Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Just a fyi for the guys waiting on the PS4 preorder. It's not happening. You'll still get the car packs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Norns posted:

Just a fyi for the guys waiting on the PS4 preorder. It's not happening. You'll still get the car packs though.

That's kinda what I figured once it was announced digital console version gets all of the free car packs that the PC version gets too. That's very weird to me, but ooh well.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I said come in! posted:

That's kinda what I figured once it was announced digital console version gets all of the free car packs that the PC version gets too. That's very weird to me, but ooh well.

I guess the issue is you need to submit your game 8 weeks prior to the preorder date.

Given the constantly changing release date, I'm sure you see the issue.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
15 hours to go, it seems. I think that Project CARS will fulfill my needs for a good, "easy to get into but hard to master" racer for a good while - it's certainly the best option ( for me ) on the PC.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Reviews are in! They are good! Pop the bubbly guys.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Norns posted:

It's pretty weird in the EU too, we have a preorder, but it still isn't preloading despite being <12 hours to lauch.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
GreenManGaming posted keys, get pre-loading!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Work is going to be hell. Just going to be thinking about my new racing career all day.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The ability to start anywhere on the career ladder is basically genius.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

Work is going to be hell. Just going to be thinking about my new racing career all day.

my work will have me off about 2 hours before release so hahahahahahaha our problems are vastly different :smith:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I was racing my first race in the F1 part of the career and hosed up my fuel load at some point. I was on lap 20 out of 52 and had burned 70 liters out of my starting 100 liters. There is no refueling allowed just like real F1. The max for the car is 240. I was messing with different setups for the car to try to get some extra speed and must have messed up the setting and then saved it as the default.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What series are you guys planning on focusing on?

I think going to push myself and try that zero to hero stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The first time I played this was back in October, 2011, it only had a handful of cars and Bathurist and SPA, and just the track part was built and nothing else, and none of it was accurate and the cars barely did anything. Now it's a AAA looking title with amazing physics and graphics. :eyepop:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bought this on a whim after not playing a sim racer since GT4 nearly a decade ago. Hope I don't suck too much :ohdear:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Has PCARS released in another timezone already? I'd like to vpn trick steam if possible.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Any reviews in yet? Very happy to wake up to a GMG key.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

ethanol posted:

Any reviews in yet? Very happy to wake up to a GMG key.

Check the PC gamer one. They played it with a controller.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Endbuster posted:

That's like reviewing a fighting game with one hand tied behind your back.

Still nice to see they put some effort into the controller unlike AC.

Speaking of contollers. Any of you beta duders using a g27? If so, what settings are you using?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endbuster posted:

PC Gamer of all magazines using a controller? Shameful. That magazine has fallen.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

cat doter posted:

Plus karts are fun as poo poo.

Truer words were never spoken.

ethanol posted:

:cumpolice:

edit: I still don't have a key from GMG :argh:

Me either. I'm stuck at this dumb Microsoft Ignite conference until friday anyways so it doesn't matter :(

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Norns posted:

That's like reviewing a fighting game with one hand tied behind your back.

Still nice to see they put some effort into the controller unlike AC.

Speaking of contollers. Any of you beta duders using a g27? If so, what settings are you using?

Yeah, I'm interested to see what a controller will feel like in this game. I played Forza 5 with all assists off (still was able to set top 300 times) and am going to do the same with this game. The G27 looks like the best option, but I can't afford it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Reviews across the board have been mid 8's to mid 9's. Except for Shacknews that gave it a 6/10 just because it is a sim and the reviewer doesn't like those. Otherwise the reviews have been really positive.

I think F1 racing is the best part of career mode and I'm kinda puzzled why it was tier 2 instead of the end of the line Tier 1. The LMP 1 season was pretty disappointing. Only maybe 7-8 total locations per season and you race at each one twice per race weekend. F1 is 19 race weekends of 1 race per weekend and each of those 19 is a different location.

Isn't F1 the top end thing in the real world anyway? Biggest stage biggest money?

LMP 1 also has you do 2 races at Monaco which those big cars in those tiny streets of tight corners is a complete cluster gently caress. Avoiding the walls is basically impossible. The second race I was already so far ahead in points for the season I just started the race and immediately retired and took a DNF.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Endbuster posted:

Yeah, I'm interested to see what a controller will feel like in this game. I played Forza 5 with all assists off (still was able to set top 300 times) and am going to do the same with this game. The G27 looks like the best option, but I can't afford it.

Yeah i would buy a wheel if I could afford it for sure, but I hate it when I hear 'x car is impossible to drive with a controller'. I mean racing car drivers had to go in and tell the the AC crew it's not that hard in real life to turn this car, so I hesitate to say 'it's impossible without a wheel' rather than the car's handling is mucked up.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ethanol posted:

Yeah i would buy a wheel if I could afford it for sure, but I hate it when I hear 'x car is impossible to drive with a controller'. I mean racing car drivers had to go in and tell the the AC crew it's not that hard in real life to turn this car, so I hesitate to say 'it's impossible without a wheel' rather than the car's handling is mucked up.

And using a gamepad in a racing sim is a skill unto itself.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I found every car impossible with controller in AC. Could just be me, but I've always done okay in Forza and GT with contollers.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

or simply the fact that for me, if you think I've got the space for a racing wheel right now you're out of your mind. I don't have the space for it even if I wanted. I still don't even have a PS4 yet, but considering that this game looks very much like My Kinda Thing then I'm patiently waiting for how good it is and if it's possible to use a controller. Plus, from a simple business standpoint, you have to grow, and games like GT and Forza have sold millions of copies...and if you think there's a 1:1 ratio of those games to racing wheels then you're sadly mistaken. It's not going to work as a console game if it's that crazy (that's what iRacing, etc. are for).

but yeah the "I didn't like it because it's a sim" reviews are kind of a joke but understandable. it's on the game to give people a way to get into it. Hopefully this can.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Expect some "fans of the genre" reviews.

Also ignore reviews.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Norns posted:

Brake linearity to 16, all pedal deadzones to 3, the rest default.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 6, 2015

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm here to give you the straight dope on the hardest car to drive in the game. The Formula A which I spent all morning driving with a controller while waiting for my ebay auction to end so I can get my wheel working again. The Formula A is a v8 F1 car based on the 2011 cars. It has DRS, KERS, and god drat near 1000 BHP. The thing is fast all the time and has poo poo tons of torque. You know the thing where you can spin F1 cars 180 degrees just by pushing the gas for half a second? You can totally do that with this one. I think this is the only car in the game I would say if you are racing with a controller it's okay to use assists. Even with assists on it can be a beast to handle at first but once you get maybe 20-30 minutes of practice you will come to love it. With assists on it felt just exactly right to race. If you gently caress up it will still spin out put you in a wall and make you meet the ghost of Senna. It pushes you just enough.

Then we get to the rest of the cars in the game. You don't need assists to drive them with a controller. Turn them off it will be fine. Maybe some of the classic F1 cars you might need them but I haven't tested. I was setting great times in a Formula C with a controller and no assists at all and it felt just like driving it with my wheel with no assists. The game controls just fine with a controller.

Also I decided to give the Formula A a try with a controller with no assists. The killer is low speed turns. You need to be real careful when you are going slow through high degree turns or you will spin out very easily. Some tracks don't have many of these and are easy to drive. Other tracks have nasty turns and you will be miserable when you first start. After about 20 minutes of trying I was really getting the hang of racing the FA without any assists but I don't think it will be for everyone.

Also does anyone want to race a Formula A race at Barcelona today online due to the Spanish GP being this weekend? PC version. If you do be warned I am going to turn on assists because I want to have a chance to win.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Brake linearity to 16, all pedal deadzones to 3, the rest default.

Anything special in the logitech profiler? Or just the typical turn off centering stuff?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Also does anyone want to race a Formula A race at Barcelona today online due to the Spanish GP being this weekend? PC version. If you do be warned I am going to turn on assists because I want to have a chance to win.

I don't think barcelona made it to final

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I was racing on it earlier today so it totally did.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Norns posted:

Anything special in the logitech profiler? Or just the typical turn off centering stuff?
The game does turn off the stupid stuff on the wheel by itself, like the centering. Only use the profiler if you want to override the behavior.

You can pretty much take all default settings. The deadzones are just to have the pedals react a little sooner, it's subjective. My real car's electronic throttle pedal has less deadzone than the game's default setting, so I wanted that. The brake linearity needs to be changed in my opinion, because the default setting seems to be something for the more expensive loadcell based pedals. The sprung G27 brake pedal with default settings feels like jumping on it with both feet just by looking at it wrong.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I was racing on it earlier today so it totally did.

Well, I definitely don't see it on this list

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/locations.html

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Thanks! Good to hear I'm not going to have to screw with wheel settings for an hour or more before i take my first lap.

I've actually been looking at upgrading my pedals soonish anyway. Then my shifter...then my wheel...then my desk.

gently caress.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Besos - Circuit de Catalunya is on all the track lists I've seen.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

ethanol posted:

Well, I definitely don't see it on this list

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/locations.html

That list is months old isn't it?

That's the retail release version btw. All the beta stuff got stripped out a few hours ago no more login or anything and it uses your steam name now.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 6, 2015

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
So, when should I see my discount? :( (Team Member)

e: Oh, steam coupon.

Falken fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 6, 2015

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It doesn't appear until you go to checkout. Yes it is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I added it to my cart with the "pre purchase discount" bringing it to 39.99. Got distracted and came back later to see a new item in my Steam Inventory for %20 off PCars! .. only then a price change happened to the item as it sat in my cart... to 49.99. So : I got to use the coupon to bring it BACK to the original 39.99. welp.

• Locked thread