Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

I lied. I didn't have a rake. So instead for 8 hours today I picked up this trash by hand and all the other trash on whats maybe 500 acres.
Why on earth is there so much trash on the property?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 6, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This is waaaay too easy

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Dude....

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Methanar posted:

It's 5 minutes from an aboriginal reservation.
That certainly explains why the garbage consists entirely of Orient Express coffee cups and Chinese frozen dinners

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Lol this thread owns

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

I lied. I didn't have a rake. So instead for 8 hours today I picked up this trash by hand and all the other trash on whats maybe 500 acres.

I thought about this. Then I realized it didn't excuse anything.

lol

This actually made me feel better, until my back got sore.

I hope it snows so the land is extra miserable so I can finally force myself to go talk to someone.

I tried to go and talk to the guy who gave me a personal speech on the first day and made me feel somewhat valued, 3 times, but he wasn't around or in his office for any of them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

ahahaha gently caress this thread

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

So how about those sports

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, I'm looking into those now. The only thing that gives me pause is that the biggest models they have still only do like 3000 watts, and my PoE switches have the potential to go way over that. Which is why it's extra terrifying they're running from daisy chained dollar store strips right now.

get on my level

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I picked up trash at the mountain yesterday, too, but it was voluntary and they gave us all pizza for helping out. Keeps the Forestry Service happy, and I didn't have to answer any tickets for 4 hours.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

flosofl posted:

Some work is more valuable than other work. That's why some roles have higher salaries or hourly rates than others. I'm not making value judgements on a person when I say that a systems engineer's work is more valuable than someone's who stocks toilet paper in the bathroom.

Hi, market value vs. value judgements was already covered. I meant "my work is more valuable than your work" in terms of a value judgement, not what the market will bear. Nobody's disagreeing that some work is worth a higher market rate.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

okay so who's the guy following Baby's names

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

Hi, market value vs. value judgements was already covered. I meant "my work is more valuable than your work" in terms of a value judgement, not what the market will bear. Nobody's disagreeing that some work is worth a higher market rate.

Got it. I'll have to admit my eyes started to glaze over after a while. Didn't mean to put words into your mouth.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

:yikes:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
If I got paid 90k to pick up trash all day I'd do it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

crunk dork posted:

Lol this thread owns

Best thread

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Brown glove service yall

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes when it snows I shovel the sidewalks if the landscapers are not prompt enough. I find that while it is not the best value proposition for my company, the immediate need should be addressed anyway.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This conversation is DAF levels of stupid.

Actually, this is what happens when we don't have him around to poo poo up the thread once a month. We find a way to poo poo it up ourselves.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've barely paid attention and don't even know what the conversation is about. I saw a guy say he cleaned up trash near aborigines and then a bunch of freaking out but I didn't really turn on my brain so I'm just kinda lost and glossing past it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've barely paid attention and don't even know what the conversation is about. I saw a guy say he cleaned up trash near aborigines and then a bunch of freaking out but I didn't really turn on my brain so I'm just kinda lost and glossing past it.

Cliff notes

*Shows up to new job, first few days goes well, 4th day he is handed a rake and told to rake dirt and clean up trash in the back yard of the workplace for a few days.
*Goons respond saying that blows and having an IT person rake dirt is probably a red flag.
*Goons respond with debate about being made janitors and lawn care people and someone tries to turn it into class-ism.
*I tell that person to go back to loving tumbler.
*Original poster responds back with a picture of said trash he picked up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
a company procured over-priced menial resources to reallocate items that had exceeded their life span

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

buy a roomba and put it down on the resume as automating a major sector of the company

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

SaltLick posted:

buy a roomba and put it down on the resume as automating a major sector of the company
A nail on a stick would be a lot cheaper.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I picked up trash at the mountain yesterday, too, but it was voluntary and they gave us all pizza for helping out. Keeps the Forestry Service happy, and I didn't have to answer any tickets for 4 hours.

I want to work where you work.

I haven't gone skiing in years.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

This conversation is DAF levels of stupid.

Actually, this is what happens when we don't have him around to poo poo up the thread once a month. We find a way to poo poo it up ourselves.

Well

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852&perpage=40&pagenumber=392#post444968740

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I'm in awe.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

jaegerx posted:

E: and never be DAF

Days late (catching up from vacation), but a while back I saw a huge, tricked-out truck with the license plate "ITBUCKS". I immediately thought of DAF :allears: This is even funnier now that I'm fully caught up on the post quoted at the bottom...

On a more serious note, I'm definitely in the imposter syndrome club. Hell, even just in this thread there are several people who are around my age or younger, who are waaaaay more knowledgeable than me in areas I care deeply about (Linux, cloud computing, ~~DevOps~~, running an Ops organization), and it makes me want to reevaluate my position in the nerd pecking order. Recognizing that imposter syndrome is A Thing, and that you're doing it, goes a long way toward helping deal with it. Also, in all seriousness, I tell myself this pretty much verbatim when I catch myself thinking I'm not good enough to get paid well to do this poo poo:

NZAmoeba posted:

Also think about the lovely co-workers people complain about in this thread. They still have jobs.

You'll be fine.

And finally:

:lol::lol::lol:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

quote:

I learned there are way more coolerthings in life like being a cosplay dude asked by vendors to come along.

lol

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
They're renaming the IT Dept to 'devops'? Was that a serious post?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Garrand posted:

I want to work where you work.

I haven't gone skiing in years.

It comes at the cost of the right salary, but not enough that I mind too much.

E: I mean, I work on a loving mountain and I get to ski whenever I want.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Swink posted:

They're renaming the IT Dept to 'devops'? Was that a serious post?

Bearing in mind these are the threads that brought us the tetris VDI and the spec bucket laptop, what does your heart tell you?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
No that was actually a serious post.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

Cliff notes

*Shows up to new job, first few days goes well, 4th day he is handed a rake and told to rake dirt and clean up trash in the back yard of the workplace for a few days.
*Goons respond saying that blows and having an IT person rake dirt is probably a red flag.
*Goons respond with debate about being made janitors and lawn care people and someone tries to turn it into class-ism.
*I tell that person to go back to loving tumbler.
*Original poster responds back with a picture of said trash he picked up with his bare hands because he wasn't given the aforementioned rake.
FTFY

This has got to be a joke of some kind. I refuse to believe that this can actually happen.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Had the phone interview today and the position is not quite as high as I thought it would be. I'd be working as part of a team of 20 or so people, monitoring and maintaining a virtual environment with about 120 servers across 10 locations. Would be lots of OTJ experience with SANs, fibre channel, updates, installs, etc. Didn't discuss pay, but my gut is telling me they might (and this is just a spitball guess on my part) go as high as $75-80k.

I'm still ambivalent about the position, especially when the guy starts going "okay, no enterprise storage experience - that's a setback. No enterprise system updating - that's a setback. No NetApp experience - that's a setback. No..." on and on for a couple minutes. At that point I wanted to tell him that interviewing is a two-way street, and he was doing a drat good job of turning off any interest I had in the position. Of course, the PM is sitting there with me and looks over during this time and mouths "No it's not," and gives me a thumbs-up. After we get off the phone he told me that he thinks I did pretty well and that the guy is somewhat blunt spoken. He also said that I actually have a lot more experience in the vSphere environment than the other 3 candidates they have to interview - their only advantage is that they already live near Langley AFB and two of them have NetApp experience.

I tried to end the interview on a positive note and told the guy that I've spent the last 9 years taking on positions of increasing complexity and responsibility, going from helpdesk, to desktop support, to junior systems admin, to Exchange admin, and that I'm looking to take the next step up and be a virtualization admin. I've got a broad range of skills, but more importantly I have the mindset that learning is a life-long occupation.

Of course, Mr Sunny Disposition informs me that some of my certs are functionally useless to him, specifically all the VCA certs. I replied back along the lines of "You wanted a listing of all the certs I have. I gave you most of them, only leaving out my teaching certification. I know the VCA certs aren't all that valuable, but when it comes to this position I'd like you to compare the fact that I'm getting ready to take the exam for VCP5 and that I have some VMware certs, versus candidates who don't even have them. Is it better to not have any certs listed, or certs with minimal value that at least indicate I have an interest in the technology?" The PM drat near hugged me after the interviewer thanked me for spending the time to speak with him.

As I told my buddy on the phone, coming across as an rear end in a top hat wasn't a check in the plus column for me to accept the position. I like that the position will give me lots of exposure across multiple platforms and technologies, but unless I'm getting compensated by an outrageous amount then I'm not going to subject myself to working for a jackass who might think it's his mission in life to make me miserable - been there, done that (and I vowed I would never let it happen to me again).

It's too early to tell if I even made the cut for the position, but it feels like the PM is in my corner and wants me to get the position, plus as I am an alum with the sub-contractor with sterling reviews and comments in my file I've got a leg up over the other three applicants - the company pays very close attention to the project and task leads opinions, and all of mine were 100% positive about me. The only reason I even left them was because they had to trade me away to the prime contractor to move me into my current position - I would have been more than happy to stay with them if I could have.

They want someone in the position by Friday, but I've already told them that I'll need 3 weeks to relocate, especially since there's no relocation assistance. I'll already incur a pretty hefty fee for breaking my lease 3 months early. I'm not going to add burning any bridges to go along with it by giving such little notice. poo poo like that has a habit of coming back to bite you in the rear end when you least expect it.

I interviewed for my previous job with a hardass asking technical questions, who had a similar bluntness. This person was my manager at the job and the major reason why I left it.

If the guy asking the questions would be your manager, don't do it. The other guy at my interview was the department director, who was a really wonderful guy, but not the one I interacted with on a normal basis to do my job. You do not want a Peter Principle'd engineer as your manager unless they have a wonderful people streak. Someone who happily rattles off your non-qualifications without remorse is the living example of a Peter Principle'd engineer.

Methanar posted:

"Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 6, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Quote =/= edit

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Picking up trash for a lot of money would be cool if you could smoke before and during it I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I was interviewed and work closely with the head of our Infrastructure department. He's a foul mouthed sexist who loudly dominates every meeting to the point where I don't invite him to about half of the meetings I schedule because nothing I need to get done will get done because he will very loudly talk about whatever agenda he thinks is appropriate versus what has to get done.

He's really competent on the tech side but he's basically a symptom of bad manager: he got where he is not because he's a great manager or super organized but because he volunteered for everything and anything, he never stopped asking questions about anything that ever came up to look invested, and anytime, literally anytime you'd send him an email he would respond with a dozen options and questions because ~he cares just so much about the job~. He says he has a family and personal life but considering the hours he's available and working (all of them, all hours) I kind of doubt it. He's the guy who is actively participating on a conference call when he's taken PTO because of sickness.

He's the one thing I actively dislike about my otherwise great job and has driven me to job sites a few times when he's gotten in a bad mood and taken in out on me. Something about a guy who when in a bad mood will go from 'good job with all of this poo poo you've been handling' to "you're so loving incompetent I don't know why we keep you around, you'll be gone within the year if I have my way' is frustrating.

tldr gently caress IT managers