Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

just poop more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty happy with my weight at 6' 3" and ~200lbs. I'm trying to lean out a bit/body recomp. I was up to 220 and ugh that felt kinda gross. Dropping most of the carbs from my diet has made a big difference, although I eat some before the gym and no sugar. I've never been much of a sweet tooth so that has helped.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Cage posted:

Yep sounds pretty close to me. You hear that fat guys are more likely to gain the weight back that they lost but at the time I was losing I just assumed it wasn't going to happen to me. All that hard work basically wiped out.

Sucks but it would be cool to maybe have another sexual partner sometime in my life.

Oh, I knew it was going to come back. At least when I worked out of the house, I'd have no excuse to go for a hike or a walk or bike to work or something. So I was fat-fit (not great health, but could do a 2-3km hike without wanting to die).

Working from home basically full time (other than 3-4 times a year I go into the office for a week) = gently caress I'M NOT PUTTING ON A SHIRT AND REAL PANTS.

So now anything is tiring, and I feel like rear end. I really need to get out walking more.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If I drop sugar, I can drop weight like no tomorrow. But I have a vicious sweet tooth at times. When I gave up sugar for Lent, hoooooooooooooooly moly, was I a grumpy wreck for a week or two. If I stop eating breads, pastas, and sugars, the fat basically melts off me. Combine that with a 5/2 fasting program and I can drop a significant amount of weight pretty quickly.

But the minute I introduce breads, pastas, and sugars back into my diet, I start back packing on the pounds.

I could do a fruit and vegetable diet pretty easily; my biggest hindrance is my wife who is a pasta/bread/carb fiend. I don't eat much steak, and the majority of the red meat in my diet are burgers. I do eat a good amount of chicken, though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Siochain posted:

So now anything is tiring, and I feel like rear end. I really need to get out walking more.

I usually go for a half hour walk after I eat lunch at work, and for some reason feel like poo poo for about an hour afterwards. It really makes me not want to walk, and I don't know why I feel so bad. I'm thinking most of my problems stem from something I'm eating (various of those 'healthy' steamer tray things, fruit cups, applesauce, gatorade... wtf?) or not eating (maybe not enough protein?), I don't know.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tide posted:

If I drop sugar, I can drop weight like no tomorrow. But I have a vicious sweet tooth at times. When I gave up sugar for Lent, hoooooooooooooooly moly, was I a grumpy wreck for a week or two. If I stop eating breads, pastas, and sugars, the fat basically melts off me. Combine that with a 5/2 fasting program and I can drop a significant amount of weight pretty quickly.

But the minute I introduce breads, pastas, and sugars back into my diet, I start back packing on the pounds.

I could do a fruit and vegetable diet pretty easily; my biggest hindrance is my wife who is a pasta/bread/carb fiend. I don't eat much steak, and the majority of the red meat in my diet are burgers. I do eat a good amount of chicken, though.

The wife is a bread fiend and I love pasta. We're trying not to cut it out entirely because of the whole "once you eat it again you gain weight" but we're simply not eating so much of it. Portion control and all that.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Meanwhile I'm eating jack in the box 2 meals a day and polishing off a sixes every night because to quote Carl from Aqua Teen,, ain't no woman touching me for, like, a while

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

The wife is a bread fiend and I love pasta. We're trying not to cut it out entirely because of the whole "once you eat it again you gain weight" but we're simply not eating so much of it. Portion control and all that.

We're pizza and pasta fiends.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My resume simply states "Overfiend."

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CornHolio posted:

I usually go for a half hour walk after I eat lunch at work, and for some reason feel like poo poo for about an hour afterwards. It really makes me not want to walk, and I don't know why I feel so bad. I'm thinking most of my problems stem from something I'm eating (various of those 'healthy' steamer tray things, fruit cups, applesauce, gatorade... wtf?) or not eating (maybe not enough protein?), I don't know.

fruit sauce, applesauce and gatorade have a pretty decent amount of sugar in them. With fruits, it's about minimizing the...fructose? that's in it. And with fruit cups, they have sugar / HFCS added to it to make it taste better. Sounds like you're getting a crash after the sugars wear off.

The steamer trays are probably pretty good for you though. Some say there's no better way to eat a veg than raw and that steaming removes nutrients. But even steamed veggies (even if it loses some nutritional value from the steaming process) has GOT to be better for you than pretty much anything else.

I'm pretty well convinced that sugar and especially HFCS is a blight on the human race. Of course I have no scientific data to back it up other than a google search. And it's damned hard to find anything to eat or drink that doesn't have one or the other in it.

MustardFacial posted:

I've got a big problem with portion control; mostly because I eat so fast. It's a bad habit that I've never been able to break.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Tide posted:

I'm pretty well convinced that sugar and especially HFCS is a blight on the human race. Of course I have no scientific data to back it up other than a google search. And it's damned hard to find anything to eat or drink that doesn't have one or the other in it.

Nah, I'd agree. Excess sugar is. Normal amounts are fine, but as a society everything is oversweetened so much that you can't help but get sugar-overloads. I know when I lost all my weight, I cut out most carbs, just ate a lot of salads, fish, and chicken. Fruits tended to be an apple or banana, etc, no fruit cups (they do have a TON of added sugar). I just need to go BBQ only diet again for a month or two and lose some pounds - ie if I can't cook it on the BBQ, I Don't eat it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Siochain posted:

Nah, I'd agree. Excess sugar is. Normal amounts are fine, but as a society everything is oversweetened so much that you can't help but get sugar-overloads. I know when I lost all my weight, I cut out most carbs, just ate a lot of salads, fish, and chicken. Fruits tended to be an apple or banana, etc, no fruit cups (they do have a TON of added sugar). I just need to go BBQ only diet again for a month or two and lose some pounds - ie if I can't cook it on the BBQ, I Don't eat it.

Don't you DARE touch my excess sugar.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Man. Our boss boss just came to the site and reamed at me and my JW separately for 30 minutes each. Now I know why people drink after work. Not a drinker on work nights but I'll be needing a few beers tonight.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well now I feel dumb, I tried again with those screws for the boot lid and, after hitting the hole with some PB Blaster, it went in. They were still extremely stiff to put in, but judging by the lack of metal shavings they went in properly rather than loving up the threads.

The new boot lid is cockeyed just like the old one was, though, so I guess I need to gently caress around with the hinges a bit.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tide posted:

And it's damned hard to find anything to eat or drink that doesn't have one or the other in it.

Learn to cook. The only way you know what's going into your food is if you make it yourself. It's also cheaper to buy the ingredients for things, than it is to buy that same thing processed and already made (for most things anyways, I know stuff like sriracha sauce is cheaper to buy than it is to make.)

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Siochain posted:

I just need to go BBQ only diet again for a month or two and lose some pounds - ie if I can't cook it on the BBQ, I Don't eat it.

???

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
I've somehow avoided weight issues. 5'11" and 147lb, and i eat a lot. I can't put weight on, regardless of how much i eat.

Somehow seem to offset it with physical work, and 6:30am starts and not eating until 5-ish. Could do with more exercise, back strength in particular. But meh.. effort.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

I am 330 :( So it should be easy for me to lose 50lbs in 6 months.

Back like 7 years ago I was even worse. Started at 380, lost 120 in a years time and lost about 30 more in the next year. Was down to 230ish but that ballooned up when I hit a long period of depression. Didnt lose the weight dangerously, its just that I ate so badly that when I started going to the gym and watched what I ate the pounds just flew off.
High protein, low carb, resistance training.

I dropped ~140lbs a few years ago, but over the last couple of years have let myself slide back badly (too much time spent at work and eating utter crap). Got pissed off enough with myself to fix it again. A month in and it's going nicely. I'm starting from a better place than I did originally, and I don't have the learning curve to go through this time, which helps.

Personal opinion is to not weigh yourself. Go by waist measurement etc if you want some kind of number to track.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

InitialDave posted:

High protein, low carb, resistance training.

I dropped ~140lbs a few years ago, but over the last couple of years have let myself slide back badly (too much time spent at work and eating utter crap). Got pissed off enough with myself to fix it again. A month in and it's going nicely. I'm starting from a better place than I did originally, and I don't have the learning curve to go through this time, which helps.

Personal opinion is to not weigh yourself. Go by waist measurement etc if you want some kind of number to track.
Yeah, I dont really want to weigh myself this time. For the first few weeks I know I might not lose anything and it does put me in a little funk. Its not so much a race, its just wanting to get and remain healthy.

Hell yeah to protein. Had chicken for breakfast, and I brought chicken for dinner. Might have some tuna for dinner.

Congrats on keeping at it for a month. Its true that we're both starting from a better place and dont have a learning curve, but at the same time I realize just how much work total is involved in losing that much weight now and sometimes its daunting.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Boy will I be glad when my titties are gone.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I agree that cooking your own meals helps a lot, but you also have to be conscience of what you put in your meals.
Pretty much any premade sauce is going to be loaded with salt and HFCS, as are a lot of things you wouldn't even think of...

I'm sitting heavier than I'd like but a big problem for me has been these irregular shifts. I just came off a 4 month stint on 3rd shift, and in 2 weeks I'll be back on 2nd. It's hard to eat healthy and motivate yourself when everything is closed and everyone's asleep.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Tide posted:

fruit sauce, applesauce and gatorade have a pretty decent amount of sugar in them. With fruits, it's about minimizing the...fructose? that's in it. And with fruit cups, they have sugar / HFCS added to it to make it taste better. Sounds like you're getting a crash after the sugars wear off.

The steamer trays are probably pretty good for you though. Some say there's no better way to eat a veg than raw and that steaming removes nutrients. But even steamed veggies (even if it loses some nutritional value from the steaming process) has GOT to be better for you than pretty much anything else.

I've got a big problem with portion control; mostly because I eat so fast. It's a bad habit that I've never been able to break.

Maybe that's what it is. We usually make dinner every night (though sometimes, like last night, it's one of those gyro kits that comes with prepackaged sauce and meat and pitas, though I add olives and cucumbers and feta), but there usually isn't enough left to bring to work. By the time I get home from work, help my kids with their homework, bathe them, bathe myself, exercise (sometimes) and do whatever else I need to do, it's hard to find the time to cook a healthy lunch for the following day - that's so far in the future it may as well be next year's food.

I think I'll try cutting out that sugary stuff, I never thought that'd have that much sugar in it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

Congrats on keeping at it for a month. Its true that we're both starting from a better place and dont have a learning curve, but at the same time I realize just how much work total is involved in losing that much weight now and sometimes its daunting.
Thanks, man, and good luck! I'm both daunted by it, but also know I can do it.

I kicked things off by going heavy on the protein shakes (Reflex Micellar Casein is my go-to for non-workout times), because I know how effective it is. I know myself quite well, too, so an immediate sledgehammer approach was what I needed to get started in a way that'd let me stick to it longer-term.

If you want a really good high-protein breakfast or snack, mix up an omelette, but pour into a muffin tin and bake in the oven rather than using a frying pan. You can still stick whatever meat/cheese/veggies you normally like in there, gives you hand-held omelette muffins to grab and munch on, top stuff.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
6'1" 150lbs here. I used to be fit as gently caress and closer to 190 two years ago, but since then I've got some kind of chronic cold which no doctor can figure out, meaning I've gone from hard training 3-4 days/week to no training at all except for some long walks.

It's actually making me depressed as hell.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I actually use something like this for quick eggs: https://www.etundra.com/kitchen-sup...aS-zBoCfPPw_wcB

Not really handheld, but easy to throw in a tortilla or between some bread.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Maybe that's what it is. We usually make dinner every night (though sometimes, like last night, it's one of those gyro kits that comes with prepackaged sauce and meat and pitas, though I add olives and cucumbers and feta), but there usually isn't enough left to bring to work. By the time I get home from work, help my kids with their homework, bathe them, bathe myself, exercise (sometimes) and do whatever else I need to do, it's hard to find the time to cook a healthy lunch for the following day - that's so far in the future it may as well be next year's food.

I think I'll try cutting out that sugary stuff, I never thought that'd have that much sugar in it.

You have a crockpot right? that's the secret to having a quick meal ready to go when you get home. But don't use it to cook lean proteins like chicken breast or pork tenderloin.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CornHolio posted:

What works for me is making food for the week Sunday morning. After work I don't want to do poo poo so I rely on warming up left overs from the weekend or occasionally making a frozen pizza. During the winter 90% or more of what I eat is stuff I make in the slow cooker, during the summer it's stuff from the grill.

Read through the YLLS general thread's OP, it has a good overview and covers all the basic stuff. Most people in the thread are very helpful and will answer any questions you have assuming it isn't something addressed in the OP. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424

Work that was predicted to finish Thursday afternoon finished up by lunch today which means I get normal hours the rest of the week instead of working from the minute the site opens to when the customer is kicking us out. Yay for whoever estimated it wrong because I was really not looking forward to another full day of that stuff.

Time for a nap then see how big of a pain in the rear end it is to remove the alternator from the 928. Or parts for the E30 should have arrived so maybe work on that.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Cook using raw or minimally processed ingredients. Eat lots of vegetables, meat, eggs, nuts. Avoid grains, dairy, juice. Fruit is primarily a dessert/snack treat. Don't worry about fat (within reason :mad:). Serve food on a bed of greens, sweet potato or other low-GI option instead of rice or pasta. Get a wife who can bang out amazing food (this is what I did, ymmv).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

You have a crockpot right? that's the secret to having a quick meal ready to go when you get home. But don't use it to cook lean proteins like chicken breast or pork tenderloin.

I do... :getin: :420: :shroom:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Too much effort :P I love pizza dearly, but I don't eat it often.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Make this: Slow Cooker Short Ribs.

Eating healthy (or rather, eating healthy with variety) can be expensive and time-consuming but holy poo poo it's worth it when you can wear shirts you've had in the back of the closet for 10 years after convincing yourself that they must have shrunk in the laundry.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Scrambles posted:

Eating healthy (or rather, eating healthy with variety) can be expensive and time-consuming but holy poo poo it's worth it when you can wear shirts you've had in the back of the closet for 10 years after convincing yourself that they must have shrunk in the laundry.

Also, probably cheaper than going to the doctor.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Scrambles posted:

This. I lost ~60 pounds since December and it's weird that even the shirts I had left over from undergrad are too baggy to wear now :(

Easiest way to do it is to just stop loving eating. Portion sizes are so insane at restaurants that I found I just needed to stop eating anything remotely lovely and re-learn what you actually need vs. what you think you need. You've got to learn to distinguish hunger from boredom.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Joinin' in the "it's goddamn hard to lose weight reliably" club. I'm 178cm (5'10") and currently at 96kg (212lbs), which is probably the lowest I've been at since I was a teenager.

On the upside, I just squatted a new personal best at 110kg (243lbs) tonight, so at least I'm getting stronger if I'm not getting slimmer.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Baller Witness Bro posted:

This. I lost ~60 pounds since December and it's weird that even the shirts I had left over from undergrad are too baggy to wear now :(

Easiest way to do it is to just stop loving eating. Portion sizes are so insane at restaurants that I found I just needed to stop eating anything remotely lovely and re-learn what you actually need vs. what you think you need. You've got to learn to distinguish hunger from boredom.

That's retarded advice to give to everyone.
When I was in my 20s I ate gently caress all (still eat gently caress all), and in my job (HVAC at a hospital, fixed site, so carry or drag your tools and walk everywhere all day), I was still about 220lb. I even ran in the evenings and a bit of weights. IE a poo poo load of work and minimal eating. poo poo, back then I don't think I'd even been to a restaurant!
I was still pretty much over weight despite all the effort though, so I gave up. I'd rather carry extra weight and do nothing and gave up trying to lose it.
Not everyone carrying extra weight just has to stop eating so much, I don't eat much at all. Worrying about why it is so hosed that even though I exercised a lot, eat so little but still have fat in all the wrong places, did more mental harm than stopping worrying about it did.
gently caress, think yourselves lucky if all you have to do to lose weight is stop eating so goddamn much!
On an average day I don't even get hungry until about 2-3pm. The 40hr or so nil by mouths while I was in hospital on a drip are a loving breeze for me - I just want a sip of water every so often.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 6, 2015

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Back in the days of medi-fast I used that to kickstart a diet that was as low carb as possible. Over a span of 10 months, combined with frequently walking, I lost 120 lbs. But that was 8 years ago, and being married (and all the emotional turmoil that brings) I regained about 80 lbs. If I take that back off I will feel 1000% better, and I'm positioning myself to do it again. I just need to get my old routine back on track, which necessitates new habits and living where I walk everywhere. So I'm up for a challenge, AI: taking the junk out of the trunk or somesuch.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I agree that "just eat less! calories in vs calories out!" is a super disheartening, patronizing message akin to belittling people in poverty for lacking "personal responsibility." The trick to portion control is eating food with enough goddamn nutrition that you don't feel like you need to keep eating forever. When I have a healthy dinner now, I just kind of... know when I'm done, which is something I honestly didn't think was possible. Carbs and sugar grab you by the brainballs and make you guzzle more and more until you're only full from the physical mass of food in your ever-expanding gut.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
If that's to me, I eat tiny meals. I don't skip breakfast and lunch and then pig out to make up for it, I really don't have a large stomach capacity and I get reflux easily. The less I eat, the more meals I skip, the less it will take me to feel full, and I have no problem skipping meals. I laughed at the people in hospital whining and sneaking snacks during their 8 hr fast. It's a normal day for me but I couldn't believe these adults who couldn't skip a single meal and thought the world would end.
People I know laugh at me because I often can't eat two sandwiches. Back in my 20s when I didn't know how to cook I'd do mince meat or chicken with frozen veg. I didn't know what a herb, spice or sauce was, so it was plain. So bland I'd only eat half for lunch and eat the other half for dinner.
I don't get hungry much, carbs and sugar don't make me hungry, I don't have large meals *I don't eat much* and I don't understand people who eat a lot and get fat if they had the ability to cut back and lose weight.

If I did everything right, still means I'm 220lb. Not giving a gently caress means I'm drinking and not exercising, which adds another 40lb. I know that 40lb would fall off if I didn't drink, but there's no point in being a sober 220lb person that is still overweight anyway, why bother?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 6, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I've weighed around 200lbs, give or take 10 or so, for the last decade. I'm 5'9" and stocky build so I can hide it fairly well but I know it's there and I've always been self conscious about the small gut I have.

Probably gonna start watching what I eat and drinking more fluids, I was doing well for a while and got down to 185 but that was a few months ago and the winter always puts me in a funk that makes it hard to stay on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

freelop posted:

How concentrated was it?
You might want to go to hospital if it was a lot.

http://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/chlorine/basics/facts.asp

It wasn't anything too horribly bad. Removed one of the regulators from our 150lb bottle right as I was inhaling so I got enough of a dose to burn my throat for a bit and spent most of the day feeling like I had a rock on my chest, but it's cleared up now.

Re: Weight chat, i'm 6'5" and right around the 210/215lb mark. Now that the weather's warming up I really need to start walking / jogging again, and get back to doing situps to try and get rid of my fatty fatty fat fat gut.

• Locked thread