Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Everything about that car owns except for the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'd prefer this Gurney livery:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

It's kind of sad that THAT Eagle never raced at Indy. Toyota used to have a hell of a partnership with him in sportscars too (with an equally bitching livery).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

gret posted:

I remember these being really uncompetitive.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

I remember these being really uncompetitive.

That one was better. The first gen Eagle wasn't great.

It's sorta hard to say how good either of them were cause they only ran with the complete dud that was the first gen 'small package' Toyota engine.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
god that Toyota was loving terrible

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

KingShibby posted:

He's also driving a Dan Gurney tribute livery (and Dan Gurney will also be in attendance at the 500)

Owns Owns Owns.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

That one was better. The first gen Eagle wasn't great.

It's sorta hard to say how good either of them were cause they only ran with the complete dud that was the first gen 'small package' Toyota engine.

That livery on the better chassis and with the better Toyota. Yep.

Also it's sports cars but there's a few really good interviews and a really good write up on the Eagle Mk III at Mulsanne's Corner. They did interviews with the designers, so if you want some insight into what made that car so insanely good, give it a read.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

go3 posted:

god that Toyota was loving terrible

I have to give them credit though, they actually learned from their mistakes and eventually had the best CART engine. Unlike all of the other racing series they competed in.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Rumor has it Juan Pablo Montoya may be attempting the double.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Muddy Burphy posted:

As much as I like Formula Juan, he's about the least excitable person to do the double.

Also it's being reported that the two Dale Coyne drivers this weekend are Carlos Huertas and :sigh: Francisco Dracone :sigh:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
JPM loving sucks in stock cars and should concentrate on the 500, especially as a championship contender in a normal loving series that doesn't have the THE CHASE.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

dev null posted:

JPM loving sucks in stock cars and should concentrate on the 500, especially as a championship contender in a normal loving series that doesn't have the THE CHASE.

Holy little brother syndrome

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dev null posted:

He's a good guy to have as a road course ringer and I believe that's what he's going to do when he hangs it up.

For now I think he's focused on trying to get another Indy win and a series title.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
JPM probably won't win the 600, but it's not like he's David Stremme. If nothing else it will get positive publicity for Indycar which is something it desperately needs.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Muddy Burphy posted:

JPM probably won't win the 600, but it's not like he's David Stremme. If nothing else it will get positive publicity for Indycar which is something it desperately needs.

don't disagree.

I'm honestly being a bit of a homer because I really want to see him win the thing again first. :).

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Muddy Burphy posted:

Not so much. My primary series of fandom is F1 which Nascar and its fans have a massive inferiority complex over.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

FuzzySkinner posted:

He's a good guy to have as a road course ringer and I believe that's what he's going to do when he hangs it up.

For now I think he's focused on trying to get another Indy win and a series title.

Which is exactly why he should avoid the double.

Muddy Burphy posted:

IndyCar should promote itself and not rely on drivers doing retarded gimmicks.

No sane person is going to watch the 500 and then 600 hundred in same day anyway. No one with a life anyway.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

dev null posted:

No sane person is going to watch the 500 and then 600 hundred in same day anyway. No one with a life anyway.

Way to alienate half the posters

Fun? :bahgawd:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dev null posted:

IndyCar should promote itself and not rely on drivers doing retarded gimmicks.

I've been debating about whether Indy's struggles to reach a bigger audience have had to do with people not be interested in the product or them seriously just not promoting themselves worth a drat.

The XFinity Series outside of their road course schedule is really bad for example, yet routinely kicks their asses in the ratings.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
The Entry List for this weekend shows a total of 25 drivers. Of those 25, two are making their season debuts:

• Justin Wilson driving the #25 Andretti Autosport entry sponsored by Michael Andretti's wallet
  • JR Hildebrand driving the #6 CFH Racing entry sponsored by Preferred Freezer

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've been debating about whether Indy's struggles to reach a bigger audience have had to do with people not be interested in the product or them seriously just not promoting themselves worth a drat.

I think both of those are some of the many factors.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dev null posted:

Not so much. My primary series of fandom is F1 which Nascar and its fans have a massive inferiority complex over.

your opinions are bad

Good for Juan, hope we get a few more who want to do the double next year (and that Chevy/Honda have more extra engines). They can plane-pool!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

FuzzySkinner posted:

The XFinity Series outside of their road course schedule is really bad for example, yet routinely kicks their asses in the ratings.

Their promotion to non-racing fans is basically non-existent. Trying to convert Nascar fans is stupid because not only has Nascar become some cultural thing, only a small percentage of Nascar fans watch other motorsports.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Cygni posted:

your opinions are bad

Just through me a debris caution so I can try again.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Muddy Burphy posted:

I want him to do the triple and race at Monaco too.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

dev null posted:

What

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

your opinions are bad

Good for Juan, hope we get a few more who want to do the double next year (and that Chevy/Honda have more extra engines). They can plane-pool!

I am of the old school believe that there needs to be more cross overs, and that NASCAR v. IndyCar should be settled on the track in the vain of AL V. NL, AFC V. NFC, etc.

So by all means, they need to do this.

dev null posted:

Their promotion to non-racing fans is basically non-existent. Trying to convert Nascar fans is stupid because not only has Nascar become some cultural thing, only a small percentage of Nascar fans watch other motorsports.

The reaction I get from NASCAR fans about IndyCar is usually shrugged shoulders. The reaction I get from non-racing fans re: NASCAR is routinely "LOL REDNECKS IN CIRCLES".

The odd part is the last group generally gives me a positive response about sports cars, indycar, formula 1 or rally.

e: The Non-Racing fans response to NASCAR back in the 2000's was a hell of a lot different fwiw.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 6, 2015

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

The reaction I get from non-racing fans re: NASCAR is routinely "LOL REDNECKS IN CIRCLES".

I was reffing lacrosse with a guy yesterday that had a friend attend the Talladega race yesterday. Apparently the guy drank a ton of beer before the race, and by the time the race got going he was already passed out in his seat for the majority of the race. It must take an incredibly heavy sleeper to not wake up from the sounds of a NASCAR race or just a lot of alcohol

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

FuzzySkinner posted:

The odd part is the last group generally gives me a positive response sports cars, indycar, formula 1 or rally.

Exactly, that's why IndyCar shouldn't even mention the Nascar demographic when trying to come up with marketing plans.

They also need to just give up and race on Saturday except for the historical races, Indy, Long Beach, etc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I know it's an old line that there were racing fans and then NASCAR fans, and of course most goons posting about any motorsports don't fall in that camp, but drat was it true in the 2000s. I'm probably too removed to really say if it's still that case but I'm guessing that there's still a lot of crossover between fans of Indy, sports cars, everything else.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I am of the old school believe that there needs to be more cross overs, and that NASCAR v. IndyCar should be settled on the track in the vain of AL V. NL, AFC V. NFC, etc.

So by all means, they need to do this.

it's a crazy idea, but...maybe...in identical cars, they could have a...a race...a race of champions! Yeah!

nah, that'll never work.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

dev null posted:

loving lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hell, some people will try to watch three races that day. it's a holiday weekend with a tradition for racing, it's not like say last weekend where there were a few good events and some other diehard racing fans spent probably 12+ hours watching various races from around the world. the 500 and 600 have been run Memorial Day weekend for a long drat time.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Last year when Kurt ran the double I watched all the Indy stuff and I was going to tune in to the last 20-30 minutes of the 600 but I turned it off because he was out.

Plus Monaco is also the same day and the nine hours of WWE of wheels doesn't make the cut.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

dev null posted:

Last year when Kurt ran the double I watched all the Indy stuff and I was going to tune in to the last 20-30 minutes of the 600 but I turned it off because he was out.

Plus Monaco is also the same day and the nine hours of WWE of wheels doesn't make the cut.

So you chose the parade.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Muddy Burphy posted:

So you chose the parade.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im enjoying this

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

I know it's an old line that there were racing fans and then NASCAR fans, and of course most goons posting about any motorsports don't fall in that camp, but drat was it true in the 2000s. I'm probably too removed to really say if it's still that case but I'm guessing that there's still a lot of crossover between fans of Indy, sports cars, everything else.

The tidal wave NASCAR rode from 1996 to 2008 was pretty amazing. Not only we're they kicking the living poo poo out of a divided IndyCar, but they were also nipping at the heels of the NFL at the time.

The NASCAR fans we're discussing during the 2000's were not the types I can recall seeing during the 90's. I don't think they were the types that would show up at an NHRA event or at your local short track. They were just really white bread, boring middle class types that were really fitting into it for some reason.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like a good chance of rain this weekend for the GP...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

dev null posted:

ah yes the jealousy I have of F1 lol

if only because it's a series led by a bigger rear end in a top hat, with a more detestable fanbase and dumber rules

KingShibby posted:

I was reffing lacrosse with a guy yesterday that had a friend attend the Talladega race yesterday. Apparently the guy drank a ton of beer before the race, and by the time the race got going he was already passed out in his seat for the majority of the race. It must take an incredibly heavy sleeper to not wake up from the sounds of a NASCAR race or just a lot of alcohol

try passing out during a race and waking up in a massive Pocono thunderstorm

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 6, 2015

• Locked thread