Neo New Nuevo Sawatari-san DX 2.0 The Sequel of the Ice Barrier

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Add to the list of cards I utterly hate and despise: Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just caught up with the most recent chapter. Pretty drat awesome, even if the Synchro dimension is pretty much 5d's firts season.

Is kind of weird though, we get Jack and Crow back but they aren't truly them. Should've seen it coming.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is kind of weird though, we get Jack and Crow back but they aren't truly them. Should've seen it coming.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Onore, Yuya! :argh:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Just caught up with the most recent chapter. Pretty drat awesome, even if the Synchro dimension is pretty much 5d's firts season.

I actually quite like how it isn't exactly 5D's first season. It clearly takes from more, the roads appearing once a Duel starts and pushing the poor people who might be going to their jobs because others need to play card games and those are more important are from the season 2 united Neo Domino. Both parts of City aren't separated, instead being on different levels, bringing into mind Final Fantasy VII as was mentioned earlier but it's likely just to make it more unique instead of having separate Domino (plus there's nothing saying Domino won't appear in the Fusion Dimension), the Synchro Dimension doesn't work in quite the same way Neo Domino did as there's an actual chance of class climbing by proving your strength like Jack did (in 5D's proper, Jack had to break the law to get to the wealthy Neo Domino and become the King, and then had to lie about being born there to begin with instead of having been poor. Here, it's Common knowledge he was poor at one point). That said, it keeps the original 5D's theme of poverty and discrimination, which were really cool back there and are really cool right now.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said, it keeps the original 5D's theme of poverty and discrimination, which were really cool back there and are really cool right now.

Yugo's "we are the 99%" speech had to be the most overt social commentary the franchise has ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Slur posted:

Yugo's "we are the 99%" speech had to be the most overt social commentary the franchise has ever had.

Slightly off topic, but has Japan been hit with a similar type of social movement as the US regarding wealth disparity between the super wealthy and everyone else? I haven't been keeping up with Japanese politics since I moved a few years ago. :shobon: