Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

YF19pilot posted:

You can change the scale with pretty much any game, as long as you scale up/down the ranges as appropriate. It's been a sort of wishful project of mine to build two Micro Armor armies to Flames of War specs, and more or less build a table based around the city and LGS I played at. But the LGS I played at was run by a bad person, so I might just do it with another city as the basis.

Well, you could keep the city, just turn the LGS into a crater :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well, you could keep the city, just turn the LGS into a crater :v:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So I got the big FoW book, and I got like 80-odd late war Gerrys from Wargames Factory. Naturally, I have more questions.

Looking at the Grenadierkompany, I can opt in some Panzerschrecks on the HQ. Are these 2 Teams to a medium base or 1 Team on a small base, twice? The little man Graphic on the list shows two teams on separate lines.
In general I should follow the guidance of the little man graphic on the list entry for squads?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The little man graphic is correct. I've never come across a situation in which it wasn't. I dunno what the Panzerschrecks are like from the new book, but in the older lists they were normally four dudes on a medium base.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

The little man graphic is correct. I've never come across a situation in which it wasn't. I dunno what the Panzerschrecks are like from the new book, but in the older lists they were normally four dudes on a medium base.

I believe there are 2 Panzerschreck variants, one on medium bases and one on small bases. I think D-Day Panzer Lehr can take both kinds, and the medium base has a higher ROF or something. But Margaret Thatcher is completely correct, if it shows 2 guys, it's a small base.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

DiHK posted:

So I got the big FoW book, and I got like 80-odd late war Gerrys from Wargames Factory. Naturally, I have more questions.

Looking at the Grenadierkompany, I can opt in some Panzerschrecks on the HQ. Are these 2 Teams to a medium base or 1 Team on a small base, twice? The little man Graphic on the list shows two teams on separate lines.
In general I should follow the guidance of the little man graphic on the list entry for squads?

If you've got the Forces book what you are looking at is a Panzerschreck team. Its four or five dudes on one medium base. If its the one I'm thinking of the grpahic looks weird, like two two-man teams diagonal from each other, which may make it seem like 2 teams but it's just one. What does the entry actually say? Does it give you the option to buy two Panzerschreck teams (sometimes called tank-hunter teams)?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
You're right, it lists it as one anti tank team/section with the staggered graphic, where the mortars list 2 separate teams. Shucks, I went and glued them to small bases last night.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath Complete

Okay, this month I almost bit off more than I could chew..... So get ready for several hundred British soldiers! This is an entire BEF 1914 division for Great War Spearhead.

The command staff, Howitzers, Engineers and Cavalry.

Three a batteries of 18pnders

One brigade of infantry, now I could take photos of the other two individually, but that wouldn't really show the scale.

ONE WHOLE DIVISION! (I will admit, there was a point in this where I was singing "Just keep flocking, Just keep flocking" to myself. Phew, Done now, all I need to do at some point is the Germans......)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Gamecraft Miniatures (whose terrain I love) has a 20% discount on all Microarmor right now. The discount applies in the cart, so just take off 20% when you look at the regular pricing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Not a wargame, but I thought some might be interested

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...n-pictures.html

quote:

A huge diorama of the Battle of Waterloo has been restored to its spectacular former glory after a painstaking cleaning operation to remove 40 years of dust from 31,000 figures on it. Conservationists Kelvin and Mary Thatcher spent five months blowing and sucking grime off the 21,500 toy soldiers and 10,000 horses that make up the 25 square metre model of the battlefield. They also glued back together scores of severed limbs, lost swords and displaced cannonballs during their meticulous work on the sweeping panorama. The pristine model has now gone back on display under a new glass roof at the Royal Green Jackets Museum in Winchester, Hants, to mark the 200th anniversary of Waterloo

It's 1/72 and basically begging for someone to print out a copy of Little Wars

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

quote:

Kelvin and Mary Thatcher spent five months blowing and sucking

My goodness.

E: Oh I can make it even better with some selective editing:

quote:

Kelvin and Mary Thatcher spent five months blowing and sucking [...] off [...] 21,500 [...] soldiers and 10,000 horses [...].

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I played Operation Barras: Assault on Magbeni from Bush Wars last night in Force on Force with one player controlling the West Side Boys and one taking each of the two short British 1st Para platoons. It was, honestly, a hillariously one-sided scenario. There's literally nothing that the West Side Boys player can do to win it except run away and hope the British player doesn't have LoS to the boats. There was a dust-storm AND heavy rain limiting movement to 6", fire combat to 18" and no optimum range at all while also grounding all air support, played on a board 1/3rd bigger than the scenario calls for and yet we still managed to easily win just by getting LoS to the docks and using the LAWs that every fireteam carried. Two seriously wounded and two lightly wounded Brits from 53, and the Lynx only managed to make one gun run while the Hind never even showed up thanks to lots of cards. It was just... did ANYONE playtest it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I'm selling off scale models and board games. Check my SA Mart thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717794&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post444870001

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What can you dudes tell me about the invincibility of krupp steel? I'm very tempted by that plastic Panther/Jadpanther IV kit because they look cool, Panthers are better than tigers, and magnets. But there's a couple of articles that suggest all Pz I Vs and maybe StuGs, because points and weight of fire.

I'm planning to add tanks and a mortar squad to the following to start.

quote:

German Grenadier
Infantry Company, from Forces, page 44

Compulsory Grenadier Company HQ (p.44) - CinC SMG, 2iC SMG (40 pts)
- Upgrade CinC SMG to CinC Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)
- Upgrade 2iC SMG to 2iC Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)
- Panzerschrek (25 pts)
- 2x 8cm GW34 mortar (55 pts)
- Sniper (50 pts)

Compulsory Grenadier Platoon (p.45) - Command Rifle/MG, 4x Rifle/MG (110 pts)
- Replace Command Rifle/MG with Command Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)

Grenadier Machine-gun Platoon (p.45) - Command SMG, 4x MG34 HMG (135 pts)

Grenadier Mortar Platoon (p.46) - Command SMG, 3x Observer Rifle, 6x 8cm GW34 mortar (180 pts)

Panzer Platoon (p.35) - Command Panther A, 2x Panther A (560 pts)

Tank-Hunter Platoon (p.49) - Command Jagdpanzer IV, Jagdpanzer IV (190 pts)

1495 Points, 6 Platoons

COMPARED TO

German Grenadier
Infantry Company, from Forces, page 44

Compulsory Grenadier Company HQ (p.44) - CinC SMG, 2iC SMG (40 pts)
- Upgrade CinC SMG to CinC Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)
- Upgrade 2iC SMG to 2iC Panzerknacker SMG (5 pts)
- 2x 8cm GW34 mortar (55 pts)
- 2x Sniper (100 pts)

Grenadier Machine-gun Platoon (p.45) - Command SMG, 4x MG34 HMG (135 pts)

Grenadier Mortar Platoon (p.46) - Command SMG, 3x Observer Rifle, 6x 8cm GW34 mortar (180 pts)

Panzer Platoon (p.35) - Command Panzer IV H, 4x Panzer IV H (450 pts)

Assault Gun Platoon (p.50) - Command StuH42, 2x StuH42 (285 pts)

1500 Points, 6 Platoons

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
German tanks have their upsides and downsides. They can take hits and dish out punishment, but like you noted if you're relying on them to do the bulk of your shooting you're going to find yourself at a numbers disadvantage real quick. Going all Panzer IVs and StuGs has its risks as well, though, since by late war FA 6 and 7 isn't exactly amounting to much. The best solution IMO would be to take mixed numbers of both, taking a small number of Panthers to serve as survivable AT or to lock down a flank, and use your cheaper tanks to fill the bulk of your line. That's how I've used Pershings with my Americans, and it's generally worked out pretty well.

With regard to the specific lists you posted, either one looks good. Two platoons of tanks should be more than enough to back up your infantry in either case, and both have their benefits and drawbacks-the Panthers have higher AT but lower numbers, and the Panzer IVs allow you to bring StuH 42s, which are excellent tanks for throwing around smoke and blowing up infantry. If possible I'd borrow or proxy some models and play a few matches with both lists before you buy anything, just to see which one suits your playstyle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm not sure Snipers are ever worth taking in FoW since I've never seen them do basically anything of note, and I can't remember if upgrading your CiC and 2iC to Panzerfaust is actually worth doing or not but if you drop all that you might get an extra tank into the first list, and definitely will in the second.

You plan to combat-attach the HQ mortars to the existing platoon for that tasty tasty 8-gun salvo, right?

Kim987
Sep 11, 2008
Drop the Snipers, they are complete poo poo. I wouldn't bother with the ekstra HQ mortars. 6 or 8 guns doesn't make a differance. Use the points to get full combat platoons. Germans need the numbers as the platoons are small enough as they are.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
The sniper is only there to fill the points gap. I don't have the grenadiers to take 2 full platoons, but I'll look into getting a few more, seems like a better way to fill points.

My plan with the hq mortar team was to leave them separate for smoke options and let the big team do the blowing up dudes thing, also theoretically allowing me to pass on the StuH.

I dunno, I like Panthers, but I'm not a big fan of the jagpanzer and there's way cooler td's/assault guns out there.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

DiHK posted:

there's way cooler td's/assault guns out there.

This is a correct opinion.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Tru story bro
I just found a 5 pack of them for 27 USD on Amazon. I couldn't pass up such a low low price. Grabbed a platoon of Nazis too, also for nearly 50% off.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I was impressed with this Gallipoli diorama when I thought it was 28mm minis.

Then I read that it was 54mm scale. Peter Jackson and the Perry Twins are crazy.

http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.co.nz/2015/05/first-pics-of-massive-gallipoli-diorama.html

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I was one of the NZ wargamers who painted models and assisted with the huge work of touch up painting and assembling at Weta. Really good community feel to have the entire (small) country worth of gamers working on a commemoration which will last for years. It was amazing to see the Perry's in action. Too many with the same head? a few minutes later a new batch of models with newly sculpted heads appeared from a lump of green stuff.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Those pictures don't really encompass how massive that diorama really is; somewhere amongst the throng is 18 Turks that I painted.

I was lucky enough to be in the right place and the right time so I was able to help flock and ready the diorama on a couple of weekends.

Circled is approximately my little bit of Chunuk Bair :3:.

Overall my contribution was tiny but it was a pretty cool to have the opportunity to be part of it. The Perrys are top blokes too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's something to be proud of man.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

quote:

This 10-metre diorama with five thousand 54mm miniature figures

:stare:

Seriously though, that is amazing stuff. Kudos to the goons (and everyone else) who worked on it. :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah, great work on the diorama, and I'd love it if there were something similar around here where you could pitch in with some painting.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I think it's cool that the former head of the New Zealand Defence Force, Lt. Gen. Rhys Jones, got New Zealand gamers to do the painting because he also loves war dollies.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone experimented with the Vickers K LMG in Bolt Action for the British? I know that the 20 points for an LMG in a squad is kind of a sore spot for Bolt Action players, so much so that some leagues/tournaments house-rule them to 5 points instead. Until that's officially errata'd though, we're playing them as the book says. Originally I assumed that it was a fixed weapon, but it's not: they can move and fire an LMG if needed. Here's the 1000pt list I'm thinking about running:

2nd Lieutenant (Inexperienced, 35)
Commando Section NCO+7 (Rifles, LMG + Vickers K, 151)
Veteran Infantry Section NCO+7 (Rifles, 104)
Sniper Team (50)
Light Artillery (55)
Staghound (145)
Cromwell (205)

I'm a little hesitant about only nine command dice. If you've got a British list, I'm interested in seeing it, because I've only played about ten games so far while learning the rules. Plus, I'm a card gamer at heart so this is all new to me.

Edit: I tried building a list last night, and I'm not sure LMGs are worth it.

An eight man squad of Commandos is 112 points. With the rapid fire rule, that's 10 shots.
A seven man squad of Commandos with an LMG upgraded to a Vickers K (four shots instead of three) is 123 points. With the rapid fire rule, that's also 10 shots.

The difference between them is that the LMG squad is 11 points more, has one less man, and the only benefit is that I can shoot four dice an extra six inches. There's been a push on the Bolt Action forums to make LMGs cost at most 10 points instead of 20, but so far it hasn't been addressed by the official rules team.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 7, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

LintMan posted:

I was one of the NZ wargamers who painted models and assisted with the huge work of touch up painting and assembling at Weta. Really good community feel to have the entire (small) country worth of gamers working on a commemoration which will last for years. It was amazing to see the Perry's in action. Too many with the same head? a few minutes later a new batch of models with newly sculpted heads appeared from a lump of green stuff.

Dang dude. I might be all nerd-starry eyed but that is like a wargamer experience of a lifetime.

muggins fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 9, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

BJPaskoff posted:

Has anyone experimented with the Vickers K LMG in Bolt Action for the British? I know that the 20 points for an LMG in a squad is kind of a sore spot for Bolt Action players, so much so that some leagues/tournaments house-rule them to 5 points instead. Until that's officially errata'd though, we're playing them as the book says. Originally I assumed that it was a fixed weapon, but it's not: they can move and fire an LMG if needed. Here's the 1000pt list I'm thinking about running:

2nd Lieutenant (Inexperienced, 35)
Sniper Team (50)
Light Artillery (55)
Staghound (145)
Cromwell (205)

I'm a little hesitant about only nine command dice. If you've got a British list, I'm interested in seeing it, because I've only played about ten games so far while learning the rules. Plus, I'm a card gamer at heart so this is all new to me.

Edit: I tried building a list last night, and I'm not sure LMGs are worth it.

An eight man squad of Commandos is 112 points. With the rapid fire rule, that's 10 shots.
A seven man squad of Commandos with an LMG upgraded to a Vickers K (four shots instead of three) is 123 points. With the rapid fire rule, that's also 10 shots.

The difference between them is that the LMG squad is 11 points more, has one less man, and the only benefit is that I can shoot four dice an extra six inches. There's been a push on the Bolt Action forums to make LMGs cost at most 10 points instead of 20, but so far it hasn't been addressed by the official rules team.

Statistically the 20 pt LMG is not worth it. I would definitely recommend using the BoltAction.net format (basically a comp pack). I would recommend for your list above - take out the staghound and turn it into a few weapons teams. Mortars are awesome, an AT rifle could help, or maybe a sniper. That will help your order pool.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I just had to glue a metal tail onto a 28mm metal horse. Sympathize with me.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Did you pin it?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I didn't have a pin small enough. So now that tail is mocking me, just waiting to fall off during a game.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Beerdeer posted:

I just had to glue a metal tail onto a 28mm metal horse. Sympathize with me.

There there

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Try 20mm bipods onto SAWs and GPMGs. I just gave up in the end.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm up to highlighting on a Wargames Factory Nazi Grenadier company. I'm not super pleased with the minis but then I rember that it was 18 USD so w/e. I am fairly pleased with my job on them, considering its my first go with tiny soldier mans. 15mm is... interesting, coming from 28mm.

Anyway, more FoW questions:

Tiger 1E, Pz IV H, StuG, StuH, and Panther A through D are ok for mid and late war, right? Battlefronts store is not clear about this, for instance the single Tiger 1 E is M/L but the platoon box is only Late.

Also, the older books that are still available have been updated for 3rd? I remember, for example, Fortress Europe being around the last time I looked into it which was during 2nd edition. OTOH, Ostfront has been replaced by Grey Wolf(?)

Mainly I'm looking for lists that allow me to combine StuGs and StuHs and still have room for other tanks. Devils Charge, Nuts and Grey Wolf all have good canidates. Grey Wolf seems like it's the beefiest, but frankly I'm more interested in the history around Devil's charge/Nuts. What are you guys' feelings on the late war German books, game and warrior wise?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Not a question so much as a gleeful comment. The US rifle company in Devil's Charge can take 88s as a support option. :rubshands:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

DiHK posted:

Anyway, more FoW questions:

Tiger 1E, Pz IV H, StuG, StuH, and Panther A through D are ok for mid and late war, right? Battlefronts store is not clear about this, for instance the single Tiger 1 E is M/L but the platoon box is only Late.

Also, the older books that are still available have been updated for 3rd? I remember, for example, Fortress Europe being around the last time I looked into it which was during 2nd edition. OTOH, Ostfront has been replaced by Grey Wolf(?)

Mainly I'm looking for lists that allow me to combine StuGs and StuHs and still have room for other tanks. Devils Charge, Nuts and Grey Wolf all have good canidates. Grey Wolf seems like it's the beefiest, but frankly I'm more interested in the history around Devil's charge/Nuts. What are you guys' feelings on the late war German books, game and warrior wise?

Re: the Tiger, I think it has to do with whether the kit is modeled with zimmerit and what kind of copula it's using. Minor details that don't actually make a lick of difference except to the most :spergin: grogs.

Pretty much all of Late War has been updated for V3. The old Fortress Europe was replaced by the Turning Tide/Earth and Steel books which have since been supplanted by the Overlord/Atlantik Wall set. Midwar is still V2, but considered well enough balanced to work with the V3 rules; although there are some FAQ changes I believe. Same with Early War for all except the latest releases (Rising Sun and Barbarossa).

The whole Battle of the Bulge series (Blood, Guts, & Glory; Nuts; Devil's Charge) is a pretty good set, and was kind of the "game changer" for American armor in Flames of War. Many a German player wept that they were no longer able to just pick off allied armor, and now actually had to play the game if they wanted to win. Otherwise, some pretty solid formations for the Germans, and some "interesting" units like the war crime Panthers and StuGs. I believe it is also the first book (chronologically speaking) that introduces King Tigers to the Western Front, as well as the Jagdtigers. I could be wrong on the former, but I'm certain on the latter.

Beardless posted:

Not a question so much as a gleeful comment. The US rifle company in Devil's Charge can take 88s as a support option. :rubshands:

And they get to use them as artillery!

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

DiHK posted:

What can you dudes tell me about the invincibility of krupp steel? I'm very tempted by that plastic Panther/Jadpanther IV kit because they look cool, Panthers are better than tigers, and magnets. But there's a couple of articles that suggest all Pz I Vs and maybe StuGs, because points and weight of fire.

I'm planning to add tanks and a mortar squad to the following to start.

This list brings up a couple points worth talking about.

First, German infantry. If you want to play anything other than pure tank lists you should put together the following 4x Panzerfaust SMG Command Teams and 12x German infantry teams with MG figures on most bases. This gives you the core of nearly all German lists in both Mid-War and Late-War. The same infantry teams can reasonably be played as Grenadier Rifle teams, Rifle/MG teams, or Panzergrenadier MG teams since I've never run into anyone who cares about the correct distribution of MG to rifle figures on an infantry stand. Sometimes your CiC, 2iC, and platoon command teams are run as Panzerknacker or just straight SMG teams but this is easily explained away to your opponent.

Next, the lists that you posted can't actually attach out the 2 HQ mortars like you think. Because of the rules about spreading out your attaching teams you could only attach one to the mortar platoon, the other would have to go somewhere else. I could go into this more if you'd like but I'll leave out my opinions on the Combat Attaching rules for now. You should ask yourself "Why mortars?" They have some issues, if they get pinned they can't bombard, they have limited range so need to be relatively close to the enemy to shoot effectively, thus they are vulnerable. Their firepower is so low that while they can threaten infantry that is moving, as soon as those infantry are dug in the mortars are basically worthless. The Germans get other better artillery options, like 15cm Nebelwerfers and Panzerwerfer 42s though apparently not in the Forces lists.

Don't take snipers, sadly they suck and basically don't do anything.

Your lists lack two things I think are basically essential to a well rounded German list, those are reconnaissance or some kind and something to deal with the AOP/aircraft. You probably haven't experienced the ubiquitous AOP but it is a mess, I really think it should just be banned, but it's not, so you need to either get your own planes to chase it off or bring AA assets. Also, if you play awhile you'll realize that the only way to shift large dug in infantry and guns is to lift their GtG status with recon units and then pound them with direct fire.

Based on you post I'm going to assume that you want to run Panthers (yes, evidence suggests they are still quite good against most opponents) which is cool. I'm going to suggest you build the Panzergrenadier Company from Forces since it has much better options and you have access to the lists. If you don't want to build and paint all of those trucks then just ignore them, I find they rarely see the table anyway.

HQ
2x Command Panzerfaust teams
1x Panzerschreck team
90pts

2x Panzergrenadier Platoon
1x Command Panzerfaust team
6x MG team
2x 195pts

Panzer Platoon
3x Panther tanks
560pts

Assault Gun Platoon
3x StuH 42
285pts

Panzerspah Patrol
2x Sd Kfz 231 (8-rad)
80pts

Panzergrenadier Anti-Aircraft gun Platoon
3x Sd Kfz 10/2
90 pts

Total 1495pts

Though it lacks indirect fire capabilities I feel like this makes a good all around German list that runs Panthers and is mostly compatible with Mid-War. If you're curious about choices I'm happy to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
You guys were right, as I sort of suspected: 25 points for an LMG is just not worth it, even at four shots. The most use I got was being able to fire it out of a window instead of a rifle, netting me +3 shots that one turn.

Reading the Bolt Action forums, I picked up a bit of strategy. I saw quite a few players not really using tanks. Previously my playgroup's meta had been to take two platoons so we could take two tanks, even if we had to do silly things like take two inexperienced 2nd Lieutenants with no backup at 35 points each. Since we all took at least four infantry squads anyway, it was like the extra tank cost +35pts. Tanks are surprisingly fragile in Bolt Action if another tank hits them, so I wanted to see what would happen if I took just an armored car (the Staghound) and a few anti-tank options. I run the British, and this would've been easier if I was Germans where I could take panzerfausts in my infantry squads, but here's my list:

2nd Lieutenant :: Regular :: +2 men :: 70 pts.
Commando Section :: Veteran :: NCO + 7 rifle men :: 112 pts.
Free Forward Observer (Artillery) :: Regular :: +2 men :: 20 pts.
Heavy Mortar Team :: Inexperienced :: 46 pts.
Sniper Team :: Veteran :: 65 pts.
Boys Anti-Tank Rifle Team :: Veteran :: 39 pts.
Light Artillery :: Regular :: 55 pts.
Staghound :: Regular :: 145 pts.

I've only played one game so far. The Boys AT Rifle actually harassed my opponent's two Shermans pretty well. They were able to get side shots, and were hard to hit and Vets are hard to kill, so he had to try to maneuver around them instead of killing them - but that put him in range of my light artillery (the British one also acts as a light AT gun) and Staghound. Recce is incredible and let me zip out and take a shot at his side, and then zip back behind a building when the Staghound was targeted. I killed the Shermans and then all he was left with was four squads of Marines.

Other fun things that game were my opponent's preparatory bombardment not coming in, and rolling a 1 on my forward artillery observer that had targeted the area right between his two tanks. Thankfully all he could move it to was two of my Commando sections and put a few pins on them each.