Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The entire Magicians trilogy is loving wonderful, albeit with a tiny dip in wonderfulness in the second book. But the third makes up for it.

Also, goddamn finally:

I give up on physical bookstores. The release date was on Tuesday and nowhere in Sydney had it until today. What's the point in a release date?

Also, the Australian printing is really poo poo. The letters all look fuzzy. Next time I'm importing from the UK again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

colonel_korn posted:

I just finished reading The Magicians -- are the other two books in the series about the same in terms of quality? Overall I enjoyed it, despite Quentin being cartoonishly unlikeable for most of the book. (I get that that's kind of the point, but drat you still feel like slapping the guy a lot of the time).

I really liked the trilogy as a whole. I'd agree that the second wasn't quite as good as the first, but the third does a very nice job of wrapping everything up. It probably helped a lot that I read the first one right out of college when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, the second when I was very disenchanted with my life post-college, and the third when I had finally settled into a fulfilling career; it was very easy for me to find parallels between my situation and quentin, including the bits about being an utter prick when you're in college.

If you liked the first, and you're interested in where the story goes, read the other two. Quentin gets a lot better.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Eliot remains ridiculous, however.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If I wanted to read the Empire trilogy from the Riftwar series how the gently caress to I get it in ebook format? Do I need to seriously spoof my IP to the UK or not-America since it's not for sale on US itunes or Amazon, but seems to be sold on others like the UK? It's the only books I haven't read from the Riftwar that I care to (unless Honored Enemy is really good?) and I've been told they're around the quality of the first Serpentwar book.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

With regards to the second book, I actually forgive it a lot in the light of the third book because only after reading it did it become clear that it's kind of an unsatisfying book about the most unsatisfying time in your life. It seems to me that the books are a lot about the process of growing up in your 20s. Grossman has alluded to the fact that he was only able to write the novel after "growing up." The first book is about early 20s, where you're usually kind of a fuckup in one way or another and have a pretty good chance of loving up at least one of your most important relationships. Fun, but terrible. The second is about your mid-20s where you're still loving up but at least you understand that you're loving up and you're trying to be better. When you're in the middle of all that, it's not really any fun and I think the book kind of reflects that. The third book is about leaving your 20s, maybe owning up to even the lovely parts about yourself and trying to operate in a way that acknowledges your weaknesses, works around them, doesn't let you gently caress up your poo poo. Maybe really try and make up for the things you hosed up because it's the right thing to do, as opposed to just not feeling so bad.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Hedrigall posted:

Also, goddamn finally:

I give up on physical bookstores. The release date was on Tuesday and nowhere in Sydney had it until today. What's the point in a release date?

Also, the Australian printing is really poo poo. The letters all look fuzzy. Next time I'm importing from the UK again.

That thing looks gigantic holy poo poo

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Hedrigall posted:

The entire Magicians trilogy is loving wonderful, albeit with a tiny dip in wonderfulness in the second book. But the third makes up for it.

Also, goddamn finally:

Nice, where from? And yeah Australian publishing sucks. Bookstores are great, the publishers suck.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I'm about halfway through The Goblin Emperor, and am really enjoying it.

Just wondering if anyone else had a lot of trouble keeping track of all the names and titles? I thought ASOIAF pretty confusing with this sometimes, but I'm finding this a lot more difficult to keep track of.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, she did go overboard with them a bit. Actually creating a conlang for your book is cool and all, but once you do, you have to actually make some concessions to how it'll sound to your reader's ear.

It's still a fantastic book, though, and I will never not recommend it.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

thehomemaster posted:

omgomgomgomg my dreams are coming true. And if it has Tatum in it then that means I can drag my gf to see it.

I consider The Forever War one of the best SF books ever written.

I hope Hollywood won't convert it into a bug slashing festival a-la Spaceship Troopers.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The movie is the canonical version of Starship Troopers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So what's up with the US release of Poseidon's Wake? Amazon's only selling 3rd party copies and there's no sign of a digital version.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

Yeah, she did go overboard with them a bit. Actually creating a conlang for your book is cool and all, but once you do, you have to actually make some concessions to how it'll sound to your reader's ear.

It's still a fantastic book, though, and I will never not recommend it.
I don't know, I found it easier to orient myself there once I figured out the basics (like -in being a female suffix). I'll take that over GRRM's fantasy grab bag names any day.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Amberskin posted:

I hope Hollywood won't convert it into a bug slashing festival a-la Spaceship Troopers.

Paul Verhoeven turning it into a satire was genius and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert: It's just too bad so few people got that it was a satire, especially everyone involved in trying to make it into a movie/TV franchise.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

thehomemaster posted:

Nice, where from?

The Chatswood Dymocks.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Isn't KSR writing an interstellar ark novel next? Red Mars and Green Mars are great, Blue Mars is the only uninteresting one to me but worth the read to wrap up the series.

2313 was ok but I just didn't like any of the characters. A Blue Remembered Earth by Reynolds is similar in plot but I enjoyed much better.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Stuporstar posted:

Paul Verhoeven turning it into a satire was genius and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert: It's just too bad so few people got that it was a satire, especially everyone involved in trying to make it into a movie/TV franchise.

That was fine with Starship Troopers; I really like that movie, even without the powersuits, but I don't thing it would work with the Forever War.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

Channing Tatum got cast to star in the movie version of The Forever War.

Not really sure an adaptation of that works, seeing as it is an absolutely anti-war book and it is nearly impossible to make an anti-war movie. But we will see.

If any mil-sf book could be made into an anti-war movie, it's Forever War. Fingers crossed.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Stuporstar posted:

The best thing about Starship Troopers is how it kinda fails as a satire since people still took it as HOORAH type jingoist stuff and call Verhoeven everything short of a nazi. Hearing Verhoeven's commentary on it is funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOqiweYfwQ

"If you see a black uniform you should think BAD, BAD, BAD!"

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I genuinely don't understand how people thought the SST movie was unironic.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Peel posted:

Maybe because the people who want it to be unironic are the people who consider fascism a decent ideology that was somewhat unfairly tainted by historical association? I mean mil sf has a fascist streak a mile wide. Weak willed democratic politicians keeping the hero from carpet-bombing the problem out of existence doing what needs to be done (if they aren't actively in cahoots with the enemy) are a staple in the genre. At some point you gotta ask yourself how much that is because books that feature these kinds of plots are the ones that sell best.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yea it could be fascist conspiracy or it just looked like a dime a dozen terrible sci fi b movie and most people had probably never heard of the book.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Seriously look at the cuts and camera movements during the propaganda bits, that's not inspirational, it's farcical.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Phobophilia posted:

Seriously look at the cuts and camera movements during the propaganda bits, that's not inspirational, it's farcical.

Done in exactly the same way as Robocop too. The fact that people did not get that is almost as hilarious as the movies themselves.

Also, given how great Robocop is, I was more willing to think of SST as Verhoeven slightly missing the mark with too-(definitely not subtle, but too Poe's law maybe?) satire rather than, "This is a dumb movie for dumb people" like some of my friends were bitching at the time.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 3, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Peel posted:

I saw it when I was 13 and thought it was bad. "Why are they called the 'mobile infantry' if they can't move themselves anywhere?" young Toph complained. "Why is everyone in this movie such a gently caress up?"

It took until re-seeing it in college during the height of the Bush administration, and after having seen some Leni Riefenstahl films, to for it to click, and to understand why it's such a genius piece of work.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

General Emergency posted:

The best thing about Starship Troopers is how it kinda fails as a satire since people still took it as HOORAH type jingoist stuff and call Verhoeven everything short of a nazi. Hearing Verhoeven's commentary on it is funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOqiweYfwQ

"If you see a black uniform you should think BAD, BAD, BAD!"

The full commentary is on Youtube. Worth a watch.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finished up The Testimony by James Smythe, and it was pretty good.

The book is a bit weird though. Basic premise is that people hear a voice saying "My children, Do not be afraid" and people lose their poo poo wondering if it's God or a joke or a weapon or what.

Not everyone hears the voice though.

So you have a novel that is told through 26! different perspectives for the story. Dude manages to write 26 different first person perspectives like 26 different people. God drat that had to be insane to pull off.

The book is pretty gripping but also pretty bleak as well. He writes people as real human beings instead of fantasy trope people so basically poo poo goes badly.

Worth a read though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 3, 2015

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Whoever recommended the Demon Cycle books I hate you. I bought the first book on Friday and I am already almost done with it... I can't seem to put it down.....

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Don't worry, the second book is pure poo poo and will cure you of that pretty quickly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's not grimdark, but it's bleakdark or grimbleak. It's just... wow I haven't ever read a book where no one is happy. It's a huge tonal shift from his regular work on his urban fantasy series.

That being said, it's a great series. Haven't read the second book yet but really liked the first one.

No weird rapey poo poo in either series, thank god. That's usually a book killer for me.

The Owl is pretty happy by the end of book two. :unsmith:

Also, the evil not-Venetian banker. No, the other one.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Do we have a Michelle West/Michelle Sagara thread? My search-fu is failing me.

Oracle just came out, and is wonderful. It was also too short (by which I mean I ran out of it before I wanted to be done reading). So now I am rereading and taking notes and excited, which naturally makes me want to talk about it and why can't I find a thread?

If you have not read any of Michelle West, start with The Hidden City. Her Essalieyan universe is as richly detailed as any, and at the same time remain deeply human while dealing with myth. There are fifteen or so books in this universe, as well as short stories and novellas that other authors would call novellas and novels. She also writes a very successful Police Procedural Fantasy series The Chronicles of Elantra Cast in Shadow. It's on book 11, and it's hard to think of a clear parallel. Perhaps if Harry Dresden was a rookie cop in a more modern worldview Ankh-Morpork, but I digress.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Poseidon's Wake isn't being released in the US until February 2016?!

gently caress you, publishing industry.

Just gently caress you.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Kesper North posted:

Just gently caress you.

Yup. The publishing industry is a bunch of relics that can't adapt to change, I can't wait for them to go under.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kesper North posted:

Just gently caress you.

http://m.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=Poseidon%27s+wake

Free shipping to the US, enjoy.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I like Peter Watts but the last book in the rifters trilogy is kind of a mess and has a bunch of creepy torture rape that comes off as a little strong.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is Revelation Space a trashy bad sci fi series? I just finished the second book and I'm suddenly afraid it might be bad but also that I'm two books in before wondering if it's bad. Will I read any bullshit put in front of me? Someone please tell me if it's bad.

Chasm City ends with the main character discovering he has extra snake DNA modified in, unhinging his jaw to show off his venom sacs, and, presumably with his mouth still open like a 2000s era cgi vampire, delivering a quip like 'fangs for the memories' or something which I immediately questioned as probably sounding like someone trying to tell a yo-momma-so-fat burn on their dentist while his fist was in their mouth. I think it might be bad? Maybe I'm bad.

I literally only picked up the series in the first place because I wanted to see how shamelessly mass effect ripped off its plot. I found the mass effect stolen plot elements to be extremely background and for all I know only really germane in the first book. The 2nd mentioned them, I guess, also. Sort of. I don't know how I started reading it as a goof but ended up not knowing if I was reading it ironically anymore or if it was bad. Is it bad?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Krinkle posted:

Is Revelation Space a trashy bad sci fi series? I just finished the second book and I'm suddenly afraid it might be bad but also that I'm two books in before wondering if it's bad. Will I read any bullshit put in front of me? Someone please tell me if it's bad.

Chasm City ends with the main character discovering he has extra snake DNA modified in, unhinging his jaw to show off his venom sacs, and, presumably with his mouth still open like a 2000s era cgi vampire, delivering a quip like 'fangs for the memories' or something which I immediately questioned as probably sounding like someone trying to tell a yo-momma-so-fat burn on their dentist while his fist was in their mouth. I think it might be bad? Maybe I'm bad.

I literally only picked up the series in the first place because I wanted to see how shamelessly mass effect ripped off its plot. I found the mass effect stolen plot elements to be extremely background and for all I know only really germane in the first book. The 2nd mentioned them, I guess, also. Sort of. I don't know how I started reading it as a goof but ended up not knowing if I was reading it ironically anymore or if it was bad. Is it bad?

Chasm City isn't the second book, it's a prequel. The trilogy is Rev Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap. Redemption Ark is definitely the best.

I like the books a lot. Ask yourself "Am I enjoying these?". If the answer is yes then isn't that all you need to know to keep reading them?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I know chasm city was in universe chronologically before Revelation Space, but, god drat it! The wikipedia pages for these books are hosed. They each claim to be followed by the other book.

I get the feeling it doesn't matter which order you read them in. The main character from one was referenced in the other because of his family. That's basically it.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 7, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Krinkle posted:

I know chasm city was in universe chronologically before Revelation Space, but, god drat it! The wikipedia pages for these books are hosed. They each claim to be followed by the other book.

I get the feeling it doesn't matter which order you read them in. The main character from one was referenced in the other because of his family. That's basically it.

Wikipedia is dumb.

Anyway, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap follow on from Rev Space. Many characters in common, and an escalation of the threat. Yes, they get more Mass Effect Reaper-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
....I didn't get that Redemption Ark was a pun until just now.