Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In case you are wondering, this movie's title in Japan is Wild Speed: Sky Mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The MSJ posted:

In case you are wondering, this movie's title in Japan is Wild Speed: Sky Mission.

If you're curious like me, the rest of the series is Wild Speed, Wild Speed X2, Wild Speed X3: Tokyo Drift, Wild Speed Max, Wild Speed Mega Max, Wild Speed: Euro Mission.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fast 5 is one of the few movies that could live up to the title Wild Speed Mega Max.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sir Kodiak posted:

Fast 5 is one of the few movies that could live up to the title Wild Speed Mega Max.

go go power rangers

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
"Sky Mission" seemed like a strangely narrow focus at first, even if the airdrop scene is great. But then I remembered there's the towers in Abu Dhabi and the final set piece with the drone, so the story checks out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

duz posted:

If you're curious like me, the rest of the series is Wild Speed, Wild Speed X2, Wild Speed X3: Tokyo Drift, Wild Speed Max, Wild Speed Mega Max, Wild Speed: Euro Mission.

I wish these were the titles in the US too :(

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

teagone posted:

I wish these were the titles in the US too :(

Those titles are way to JDM for America. Even given how silly the movies can be.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just got back from seeing this, it was pretty great but why did the pmc guy suddenly get a huge murderboner for vin diesel at the end? He didn't do anything to him since they had that stare down at the Caucus. It seems like an excuse to get Statham out of the way without him actually losing the fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Oh what a fantastic movie. It's great to see a series so shamelessly and so earnestly embracing what they are. It's a sad reminder of why Walker's death was actually a loss. They're dopey car chase movies, but they're loving great dopey car chase movies made by people determined to make the greatest, dopiest car chase movie they can. There were a few little winks and nods throughout, but nothing like the overly self aware, slightly ashamed constant "wink, wink, WINK. DYAGETTIT?" tone that Robert Rodriguez movies tend to have. It's also a masterclass in how to use a big cast and cameos in memorable, fun ways (gently caress you guys, the Rousey fight owned). Essentially, it's what the Expendables movies should be.
As we were getting to the end, I was thinking "man, Wan has done a great job, but he's still finding his feet. There's not been anything as amazing as the tank flip/catch in no.6." Then the Rock broke his cast by flexing really hard, took out a drone with an ambulance and looted its body for a minigun. It's one of the crowning moments of the series.

Also, I nearly teared up at the end. Bye Paul.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The thing I loved most is how they planned these elaborate missions to secure access to the tech to find Statham and then he just appears in the middle of it. What the team can do with all their talents combined Statham can do solo. Escaping from that box should be a breeze.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

Just got back from seeing this, it was pretty great but why did the pmc guy suddenly get a huge murderboner for vin diesel at the end? He didn't do anything to him since they had that stare down at the Caucus. It seems like an excuse to get Statham out of the way without him actually losing the fight.

They stole the thing he wanted.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
I'm a sucker for these movies, when I see it on, I have to watch.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

duz posted:

The WILD SPEED titles are definitely the best titles possible for this series

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
This movie opened up so, so well. The slow reveal of the hospital and establishing the badassery of Jason Statham. Then it just kind of fell apart, and he was no where near as intimidating or dangerous as everyone hyped him up to be. Also, why do you need the Gods eye to find him, that was so convoluted and unnecessary, considering he pops up everywhere and isn't really hiding or biding his time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Death By The Blues posted:

This movie opened up so, so well. The slow reveal of the hospital and establishing the badassery of Jason Statham. Then it just kind of fell apart, and he was no where near as intimidating or dangerous as everyone hyped him up to be. Also, why do you need the Gods eye to find him, that was so convoluted and unnecessary, considering he pops up everywhere and isn't really hiding or biding his time.

Because waiting for him to pop up and try and murder you didn't work out that well the first time Vin tried it. Or any of the other times he did so in the movie and they ended up having to run away from him. Letting him come in prepared, with the element of surprise, was just going to end up with all of them dead one at a time.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
I miss Gina Carano, too bad she was only in one..

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably the thing that bugged me most about the movie was the Iggy Azalea cameo.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Did no one care about the Rita Ora cameo in FF6 or do people just not know who she is?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dunno was rita ora all "HEY GHOST GIRL WHERE U BEEN GHOST GIRL DAAANG"?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I never thought I'd say this, but the Rita Ora cameo was far more elegantly handled - she was starting the race so there was a reason for the camera to be focused on her. Iggy Azalea was delivering a tepid variation on a line that a bunch of extras were also spouting so having her suddenly front and centre was really jarring.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had no idea who that was and didn't think anything of it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

RBA Starblade posted:

I had no idea who that was and didn't think anything of it.

I didn't recognize her at first but I knew I didn't like it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Party Boat posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but the Rita Ora cameo was far more elegantly handled - she was starting the race so there was a reason for the camera to be focused on her. Iggy Azalea was delivering a tepid variation on a line that a bunch of extras were also spouting so having her suddenly front and centre was really jarring.

I have no idea who Rita Ora is, but her scene is really jarring. The line she gives makes zero sense, and also she's announcing to a bunch of English people that they are, in fact, in London. I would say her and Iggy are equally nonsensical.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In case anyone asks again, this is Iggy Azalea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-zpOMYRi0w

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

She's also Australian, and not from Florida, despite her lovely fake accent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

I didn't recognize her at first but I knew I didn't like it.

It really threw me out of the movie because it took me a minute to realize who it was.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i would love to bang iggy azalea

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Cole posted:

i would love to bang iggy azalea

I can't even believe I have to say this

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Iggy Azalea isn't an actress :smuggo:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Can't wait for the Charlie XCX cameo in Fast 8. Yo Dom this ain't LA welcome to New York baby

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's been a cameo/appearance by a regrettable contemporary musician in every film in the series. It's as much a tradition as Tyrese making terrible jokes and the Rock being oily.
1. Ja Rule
2. Ludacris (the least regrettable)
3. Bow Wow
4. Don Omar
5. Don Omar, Ludacris and Tyrese triple threat
6. Rita Ora
7. Iggy Azalea.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I hope Riff Raff is in the next one.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ja Rule was awesome you shut your mouth

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

There's been a cameo/appearance by a regrettable contemporary musician in every film in the series. It's as much a tradition as Tyrese making terrible jokes and the Rock being oily.
1. Ja Rule
2. Ludacris (the least regrettable)
3. Bow Wow
4. Don Omar
5. Don Omar, Ludacris and Tyrese triple threat
6. Rita Ora
7. Iggy Azalea.

Ja Rule fell off, but at the time F&F1 was out he was still pretty good, Luda loving owns, and Tyrese also owns. :colbert:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

JaRule posted:

MONICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
It's too bad that Gucci is gonna be locked up for a minute because him being in a Fast and Furious movie would be the poo poo.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

MENAGGGEEE!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I really liked him in Tokyo Drift actually, dude was the right amount of swarmy/nerdy sidekick.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I can't even believe I have to say this
You're agreeing with the guy who had GIP's "Let's Talk About Idiots" thread renamed after him. Sorry Cole, but if you had sex with Iggy Azalea you'd probably get tetanus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Casimir Radon posted:

You're agreeing with the guy who had GIP's "Let's Talk About Idiots" thread renamed after him. Sorry Cole, but if you had sex with Iggy Azalea you'd probably get tetanus.

He's not agreeing with him, he's quoting the "don't tell us what you masturbate to" rule.

• Locked thread