Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In Age of Ultro,n did I completely misunderstand it when they were examining the gem from Loki's staff and said it contained an AI?

Byzantine posted:

Well, technically, the myths are mostly entertainment stories. It's like taking Family Guy's Jesus as representative of that religion.

It's more like taking the story where Jesus turns water into wine at that party and continuing it with what happened for the rest of the night after the strippers turned up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

In Age of Ultro,n did I completely misunderstand it when they were examining the gem from Loki's staff and said it contained an AI?

The whole 'sufficiently advanced technology will look like magic to those who don't know better' idea, I'm guessing. Its a magic staff that spreads doubt and discord, can mind control fools, and shoot laser beams and and.

But it actually has a big AI in it that makes that all happen? Or the infinity stone contained within is both a source of crazy power and has an AI stored in it because.

Oh wait, its the Mind Gem right? So its has a synthetic mind in it :v:

Guess I'll spoiler that but I don't know why.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Phanatic posted:

Age of Ultron: Kinetic and potential energy, dammit! You're gonna lift a big chunk of earth and then let it drop. Ignoring for the moment the reason that meteors are game-enders is that they're *moving really fast*, and that just lifting something and dropping it isn't going to result in it moving fast enough to destroy humanity, there's the little fact that a falling object converts potential energy into kinetic energy. So every bit of energy the thing has when it smacks into the ground is energy you had to put into it in the first place when you lifted it. So if you, say, had enough energy to lift this big weight high enough to squish the earth when it comes down, you had enough energy available to just destroy the earth in the first place, so do that instead of setting up a big set-piece final battle. Stupid AI villain..

It was going to be going super fast when it hit. When Ultron pressed the button to drop it a bunch of huge jets lit up on the top of the chunk. Presumably to accelerate it way past terminal velocity. No way it was high enough up, but at least the visual was there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

theironjef posted:

It was going to be going super fast when it hit. When Ultron pressed the button to drop it a bunch of huge jets lit up on the top of the chunk. Presumably to accelerate it way past terminal velocity. No way it was high enough up, but at least the visual was there.

Plus it was more about the dust kick-up than cracking it like an egg.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

There's been a bunch of hullabaloo on the 'net about The Avengers too (Whedon deleted his twitter account) over two scenes. One was Iron Man saying he'd re-institute Prima Nocta if he was able to wield Mjolnir and made King or whatever

A rude alcoholic womanizer made an inappropriate comment in a movie, time to go harass someone online

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arrath posted:

The whole 'sufficiently advanced technology will look like magic to those who don't know better' idea, I'm guessing. Its a magic staff that spreads doubt and discord, can mind control fools, and shoot laser beams and and.

But it actually has a big AI in it that makes that all happen? Or the infinity stone contained within is both a source of crazy power and has an AI stored in it because.

Oh wait, its the Mind Gem right? So its has a synthetic mind in it :v:

Guess I'll spoiler that but I don't know why.

The current fan-theory making the rounds is that Thanos left the base for Ultron inside the staff as a failsafe if Loki failed and the sceptre was examined by whoever beat him, which is why Ultron goes immediately for dumb goals like wiping out humanity and building himself a kickass body that can hold the Mind Gem and why his mental state seems so spotty. This is also how--either due to bugs keeping tabs on Ultron and/or the Mind Gem being "purified" or whatever bullshit when it becomes part of the Vision--Thanos decides to get off of his fat purple rear end and get involved with Earth in the mid-credits scene.

It's definitely not a theory that's supported by strong evidence in the movie proper--If Thanos left a malicious AI-like consciousness in the sceptre what would the use of it be if whomever found it didn't create a networked body for it right away?--but it would still plug up more holes than it would cause and shore up weak spots in the narrative, albeit in a way that'd further piss off people who are mad that AoU in many ways feels like a fun pivot between Phase Two and the very long game being built for Phase Three.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

The current fan-theory making the rounds is that Thanos left the base for Ultron inside the staff as a failsafe if Loki failed and the sceptre was examined by whoever beat him, which is why Ultron goes immediately for dumb goals like wiping out humanity and building himself a kickass body that can hold the Mind Gem and why his mental state seems so spotty. This is also how--either due to bugs keeping tabs on Ultron and/or the Mind Gem being "purified" or whatever bullshit when it becomes part of the Vision--Thanos decides to get off of his fat purple rear end and get involved with Earth in the mid-credits scene.

It's definitely not a theory that's supported by strong evidence in the movie proper--If Thanos left a malicious AI-like consciousness in the sceptre what would the use of it be if whomever found it didn't create a networked body for it right away?--but it would still plug up more holes than it would cause and shore up weak spots in the narrative, albeit in a way that'd further piss off people who are mad that AoU in many ways feels like a fun pivot between Phase Two and the very long game being built for Phase Three.

None of this makes sense because Thanos is trying to collect the gems. If he had one in his possession he wouldn't give it up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

pr0zac posted:

None of this makes sense because Thanos is trying to collect the gems. If he had one in his possession he wouldn't give it up.

Its stated in the movie that Loki's staff had one in it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

MindlessHavok posted:

Just watched The Kingsman. Overall pretty good flick, I enjoyed it.

Except near the end with the interaction with the princess. The Main Kid is going to the Big Bad Guys base to stop him from destroying the world. While he's there, he comes across a princess that had previously been kidnapped. They talk for a second then she says if he saves the world she'll "let him do it in the rear end".

So he does, then there's a little scene where he goes back to her cell, you see her rear end, then the movie is pretty much over except for one more short scene.

Normally I wouldn't have had a reaction to it but what the hell? The entire movie there's been no sex or even sex related banter. I can't even remember much cussing either. It just seemed so out of place and crammed in (heh) at the last second.

Not to mention the main girl in the movie is completely useless to the plot, even as a love interest. It seemed like that's where they were going with it at first but bailed on it last second so they could toss in a buttsex joke.

This also kinda killed the movie for me. I don't know why but it was just A. out of left field and B. really goddamn stupid and not in a funny enjoyable stupid just kind of gratuitous stupid. I know I am not explaining it right but it took what was a really fun joky spy movie and diminished it for me. Oh well maybe the Man from U.N.C.L.E will be good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bobkatt013 posted:

Its stated in the movie that Loki's staff had one in it.

Does seem really stupid then that he would risk the staff on Loki and not just take it from him before any of this happened, then. I guess he had a failsafe but eh, still unnecessarily risky when you could just order a Kree warlord to do it instead or whatever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zaphod42 posted:

Does seem really stupid then that he would risk the staff on Loki and not just take it from him before any of this happened, then. I guess he had a failsafe but eh, still unnecessarily risky when you could just order a Kree warlord to do it instead or whatever.

He risked one to gain two. Both times his plans involved wiping out everyone on Earth and then he can go in and pick up the pieces.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

A rude alcoholic womanizer made an inappropriate comment in a movie, time to go harass someone online

We must always remember that depiction is the same thing as endorsement.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's really weird.

That reminds me, did anybody else find it really loving strange that in one of the Transformers movies there's like an 19 year old guy sleeping with like a 16 year old girl, and when some adult is like "hey whats going on" the teenage guy is like "oh romeo & juliet law, its totally legal and cool even though she's underage".

The best part was that he literally carried a card in his wallet that he used to prove to random strangers that he was allowed to bang a 16 year-old.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vulpes posted:

The best part was that he literally carried a card in his wallet that he used to prove to random strangers that he was allowed to bang a 16 year-old.

Yeah I forgot about that. What the gently caress?

I guess its supposed to be funny or something? I just don't even know why you'd do that. "Okay actor, here's your get-out-of-rape-free card, now remember you pull it out of your back pocket when the dad asks..."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Was this in the new one that I didn't see or did I block that out of the other ones?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is Megan Fox supposed to be 16??

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is Megan Fox supposed to be 16??

She's got fired after the 2nd movie and not even Shia Lebouf came back for the 4th. So it stars Marky Mark and some guy as the creeper who's banging his 16 year old daughter instead.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vulpes posted:

I need to see a video of this scene

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
That whole franchise is dumb as hell and I'm not defending the scene but wouldn't the card just be photo id? A driver's license? Not "This man can bang 16 y/o's until XX/XX/XXXX"?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Like where do you even get a card that says that? Who oversees that department?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Given how the gems are easily the heaviest weapons he could have in his arsenal it totally makes sense that he'd see one as his best option to get more, especially since he never expected the kind-of pushback he received not once but twice.

bobkatt013 posted:

He risked one to gain two. Both times his plans involved wiping out everyone on Earth and then he can go in and pick up the pieces.

This too. Again notice how the theory explains one thing a lot of people are bitching about-- Ultron's motivations.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

mind the walrus posted:

This too. Again notice how the theory explains one thing a lot of people are bitching about-- Ultron's motivations.
It's probably just my memory being spotty but I thought his motivations were solely "No gently caress you, dad!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Like where do you even get a card that says that? Who oversees that department?

It wasn't literally a "the bearer of this card can bang all the 16 year olds he wants" card, it was just a laminated thing that had the contents of the law printed on it.

Something else that was gross about the movie was how TJ Miller's comic relief character gets horrifically killed by the bad guy Transformer. You're supposed to be okay with it because he kind of betrays them but he's not completely unreasonable in his actions.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kinmik posted:

It's probably just my memory being spotty but I thought his motivations were solely "No gently caress you, dad!"

Yes, which is why the whole "wipe out humanity due to robot logic" thing doesn't quite jive with it. Why does he want to destroy humanity besides for the meta-narrative reason of "we expect a big world-threatening event and an army of disposable footsoldiers in the third act"? Thanos put the seed in there to railroad him into that logic. Like I said it's a bit of a sloppy theory but much like "James Bond is a code name" it plugs far more holes than it creates, so I'm going with it.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 07:34 on May 7, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

theironjef posted:

It was supposed to go higher. He hits the switch early because he's losing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I need to see a video of this scene

You ask, and I deliver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCNNYx_OtPw skip to 1:00 in for the good part.

He was 20, even older than I remembered.

"We've got a pre-existing juvenile foundational relationship, statue 270-573"
So loving creepy. What the gently caress, Transformers? What the gently caress? :stonk:

Yes, he carries that section of the law around in his pocket, laminated. Why would you do that in a movie? Unless it was about creepers. But this is Transformers. :(

What a stupid movie.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 06:26 on May 7, 2015

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, he carries that section of the law around in his pocket, laminated. Why would you do that in a movie? Unless it was about creepers. But this is Transformers. :(

What a stupid movie.

How does poo poo like that make it into a movie about selling toys to kids? Why not just make them the same age? Are we supposed to side with the creepy guy who's loving a high schooler?

Parasol Prophet posted:

More Age of Ultron!

Before the final fight, when everybody's suiting up to go fight Ultron, Quicksilver takes a pair of shiny new Adidas (product placement!) out of a lineup of like five other identical pairs in a closet full of other similar clothes. Scarlet Witch (I think) looks like she has a similar setup or at least something new to change into. But they're at Avengers Tower, someplace the Maximoffs have never been before.

So where did all this new stuff come from? If I remember correctly, they had just turned good roughly five minutes before that. Does Avengers Tower keep spare super-suit components lying around just in case? Did the twins go shopping once they got to New York? Are they raiding everyone else's sportswear collections? It feels like they just put it in there for the cheesy "Oh haha he has a bunch of the same shoes ready to go" shot, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.
I may not have the details right since I saw it a while ago, but I remember thinking it was weird as I was watching.

Captain America spends the majority of the movie in the same exact top as Quicksilver, it's just a generic Under Armor type of shirt. Quicksilver also just happens to find a red leather jacket in a locker and he gives it to his sister.

JT Smiley has a new favorite as of 07:47 on May 7, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Evilreaver posted:

With the codes, he could send a message to a silo saying "War has started, fire here, here's a code that verifies I'm really the President for real"

The guys working in silos,submarines, and airbases aren't robots though! They're going to know something is up when the order to start the end of the world comes out of nowhere.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

mind the walrus posted:

Yes, which is why the whole "wipe out humanity due to robot logic" thing doesn't quite jive with it. Why does he want to destroy humanity besides for the meta-narrative reason of "we expect a big world-threatening event and an army of disposable footsoldiers in the third act"? Thanos put the seed in there to railroad him into that logic. Like I said it's a bit of a sloppy theory but much like "James Bond is a code name" it plugs far more holes than it creates, so I'm going with it.

That seems perfectly valid considering Ultron's origin and what Thanos says at the end.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

paragon1 posted:

The guys working in silos,submarines, and airbases aren't robots though! They're going to know something is up when the order to start the end of the world comes out of nowhere.

Where else would the order to start the end of the else come from? Do they get a memo a week earlier?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zaphod42 posted:

Transformers movie ... the plot

Found your problem.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grendels Dad posted:

Where else would the order to start the end of the else come from? Do they get a memo a week earlier?

They get the news in the military you know. Governments don't usually go from zero to NUCLEAR ARMAGEDDON in sixty seconds.

Like, they'd want to know why we hadn't gone to DEFCON 1 at least.

paragon1 has a new favorite as of 10:24 on May 7, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

paragon1 posted:

They get the news in the military you know. Governments don't usually go from zero to NUCLEAR ARMAGEDDON in sixty seconds.

How much time does it take? Usually?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grendels Dad posted:

How much time does it take? Usually?

Depends what the inciting incident is and what the global political situation is at the time. There is no "usually" because each situation where people would be looking to make that call is different. Also, we've never, you know, actually launched a nuclear strike with ICBMs. The Cuban missile crisis happened over about fourteen days. That's the closest I've heard of us getting to that sort of scenario.

Now that I think about it some more, Marvel Movie Earth has had two different alien incursions happen in a relatively short space of time. Maybe someone would have been jumpy enough to fire?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ryoshi posted:

Isn't that based on a Mark Millar property? Dude loves ending things with buttfucking. I can't find it but someone post the last page to Wanted, it's the main character Eminem growling at the viewer with the caption "THIS IS MY FACE WHEN I'M loving YOU IN THE rear end."

The buttsex scene wasn't in the source material.

Also it's a joke. The movie has a recurring theme of "this isn't a Bond movie", even though it has every single trapping of one. The Moore Bond movies all end with Bond shagging the Good Bond Girl in an implausible scenario while Q or M try to get in touch with him, so when Eggsy saves the world the movie follows the trope.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
My little sister wanted me to give her a basic rundown of plot points in Age of Ultron before she watched a recent episode of Agents of SHIELD and honestly I had a lot of trouble articulating things. "The Vision exists now and has the stone from Loki's scepter, the Hulk went off on his own, Thor goes home, Iron Man isn't an Avenger anymore" That seems like about everything that happened really. Almost everything surrounding the main villain feels utterly inconsequential when you're considering the overarching universe storyline.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Since you're all talking about super hero movies anyway can any of you explain what the kerfuffle over josh sweden quitting twitter was about? Every time I read the news blogs it just says "some fans were mad! About black widow probably! And also quicksilver, that thing about him, the fans were none too pleased. ergo death threats."

I don't remember black widow from the 1990 arcade game at the chuck e cheese's so forgive me if she actually is an avenger that anyone's heard of before, but it seems like either people could be mad she was included at all, or that her part was too small. I can't tell from context.

e: poo poo are you already talking about it? Tony stark said a thing? That's it?
e2: Okay black widow is a childless monster, got it.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 13:27 on May 7, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Under the vegetable posted:

We must always remember that depiction is the same thing as endorsement.

I want someone to make a shot-by-shot, line-by-line Revenge of the Nerds remake and watch tumblr and twitter send C&D's to the studio: "Our servers are literally catching fire get that poo poo out of theaters NOW"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Krinkle posted:

Since you're all talking about super hero movies anyway can any of you explain what the kerfuffle over josh sweden quitting twitter was about? Every time I read the news blogs it just says "some fans were mad! About black widow probably! And also quicksilver, that thing about him, the fans were none too pleased. ergo death threats."

I don't remember black widow from the 1990 arcade game at the chuck e cheese's so forgive me if she actually is an avenger that anyone's heard of before, but it seems like either people could be mad she was included at all, or that her part was too small. I can't tell from context.

She's one of the few female heroes so people were a little annoyed she didn't get a bigger part in the film (marketing has been pretty bad at even acknowledging her as well but that's out of Whedon's hands really). Widow's a pretty long established hero in the Marvel comics

People are more pissed at a joke that Tony Stark made. Basically there's a scene where the whole team is chilling out and messing around with trying to lift Thor's hammer which, if they do it, would make them rightful ruler of Asgard. Tony attempts it and says if he does it "I will be reinstituting Prima Nocta". That's an incredibly old custom from the middle ages or so when a king could essentially have sex with any woman who was about to get married. People flipped out because they saw it as a rape joke.

Someone earlier said it sort of fit in Tony's character of being a rich, inappropriate, womanizing rear end in a top hat though.

Edit: I'll admit, I'm only going off what I've seen, it's entirely possible the entire thing is being blown out of proportion and Whedon left Twitter because, as the poster below says, he wants to focus on writing, but this is the reason I'm seeing people repeat about what happened.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 13:32 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Krinkle posted:

A man quits twitter because it distracts him from his job about writing.

People remember that the word 'feminism' exists and blame 'the sjws' for it.

Some moron made a picture with red text on it compiling a large number of twitter pictures that weren't even pointed at Whedon with an at symbol basically giving really entry level criticisms of the movie so you KNOW that a person who's been doing creative works for decades can't take the slightest bit of negativity.