Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

Sanschel posted:

The Hood is up: http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/The-Hood-057.jpg

On the one hand, he's a solid upgrade on his old abysmal version, I love the 70 point dial; on the other hand he's a super rare and has no Leadership or any other power signifying he turned the criminal underworld into his personal army. Then there's the stop clicks which I'm honestly getting sick of; a few pieces getting them is a neat mechanic, but it's starting to feel like lazy dial design.

Regardless, Maggia teams will happily welcome Parker.

I am realizing the hand-full of figures I was really interested in are all SR.. Which seems really similar to the JLTW set. Why do I get the feeling Hulk will be an SR too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah, kinda disappointing. I was looking forward to the Hood who united the supervillains of New York by not being an idiot (So basically the 70 point dial expanded a bit to something like 130-150 with a trait that let him add marvel villain keyword figures to his own keyword and a special leadership power). Ah well, maybe there's a prize version or a non SR also in the set?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

This morning I saw a bunch of Iron Man 3 packs in Target. Are these the ones that don't have any of the mass market exclusives like Iron Man & Iron Patriot in them?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ManiacClown posted:

This morning I saw a bunch of Iron Man 3 packs in Target. Are these the ones that don't have any of the mass market exclusives like Iron Man & Iron Patriot in them?

They're the $1 common packs.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

They're the $1 common packs.

As I suspected. gently caress 'em, then, if I can't get IM&IP.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

you couldnt get imip even if they were the normal target packs

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Ok so my son just opened a Blight from his Trinity War boosters, the first ability kinda confuses me. He can just jack someone for one damage every turn, no matter what?

Trait 1: Blackmare Curse: When Blight is dealt penetrating damage, it can be reduced. Once per turn, an opposing character can be given a free action to be dealt 1 unaviodable damage and that character ignores this ability until your next turn.

Also do things that don't say they use an action, like poison, cost an action token?

And....is there anywhere to find what all the team names do, people keep talking about a "mystics" team, I assume that's people with mystics keyword?

Sorry for all the basic rear end questions, I didn't really find a "beginners" area on hcrealms.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Grem posted:

Ok so my son just opened a Blight from his Trinity War boosters, the first ability kinda confuses me. He can just jack someone for one damage every turn, no matter what?

Trait 1: Blackmare Curse: When Blight is dealt penetrating damage, it can be reduced. Once per turn, an opposing character can be given a free action to be dealt 1 unaviodable damage and that character ignores this ability until your next turn.
You're missing the interplay on a few key rules. Most importantly, an opposing character must be given the free action. You cannot give actions of any sort to opposing characters.

The point of that trait is that Blight turns all penetrating damage into regular damage -- this is really powerful! It means he can shrug off penetrating/psychic blast and exploit weakness attacks like they're regular attacks. But, your opponent has an out. If he chooses to damage his own guy, that character (and that character only) can do penetrating damage to Blight this turn.

quote:

Also do things that don't say they use an action, like poison, cost an action token?
Everything takes an action. In this case, poison takes a Free Action, which means that no, you do not give the character using it an action token.

quote:

And....is there anywhere to find what all the team names do, people keep talking about a "mystics" team, I assume that's people with mystics keyword?
In this case, we don't. Mystics is a very powerful and very simple team ability -- whenever anyone deals damage to a character with the Mystics TA, they take a click of unavoidable damage. Mystics teams are teams when somebody's just gone and loaded up on characters with Mystics, on the principle that you can hit 'em, but you'll get bloody doing it and then they'll get you when you're weakened. It's very popular with new players.

quote:

Sorry for all the basic rear end questions, I didn't really find a "beginners" area on hcrealms.
You're looking for the rules page, which has the rulebook, the Powers and Abilities Card (or PAC), and lists of all the team abilities, among other things. The PAC is your very best friend. Learn it. Love it. Pay special attention to the type of action each power requires to activate, and what actions it gives you once activated.

The most basic thing you need to know is that there's five types of actions: Move, Close Combat, Ranged Combat, Power, and Free. Every character can be given Move, Close Combat, and Ranged Combat actions no matter what (although if they have a 0 range, giving them a Ranged Combat action would be silly in most cases). Characters can only take one non-free action per turn, and doing so gives them an action token. They can take multiple free actions, but no more than one free action of each type (in other words, you can only Outwit once per turn, even though it's a free action to do so).

The next most basic thing is to watch how the actions interact. This is really important. Read the PAC for each power you've got; sometimes they can trigger off each other, sometimes they can't. Look at Charge; it takes a power action to activate, and it gives you a close combat action for free. Look at Flurry; it takes a close combat action to activate. You can Charge and then Flurry. Look at Blades/Claws/Fangs; it doesn't need an action to activate at all, it happens when you take a close combat action for any reason. You can Charge/Flurry with BCF on each attack. Look at Exploit Weakness; it takes a close combat action to activate. You can Charge/Exploit/BCF too. Flurry and Exploit Weakness both need a close combat action to be activated and you can only take one action at a time; you can't Flurry/Exploit. (And so on, and so forth...) Sometimes special powers will break the rules, but they'll always tell you when they're doing it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

CapnAndy posted:

You're missing the interplay on a few key rules. Most importantly, an opposing character must be given the free action. You cannot give actions of any sort to opposing characters.

The point of that trait is that Blight turns all penetrating damage into regular damage -- this is really powerful! It means he can shrug off penetrating/psychic blast and exploit weakness attacks like they're regular attacks. But, your opponent has an out. If he chooses to damage his own guy, that character (and that character only) can do penetrating damage to Blight this turn.
Everything takes an action. In this case, poison takes a Free Action, which means that no, you do not give the character using it an action token.
In this case, we don't. Mystics is a very powerful and very simple team ability -- whenever anyone deals damage to a character with the Mystics TA, they take a click of unavoidable damage. Mystics teams are teams when somebody's just gone and loaded up on characters with Mystics, on the principle that you can hit 'em, but you'll get bloody doing it and then they'll get you when you're weakened. It's very popular with new players.
You're looking for the rules page, which has the rulebook, the Powers and Abilities Card (or PAC), and lists of all the team abilities, among other things. The PAC is your very best friend. Learn it. Love it. Pay special attention to the type of action each power requires to activate, and what actions it gives you once activated.

The most basic thing you need to know is that there's five types of actions: Move, Close Combat, Ranged Combat, Power, and Free. Every character can be given Move, Close Combat, and Ranged Combat actions no matter what (although if they have a 0 range, giving them a Ranged Combat action would be silly in most cases). Characters can only take one non-free action per turn, and doing so gives them an action token. They can take multiple free actions, but no more than one free action of each type (in other words, you can only Outwit once per turn, even though it's a free action to do so).

The next most basic thing is to watch how the actions interact. This is really important. Read the PAC for each power you've got; sometimes they can trigger off each other, sometimes they can't. Look at Charge; it takes a power action to activate, and it gives you a close combat action for free. Look at Flurry; it takes a close combat action to activate. You can Charge and then Flurry. Look at Blades/Claws/Fangs; it doesn't need an action to activate at all, it happens when you take a close combat action for any reason. You can Charge/Flurry with BCF on each attack. Look at Exploit Weakness; it takes a close combat action to activate. You can Charge/Exploit/BCF too. Flurry and Exploit Weakness both need a close combat action to be activated and you can only take one action at a time; you can't Flurry/Exploit. (And so on, and so forth...) Sometimes special powers will break the rules, but they'll always tell you when they're doing it.

Very helpful thanks. I'm probably a bit too old to be learning this from scratch but I want my son to learn the right way to play and he's doing a whole lot better at picking things up than I thought he would.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Grem posted:

To flesh out what Andy said - team abilities are indicated by a symbol on the dial top, on the opposite side from the combat dial window. These days, they are also printed on the bottom-left side of a character card. Not all characters have them, and they are not tied to keywords (although most characters with a team ability will also have the keyword for that team, it is not a requirement). The Mystics team ability, as Andy described, is represented by an ankh symbol.

You can find all the team abilities on the rules page that he linked to. They're very useful to know, and can range from tremendously-powerful (Power Cosmic) to completely useless (Injustice League).

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Today was 800 points. No resources, teambases, or colossals.

I played the Secret Society of Super Villans

Felix Faust
Heatwave
Captain Cold
Despero
The Outsider (non unique)
Psycho Pirate
Professor Zoom

Round 1 I had a bye. Played the Judges team of

TW Batman
MOS Superman
Common 300 point superman.

Faust hit power dampener early which shut down his HSS/RS and let me position. Also got out ice blocks to lock up his supermen. Zoom and Despero just wore them down.

Round 2 vs Andy's team called "The legion was drunk and inducted a bike"

Cosmic Boy
Mon-El Prime
Superboy
Tellus
Lightning Lad
Ultra Boy
Batcycle

I won map roll and chose the prison. He was playing tellus games and I had forgotten how tellus worked. I rolled close combat only for Faust and had zoom go way down. I then tried to get a shot off on the bat cycle to take away his stealth and that missed. Zoom went splat next turn as Faust didn't shut anything down. I then pulled way back because I knew that advancing into that firing line was suicide. Then Faust rolled for his pick a square and blow it up power and hit Andy's entire team for 3. That forced Andy to reposition a bit and try to come for me and spread out. On my turn I rolled to see if I needed to roll the d20 and hit a 5. Called the Lightning again and hit everyone for 3 more. That got the bike and cosmic boy I think while severely wounding everyone else save Superboy/Ultra/Mon-El as they were made of tougher stuff.

Andy came hard for me. Tellus still being alive meant that my ice blocks were pretty useless as his tricks meant that one legionnaire being in LOF made everyone. Lost heatwave to this flurry of fire after he shot up mon el a bit. Despero also took shots to his lower dial. Faust then hit any on his dial and called the Lightning again which KO'd tellus.

I think I managed to hit the Lightning one more time after that and then sent everyone back to the starting area and supported up captain cold and Despero. By the time Andy was in range again I called the lighting again and that was basically it.

Round 3 versus

A shitload of Hand Ninja's
Kingpin
Elektra
Colleen and Misty Duo
omega drive
Hand ATA on all.

Lost map roll but we stayed in jail. Opponent moved out his force. I rolled red and sent him back to the starting area. Moved out the rest of the army. He cleared. I rolled explode a square and hit his whole team for 3 which put every ninja on their last click and he basically conceded after that.

FAUST

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The team was called The Legion of Super-Heroes And A Motorcyle, thank you very much :colbert:

I played the Hand round 1; their ATA shut down the majority of my silly "everybody's shooting all the time around corners" bullshit, but he had so many of them that one always ended up away from a wall or blocking terrain. Superboy would EE that one poor bastard. He tried swarming me, but that didn't work because he had ninjas and I had a Kryptonian and a Daxamite. He then held back and kinda refused to engage, so I just had Mon-El fly up, punch whoever I hated the most, and fly back every other turn while the rest of the team shot out any wall they could see to deny him cover. He conceded when it was down to Kingpin and a few scattered ninjas.

Felix Faust and his loving lightning can go straight to hell, that is my summary of Round 2.

Round 3 I had the bye and you know what two Supermen don't like? A bunch of psyblast coming at them out of walls that were previously solid before Ultra-Boy's ultra vision knocked them down, that's what.

I hereby dub the Batcycle MVP because it was a motorcycle with a flight ring.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Almost the entire Avengers Assembled set has been spoiled.

Nothing game breaking, just a solid set.

I am in love with the 66 point Mrs. marvel though.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

CapnAndy posted:

Everything takes an action. In this case, poison takes a Free Action, which means that no, you do not give the character using it an action token.\

So it's a free action, but say you have 5 actions because you have a 500 point team, it takes one of those actions, right?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

No. Free Actions are just that, Actions that you can take for free. The Action Pool refers to the number of Non-Free Actions you can take in a given turn. So, 500 Points means 5 Non-Free Actions can be given(Move, Close Combat, Ranged Combat, and Power). If you have a 7 Person Team, only 5 of them can take a Non-Free Action in a turn. But all of them can take Free Actions.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Morand posted:

Almost the entire Avengers Assembled set has been spoiled.

Nothing game breaking, just a solid set.

I am in love with the 66 point Mrs. marvel though.

There's definitely some potential in there, Chase Hulk and Sandman in particular seem like they've got the makings of abusable figures. By and large however I'm impressed by how unimpressed I am with the set. I haven't cared so little for a release since Teen Titans. There's certainly some diamonds in the rough: Arcade will probably be on every team I build for months; Red Skull will be a blast heading a Hydra army; and Power Princess and Ms Marvel are nice additions to their respective named keywords. Otherwise the set seems like a sleeper, potential ID card shenanigans notwithstanding.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Avengers Academy don't get their own keyword.

Guess which one they use instead.

If you said 'Avengers', you're wrong! Despite almost all of the Avengers spinoffs (except Young Avengers) being under that umbrella and the Academy kids actually being made Avengers at the end of the series.

Nope, instead they used 'Initiative'! So you can't play them in a theme team with any currently existing member of the Academy staff that predates this set (including the Hawkeye included in this set), but you cn put them in a theme team with the Hood, whose only interaction with them was then they broke into his house and beat him up.

Not to mention the Initiative and Avengers Academy were two different things.

:smith:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
finally the updated version of the captain america set black widow.

heres a dial thread http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538935

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Volfogg posted:

No. Free Actions are just that, Actions that you can take for free. The Action Pool refers to the number of Non-Free Actions you can take in a given turn. So, 500 Points means 5 Non-Free Actions can be given(Move, Close Combat, Ranged Combat, and Power). If you have a 7 Person Team, only 5 of them can take a Non-Free Action in a turn. But all of them can take Free Actions.

You know, I'm going to try and write up a numbered "how to play" guide for my brother-in-law and nephew for showing them how to play. The rules document on Heroclix.com is just all over the place, and sucks for new players.

Step 1: Choose a build (100, 200, 300, or more points - then determine action pool; generally, a 500-point game allows 5 non-free actions)
Step 2: Choose an Age (Modern, Silver, Golden - Modern is tournament legal, Silver is carded figures only, and Golden is everything)
Step 3: Choose a scenario (if you'd like - a theme or objective for the game, like capture the flag or all characters must have a certain color/name, etc.) and agree on any house rules
Step 4: Determine time limit or limit on number of rounds to play, if desired. You can also just play until one side is KO'd.
Step 5: Build your team (stay at or under build total; theme teams consist of at least 2 characters), choose ATAs (themed teams only - italic keywords count, too; any character on a theme team can use an ATA applicable to their keyword by paying its cost), and count theme team probability pool (for named (non-italic) themed teams only - 1 prob per character on your force, but only up to 1 per each 100 points of the build total)
5a: You can only have one copy of a Unique (silver-ringed) figure - but your force may have multiple different Unique figures. On your entire force, you can only have one Prime (green-ringed) figure.
5b: Some games observe the Highlander rule: your force may only have one instance of a character. So, you can have multiple Hydra Soldiers, but only one Steve Rogers/Captain America. You may also institute this rule game-wide.
5c: If you have an older figure that didn't come with a card, that's okay - keywords for those figures are on Heroclix.com.
5d: Additional Team Abilities (ATAs) and team abilities (the image on the dial that's not the set logo) are detailed on Heroclix.com.
Step 6: Choose up to 3 objects - if you have up to 3, one must be heavy (red), and one must be light (yellow); standard objects cost 0, but a relic will have a cost you have to pay. You can also choose to play no objects.
Step 7: Each player should choose their desired map to roll for. Make sure each player has 2 d6, action tokens, markers, and cards (if applicable) for their characters. If you're using ATAs, it's a good idea to have a printout, or an image on your phone for reference. Same for rules and team abilities.
Step 8: Each player rolls 2 d6 - players with themed teams get a +1 bonus to their roll for each character on their force. The player with the highest roll can choose who goes first. The player who goes first gets to choose which map is used.
Step 9: Place your characters in the starting area, and place objects - generally, first player puts down an object, then the second player, and so on, until all objects are placed.
Step 10: Set a timer, and have fun. Use action tokens to track which characters make non-free actions. Be sure to ask questions about your opponent's characters, and read their cards. Be sure to announce each action clearly, and when finished with your turn, clearly state your turn is complete.

Maybe something like that. Thoughts?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The rulebook is the worst part of this game for new players. They really need to update it and streamline it. I love having to explore different sections of the rulebook to discover how certain things behave. You'll find really important rules sometimes just tucked into the end of a paragraph on something semi-related.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
My favorite is the rules exception for crit misses with Support! Any reasonable author would put that in the PAC entry for Support. Nope, it gets tucked in to the Critical Hits/Misses section of the core rulebook, and is mentioned nowhere else.

My next favorite thing is that you need to look in three different places to really get the rules. Four, if you count the official rules forum- Core Rulebook, PAC, and PG. We had a big flow chart on the whiteboard in the QA room titled "What to do if a test case fails" that waterfalled through the rules docs because I got tired of sifting out false positives from the staff. This was later replaced by a dinosaur that promised violence for crashing the server.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I've got a case coming but on a whim grabbed a booster of AA today at the shop and pulled chase Iron Man, who is huge and ridiculous but I've got more Tony than I know what to do with, if anybody wants him in exchange for Rick Jones, Hulk, King Thor, or Nova Steve.

And I didn't realize until today that there's only two generics in this set, one of whom is abjectly terrible. Combined with the ID cards having duplicate effects and there's not a lot to keep me buying boosters once I've secured the few things I actually want. What a weird set this is.

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
Was incredibly fortunate at our sealed event last night. Pulled Rick Jones, and along with Captain Universe, Hawkeye, Thunderstrike, and Falcon, went to 2-1. Bought two more boosters after the tourney on a whim and pulled Rare Hulk and Chase Hulk.

Rick Jones is stupid fun to play. Throwing pog after pog at your opponent is fun and there were more than a few times I took the pushing damage on Cap to charge in with Namor the same turn. Never got his super Incap off though. He'll definitely be finding his way onto many Cosmic teams for me

Red
Apr 15, 2003

My brick of AvAs won't arrive until loving Tuesday.

Oh well. I picked up two boosters for a sealed format last night, and pulled Starbrand, while the people I played picked up my two major wants: Sandman and a Sandman ID card. :smith:

Someone else pulled a King Thor, but it was broken at the foot. I played a Starbrand/OP Kit Lobo/Dire Wraith Queen team, and beat his team of King Thor/Son of Serpent/some blonde girl with super strength by having Starbrand's KO bonus go to the queen, and using her and Lobo to corner King Thor. Most of his rolls missed, and mine didn't - which is lucky, because King Thor has about 37 abilities.

Edit: Can I say how much I love the Smasher figure in this set?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Random rules question I guess I need to understand better. In the above picture, player 1 tries to use Hobgoblin's running shot to go after Roy Harper. Harper is on elevated terrain, one square back from the ledge. Hobgoblin has flight, and has enough range to reach Harper - he started on lower terrain and moves up to one square away from elevated terrain.

So why can't Hobgoblin target Harper with a ranged attack?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Because Hobgobby can't see Roy. A character on a lower elevation can only see a character higher than them when they're on the EDGE of higher elevations. Likewise, a character on higher elevations can only see characters on lower elevations when you're on the edge of the higher elevation.

To put it simply, characters can't see beyond the edge of higher elevation and you can't look below you unless you're on the edge of elevated terrain.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Volfogg posted:

Because Hobgobby can't see Roy. A character on a lower elevation can only see a character higher than them when they're on the EDGE of higher elevations. Likewise, a character on higher elevations can only see characters on lower elevations when you're on the edge of the higher elevation.

To put it simply, characters can't see beyond the edge of higher elevation and you can't look below you unless you're on the edge of elevated terrain.

Ah, okay - that's a perfect explanation. To explain rules (and remember them myself), I try to think of how it would apply logically - so the rule is that even flying characters are simply hovering over the ground. Just not being able to see characters on higher elevation would make sense.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

400 point sealed Avengers Assemble tonight.

I had great pulls and ran

SR Iron Man at his full value
Hellcat
Hawkeye

Round 1 vs

Arcade
3D Man
Turbo
Whirlwind
Hawkeye

I lost map and ended up on Murderworld. This was bad. Iron Man got hit by arcade shenanigans and hellcat also did. Then he bunched up for reasons I don't know and Hawkeye and Iron Man ruined his team with EE. KO'd everyone. Left arcade versus the team and he manged to KO Hellcat but that was it.

Round 2 versus

Goliath
Firebird
Son of the serpent
Veil
Night thrasher

Lost map roll, ended up on a map with a ton of blocking. I managed to bust down a wall and get an EE off on a chunk of his team. Iron Man then hit Goliath for 5. Went for a shot on IM and missed. He had veil drop smoke on me. Hawkeye used sharpshooter to knock veil off her smoke cloud. veil based my team and died to hellcat. Night thrasher fell to Iron Man. Flame bird took a shot on Hellcat and hit for 4. Hellcat regenerated it all back. Hawkeye KO'd Goliath. Opponent then scooped and told me I suck all the fun out of the game. This is a running theme unless he is winning in which case he celebrates every miss from you and hit from him.

Round 3 versus

Arcade
Power Princess
Kate Bishop
Swordsman

I won map roll and did not go to Murderworld. Got a big EE off early but it put his swordsman on outwit and if it wasn't for Tony's prob he would have eaten 7 clicks from Power Princess and an ultra heavy. That miss helped. Power princess took a big beating and was KO'd. The rest of his team fell pretty quickly without his heavy hitter.

3-0 and I got President Luthor. He looks cool as hell.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

Ah, okay - that's a perfect explanation. To explain rules (and remember them myself), I try to think of how it would apply logically - so the rule is that even flying characters are simply hovering over the ground. Just not being able to see characters on higher elevation would make sense.

That's one way of looking at it. The technical explanation is that lines of fire drawn through elevated terrain are blocked. To illustrate, examine the LoF between the characters. If elevated terrain that doesn't match the terrain either character's base— or base segment in the case of multibase characters— occupies is in that line of fire (discounting the squares LoF is being drawn to/from), then LoF is blocked. Characters who can use the Great Size ability can draw LoF and have it drawn to them at any elevation greater than or equal to that which they occupy using the least restrictive LoF. In other words, it doesn't matter if it's Galactus standing one square away from the rim. You still can't shoot up at him, though he also can't shoot down to you.

That said, this weekend is 1,000 Golden. I'd considered running Stark Industries to use my Hulkbuster but I don't think I've pulled out the FFLOD Bizarro + Rip It Up trick (with bonus source of Exploit Weakness) yet and I can only do that in Golden. Here's what I've got so far.
pre:
FFLD002	Bizarro		275
FFR003	Mirror Master	75
FL056	Gorilla Grodd	175
SLSH049	Solomon Grundy	200
JL52	Deathstroke	120
JL024	Chronos		77
WOLR108	Black Battery	2
	Black Ring	6
	Scissors	8
	Spotlight	6
	Wall		10
	Decoy		6
	Nurse		10
--FEAT	Rip It Up	20
---ATA	The Society x3	9
---------------------------
		Total:	999
	Theme: Injustice League
Rip It Up plus his Attack special means Bizarro gets the Scissors. Mirror Master gets the Wall first turn so he can always be adjacent to blocking terrain and therefore get his full Speed on Carry. The other Constructs are on an as-needed basis, with Grodd probably getting the Spotlight for his Mind Control and PsyBlast and Grundy getting the Nurse to make him that much harder to kill.

However, I'm torn on what Battery to use. This build has Black for Steal Energy (more hard-to-kill for Grundy), but I could use Violet for the Shape Change and Mystics, both of which would make Grundy even MORE of a pain in the rear end with a Nurse, plus I could also swap out the Decoy for something else. I could also use Red given that this team is so close-combat focused, which could prove useful for (again) Grundy, who the more I think about it the more I realize is a sleeper threat. Mirror Master dropping three ring-equipped characters adjacent to a pushed or otherwise immobile target could be kind of scary. I'm not missing many Constructs overall, needing only those listed below. Which Battery should I go with?
pre:
Black: Mallet, Stop Sign
Red: Net, Mallet
Orange: Axe, Sniper Rifle
Yellow: Net, Axe, Bulldozer
Green: Net, Wall (and associated characters)
Blue: Net, Spotlight
Indigo: none
Violet: Mallet, Bulldozer
White: Bulldozer, Spotlight
--------------------
spares to trade: Red Bulldozer, Orange Wall, Yellow Stop Sign, Green Bulldozer, Blue Wall and Sniper Rifle, Indigo Bulldozer, White Mallet

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

That's one way of looking at it. The technical explanation is that lines of fire drawn through elevated terrain are blocked. To illustrate, examine the LoF between the characters. If elevated terrain that doesn't match the terrain either character's base— or base segment in the case of multibase characters— occupies is in that line of fire (discounting the squares LoF is being drawn to/from), then LoF is blocked. Characters who can use the Great Size ability can draw LoF and have it drawn to them at any elevation greater than or equal to that which they occupy using the least restrictive LoF. In other words, it doesn't matter if it's Galactus standing one square away from the rim. You still can't shoot up at him, though he also can't shoot down to you.

So in the picture below, player 1 has Galactus on lower terrain, facing player 2's Fenris Wolf and T-Ray. All three characters are 1 square away from any edge of terrain.

There is no situation in which any character can draw a line of fire to an opposing character - for attack purposes, or outwit/perplex. Correct?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

galactus is loving huge and they can see him and he can see them

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"
I know I'm splitting a case with friends, but I couldn't help myself and bought a brick just for me. Pulled 3D-Man and King Thor.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
The Moon has it right. Galactus has Great Size (due to being colossal), which means that he can draw lines of fire (and have lines of fire drawn to him) as if he existed every elevation above the one he currently occupies. So, he and people on elevation 2 have no problems seeing each other, even though he is on elevation 1. If he were standard-sized, the only characters on that map that could see each other would be the Wolf and T-Ray.

Also worth noting - Fenris Wolf also has Great Size (due to being giant). That only allows you to see UP, though, not down. So from where he is, Fenris cannot see elevation 1, as there is a square of elevation 2 in the way, and standard characters on elevation 1 can't see up to him.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

the los rules loving suck btw

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I AM THE MOON posted:

the los rules loving suck btw

They're about as good as they can get without becoming horribly complicated, though. They just need to tweak how blocking terrain works indoor vs. outdoor and maybe fix the quirk of being unable to draw LoF through a diagonal when you're trying to draw LoF to/from the middle of an L-shape of elevated.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

They're about as good as they can get without becoming horribly complicated, though. They just need to tweak how blocking terrain works indoor vs. outdoor and maybe fix the quirk of being unable to draw LoF through a diagonal when you're trying to draw LoF to/from the middle of an L-shape of elevated.

I guess most of it I can wrap my brain around, but it seems odd Superman couldn't just float up 10 feet to shoot Metallo on a rooftop.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It's not hard as long as you remember that everybody is loving idiots and gets confused if they try to see multiple elevations at once.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Red posted:

I guess most of it I can wrap my brain around, but it seems odd Superman couldn't just float up 10 feet to shoot Metallo on a rooftop.

Really, the best thing you can do when it comes down to really understanding the mechanics of HeroClix is to throw common sense right out of the window. It gets really weird when multibase figures get into the mix, because you might not be able to shoot someone next to a peanut base figure, but then you can't shoot the peanut base figure because it's in the way of itself-

A is the attacker, B is blocking terrain, Pp is a peanut base figure, and T is the guy you want to shoot.

AXXXXX
BBBPpT

P blocks LoF to T. P blocks LoF to p. B blocks LoF to P. It makes absolutely no sense realistically, but that's how the LoF rules shake out. I've known a couple of venues to try and house rule "common sense" things like this, but that way lies madness. Pretty soon regulars were like little kids with force fields when playing cops and robbers, new people didn't want to go because the rules were crazy, and then Clix died there.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Red posted:

This was actually possible once upon a time.

God I miss flight stands :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Sanschel posted:

This was actually possible once upon a time.

God I miss flight stands :(

Actually, I don't think the old "Soaring" rules worked like that, did they? I thought you weren't able to attack anybody while soaring unless they were also soaring.

• Locked thread