Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Was it in Chain of Dogs when someone accidentally busts a sapper down a few ranks causing him to cry with joy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Spermy Smurf posted:

Was it in Chain of Dogs when someone accidentally busts a sapper down a few ranks causing him to cry with joy?

The first part is in chain of dogs, the other part is in TCG well what do you think can make sappers cry with joy?

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?

Habibi posted:

Yeah, I forget the specific but there was an allusion along those lines made by a T'lan some of them encountered.

Just wait till a reread, when you realize they're not so much easter eggs as a ton of history, mythology, and general background that doesn't all jump out at you until your third time on a given book.

When you finish Midnight Tides, come back, read this spoiler, and let us know if you catch that the Edur Bugg kills at the end is the one QB and co. stumble across, it having washed up from the ocean, in MoI.

Heh this reminds me of how in House of Chains Karsa and the other prisoner are in an oddly flooded warren, which of course is the same one that was in Deadhouse Gates, including the same boat with the same , though still living at the time, group of Tiste Edur who make the awful mistake of trying to get Karsa to kneel before them. Despite the scene's violence I was almost giddy when I realized it was that same boat. On top of all of this Ruhulad commands the warlock king to flood a warren with the great river that the demon mentioned to Trull Sengar, right down to the weird rear end metamorphosing cat fish. One of my favorite moments in the series so far, so dense with details, hehe.

Bellicose Buddha fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 15, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Bellicose Buddha posted:

Heh this reminds me of how in House of Chains Karsa and the other prisoner are in an oddly flooded warren, which of course is the same one that was in Deadhouse Gates, including the same boat with the same , though still living at the time, group of Tiste Edur who make the awful mistake of trying to get Karsa to kneel before them. Despite the scene's violence I was almost giddy when I realized it was that same boat. On top of all of this Ruhulad commands the warlock king to flood a warren with the great river that the demon mentioned to Trull Sengar, right down to the weird rear end metamorphosing cat fish. One of my favorite moments in the series so far, so dense with details, hehe.

I'm fairly sure those guys show up again at some point and get beat down, again. They had a bad time. :allears:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The Liosan beat down crew was by far the best group with bad luck.
Paraphrasing but: "we should... re-evaluate our position"

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I agree with the criticism of Michael Page in the audiobooks, but it be said: he does a fantastic Hellian.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

zeal posted:

I agree with the criticism of Michael Page in the audiobooks, but it be said: he does a fantastic Hellian.

This would be worth a lot. She's one of those characters I started off despising, but grew to like over time. I'm 50% through TCG and I still can't tell if she's serious or just maintaining the longest-running troll ever, disguising a hidden genius. I don't think her squad knows either.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Man House of Chains is hard to get into at the beginning. Especially after the epicness of the MoI climax.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
But you must witness.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?

zeal posted:

I still miss Ralph Lister. Page is okay I think, he just needed time to grow into it.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I love when people mention less talked about books in the series like House of Chains because I am flooded with badass moments I had forgotten about.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Bellicose Buddha posted:

To make it even more interesting, the captain that got killed on the boat by Karsa is Benadas Sengar, Rhulad and Trulls brother, which makes the ending of Reapers Gale more interesting.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cardiac posted:

To make it even more interesting, the captain that got killed on the boat by Karsa is Benadas Sengar, Rhulad and Trulls brother, which makes the ending of Reapers Gale more interesting.

And the heads are the parents/relatives of the Andii from Nimander's group. Good times.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
I'm finally getting into Forge of Darkness after a bit of downtime from the main series. It wasn't anything momentous but drat if it didn't move me and I almost fist pump on the plane I was in: When Rake met Brood for the first time but I will say one thing that I'm not a fan of is that nearly all main POV's are whiny and or self loathing. I mean, I know what Erickson's going for but still it kind of grates on me.

Quick question about characters, I'm trying to remember certain things and didn't want to find a spoiler elsewhere Orfantal is the brother of the Andii that was in love with Whiskeyjack right? She's not Korya who's also a POV character right? I'm just assuming she's born while Sandalath is in her second stint as a hostage (which I just got to)

Thanks for the answers and drat did I miss this world.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

thecallahan posted:

I'm finally getting into Forge of Darkness after a bit of downtime from the main series. It wasn't anything momentous but drat if it didn't move me and I almost fist pump on the plane I was in: When Rake met Brood for the first time but I will say one thing that I'm not a fan of is that nearly all main POV's are whiny and or self loathing. I mean, I know what Erickson's going for but still it kind of grates on me.

Quick question about characters, I'm trying to remember certain things and didn't want to find a spoiler elsewhere Orfantal is the brother of the Andii that was in love with Whiskeyjack right? She's not Korya who's also a POV character right? I'm just assuming she's born while Sandalath is in her second stint as a hostage (which I just got to)

Thanks for the answers and drat did I miss this world.

Yes, that other Andii is Korlat. IIRC Orfantal was younger, but I could be wrong.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

Yes, that other Andii is Korlat. IIRC Orfantal was younger, but I could be wrong.

Do we actually know the full back story of Korlat? Is she younger or older than Orfantal?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cardiac posted:

Do we actually know the full back story of Korlat? Is she younger or older than Orfantal?

I don't recall specifics, I have the impression that some of Korlat or Sandolath's musings in the latter books suggest that Korlat was the older one.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Habibi posted:

I don't recall specifics, I have the impression that some of Korlat or Sandolath's musings in the latter books suggest that Korlat was the older one.

Orfantal was the Andii that Erikson accidentally changed genders between books, right?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm only two books in but one thing I've really started to appreciate about these books especially is Erikson's sense of humor. It's always there lurking in the background, and occasionally comes up to take center stage in really hilarious ways.

I recently had the first episode I can remember in at least 10 years of laughing out loud at a book, and it was amazing (Deadhouse Gates) Coltaine "promoting" Mincer while Duiker and Lull try their damnedest not to laugh, that poo poo had me in stitches. Then Duiker explaining it and Coltaine's "I am defeated..." got another giggle out of me as well.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Having just finished Gardens of the Moon, is there any rhyme or reason to Oponn's schemes?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Lichtenstein posted:

Having just finished Gardens of the Moon, is there any rhyme or reason to Oponn's schemes?

If there is, I don't think it's ever explained.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

I also got the impression she was the older one.
Does Sandalath mention her in FoD?
I can't actually remember and she haven't been seen yet. She is not also a pure Tiste Andii, and that is why she joins the Shake in the end of TCG.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Lichtenstein posted:

Never explicitly spelled out, though it's implied they just like loving with people as the god of chance. They might have some sort of side in the series arc

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
So I just finished Return of the Crimson Guard and well I'm conflicted cause drat if there wasn't some cool stuff in that book but then ICE hits you with pages of KYLE and awkward mystery characters. From what I've gathered from the thread I'm in for more of latter then the former. I'd love to read more about the Malazan Empire particularly after the end of this book. With Mallick in control and almost all of the Old Guard out of the picture there's a lot of interesting avenues that could go

I'm pretty much a sucker for Malazan at this point so I'll probably read the rest anyway at some point but I'd like to know if I'm going to get any pay off in regards to the more empire specific stuff.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, all the other books are set in different places but you get some insights into what's happening in the Empire. The next two, Stonewielder and Orb Scepter Throne, aren't that bad are could be worth reading for you.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I'm starting the think these books are just too dense for me. I'm about 200 pages through Memories of Ice and usually have no idea who anyone is or what's going on.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's about five years old but someone put together a list on the Malazan Empire forums.
...it's even worse than I remembered :negative: I was a very different poster before SA

god that's embarassing

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Illuyankas posted:

...it's even worse than I remembered :negative: I was a very different poster before SA

god that's embarassing

TBF, that's a pretty cool list.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

"Draconus, Elder God of loving Your poo poo Up" always pops in my head when I'm reading the books and makes me laugh.

Don't feel bad.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Ross posted:

I'm starting the think these books are just too dense for me. I'm about 200 pages through Memories of Ice and usually have no idea who anyone is or what's going on.

You might want to consider listening via audiobook, like I do. Some people (like myself), while being perfectly capable of reading books, are better able to process and remember details aurally and it might help you a lot to use the audiobooks. Also, the first three audibooks by Ralph Lister are fantastic, as mentioned, while the rest by Michael Page are mostly good (he struggles a little on book 4).

Plus, if you're like me and you commute for work, drive or walk a good amount regularly then you'll be able to listen to audiobooks when you'd normally never be able to read a book. I don't think I'd be going through books so quickly and with such good recall without audiobooks; if you want to compromise and really maximize your comprehension, try listening to the audiobooks while reading along at the same time. Sometimes you might catch yourself zoning out while reading and just scanning down the page without processing it, or doing the same while listening to an audiobook, but having both going at the same time makes it a lot more engaging for your mind and gives you multiple ways to take in and imagine the details of the book playing out.

Also, are you reading really small amounts at a time? Because my girlfriend does that quite a bit (she's near the end of the first book, I finally got her to give it a shot and she's going to start Deadhouse Gates soon), like reading 1-3 pages and then stopping for a day, and it makes it really hard to actually remember the overall narrative and what things are happening.

Memories of Ice is a loving fantastic book, and an amazing audiobook too. I highly recommend you go back a chapter or two or more and read it over again for better comprehension, or, as I just realized, you could use the Malazan Re-Read of the Fallen, which is an in-depth analysis of every chapter, every PoV of every single book and will REALLY help you understand overarching themes and generally orient you to what's going on.

Here's the main page, scroll down for the list of each chapter sorted by book:

http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

Don't give up!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

mischief posted:

"Draconus, Elder God of loving Your poo poo Up" always pops in my head when I'm reading the books and makes me laugh.

Don't feel bad.

Shouldn't it be "Draconus, Elder God of loving up his own poo poo and then stepping in it".

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
This series is amazing to reread. All those little bits you gloss over become amazing when you actually have a background in it. It might not even be very insightful but just stuff like knowing what an Elder warren is and who it belongs to is nice.

I never reread anything but highly recommend it, time permitting of course.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 6, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Also, are you reading really small amounts at a time? Because my girlfriend does that quite a bit (she's near the end of the first book, I finally got her to give it a shot and she's going to start Deadhouse Gates soon), like reading 1-3 pages and then stopping for a day, and it makes it really hard to actually remember the overall narrative and what things are happening.

Yeah I do this a lot, not to the tune of 1-3 pages a day but I rarely read more than maybe 20 pages a day. It seems like the kind of books that you really need to just power through and I've been finding them too taxing to read to do that (not used to having to pay so much attention).

Part of my problem I think is that the chapters are so long that when one finishes and I've spent a few days on it, it then switches back to another POV and I've usually forgotten where this group is / where they're going / why they're going there / who's "side" if any they're on, or even who they are exactly unless it happens to be people from GOTM.

Audiobooks is a great suggestion, I will give that a try. I really want to like this series!

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Ross posted:

Yeah I do this a lot, not to the tune of 1-3 pages a day but I rarely read more than maybe 20 pages a day. It seems like the kind of books that you really need to just power through and I've been finding them too taxing to read to do that (not used to having to pay so much attention).

Part of my problem I think is that the chapters are so long that when one finishes and I've spent a few days on it, it then switches back to another POV and I've usually forgotten where this group is / where they're going / why they're going there / who's "side" if any they're on, or even who they are exactly unless it happens to be people from GOTM.

Audiobooks is a great suggestion, I will give that a try. I really want to like this series!

Yeah, 1-3 pages is kind of an extreme example, but I know what you mean about the long chapters; without audiobooks I doubt that I would make it through a whole chapter in one reading session. I can't tell you how helpful audiobooks have been for me, and the great part is that if you have a 30 minute or hour long drive (or walk, though driving is my favorite time to listen) you can get through half or a whole chapter or more easily, while doing something that makes it hard for you to decide to stop listening. Tuning out still happens for me once in awhile, but the Audible app on my phone has a super convenient rewind-in-30-second-intervals button that I just hit a few times if I realize I've been zoning out.

If I get into my car the next day and I'm right in the middle of a monolog or something that I'm confused about I just hit the rewind button until I'm somewhere that I remember well. I also tend to listen while I do mindless chores around the house, and along with driving it'll make you look forward to taking a break from whatever you're doing to cook or clean (while listening). And while I love Audible (if you sign up for a free trial you'll immediately get a free audiobook of your choosing), there are plenty of other ways to listen.

I'd definitely say that getting introduced to audiobooks has been the single most enriching decision in my life in the last several months. I've "read" more in the last half year than I did in the last 8 years combined (sad, I know), and I used to be the sort of kid/teen that would have his head in a massive tome all day and late into the night. I have ADD and even with treatment it can be hard to find time to sit down and read for pleasure, and I'm so glad that I decided to try another method of reading that works with my brain rather than continuing to neglect every book I bought and wish that I could focus on reading more.

I have no idea if you're like me at all in that regard, but trying audiobooks is definitely a fantastic idea and Memories of Ice is my single favorite audiobook in the series. Good luck, I hope it works for you as well as it has worked for me!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hand Row posted:

This series is amazing to reread. All those little bits you gloss over become amazing when you actually have a background in it. It might not even be very insightful but just stuff like knowing what an Elder warren is and who it belongs to is nice.

I never reread anything but highly recommend it, time permitting of course.

The series is best the third time through. :v:
Or maybe Habibi would say the fifth time through.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm gearing up for a fifth readthrough, I'll tell you. So far the fourth was best.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I'm gearing up for a fifth readthrough, I'll tell you. So far the fourth was best.

Probably will wait with the next until the Kharkanas trilogy is done, and then reread the Kharkanas after that. :v:
I like Eriksons introductory text to the Crippled God: "What is 11000 pages amongst friends anyways".

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I'm doing what should be my fourth or fifth reread, but first one on a Kindle and wow. There is still a ton of stuff to catch!

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
"a great convergence is soon to happen" - every book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Any news on Fall of Light lately? Just checked Amazon which is putting the release date at October 2015, a month that cannot get here soon enough.