Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffman
May 21, 2004

m.hache posted:

Goons, need some opinions.

We have an old Lexmark T630 printer that acts as our workhorse:
http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=content&locale=en&productCode=LEXMARK_T630&segment=SUPPORTproductCode%253D&userlocale=EN_US&id=SO1603

Pretty much just shits out massive amounts of paper on a daily basis, and does label printing. I need a replacement. Any recommendations?

Ah, a printer I have experience repairing and supporting extensively. We just swapped the ailing 630's for t652's and ms811's.

Lexmark 652's are a newer version of the 630 and personally I find them much easier to service from a repair standpoint. Very reliable, you just need to clean the pick wheels now and again.

The 811's are newer but they seem to struggle with some of the heavier labels we used. None have broke-broke yet but fuser replacement is so easy the client could do it.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snuffman posted:

Ah, a printer I have experience repairing and supporting extensively. We just swapped the ailing 630's for t652's and ms811's.

Lexmark 652's are a newer version of the 630 and personally I find them much easier to service from a repair standpoint. Very reliable, you just need to clean the pick wheels now and again.

The 811's are newer but they seem to struggle with some of the heavier labels we used. None have broke-broke yet but fuser replacement is so easy the client could do it.

Well keeping with the Lexmark probably isn't a bad idea. I'll likely be moving away from this job in the near future so something easy to deal with is optimal.

EDIT: Looks like the 652's are discontinued. Thoughts on Lexmark MS312dn?

m.hache fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 6, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
We use and abuse the gently caress out of a vast fleet of Lexmark T654s at the moment. (I do mean abuse on the order of about 1 million pages per year). Not as many of them melt or catch on fire as I would expect given just how much we exceed their rated duty cycles.

We used to have 630s and 632s and 644s but that was like.. 3 generations ago in terms of how fast we murder printers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyways, on top of all that wasted money, I am emailed instructions on how to set it up. Some highlights:
* "Install Microsoft Teamviewer." He made it a point to reiterate that I get it from Microsoft to "avoid anything extra installing." Thanks for dumbing down the concept of malware for IT :jerkbag:
* Set up an account with administrative access with a password the same as Teamviewer's, but also have this account automatically log in.
* Turn off Windows updates immediately, without installing anything. No updates are to ever be installed.
* Don't uninstall any HP bloatware. Actually, just don't uninstall anything ever.

I set up the administrator account for our use, and did a little tweaking of some settings, and the rep flipped out about it. It's gonna be a clusterfuck.

Oh well, at least it's Wednesday.

Teamviewer isn't even a Microsoft product. They're probably using the free/trial in violation of the license.

Also, Microsoft security essentials is pretty much useless these days.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think we've settled on these two:
Lexmark CS410dn
http://www.lexmark.com/US/en/catalog/product.jsp?catId=cat170005&prodId=7607

LexMark MS312dn
http://www.lexmark.com/US/en/catalog/product.jsp?catId=cat170005&prodId=9198

Gonna replace our lovely HP color with the CS model. They support SNMP so hopefully I can get it to send out emails when it runs low on Toners to the management so they can look after it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, Lexmark actually has (Or had at one point) a release of their SNMP MIB information so pulling info from the printers using that isn't a huge pain, unlike some other vendors.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
A ticket came in...

Customer's replacement drive didn't automatically rebuild the RAID 1. Well, he got a larger drive as we didn't have the original size, that's fine and expected. Setting as a global hot spare allows that RAID to use that drive now, rebuild starts as expected

What was weird was he said he had two RAID 1s but has 6 drives...
We find that 2 of the drives are Foreign off of a RAID 10, missing the second span entirely. Customer was only ever aware of 2 RAID 1s, so he had nothing to do with this setup.
Why the hell are the 2 drives just sitting there, not even as hot spares?
Customer I worked with was just hardware suppport, so he's going to be asking his software team WTF...

EDIT: On printer chat, I don't have much expriernce, but if you like Lexmark check out Dell printers as well if you need, because that's what Dell printers are. :ssh:

EDIT 2:

evol262 posted:

No, it doesn't. MacOS has resource forks. Linux uses MIME types.

I was meaning the "doesn't use file extensions as the file type". Not quite that specific. But thanks for explaining Mac, I've rarely got the chance to use it.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 6, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lightning Jim posted:

At least Linux generally does that as well.

No, it doesn't. MacOS has resource forks. Linux uses MIME types.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Fool posted:

Teamviewer isn't even a Microsoft product. They're probably using the free/trial in violation of the license.

Also, Microsoft security essentials is pretty much useless these days.

MSE is getting decent for crypto and stuff, surprisingly. At least that's what I hear some higher ups saying.

I've actually met one of the lead guys on the MSE team in Seattle once.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

The Fool posted:

Also, every antivirus is pretty much useless these days.

True

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MSE is useless but it's still better than nothing and will at least protect you if you're a total idiot who runs NOTAVIRUS.EXE off a CD from 1998.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Luigi Thirty posted:

MSE is useless but it's still better than nothing and will at least protect you if you're a total idiot who runs NOTAVIRUS.EXE off a CD from 1998.

Actually it would probably be pretty safe to run that EXE, it was written for Windows XP and I assume any C&C servers would be long since offlined.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A ticket came in:

quote:

I wanted to reach out to see what type of security this computer had in European locaitons. I am worried about checking my financial information here due to the fact that the internet services have cookies.

Do we have protection from this with you? If you have more infomration let me know, thanks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Actually it would probably be pretty safe to run that EXE, it was written for Windows XP and I assume any C&C servers would be long since offlined.

Windows XP was released in 2001.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Fool posted:

Windows XP was released in 2001.

Godammit I knew I should have looked that up.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A ticket came in:

Ticket closed: In Europe they are called biscuits.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Security Essentials came preloaded, but he'll probably uninstall it when he sets everything up.

It can join the many XP machines we have that have non-functioning MSE on them, but I'm not allowed to install anything different on. :suicide:

"Oh, great! By the way, when Microsoft decided to audit us, where should I send the bill for the license violation fines?"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

vibur posted:

"Oh, great! By the way, when Microsoft decided to audit us, where should I send the bill for the license violation fines?"

I forgot that was a thing. Security essentials is only allowed for up to five ten users in a business environment.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 6, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

The Fool posted:

I forgot that was a thing. Security essentials is only allowed for up to five users in a business environment.

Did they decrease that? It used to be 10 when I installed it it a few years back in a business (IT'S FREE YES PLX).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gothmog1065 posted:

Did they decrease that? It used to be 10 when I installed it it a few years back in a business (IT'S FREE YES PLX).

No, I was just wrong.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

m.hache posted:

I think we've settled on these two:
Lexmark CS410dn
http://www.lexmark.com/US/en/catalog/product.jsp?catId=cat170005&prodId=7607

LexMark MS312dn
http://www.lexmark.com/US/en/catalog/product.jsp?catId=cat170005&prodId=9198

Gonna replace our lovely HP color with the CS model. They support SNMP so hopefully I can get it to send out emails when it runs low on Toners to the management so they can look after it.

If the majority of your printing isn't color I'd suggest the MS811 or 812, because the speed increase is so much greater, and maybe get one CS410dn for color stuff.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
A connection failure came in;

- Some people started to notice Salesforce loading terribly slow or not at all
- Pinging our instance is janky and leads me to believe cloud problems
- Can still load other sites fine
- In the midst of rigging some cables someone pipes up their phone just died, a few more people after
- Ran some tests on my machine, now we really have problems
- Call ISP, they do their stuff
- Boss is in today, well holy poo poo
- After time he calls up ISP and starts yelling at them
- Handover to me, somethings causing a broadcast storm making the router have a poo poo fit
- Remove latest addition, rack patch lead to new switch
- Hey presto its fixed, go back to desk
- Nearby new user's phone rings, shouldn't even be on as I disconnected the switch
- Wait a minute...

Like 10 or so minutes before all that I plugged a new 8 port PoE switch into the wall, and also into another nearby switch, then into a computer and phone. I don't even know, but nobody needs to know the truth :eng99:

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 6, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

vibur posted:

:laffo: if you think we wouldn't be sued out the rear end for license violation around here (it'll never happen). We've got MSE on everything, so probably 90+ machines. We're also running unlicensed Teamviewer on everything. And I'm almost certain there's a few computers with less-than-legit copies of Windows. I can recall at least 4 right now that don't have internet access that are constantly screaming about authentication.

Hell, our playout system for the news is a 5 versions behind beta version of Blackstorm we were doing a "trial run" on years and years ago. It doesn't check for a license and apparently doesn't have a trial period.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 6, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

:laffo: if you think we wouldn't be sued out the rear end for license violation around here (it'll never happen). We've got MSE on everything, so probably 90+ machines. We're also running unlicensed Teamviewer on everything. And I'm almost certain there's a few computers with less-than-legit copies of Windows. I can recall at least 4 right now that don't have internet access that are constantly screaming about authentication.

Hell, our playout system for the news is a 5 versions behind beta version of Blackstorm we were doing a "trial run" on years and years ago. It doesn't check for a license and apparently doesn't have a trial period.

Honestly it's probably just a matter of time.

Microsoft is auditing EVERYONE. I got hit last year and we're a company of 10 employees.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

I hope you've brought this up to your boss and have it in writing that he's said it's fine. Because when (not if) Microsoft comes a knocking, I would bet dollars to donuts he tries to throw you under the bus.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Would it be considered wrong to turn in your own company, if you could report to Microsoft in a confidential manner about the situation above? I'm just getting into the IT field and curious what the actual endgame is if you are in a situation like that. I wouldn't want to be liable or be blamed for having all that illegitimate software, so just curious if I am ever in that kind of situation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Eonwe posted:

Would it be considered wrong to turn in your own company, if you could report to Microsoft in a confidential manner about the situation above? I'm just getting into the IT field and curious what the actual endgame is if you are in a situation like that. I wouldn't want to be liable or be blamed for having all that illegitimate software, so just curious if I am ever in that kind of situation.

It's should be best practice to report license issues internally first. If management turns a blind eye, or actively encourages license violation, you probably shouldn't work there. If you feel the need to report them, Microsoft has a form.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh, completely agreed, I just meant assuming your company doesn't care/won't take action/is being cheap

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There is amnesty for reporters. You need to get in touch with someone at MS. Start with that form, provide no specific details on who you are and where you work, and provide external contact info where an auditor can reach you.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

It's should be best practice to report license issues internally first. If management turns a blind eye, or actively encourages license violation, you probably shouldn't work there. If you feel the need to report them, Microsoft has a form.

Employers will hesitate to hire if you're known for being a rat and given our current political climate towards whistleblowers...

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Employers will hesitate to hire if you're known for being a rat and given our current political climate towards whistleblowers...

That's why you do it anonymously.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
They keep advertising this whistle blower site on Hulu where you get paid. Nopiracy.org I think it was. However, you get only so much if the BSA/Software Alliance actually pursues a lawsuit and actually wins. There's a pay scale there, 15k minimum win to get paid out 5k.

You could* potentially** win*** LOTS**** of money*****!

*not
**but probably not
***Only if we sue and win
****Small timers need not apply.
*****Paid out in Bitcoins, puppies and difficulty getting a job if you get found out.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone have more detailed knowledge about how it works? I assume that after you make a report, they'll "Randomly" call up asking to verify licenses as a normal procedural thing. I doubt they'll say something like "Someone in your company ratted you out!"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gothmog1065 posted:

They keep advertising this whistle blower site on Hulu where you get paid. Nopiracy.org I think it was. However, you get only so much if the BSA/Software Alliance actually pursues a lawsuit and actually wins. There's a pay scale there, 15k minimum win to get paid out 5k.

You could* potentially** win*** LOTS**** of money*****!

*not
**but probably not
***Only if we sue and win
****Small timers need not apply.
*****Paid out in Bitcoins, puppies and difficulty getting a job if you get found out.

*Company get's randomly audited*

*Show up with a new car a week later*

What.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

m.hache posted:

*Show up with a new car a week later*

What.

Well, it could help pay for relocation costs.

My feeling is that any company that can't keep their licenses straightened out isn't worth working for. If they're cutting corners on that, what else are they cutting corners on?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

m.hache posted:

*Quietly drops huge check into Vanguard account*

Edited for those on the road to financial independence.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Well, it could help pay for relocation costs.

My feeling is that any company that can't keep their licenses straightened out isn't worth working for. If they're cutting corners on that, what else are they cutting corners on?

Sometimes it's tech incompetence though.

gently caress, when I started here I did my own audit. Half the poo poo we were using was pirated. I then bring a 30k proposed upgrade plan to the president. He nearly shat a brick and asked why.

"Yeah, the reason why your previous upgrades were cheap is because he pirated everything".

"oh..."

1 year later, Microsoft audited us and we passed.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A ticket came in:

It's really dumb that European sites are required to tell you they use cookies. This is just one reason why.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The one benefit about working for a non-profit is that while they cut corners everywhere else, we can get licenses for most of our software for free or next to nothing, so everything we have is legit. Praise Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Didn't DickTrauma report his old idiotic boss (Tony?) and his old employer way back when? Wondered what ever came of them and his reporting them.

• Locked thread