Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You have so fair failed, in your duty to me, to provide a rational argument as to the arbitrary imposition of age limitations on so called "child" labor. Why do you want to punish the most productive preadolescents in our society? Why do you want to reward the low-skill nonpubescent?

It is immoral to prevent child labor in the Congo. You can't make an omelet without cracking a few small skulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I could be providing jobs in the mining sector right now if not for the perfidious federal child labor regulations and minimum wage laws

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

archangelwar posted:

It is immoral to prevent child labor in the Congo. You can't make an omelet without cracking a few small skullshands.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

euphronius posted:

If you went to the lawless frontiers, like the deep ocean, or Amazon or the deep sahara, you would find wild businesses competing in nature without the inefficient hand of government interfering.

It's funny that Seattle has the highest minimum wage in the country ( $10, now $12, going to $15 soon ), and we also have one of the lowest rates of unemployment among large cities.

We even push away larger companies like Walmart, Mcdonalds, or Taco Bell in favor of granting space to smaller mom and pop style stores, yet they have no problems hiring and keeping workers with such "drastic" forced minimum wages.

Hell, we even force tip related business like restaurants/cafes to pay their workers full minimum wage alongside the tips they receive, so tipped workers ( like me! ) that live in Seattle can generally make $18-$25 an hour counting in tips. Somehow we have more restaurants and cafes that are running smoothly then most major cities. Which is odd, when you consider that most states give restaurants full authority to only match tipped workers up to minimum wage, giving them hundreds of dollars more per month they don't have to pay their employees, because "running restaurants is hard."

Odd that we've had such luck with these initiatives. I saw some graphs earlier in this thread stating Seattle should be on fire thanks to the massive amounts of unemployment/homelessness we'd have with such a high minimum wage.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You have so fair failed, in your duty to me, to provide a rational argument as to the arbitrary imposition of age limitations on so called "child" labor. Why do you want to punish the most productive preadolescents in our society? Why do you want to reward the low-skill nonpubescent?

You obviously haven't read the Libertarian thread: asdf32 is pro-child-labor and thinks laws banning it are immoral.

Interestingly, laws businesses don't like are, in his view, immoral. But when it comes to laws that help poor people, well get your morality out of here, this is economics!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a libertarian should not be pro child labor as children lack the capacity to contract.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

euphronius posted:

a libertarian should not be pro child labor as children lack the capacity to contract.

Parents have the capacity to contract though, and it's their right to dispose of their tiny nimble-fingered property as they see fit.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What's a few hundred scalped children in the face of cheap socks?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How does the free market determine when a child is old enough to sign their own contracts or have their parents sell them into slave labor?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Obviously the social stigma surrounding the labor of excessively young children would cause people to turn to their competitors. :colbert:

Only companies that employ children above the age of 8 or so would be able to compete!

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Radish posted:

How does the free market determine when a child is old enough to sign their own contracts or have their parents sell them into slave labor?

The size of their hands. Small hands make excellent nails.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
Wow this thread went to absolute poo poo fast.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The thread was started by a GBS shitposter

LeoMarr posted:

The left is currently trying to attack big corporations again. Their ammunition this time? The mass layoffs that will occur when minimum wage is increased to $15. Big business and small business will suffer, and guess who's to blame? BIG OL' GUBMENT for allowing for-profit companies. So now wages must be maintained and jobs must stay so what do we do? Start phasing out public corporation and start phasing in Federally owned enterprises on a large scale.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LeoMarr posted:

Start phasing out public corporation and start phasing in Federally owned enterprises on a large scale.

WE COULD HAVE STOPPED THIS

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

The thread was started by a GBS shitposter

D&D ruins everything. =(

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity

Ocrassus posted:

The economy is meant to serve as a method of distributing resources. Private property itself is predicated on a utilitarian argument, even the ones grounded in natural law (Locke, Grotius etc). Therefore businesses exist solely for the good of the society that they inhabit.

Is this exactly true? I thought Locke believed in a natural right to property via self-ownership and that a right to property was socially beneficial, not that it was a natural right because it was beneficial.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

wateroverfire posted:

D&D ruins everything. =(

every single post you make is garbage

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i love pinochet so much

i wish pinochet-sempai would notice me. i make him bento and support fascist paramilitaries and march in demonstrations demanding the return of military rule and everything

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 5, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

joeburz posted:

every single post you make is garbage

yeah i'm pretty sure he only posts here because he gets off on being dogpiled by and talking down to leftists

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Time to read Zinn posted:

Is this exactly true? I thought Locke believed in a natural right to property via self-ownership and that a right to property was socially beneficial, not that it was a natural right because it was beneficial.
I would argue so, here's Locke:

quote:

for this labour being the unquestionable property of the labourer, no man but he can have a right to what that is once joined to, at least where there is enough, and as good, left in common for others.

quote:

It will perhaps be objected to this, that if gathering the acorns, or other fruits of the earth, &c. makes a right to them, then any one may ingross as much as he will. To which I answer, Not so. The same law of nature, that does by this means give us property, does also bound that property too. God has given us all things richly, 1 Tim. vi. 12. is the voice of reason confirmed by inspiration. But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as any one can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, so much he may by his Tabour fix a property in: whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others.
Labor creates property, except where that exclusion is harmful or not useful.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Time to read Zinn posted:

Lockean proviso. Yes we make something our own through labour, but if not enough is left in common to do that, then this right is effectively meaningless.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder when the likes of Massachusetts or Maine will get such high minimum wages...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

:rip: OP, may angels carry you to your rest

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

VitalSigns posted:

Because it's more practical to get the money to pay for these things from people who have the money, instead of people who don't

Great reason to support almost every welfare policy except minimum wage. Pizza show owners and Wal-Mart customers are not exactly prime examples of the haves.

People have already made this reasonable argument - a living wage is better for society as a whole. You rejected this argument with blather about useless people and your opinion about the responsibility of private business. Nobody has an obligation to jump through your weirdo rhetorical hoops.

It's pretty amusing/sad that you think delineating your opinion is a rhetorical game.

Practical arguments on behalf of a living wage are completely different than the "cost" argument you were trying earlier.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Great reason to support almost every welfare policy except minimum wage. Pizza show owners and Wal-Mart customers are not exactly prime examples of the haves.

Fortunately, labor costs scale with number of employees, so Wal-Mart will be paying more than a Mom& Pop pizza parlor (assuming Mom & Pop even do enough business to qualify as a covered business under the FLSA). And Wal-Mart customers that have minimum wage jobs benefit from the minimum wage. And the concern troll "but what if some of the cost is passed onto the poor customers" applies to all labor laws of any type, it's not a good reason to oppose labor laws.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't matter if costs are passed on. Minimum wage labor cost don't not account for the full price of a product and the amount of money in circulation is finite.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
So let's be clear that minimum wage can be expected to transfer some wealth but it does it really poorly. Significant chunks of the additional wages come from middle and lower class owners/consumers, not rich people.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Confiscating the estate of the rich and distributing the proceeds to the poor would be a more optimal solution, yes.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

euphronius posted:

Confiscating the estate of the rich and distributing the proceeds to the poor would be a more optimal solution, yes.

If your goal is economic and social collapse, sure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wateroverfire posted:

I dont follow.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

So let's be clear that minimum wage can be expected to transfer some wealth but it does it really poorly. Significant chunks of the additional wages come from middle and lower class owners/consumers, not rich people.

When the minimum wage was higher, wealth inequality was lower.

That's not solid evidence, but since the correlation is the opposite of what you're suggesting, you should probably substantiate it with...something that's not pulled straight from your rear end.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

euphronius posted:

I dont follow.

Of course you don't. Think about how you'd have to go about doing that.

You'd literally be better off printing stacks of cash and giving it to poor people under the flimsiest of excuses than trying to expropriate the owners of existing wealth.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If you take the rich's money they fly to their moon base and take all their jobs with them. The people left behind don't know how to exchange their labor for money or goods and thus will eventually starve to death.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wateroverfire posted:

Of course you don't. Think about how you'd have to go about doing that.

You'd literally be better off printing stacks of cash and giving it to poor people under the flimsiest of excuses than trying to expropriate the owners of existing wealth.

I think it would be good policy and a warning to all: Don't get super rich you fucker or we take it all.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Radish posted:

If you take the rich's money they fly to their moon base and take all their jobs with them. The people left behind don't know how to exchange their labor for money or goods and thus will eventually starve to death.

Tell me all about how you'll know how to run your company better than your bosses after you and your shift mates seize control during the revolution.

Did you masturbate while you did that? I bet you did.

I'm sure you have many good ideas about how to run a utopian collectivist economy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

The burden of actually having to pay (ugh) wages to the poor for their labor is what's holding the titans of the earth back from inventing miracle metals, cloaking devices, and perpetual motion machines anyway.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

wateroverfire posted:

lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

Tell me all about how you'll know how to run your company better than your bosses after you and your shift mates seize control during the revolution.

Did you masturbate while you did that? I bet you did.

I'm sure you have many good ideas about how to run a utopian collectivist economy.

Why would the bosses go anywhere. They will still want money so they will still work their jobs even if they don't get to keep as much. People still wanted to be CEO under Marxist Kenyan Muslim Commie Eisenhower and his America-crumbling 90% tax rate.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

The burden of actually having to pay (ugh) wages to the poor for their labor is what's holding the titans of the earth back from inventing miracle metals, cloaking devices, and perpetual motion machines anyway.

You mean paying people is what's holding them back? Oh man have I got great news about something you'll never guess has been going on for literally centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Why would the bosses go anywhere. They will still want money so they will still work their jobs even if they don't get to keep as much. People still wanted to be CEO under Marxist Kenyan Muslim Commie Eisenhower and his America-crumbling 90% tax rate.

Excuse me no REAL leftist would claim a tax hike is a revolution. :smugdog:

Besides, LOL that 50's taxcode had loopholes on its loopholes. Those were the days... :devil:

• Locked thread