Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

bobkatt013 posted:

I, Claudius

Weird coincidence you mention that.

I started watching it for the 2nd time again yesterday (got the DVD's for Christmas)

Amazingly good show, I can't recommend it enough. Lots of great British actors, with Derek Jacoby playing the title role brilliantly. Also Brian Blessed, John Hurt and Patrick Stewart in major roles, and John Rhys-Davies pops up for two episodes.

The fact it was made in 1970's England shows, but honestly you can ignore it if not appreciate the quirks of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Ultimately Vision is just worthy. It's not like the list is that short. It includes Air Walker, Wonder Woman, Spider Man 2099, a frog, a couple different robots.

Throg is the best comic character.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zaphod42 posted:

This is partially right. The other half of it was that the ship just plain gently caress disappeared. There was no point sending a rescue ship because the EH was just GONE. And then like 10 years later it just loving appears next to like Saturn or something. That's why they're just now sending a rescue mission, and yeah, they imply its a farther away mission than they've done in the past.

This is totally off, sorry. They left from Earth on an explicit mission to travel to the EH, and they had to go into deep sleep after leaving Earth because it took so long with conventional engines.

Nope, y'all are thinking of some other sci-fi film.

Yep, you're 100% right, my memories of EH were fuzzy. Possibly due to the head trauma experienced in the latter half of the movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Yep, you're 100% right, my memories of EH were fuzzy. Possibly due to the head trauma experienced in the latter half of the movie.

Yeah. I couldn't finish it last night but Zaphod was right about the Lewis and Clark.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Ex Machina.
Great movie in general, but the drat stupid McGuffin keycard ruins it. The genius inventor can't program any sort of facial/eyeball recognition into his mansion but he can build a loving AI? Ridiculous and the whole plot hinges on the stupid thing. Made even worse by the two scenes where there is a computer obviously scanning Caleb's face, both in the mansion and earlier at his desk.

AceRimmer has a new favorite as of 02:50 on May 5, 2015

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Hello, my name is Ultron, and while I have a thousand duplicates of myself that I remote-control and can leap my entire consciousness between, I'm not going to bother putting a remote-control on my doomsday device. Nope, that's gotta be physically manipulated. By me, a robot.

Also everything I said earlier about movie fights that are one-sided being unfun. It doesn't matter if there are a thousand of an enemy if the heroes can mill through them without even getting tired. At least in Avengers One, Jarvis told Stark that he would run out of power trying to laser through a big bad so some sort of limit was implied, and Hawkeye ran out of arrows. Nothing of the sort in Ultron.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Age of Ultron:

The part where Thor is all,
"Yo, gotta go do me, bro" and flies off to England. Then he sees the professor guy from the other Thor movies, talks about something, and then he's in a magical vision pool.
Very sloppily edited together. I'm sure there might have been some more dialogue or another scene that gave more exposition, but it was left on the cutting room floor to make room for more longer-than-needed and repetitive action scenes.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
More Age of Ultron!

Before the final fight, when everybody's suiting up to go fight Ultron, Quicksilver takes a pair of shiny new Adidas (product placement!) out of a lineup of like five other identical pairs in a closet full of other similar clothes. Scarlet Witch (I think) looks like she has a similar setup or at least something new to change into. But they're at Avengers Tower, someplace the Maximoffs have never been before.

So where did all this new stuff come from? If I remember correctly, they had just turned good roughly five minutes before that. Does Avengers Tower keep spare super-suit components lying around just in case? Did the twins go shopping once they got to New York? Are they raiding everyone else's sportswear collections? It feels like they just put it in there for the cheesy "Oh haha he has a bunch of the same shoes ready to go" shot, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.
I may not have the details right since I saw it a while ago, but I remember thinking it was weird as I was watching.

Also, half of everyone's lines/neverending quips sounded like they could've been said by anyone else on the team. The dialogue was all so generically 'witty' it got annoying after a while.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
A lot of these irrationally irritating elements of Avengers 2 sound like they can be boiled down to "was written by Joss Whedon".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also, half of everyone's lines/neverending quips sounded like they could've been said by anyone else on the team. The dialogue was all so generically 'witty' it got annoying after a while.

Under the vegetable posted:

A lot of these irrationally irritating elements of Avengers 2 sound like they can be boiled down to "was written by Joss Whedon".

Bingo. Joss Whedon essentially only writes a small handful of characters, and for the most part they're interchangeable. I mentioned a part I thought was quite well done in the other thread, but regardless of the fact that I enjoyed AoU, there's a lot of fodder for this thread featured.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Can there be an irrational irritation about a movie because it didn't happen?

I'm upset that in neither Avengers or its sequel did we have a moment where the Hulk manages to lift Thor's hammer. I think it happened in some continuity or another, and it had a clever logical path for it:

- Hulk can't lift Thor's hammer
- That pisses off Hulk
- Hulk gets stronger as he gets more pissed
- Did I mention Hulk is extra-special annoyed that he can't pick up the puny hammer in front of him
- Holy poo poo he just picked up Thor's hammer

I'm irritated there wasn't an after-the-credits scene, with the janitor (Stan Lee) cleaning up after the avengers.

He polishes Cap's shield, collects Hawkeye's recipients from home depot, picks up and dusts under Thor's hammer...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
From the season finale of Bloodline:
How the gently caress is Danny's phone working properly? Surely being in his back pocket didn't prevent it from taking on massive water damage?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Tunicate posted:

I'm irritated there wasn't an after-the-credits scene, with the janitor (Stan Lee) cleaning up after the avengers.

He polishes Cap's shield, collects Hawkeye's recipients from home depot, picks up and dusts under Thor's hammer...
Haven't seen it yet, but now I'm a little crushed it doesn't have something like that. It sounds adorable. :3:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tunicate posted:

Maaaan that would have been so much better than the Stan Lee cameo (Staneo?) in AoU - I mean the AoU one wasn't bad (Stan was a WW2 vet who got hammered on a single tiny sip of Thor's asgardian super-moonshine) but I'd love one like that. A real nod to how great Stan Lee is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

That would have been the best Stan Lee scene of all time, holy poo poo.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mind the walrus posted:

Goon relates to Hephastus, the god all the stronger gods crippled so he'd serve them in their basement and whose hot wife cheated on him constantly with big jock-y Ares while verbally making GBS threads on him for being ugly. Film at 11.

To be honest all the other Gods are rapists who turn to blind anger when they see a hot chick with someone who isn't them, they beat their wives, they neglect their sons and they like to turn into literal animals and gently caress when they're really drunk.

I don't think a regular human can relate to Greek Gods, they were designed to be creatures whose amazing power turned them into the most vain, egotistical and narcissistic creatures on earth.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mans posted:

To be honest all the other Gods are rapists who turn to blind anger when they see a hot chick with someone who isn't them, they beat their wives, they neglect their sons and they like to turn into literal animals and gently caress when they're really drunk.

Enough about Zeus

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from the HBO show Rome and Caligula have there ever really been any modern media depictions of Rome that illustrate how butt-loving insane (literally) Rome actually was?

It's from a bit back (both this post and the film), but you may be interested in Fellini Satyricon.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Enough about Zeus

The line "Stop looking at me swan" in Billy Madison is a reference to this. Sander's genius will only be recognized much later, like that of Lewis or Carrey.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Parasol Prophet posted:

More Age of Ultron!

Before the final fight, when everybody's suiting up to go fight Ultron, Quicksilver takes a pair of shiny new Adidas (product placement!) out of a lineup of like five other identical pairs in a closet full of other similar clothes. Scarlet Witch (I think) looks like she has a similar setup or at least something new to change into. But they're at Avengers Tower, someplace the Maximoffs have never been before.

So where did all this new stuff come from? If I remember correctly, they had just turned good roughly five minutes before that. Does Avengers Tower keep spare super-suit components lying around just in case? Did the twins go shopping once they got to New York? Are they raiding everyone else's sportswear collections? It feels like they just put it in there for the cheesy "Oh haha he has a bunch of the same shoes ready to go" shot, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.
I may not have the details right since I saw it a while ago, but I remember thinking it was weird as I was watching.

They're in the Avengers regular locker room. The shoes are just someone's workout shoes, and the jacket that Pietro tosses Wanda is just one of Hawkeye's spares. Could have used better setup.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Evilreaver posted:

Hello, my name is Ultron, and while I have a thousand duplicates of myself that I remote-control and can leap my entire consciousness between, I'm not going to bother putting a remote-control on my doomsday device. Nope, that's gotta be physically manipulated. By me, a robot.

Also everything I said earlier about movie fights that are one-sided being unfun. It doesn't matter if there are a thousand of an enemy if the heroes can mill through them without even getting tired. At least in Avengers One, Jarvis told Stark that he would run out of power trying to laser through a big bad so some sort of limit was implied, and Hawkeye ran out of arrows. Nothing of the sort in Ultron.

I imagine Ultron didn't want the hacker who was keeping him from the nuclear launch codes interfering in him activating his doomsday weapon, or turning it off too early. That sort of interference is why he rigged up the whole crazy scheme in the first place after all. Not bad for a guy who'd only been aware for...uh how long was he supposed to be running around for? This is a thing that actually bothered me about the movie, if they ever gave an indication about how much time was supposed to be happening I can't say I remember it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Another thing about Age of Ultron: Ultron wants the nuclear launch codes, but that wouldn't really get him anything! Sending the Codes is just one step in a long process. Having the codes wouldn't do him any good unless he could physically secure the weapons as well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

paragon1 posted:

I imagine Ultron didn't want the hacker who was keeping him from the nuclear launch codes interfering in him activating his doomsday weapon, or turning it off too early. That sort of interference is why he rigged up the whole crazy scheme in the first place after all. Not bad for a guy who'd only been aware for...uh how long was he supposed to be running around for? This is a thing that actually bothered me about the movie, if they ever gave an indication about how much time was supposed to be happening I can't say I remember it.

It was a day between Seoul and Eastern Europe.

After all, Vision was born yesterday

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was a day between Seoul and Eastern Europe.

After all, Vision was born yesterday

I mean over the course of the whole movie.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

paragon1 posted:

Another thing about Age of Ultron: Ultron wants the nuclear launch codes, but that wouldn't really get him anything! Sending the Codes is just one step in a long process. Having the codes wouldn't do him any good unless he could physically secure the weapons as well.

With the codes, he could send a message to a silo saying "War has started, fire here, here's a code that verifies I'm really the President for real"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Just watched The Kingsman. Overall pretty good flick, I enjoyed it.

Except near the end with the interaction with the princess. The Main Kid is going to the Big Bad Guys base to stop him from destroying the world. While he's there, he comes across a princess that had previously been kidnapped. They talk for a second then she says if he saves the world she'll "let him do it in the rear end".

So he does, then there's a little scene where he goes back to her cell, you see her rear end, then the movie is pretty much over except for one more short scene.

Normally I wouldn't have had a reaction to it but what the hell? The entire movie there's been no sex or even sex related banter. I can't even remember much cussing either. It just seemed so out of place and crammed in (heh) at the last second.

Not to mention the main girl in the movie is completely useless to the plot, even as a love interest. It seemed like that's where they were going with it at first but bailed on it last second so they could toss in a buttsex joke.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Isn't that based on a Mark Millar property? Dude loves ending things with buttfucking. I can't find it but someone post the last page to Wanted, it's the main character Eminem growling at the viewer with the caption "THIS IS MY FACE WHEN I'M loving YOU IN THE rear end."

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mans posted:

I don't think a regular human can relate to Greek Gods, they were designed to be creatures whose amazing power turned them into the most vain, egotistical and narcissistic creatures on earth.

Well, technically, the myths are mostly entertainment stories. It's like taking Family Guy's Jesus as representative of that religion.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

You know what I irrationally hate in movies? That half of them are set in LA, Chicago, Vegas or New York and motherfuckers never run into traffic or have trouble finding parking unless it's central to the plot. I get that it's boring to watch guys circle the block looking for parking but traffic is a central part of every day life.

Albert Brooks is driving a goddamn RV in Lost in America and finds parking in a huge space in front of his old office building in NYC.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Bippie Mishap posted:

Albert Brooks is driving a goddamn RV in Lost in America and finds parking in a huge space in front of his old office building in NYC.

Have you seen Drive? I wouldn't dare deny Albert Brooks a parking spot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm still recovering from what Albert Brooks does in that movie because there's no way to prepare for seeing Albert Brooks of all people doing it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm still recovering from what Albert Brooks does in that movie because there's no way to prepare for seeing Albert Brooks of all people doing it.

Yeah, it's kinda crazy that Ron Perlman is the lesser of two evils in that film, in that you at least know what you're getting with him.

Edit: Of course many would successfully argue that Ryan Gosling is the biggest monster of all in that film.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Everyone but Bryan Cranston is a shitheel in that movie. Poor Shannon. He never saw it coming. :smith:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Saw Age of Ultron yesterday and I hated that Sam Wilson/Falcon is a bookend in the movie. Shows up in the beginning at the party and at the very end as a "new Avenger". When War Machine was flying around picking off the Ultron army in the air I was getting pumped like, "Yeah! War Machine! Aaaand...Falcon! :D ...And Sam! :) Falcon. Now. :geno: No Falcon. :saddowns:" I know he said to Cap "Oh Avenging is your thing I'll stick to thinning out the missing persons list" and stuff but I would think the fate of the world would pull him out to help. I was real disappointed with that. Great movie otherwise.

And the Agents of SHIELD episode last night would have confused a whole lot of people who haven't seen the movie. I actually turned to my husband and said it was a hell of a good thing we had watched it five hours earlier.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ryoshi posted:

Isn't that based on a Mark Millar property? Dude loves ending things with buttfucking. I can't find it but someone post the last page to Wanted, it's the main character Eminem growling at the viewer with the caption "THIS IS MY FACE WHEN I'M loving YOU IN THE rear end."

Jesus. I've heard the name before but couldn't pick him out of a lineup or tell you anything he's done. Looking at the wiki page it does say it was based off a book written by him and Dave Gibbons.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Something about Avengers: AoU just didn't hook me nearly as much as the first. Maybe it's because I'm not in the know with the comic storylines, but Tony Stark creates Skynet just left me all :geno: James Spader did kill it in the role, though. All the characters were spouting off witty bits here and there and it really felt like any one of them could've said some of the lines without making a difference. In Avengers it at least felt suited to the characters, like with Cap's "I got that reference!" line. And Black Widow really, really wanted some big green weenie. It just felt hamfisted.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arrath posted:

Something about Avengers: AoU just didn't hook me nearly as much as the first. Maybe it's because I'm not in the know with the comic storylines, but Tony Stark creates Skynet just left me all :geno: James Spader did kill it in the role, though. All the characters were spouting off witty bits here and there and it really felt like any one of them could've said some of the lines without making a difference. In Avengers it at least felt suited to the characters, like with Cap's "I got that reference!" line. And Black Widow really, really wanted some big green weenie. It just felt hamfisted.

In the comics it was Hank Pym who has so far not been in the movies but that's basically how it went. Ultron started as an evil looking trash can and just got his power levels boosted through the years.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I felt that all the jokes Ultron made really lessened him as a threat, like he wasn't taking things seriously.

"I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those meddling superheroes!" :argh:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Age of Ultron: Kinetic and potential energy, dammit! You're gonna lift a big chunk of earth and then let it drop. Ignoring for the moment the reason that meteors are game-enders is that they're *moving really fast*, and that just lifting something and dropping it isn't going to result in it moving fast enough to destroy humanity, there's the little fact that a falling object converts potential energy into kinetic energy. So every bit of energy the thing has when it smacks into the ground is energy you had to put into it in the first place when you lifted it. So if you, say, had enough energy to lift this big weight high enough to squish the earth when it comes down, you had enough energy available to just destroy the earth in the first place, so do that instead of setting up a big set-piece final battle. Stupid AI villain..

nexus6 posted:

I felt that all the jokes Ultron made really lessened him as a threat, like he wasn't taking things seriously.

"I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those meddling superheroes!" :argh:

That bugged me too. Yes, it was a really funny and unexpected moment in the first movie when Loki goes off on his rant about his own importance only to be ignored and flattened by the Hulk. Ultron's final one-liner just seemed like a feeble attempt to duplicate that same moment and it didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MindlessHavok posted:

Just watched The Kingsman. Overall pretty good flick, I enjoyed it.

Except near the end with the interaction with the princess. The Main Kid is going to the Big Bad Guys base to stop him from destroying the world. While he's there, he comes across a princess that had previously been kidnapped. They talk for a second then she says if he saves the world she'll "let him do it in the rear end".

So he does, then there's a little scene where he goes back to her cell, you see her rear end, then the movie is pretty much over except for one more short scene.

Normally I wouldn't have had a reaction to it but what the hell? The entire movie there's been no sex or even sex related banter. I can't even remember much cussing either. It just seemed so out of place and crammed in (heh) at the last second.

Not to mention the main girl in the movie is completely useless to the plot, even as a love interest. It seemed like that's where they were going with it at first but bailed on it last second so they could toss in a buttsex joke.

That's really weird.

That reminds me, did anybody else find it really loving strange that in one of the Transformers movies there's like an 19 year old guy sleeping with like a 16 year old girl, and when some adult is like "hey whats going on" the teenage guy is like "oh romeo & juliet law, its totally legal and cool even though she's underage".

It just felt wholly unnecessary to the plot (everything is in transformers) so I dunno, it really creeped me out. I'm not some huge tumblr warrior or anything but what the gently caress was Michael Bay trying to accomplish there? Is he trying to spread awareness of how to skirt statutory rape laws or something? :psyduck: Or is he himself just really into underage girls and trying to get people okay with the idea or something? No doubt I'm over-thinking it but I don't know why it was written, why it was filmed, or why it wasn't edited out.

There's been a bunch of hullabaloo on the 'net about The Avengers too (Whedon deleted his twitter account) over two scenes. One was Iron Man saying he'd re-institute Prima Nocta if he was able to wield Mjolnir and made King or whatever; which is pretty loving creepy IMO and not really funny. Should have been edited out, but nothing to scream at Joss Whedon's twitter account over and over about. The other one was Black Widow saying she was sterilized as a child and felt like a monster, so sterile women were saying "that doesn't make you a monster!" and getting offended. But I think that one's just entirely misread; she's not saying she's a monster because she's sterile. She's saying she feels like a monster sometimes because she was trained to kill from birth, and she was physically manipulated; like Frankenstein's Monster. But she's not a monster, she's a hero. That's the whole point. She's an Avenger.

Len posted:

In the comics it was Hank Pym who has so far not been in the movies but that's basically how it went. Ultron started as an evil looking trash can and just got his power levels boosted through the years.

Hank Pym is an awesome character and they really should have done Ant-Man 1 before the first Avengers so he could have been there from the start. He grounds the Avengers team, he's the only one who isn't really trying to be a superhero. (Well, I guess Bruce Banner counts too, but The Hulk is The Hulk)