Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
That's really awesome!!!

Ask if there's any chance the Justice League: Mortal film might get revived and if Hugh Keays-Byrne will still be tapped to play Martian Manhunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snak posted:

If he says yes, follow up with "Did Babe's animal revolution cause the downfall of society leading up to Mad Max?"

"Do pigs run Bartertown?"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That's a silly question. Master Blaster run Bartertown.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

ParanoidInc posted:

I just got tickets to an early showing on saturday with a Q&A with George Miller and Hugh "Toecutter" Keays-Byrne afterwards! :aaaaa:

Anyone have any ideas for questions cause I have jack poo poo

This is kind of a squishy personal question, but I really want to know how Keays-Byrne feels about the opportunity to play Immortan Joe so late in his career -- I just think it's such a great story, and obviously, I'd be hoping for a pretty :unsmith: answer.

Obstacle
Mar 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Ask if the two Babe movies are in the same cinematic universe as the Mad Max films given Thunderdome's reverence for pigs.

Film and post this. You'll probably receive lots of valuable internet fame!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Today I was thinking about the whole bit with Immortan Joe and his War Boys. From what I heard in the promo information, The War Boys are suffering some kind of plague. It would explain the blood transfusions necessary to keep them alive and the fatalistic attitude. Immortan Joe raises these boys up much like how Iran's military convinced teens to help clear minefields during the Iran-Iraq war; serve me, and paradise awaits. In the scene where Nux gets excited that Immortan Joe happened to look in his direction, he screams, "Valhalla, here I come!" punches the nitro, and surges ahead of the pack in pursuit of Furiosa and company.

A future as dire as the one in Mad Max brings death quickly. In one of the trailers Max says something to the effect of "I run from both the living and the dead." I think the dead refer to the War Boys, people who know they are doomed to die; why not die in the most exciting and epic way possible? Throughout history people have feared 'death cults', people who no longer take any regard for their life for it is believed the afterlife/sacrifice is more significant. In the Mad Max world, a bunch of suicidal nuts like this would be particularly dangerous, since they would be so fanatical and desperate they would likely fight to the very last.

Also interesting,

While at first I thought the film was going to be about Furiosa fleeing the Citadel, it looks like it is actually her getting an effort to recruit allies to re-take it. She is probably banking on a 3-gang free for all leaving the Citadel itself vulnerable to invasion and I'm betting her and her original 'tribe' end up peacefully occupying the Citadel at the end of the film. Max himself says in the footage "*points* You can drive for a hundred days in that direction and all you'll see is salt. Or you can go back that way." I'm betting the deep water well in the Citadel offers people the only true chance to start civilization again, even after all the guzzoline has burned away.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Panfilo posted:

Today I was thinking about the whole bit with Immortan Joe and his War Boys. From what I heard in the promo information, The War Boys are suffering some kind of plague. It would explain the blood transfusions necessary to keep them alive and the fatalistic attitude. Immortan Joe raises these boys up much like how Iran's military convinced teens to help clear minefields during the Iran-Iraq war; serve me, and paradise awaits. In the scene where Nux gets excited that Immortan Joe happened to look in his direction, he screams, "Valhalla, here I come!" punches the nitro, and surges ahead of the pack in pursuit of Furiosa and company.

A future as dire as the one in Mad Max brings death quickly. In one of the trailers Max says something to the effect of "I run from both the living and the dead." I think the dead refer to the War Boys, people who know they are doomed to die; why not die in the most exciting and epic way possible? Throughout history people have feared 'death cults', people who no longer take any regard for their life for it is believed the afterlife/sacrifice is more significant. In the Mad Max world, a bunch of suicidal nuts like this would be particularly dangerous, since they would be so fanatical and desperate they would likely fight to the very last.

Also interesting,

While at first I thought the film was going to be about Furiosa fleeing the Citadel, it looks like it is actually her getting an effort to recruit allies to re-take it. She is probably banking on a 3-gang free for all leaving the Citadel itself vulnerable to invasion and I'm betting her and her original 'tribe' end up peacefully occupying the Citadel at the end of the film. Max himself says in the footage "*points* You can drive for a hundred days in that direction and all you'll see is salt. Or you can go back that way." I'm betting the deep water well in the Citadel offers people the only true chance to start civilization again, even after all the guzzoline has burned away.

I am not on the same wavelength with what you are saying, so I will weigh in my two cents on possible plot stuff.
"I run from both the living and the dead" to me was simply that the 'living' is everyone because everyone is an enemy in the wastes and the 'dead' are his family he couldn't protect in the first film, as well as anyone else that has died as a result of his actions in one way or another. He blames himself for the deaths of his wife and kid, that is prevalent in the original trilogy, his main motive now is redemption.

As far as 'taking the Citadel', I think that becomes a new concept someways through the film, Furiosa's original plan was to escape from the wastes to where she grew up before she was 'stolen' as a child, but as her original plan gets harder and harder as time goes on, combined with the possibility of never finding her goal at all anyway, the best idea would be to go back to a certainty: Water and shelter, so long as they can fight their way in.

*double spoiler* Do not read if you do not want key plot point revealed.
As far as I know, which is pretty accurate since I live with one of the people in the scenes, they not only take the Citadel but liberate it and it's water for the scores of folk who live around it living off of it's scraps like lepers, not fit to live within it's confines with Joe and the imperators.
Hence why the vehicles are lowered in by cranes, there is no entry otherwise. Joe himself is a false prophet to the War Boys, his personal devoted army, and the Wretched, those living outside the walls. He controls them by making them believe he is something short of a god. Or something like that.
I have heard stories of Hugh's boisterous character between takes, much like shown in the B reel.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Oh, that makes sense.

Is Immortan Joe's mask to cover up some deformity? Or just for show ?

I wonder if the other two gang leaders, People Eater and Bullet Farmer are running their own cults of personality out there. The desperation of the wastes seems to favor Charles Manson type leaders- sadistic and charismatic.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Oh, that makes sense.

Is Immortan Joe's mask to cover up some deformity? Or just for show ?

No, an early photo revealed that he's missing his lower jaw.

USR-Atlas
Mar 30, 2011
Soiled Meat
Game Informer did some details on background characters in the forthcoming game a while back. They revealed that the air is slightly poisoned which weakens and shortens the life span of people but a rare few like Max have an immunity to the poison.

The upper classes of the wasteland have air filter masks to breath clean air which keeps them strong, this is the gear you see on Joe and his son.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Regarding Joe's potential deformities, this image was leaked online a while back:

We can't see from the trailer, but Joe may indeed have had to recover from whatever caused those injuries.

EDIT: I think this is the photo Young Freud is referring to.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Who is Immortan Joe's son? Rictus Erectus? Or Corpus? Who is Corpus, haven't seen him in pictures. I know Rictus Erectus is that big dude that drives the monster truck and is seen accompanying Immortan Joe in several scenes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
My understanding is that it's Rictus Erectus.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Blind Sally posted:

What a good name

Jynetik
May 1, 2015

Panfilo posted:

Who is Immortan Joe's son? Rictus Erectus? Or Corpus? Who is Corpus, haven't seen him in pictures. I know Rictus Erectus is that big dude that drives the monster truck and is seen accompanying Immortan Joe in several scenes.

I'm pretty sure "Corpus" is going to be the fat guy with the fake nose that showed up in the leaked concept art and was seen briefly in a screenshot. I'd be willing to be that he's the guy that runs gastown.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jynetik posted:

I'm pretty sure "Corpus" is going to be the fat guy with the fake nose that showed up in the leaked concept art and was seen briefly in a screenshot. I'd be willing to be that he's the guy that runs gastown.

I thought he was supposed to be called the People Eater?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Blind Sally posted:

Does he have a brother called Biggus Dickus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8_jgiNqUc

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

SlimGoodbody posted:

Some chucklehead earlier in the thread copped to being a gamergater, so it should be pretty funny to see whatever poutrage may come of this.

I think this was me.

I was actually suggesting that it would be feminists getting up in arms about this movie. I have since changed my tune.

But you never know...

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
You can never understand those feminists, especially since they bleed once a month without dying, right?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

thehomemaster posted:

I think this was me.

I was actually suggesting that it would be feminists getting up in arms about this movie. I have since changed my tune.

But you never know...

Yeah, I'm sure George Miller has been laying in wait all this time to finally unload both barrels against those feminists.

But you never know...

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Okay, I just got back from a preview screening, but I had to leave 30 minutes in. Why: we came late and had to be in front row right, it was in 3D, and it was super blurry. Also, it made my girlfriend mega-nauseous.

But it was loving awesome. Always super fast and super hard. References to Mad Max 1, 2, and 3 that I really didn't expect to be in this movie (I thought it was just going to be Mad Max as a rebooty-legendy-guy), some seriously insanely good costuming and gross-rear end makeup, and awesome real cars and stunts.

I don't regret leaving just yet, it would have been awful seeing it in that hosed up blurry bad angle.

(also it has awesome 80's-ish titles, big metal MAD MAX, and: Tom Hardy is MAX ROCKATANSKY CHARLIZE THERON is IMPERATOR FURIOSA)

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Blind Sally posted:

Regarding Joe's potential deformities, this image was leaked online a while back:

We can't see from the trailer, but Joe may indeed have had to recover from whatever caused those injuries.

EDIT: I think this is the photo Young Freud is referring to.

I could almost see that photo being a post-mortem shot, as well, since he appears pretty dead in it (as well as dressed to the nines in his finest wasteland regalia and full medals). It looks like most of his neck and throat are missing as well as his jaw, which seems fairly fatal. Maybe something yanks off (or blows off) his mask and takes half of his face with it? It'd be an awesome way to show him go out and tie in with Humongous' unexplained burns and ski mask.

Jynetik
May 1, 2015

Panfilo posted:

I thought he was supposed to be called the People Eater?

I actually think "The People Eater" is the name of the Mercedes-Benz tanker truck. As referenced in this interview with the production designer. http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/mad-max-fury-road--exclusive-chat-with-production-designer-colin-gibson-675910.html

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

thedangergroove posted:

Okay, I just got back from a preview screening, but I had to leave 30 minutes in. Why: we came late and had to be in front row right, it was in 3D, and it was super blurry. Also, it made my girlfriend mega-nauseous.

But it was loving awesome. Always super fast and super hard. References to Mad Max 1, 2, and 3 that I really didn't expect to be in this movie (I thought it was just going to be Mad Max as a rebooty-legendy-guy), some seriously insanely good costuming and gross-rear end makeup, and awesome real cars and stunts.

I don't regret leaving just yet, it would have been awful seeing it in that hosed up blurry bad angle.

(also it has awesome 80's-ish titles, big metal MAD MAX, and: Tom Hardy is MAX ROCKATANSKY CHARLIZE THERON is IMPERATOR FURIOSA)

Wow, I'm pretty surprised they'd reference the other movies.

I kind of thought all the movies after the first one sorta existed as legends about Max; not necessarily happening in any particular sequence but as a story told by the people he met (Feral Kid, Auntie Entity, Imperator Furiosa, etc)

squirrelcop
Aug 21, 2006

Maintain Right

Panfilo posted:

I kind of thought all the movies after the first one sorta existed as legends about Max; not necessarily happening in any particular sequence but as a story told by the people he met (Feral Kid, Auntie Entity, Imperator Furiosa, etc)

That is so ridiculously insightful that I need to watch all of the movies again with this in mind. It so perfectly explains the inconsistencies / actor recycling. :suspense:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Panfilo posted:

This is exactly the case.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ParanoidInc posted:

I just got tickets to an early showing on saturday with a Q&A with George Miller and Hugh "Toecutter" Keays-Byrne afterwards! :aaaaa:

Anyone have any ideas for questions cause I have jack poo poo

Me too! Can't wait.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Panfilo posted:

I thought Thunderdome was framed as the legend told by the children, not Auntie Entity.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

effectual posted:

You can never understand those feminists, especially since they bleed once a month without dying, right?

What the hell, men can be feminists too, don't be so goddamn sexist/genderist.

dreffen posted:

Yeah, I'm sure George Miller has been laying in wait all this time to finally unload both barrels against those feminists.

But you never know...

What does George Miller have to do with it?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Manifest Dynasty posted:

I thought Thunderdome was framed as the legend told by the children, not Auntie Entity.

Yeah, the ending shows that the whole story was part of the nightly "telling" by the kids who set up a new civilization in the ruins of Sydney. The Road Warrior is story being told by the feral kid to the children in the town set up by the survivors of the film. In both cases, the narrators make that clear at the end of the film.

I believe George Miller said he imagines these are all fireside legends told long into the post-apocalypse, and, like a lot of real world oral histories, many different characters were likely fused into one legendary hero over time. You can at least infer as much by watching them.

It seems likely to me that the story of Fury Road is going to be told by the rescued girls, or their children. Furiosa seems a bit to close to the story and a bit to old to still be around by the time the legend is being told.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 8, 2015

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

thehomemaster posted:

What the hell, men can be feminists too, don't be so goddamn sexist/genderist.

What does George Miller have to do with it?

I'm pretty sure both those posters were being sarcastic, dude.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, the ending shows that the whole story was part of the nightly "telling" by the kids who set up a new civilization in the ruins of Sydney. The Road Warrior is story being told by the feral kid to the children in the town set up by the survivors of the film. In both cases, the narrators make that clear at the end of the film.

I believe George Miller said he imagines these are all fireside legends told long into the post-apocalypse, and, like a lot of real world oral histories, many different characters were likely fused into one legendary hero over time. You can at least infer as much by watching them.

It seems likely to me that the story of Fury Road is going to be told by the rescued girls, or their children. Furiosa seems a bit to close to the story and a bit to old to still be around by the time the legend is being told.

Or Nux? Anyway, I didn't even think of this previously and makes the whole series that much cooler.

Zombie Squared posted:

I'm pretty sure both those posters were being sarcastic, dude.

And I wasn't? We'll never know...

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 8, 2015

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Do we know why there still aren't any reviews out yet?

The release is only a week away, and I've never seen such a late embargo on reviews be anything but a bad sign, yet everything about this movie points toward awesome. It's odd. I'm so deeply invested in this being amazing that it's made me a touch paranoid.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Crisco Kid posted:

Do we know why there still aren't any reviews out yet?

People don't know how to put it into words?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Stairmaster posted:

People don't know how to put it into words?

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-mad-max-fury-road-pitch-perfect-2-eye-40-million-openings-1201490072/

This article says that reviews are embargoed, but that blog buzz has been really hyping it up, so, uh, sorta good thing?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Late embargos don't mean much. It's when something doesn't screen for critics at all that it's a dicey proposition. There's a big difference, as one can be used as a part of marketing - you screen the movie early for critics, maybe even more than once if you really believe in it, and then they have their reviews out in those last couple days before or the day of release in order to maximize the effect critical consensus can have.

The other you're admitting you don't think a single good review is going to come out of it and want to try to rake in as much money as possible before the stink hits the audience.

This screened for critics last week (US) and the week before (overseas). The hubbub that's bounced down to me has been leaning towards "best action movie in the last decade, maybe of all fifteen years of this millennium so far". The worst I've heard about it so far is that the audience gets tired before the movie does, because it just goes full throttle from a couple minutes in all the way until the credits start to roll.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Cameo posted:

The worst I've heard about it so far is that the audience gets tired before the movie does, because it just goes full throttle from a couple minutes in all the way until the credits start to roll.

Frankly, that's the best buzz for the film I've heard yet.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Reasonable embargoes for good for everyone really. The critics aren't rushed to get their article out in an effort to be first.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Jynetik posted:

I actually think "The People Eater" is the name of the Mercedes-Benz tanker truck. As referenced in this interview with the production designer. http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/mad-max-fury-road--exclusive-chat-with-production-designer-colin-gibson-675910.html

Nope, People Eater is a fat guy played by John Howard (No, not that one) who runs Gasstown. He wears what's left of a business suit with his nipples exposed that are linked together with a chain. OF COURSE.

Panfilo posted:

Rictus is one of his sons, but he is mutated on some way so he is not perfect, Joe's mission to to breed a pure child I think, Corpus might be his other, less fortunate son I have heard rumors about, played by Quentin Kenihan, a minor Australian celebrity for having a good sense of humor about his osteogenesis imperfecta.
This is Quentin Kenihan.

Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Blind Sally posted:

Frankly, that's the best buzz for the film I've heard yet.

For real, my biggest fear about this movie has been that it was going to pull a PacRim and put all of its good fights in the trailers.

• Locked thread