Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Let me try to think of some criticism.

The weakest point is the research screen but that is getting overhauled soon. It's not broken or unusable, just confusing at first.

The AI gets confused if you play with them on The Expanse map but that's kind of an alternate game mode and in my opinion is more fun to play it solo as a relaxing mode or multiplayer vs your friends than with AI so it's not a major bug in my opinion.

Other than that... uhh... Star Children can't live on ringworlds! More of a minor gameplay niggle, that.

Why would you live on a Ringworld when you can live on a thousand giant ships bristling with huge guns? :colbert: Makes perfect sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The community designs could be organized a bit better. Maybe with tags you can assign to shared ships.

Also a lot of people seem to upload the default ships or duplicates by mistake.

e: Point is, the game lacks any glaring issues.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 6, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Can the AI put up a fight?

Do custom ship designs break it? Do you have to spend a lot of time fiddling with custom ships?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

victrix posted:

Can the AI put up a fight?

Do custom ship designs break it? Do you have to spend a lot of time fiddling with custom ships?

The AI regularly whips my butt. I mean, I'm not very good despite sinking 300+ hours into the game, but the AI is a challenge.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

victrix posted:

Do custom ship designs break it?
It makes its own via the blueprint generator (players also have access to this) so nope - it doesn't have preprogrammed 'this is what you do with this ship blueprint' behaviors - it looks at the stats.

quote:

Do you have to spend a lot of time fiddling with custom ships?
You can spend as much or as little time fiddling as you'd prefer.

Minimal effort? Change the Size number to something larger and press save.
Some effort? Press the random design button a few times until you get something sensible and tweak if you feel like it.
Lots of effort? Go into the design sandbox, test out flagship variations as you build them from scratch. Build a big armor block, fire at it, and see how damage works. Toss a shield on - what weapons work better or worse with a shield?

Compare statistics - figure out where fire-angle and DR deficiencies on your design are, et cetera. Play with your support ship designs in concert with a flagship, find the best behavior sets for each one, and then test variations on different types in various combat situations. Find the best ratio of support ships for the use case you were envisioning and when you're ready, export them, load your original game back up, and then import them.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 6, 2015

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The AI regularly whips my butt. I mean, I'm not very good despite sinking 300+ hours into the game, but the AI is a challenge.

What difficulty are you playing at?

I've not had much trouble with Normal AI on small games, on a larger game it gets time to build up and fight you. And then it will wreck you because it understands the tech tree way better than you do. I have to stoop to blowing up planets to beat the larger empires :effort:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

JonBolds posted:

What difficulty are you playing at?

I've not had much trouble with Normal AI on small games, on a larger game it gets time to build up and fight you. And then it will wreck you because it understands the tech tree way better than you do. I have to stoop to blowing up planets to beat the larger empires :effort:

Anything which removes planets from the AI works as a way to cripple them. It cripples anyone really, even other players in MP but players tend to do the same things right back once you start doing it because now the gloves are off. Also I refer to it as "escalation" not "stooping". :v:

Other ways to do it:

Dragging away their planets over to your systems so they can't take them back without sieging all your system defenses.

MICROCLINE

Blowing up their stars.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
blowing up a planet or star of someone who's attacked me is always fun

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I play on normal, but I always play huge games.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
:homebrew: Just pulled the trigger on this. Time to play the tutorial and then dive into the deep end.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I've been having way too much fun playing this. After reading up a bit on the different FTL techs, I started up a game with fling beacons to test 'em out. Man, flings are awesome. Way cheap to use and insanely quick, they are perfect for launching fleets into the enemy's space on lightening raids.

My current race is just a modified terrakin with fling beacons but my concept was to beeline straight for liquid armor and gravity engines. Basically, use the gravity engines to build a totally enclosed ship and line the entire thing in a double layer of unbroken liquid armor. Did that buy having only two weapons on it, big giant rail guns, that meet to peak out of the armor in one area. Fill up the 2,000+ support slots with 1 size fighters packing liquid armor and a single spinal mount rail gun and 2 size bombers carrying a single missile launcher. Both fighters and bombers carry ammo internally and are set to raid. It's absolutely amazing watching aroudn 1,500 small ships hare off after enemy fleets while my big rear end cap ship slowly moves in with its 2.00 m2/s acceleration.

For icing on the cake I unlocked planetary thrusters and have been slowly consolidating all of my planets into three, heavily defended systems. My current battle plan is to flash in to an enemy system, capture every planet, build thrusters on each one, and cart them back to my space. My fleets then run interference while the planets slow boat to friendly space. Hilarious.

Really, awesome 4x game!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Now get a few planets and mount some railguns and missile launchers on them. You raid my capital? No! My capital raids you

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

USMC_Karl posted:

I've been having way too much fun playing this. After reading up a bit on the different FTL techs, I started up a game with fling beacons to test 'em out. Man, flings are awesome. Way cheap to use and insanely quick, they are perfect for launching fleets into the enemy's space on lightening raids.

My current race is just a modified terrakin with fling beacons but my concept was to beeline straight for liquid armor and gravity engines. Basically, use the gravity engines to build a totally enclosed ship and line the entire thing in a double layer of unbroken liquid armor. Did that buy having only two weapons on it, big giant rail guns, that meet to peak out of the armor in one area. Fill up the 2,000+ support slots with 1 size fighters packing liquid armor and a single spinal mount rail gun and 2 size bombers carrying a single missile launcher. Both fighters and bombers carry ammo internally and are set to raid. It's absolutely amazing watching aroudn 1,500 small ships hare off after enemy fleets while my big rear end cap ship slowly moves in with its 2.00 m2/s acceleration.

For icing on the cake I unlocked planetary thrusters and have been slowly consolidating all of my planets into three, heavily defended systems. My current battle plan is to flash in to an enemy system, capture every planet, build thrusters on each one, and cart them back to my space. My fleets then run interference while the planets slow boat to friendly space. Hilarious.

Really, awesome 4x game!

Fling beacons can fling everything. Build up a station and fling it at the enemy. Or haul in and fling the planets back to save time. It will cost a lot of FTL but is so enjoyable. Specially with a dangerous station just plowing its way in out of nowhere to attack the enemies weak planets and them struggling to kill it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Who needs thrusters on a ship on the thousands? Fling it to the middle of the system and watch it wreck havoc.

Agean90 posted:

Now get a few planets and mount some railguns and missile launchers on them. You raid my capital? No! My capital raids you

In Soviet Mono Empire, Capital invades ypu!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Hey Firgof, Lucas never responded to me before my game crashed so here are some screenshots of a weird graphic glitch I've been getting with Muon Cannons.

And this is just because I love showing off my armadas

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Recent patch made terraforming significantly more expensive, but when I tried out the "Frugal" personality trait (reduces the Tier-1 resources to level up planets to Lv3+) I noticed an oddity that occurs when shuffling T-1 exports... Reported as a bug (if it is indeed a bug and gets fixed) but here is a way to have fun with it while it lasts...

Step -1: go insane (general prerequisite for most silentsnack activities)

Step 0: start a game and play for a couple of hours

Step 1: export stuff

Step 2: stop exporting and notice how the planet fails to level-down

Step 3: experiment with the glitch to figure out what is happening, then abuse the hell out of it

See all those level 2 and 3 planets with no imports?

Step 4: laugh as a bunch of AIs set to "Murderous" difficulty start surrendering before the terrifying impossible economy.

Didn't build a single warship that game, just defense platforms and outposts.

The game did freeze a few times when I accidentally clicked "colonize and auto-import" but Mechanoids are weird with auto-imports anyway since T1 planets often jump to Lv2 using their own resource which then doesn't show up as available to export.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

So! This game contains some secret differences between races that, as far as I noticed, the race screen does not list.

I learned this by starting my first game as the Oko, a Verdant race, who don't send out a stream of colony ships. They send out one giant spore.

What other secret differences are there that I don't know about? To date, I've only played Terrakin.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

JonBolds posted:

So! This game contains some secret differences between races that, as far as I noticed, the race screen does not list.

I learned this by starting my first game as the Oko, a Verdant race, who don't send out a stream of colony ships. They send out one giant spore.

What other secret differences are there that I don't know about? To date, I've only played Terrakin.

Mechanoids beam population to planets.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I sort of impulsively switched all my railgun designs to use muons after I got them because ~It must be better if I have to research it~. Now i'm not so sure it was a good idea. Would it be better to have the the one large flagship use them or have some of the supports use them?

My enemy's ships don't really use any special armour besides ablative, and they don't bother with shields.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Megafunk posted:

I sort of impulsively switched all my railgun designs to use muons after I got them because ~It must be better if I have to research it~. Now i'm not so sure it was a good idea. Would it be better to have the the one large flagship use them or have some of the supports use them?

My enemy's ships don't really use any special armour besides ablative, and they don't bother with shields.

Given how armor works in this game, I would guess muons benefit small ships more.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Muon cannons are best used on small ships as they are more inaccurate than railguns but fire faster. Use them on ships with Cannon behavior set and watch the wall of death spread out. Railguns are best for large ships, especially after you research the tech that gives them some physics knockback. My size 5k ship with a spinal railgun sends any ship it doesn't kill in one shot flipping across the system.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Is it possible to scrap stuff you build on planets? In particular planetary thrusters, since they're a bit of upkeep to maintain them after you've carted the new worlds into your systems.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

ZypherIM posted:

Is it possible to scrap stuff you build on planets? In particular planetary thrusters, since they're a bit of upkeep to maintain them after you've carted the new worlds into your systems.

If I recall, you can right click them to tear them down.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Tried to do my part and bought two of my friends this game as well. :)

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

How does science generation work? Even in a sizable empire I am only generating about 3.5/s...Is there a cap? I built research labs but the growth doesn't seem to be there...

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

FileNotFound posted:

How does science generation work? Even in a sizable empire I am only generating about 3.5/s...Is there a cap? I built research labs but the growth doesn't seem to be there...

The further you research the harder it becomes to produce science. There also seems to be some diminishing returns as well. Two science buildings on the same planet don't appear to double the output of the planet.

It's also a good idea to check the pressures of your planets. If it's in the red you get only a small fraction of the output.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

No ideas about diminishing returns on science, but in general I don't see tons of science pressure planets. You could look at terriforming some of your level 1 resource planets to research pressure to up how much you're producing.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Patch is out. Full notes available here: http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791435727010/announcements/detail/127568840786917369

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Yay! :neckbeard:

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

I guess I will rewrite part of my review now.

After playing some more to test. :science:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Unsure if this is intended, but if you take the poor trait (no money for first budget cycle) and something that gives you special funds (like a random govt type) then you don't get the special funds.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

New research map is pretty great. I can tell at a glance where everything is and what way I want to go.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

JonBolds posted:

I guess I will rewrite part of my review now.

After playing some more to test. :science:

How's that coming by the way? Also, is there anything you're confused by or have questions about?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Any news on fixing the "graphics go all screwed up five seconds in" bug on Linux?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

With metamorphic materials?, you want to send them to the planet passing along its resource or the planet consuming it?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Gort posted:

Any news on fixing the "graphics go all screwed up five seconds in" bug on Linux?

It's up to your drivers unfortunately - we doubt we can work around it. Perhaps try lowering the texture quality setting in the options menu?

Firgof fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 13, 2015

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

winterwerefox posted:

With metamorphic materials?, you want to send them to the planet passing along its resource or the planet consuming it?

You can send them to any planet producing a resource that applies pressure, even if that planet is exporting its native resource.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

So planet t1 produces and sends on 3 pressure. I send the morphics to that planet and the one getting shipped to gets 3+2

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

winterwerefox posted:

So planet t1 produces and sends on 3 pressure. I send the morphics to that planet and the one getting shipped to gets 3+2

Nope, the planet you send the morphics to gets +2 at home, the export won't be affected. As long as the morphic is sent to a planet with a native resource that applies pressure, that planet gets +2 of that pressure at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Ah ok, so sending it to a titanium planet will leave 2 pressure of labor on that t1 planet, even though the titanium is being sent off world up the line.

• Locked thread