Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Hunky Joe posted:

I only found out cause my friend switched his and I kept spinning in circles on quad bikes until he finally was like "Are you using the default driving controls cause you seriously suck at driving"

It makes backing up a hundred times easier. Why they thought to use one stick only as a driving control is beyond me. At least as the default.

Seriously should be a trophy in that game for being able to drive straight forward in the hovercraft for more than five seconds though. Even changing the driving controls doesn't help those things at all. But drat if it isn't fun to run guys over in a hovercraft.

I guess the rationale is that they wanted to emphasize the shooting from vehicles stuff, so they make the vehicle controls as close to the on-foot controls as possible.

The reality is that shooting from a vehicle is dumb no matter what and the only sidearm worth carrying is the mini grenade launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I like that Far Cry 4 had a fairly good auto drive. It let me faff about while driving to the next mission. But I do remember for some reason every time I would get into the car I would throw a rock through the windshield, I feel like it was a control thing like I would want something else and would just hit throw stone for some reason.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The real crime about FC4 is that Pagan Min is criminally underused.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

kazil posted:

No he's not, he's used about as much as I'd like, considering he's pretty much the same as Handsome Jack in Borderlands 2 and we all know how hysterically funny that game is.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

ZeusCannon posted:

I like that Far Cry 4 had a fairly good auto drive. It let me faff about while driving to the next mission. But I do remember for some reason every time I would get into the car I would throw a rock through the windshield, I feel like it was a control thing like I would want something else and would just hit throw stone for some reason.

Auto drive is great except about 25% of the time the game drives on the same level, if not worse, than you. I know this is because you can set the speed and often putting it up to the max will actually do more harm than good. I've had several instances where auto drive slings me off a cliff on a hairpin turn or runs over groups of merchants/friendlies and blames me while I am checking my phone or chatting with friends.

That coupled with how the NPC civilians drive is quite honestly annoying. It is worth mentioning they will run over people when spooked by gunfire though. Managed to take out a heavy early on cause a mini bus hit him like a semi. You win some you lose some with Farcry 4.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

HaB posted:

I just wonder what possessed you - after spending an entire game literally fighting to stay alive

Spoiler tag that poo poo, please and thank you.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Lizard Wizard posted:

Spoiler tag that poo poo, please and thank you.

Spoiler what? Do you deliberately kill yourself over and over when playing Bloodborne?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mildly Amusing posted:

Spoiler what?

The details to the ending of a game that's not even two months old.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lizard Wizard posted:

The details to the ending of a game that's not even two months old.

All he said was at the end you get a choice and a lot of people make a really dumb choice. If you've played other souls games you already know that's going to happen.

He didn't explain the actual plot that happens after it at all. :v: Not really a spoiler.
Its like saying "There is a final boss in bloodborne" oh poo poo, really?

Well, I guess if you really read into it old man is kiiiiinda a spoiler.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

All he said was at the end you get a choice and a lot of people make a really dumb choice. If you've played other souls games you already know that's going to happen.

They said a good deal more than that.

A lot of people on this forum in general are really terrible about marking spoilers. It's not a horrible thing but it's kind of dumb when it takes all of two words to spoiler tag your post.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Kruller posted:

It's Longinus' lips that do it for me. They're gross, and he's always so loving close to the camera. Honestly, most of the side characters need to shut the gently caress up and let me get back to shooting things in the dick. Except Pagan. He's awesome.

I really wish there was a third option where you become bros with Pagan and he's like "hey will you go gently caress up these rear end in a top hat that are tearing my country up?" In a continuation of the hidden ending.

That'd be pretty rad.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I admit to loving Bioware games but I wish they'd just quit with the whole importing events from prior games. Because it rarely means poo poo and often actively ignores what you did in past games. They may as well just pick their own goddamn canon each time.

My Dragon Age: Origins character was an unrepentant psychopath who mostly just used his crusade against the Darkspawn as an excuse to rape and pillage across Thedas. Since he was kind of the worlds only hope and all, so who's going to stop him? He did eventually sacrifice himself at the end, but in my head-canon it was mostly so he wouldn't have to face justice for all the war crimes he'd committed during the Blight.

Well in Dragon Age: Inquistion any time Leiliana or Morrigan bring him up they praise him as a great hero and express deep sadness and regret at his passing. Hell, Leiliana actually quit over my characters shenanigans and I had mostly forgotten she was even in the first game. By all accounts they should be cursing his name.

I've chosen to establish head-canon that it's just the whole "don't speak ill of the dead" thing, since he did sorta stop the end of the world and it wouldn't do Thedas any good to badmouth the Hero of Ferelden. But it's still really jarring that every time he comes up he's referred to like he's the greatest man who ever lived and the world is a worse place for his passing.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Esroc posted:

I've chosen to establish head-canon that it's just the whole "don't speak ill of the dead" thing, since he did sorta stop the end of the world and it wouldn't do Thedas any good to badmouth the Hero of Ferelden. But it's still really jarring that every time he comes up he's referred to like he's the greatest man who ever lived and the world is a worse place for his passing.

The only time I enjoyed that feature is when you find out that Alistar ends up being a fat, useless drunk who cries into his beer about how he was totally going to be king before your special snowflake character usurped him and put his loving rear end in a top hat uncle in power instead. Or whatever that option was. Most of the time though they just do some sort of superficial "weeeeh we remembered your Hawke was a dude!" thing.

The one that pissed me off the most was the Rachni Queen. In Mass Effect you find space bugs where the queen is being held hostage and her children can't hivemind with her, so that's why they're going nuts and eating everyone. You can choose to free her and she claims she'll help you in the future. In the second game you actually get an npc that shows up that simply tells you she's doing well and hiding in space without causing any problem. Third game she gets enslaved and you have to kill her babies again. But what if you killed her in the first game? Oh, well, they found a random one floating in space and enslaved that one.

What the gently caress Bioware.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The one that pissed me off the most was the Rachni Queen. In Mass Effect you find space bugs where the queen is being held hostage and her children can't hivemind with her, so that's why they're going nuts and eating everyone. You can choose to free her and she claims she'll help you in the future. In the second game you actually get an npc that shows up that simply tells you she's doing well and hiding in space without causing any problem. Third game she gets enslaved and you have to kill her babies again. But what if you killed her in the first game? Oh, well, they found a random one floating in space and enslaved that one.

What the gently caress Bioware.
That's not what happens. If you save her in ME1, you have the option to free her again in ME3, and she'll help your forces. If you let her die in ME1, the reapers bioengineer a new, insane rachni queen. You also have the option to free the new rachni queen, and at first she helps the war effort, then betrays you and makes you lose a bunch of war preparedness. If you let them both die in ME3 it might turn out the same either way, I'm not sure.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I have never finished a Bioware game despite them really hitting all the things I'm looking for in a game. I really need to get back into Mass Effect, I've started it like four times now and the furthest I've gotten was the plant thing boss.

Is Dragon Age Origins still worth playing? I got the second one on PS3 for like two dollars and while I knew going into it that it was universally loathed and I'd never finish it anyways it has been a great "hit monsters and be a dick to your whiny idiot brother while drinking when you're bored" game.

I don't know what it is about Bioware games, though. Big dumb space operas and action RPGs are both things I love dearly, but see above re: Mass Effect. Something about them never really clicks with me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you've only tried mass effect 1, then try 2. It's better in nearly every way and I don't think I could make myself go back to 1 anymore.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I played through both 1 and 2 to prepare for 3 when It came out, and they both have their strengths. 1 had a more compelling and I'd say unique story. The thorian?! What?! Rachni!? Hell yeah. Cool stuff that actually matter. Plus the Mako.

But....the interface between 1 and 2, good god. It's almost impenetrable after going to 2. Still, I'd say finish 1 before doing 2. You'll be glad you did.

Content: Trying Heroes of the Storm. It's neat, but why is everything so drat expensive. It's like they neeeeeed me to spend money on this supposedly f2p game and it gets in the way of any enjoyment with all the gating.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Jastiger posted:

Content: Trying Heroes of the Storm. It's neat, but why is everything so drat expensive. It's like they neeeeeed me to spend money on this supposedly f2p game and it gets in the way of any enjoyment with all the gating.

This is true of almost every F2P game except Smite, which actually does the sensible thing and lets you play $30 to unlock all the dudes and then everything else is just cosmetic.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bewilderment posted:

This is true of almost every F2P game except Smite, which actually does the sensible thing and lets you play $30 to unlock all the dudes and then everything else is just cosmetic.
l

Ehhhh . Dota 2 is free. And even league of legends has a better play to own ratio than this. Hots us just worse about it

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

A mission in Chroma Squad (Sentai/PR simulator/strategy game) is annoying as gently caress:

You start with five characters, but two leave early on. One of them is a major damage-dealer for you. With the remaining Spandex Punchmans you have, you're tasked with defeating a boss who has three salient traits:

All right, I did this mission about an hour ago. Let me articulate my thoughts.

MisterBibs posted:

- High HP / Armored

That's most bosses in the game. You pretty much have to use specials or team attacks on bosses to do significant damage, so don't act like this was an exception.

MisterBibs posted:

- Has a strong knockback move that can and will push you back at least 1 or 2 turns movement away

This is valid. You have the Techie for this mission. He or she is more than capable of teleporting to the boss if you're using the right tier 2 ability, and he or she will probably be able to snipe the boss if he or she is using a rifle, which you may or may not be using because the game doesn't make it clear that they have crazy range. But your Assist should almost certainly be using a bow by this point, and that should be enough for you to get some hits in, especially if you do some acrobatics.

quote:

- Spawns 3/4 clones of itself

Oh, and you really don't have multi-target attacks on any of your three Punchmans that you can consistently do. Hope you have enough money to buy specific gear for one fight, which I'm not sure I have!

Your Assault can actually do his or her multi-target attack pretty consistently, but that's only if you've been stacking Skill Regen. For those who don't play Chroma Squad, skills have a fixed cooldown, which you can reduce by increasing your Rangers'punchmans' Skill Regen stat. Having Skill Regen is pretty key, as it lets your punchmans do their effective attacks more often. As with rifles, though, the game doesn't really tell you what Skill Regen does. So the thing dragging Chroma Squad down is essentially not enough tutorializing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

kazil posted:

I wished they'd used the two drug guys a lot less.

Also, why add mini-helicopters, set an arbitrary height limit, and have insta-kill punishments as a result? Some areas get to be quite far from fast-travel spots so it gets annoying real fast.

And, of course, gently caress eagles. If it didn't take away your controls and force you to watch the same 5-second clip it would be bearable. As it stands, nothing is more enjoyable than using the MG3/MG42 to slaughter them out of the sky. Timed mission, random exploration, whatever, gently caress eagles forever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Shangri-La stuff in FC4 just goes on for way too long. Its what, five levels? And it really wears out its welcome by the third time.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

If you've only tried mass effect 1, then try 2. It's better in nearly every way and I don't think I could make myself go back to 1 anymore.

ME1 has a lot of bad mechanics that they put in there just because it was an RPG. Stuff that just doesn't make sense for the setting like you having to buy armor and weapons for your party. Although one change I wasn't too fond of was the "heat clip" ammo thing they did after 1.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 12:24 on May 7, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Most ME1 inventory management:
Turn into Omnigel
Turn into Omnigel
Turn into Omnigel
Turn into Omnigel
Turn into Omnigel
Have a supertanker of Omnigel on your person.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

muscles like this? posted:

The Shangri-La stuff in FC4 just goes on for way too long. Its what, five levels? And it really wears out its welcome by the third time.

you only need to do it... once? I think? Maybe twice.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

RBA Starblade posted:

And also the hammerhead sucks and the mako rules.

Jastiger posted:

Hell yeah. Cool stuff that actually matter. Plus the Mako.
I am finally getting around to playing Mass Effect and the Mako has so far been my least favorite thing about it. I hate driving over these stupid hilly rear end planets. And you are to tell me that the option in the next two games are worst?

gently caress.

VVVV EDIT: Oh thank heavens.

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 12:41 on May 7, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, they get rid of the driving around the planet part completely. One of the DLCs for 2 has kind of a throwback where you do that stuff but its in the new vehicle.

The Iron Rose posted:

you only need to do it... once? I think? Maybe twice.

They still could have cut it down.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Saints Row IV is the best mass effect game

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Vindolanda posted:

Saints Row IV is the best mass effect game
This is pretty much correct. Saints Row IV is the gaming equivalent of Airplane! and it's parody of the Mass Effect series is pretty great.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Sardonik posted:

This is pretty much correct. Saints Row IV is the gaming equivalent of Airplane! and it's parody of the Mass Effect series is pretty great.

It had much better romance options/sex scenes too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Can I play SR4 without playing the previous games and still enjoy the full Saints Row Experience?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Can I play SR4 without playing the previous games and still enjoy the full Saints Row Experience?

Not really, a lot of stuff that's going on pretty much requires you to know stuff from all the way back in the first game.

Edit: One thing that's kind of bad about 4 is there are some bits where they obviously just didn't have a lot of money. Like there's a part where Julius is talking about the Boss and he pronounces "Playa" the wrong way.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 14:47 on May 7, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

RyokoTK posted:

I would say no, because SR4 is very self-referential. True to the Mass Effect comparison, it pulls a lot of loose ends and returning characters from the older games in some way or another, so you wouldn't really get it a lot of the time if you haven't played the other games.

The gameplay doesn't need that at all, and I'm sure you can pick up some of it from context, to the point where SR4's still a great thing to pick up even if you haven't played any of the first three. It's by no means impossible to jump on the bandwagon with IV, and it's probably the best Saint's Row game, or at least tied for first.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
If you play 3 you can jump straight into 4 for the most part. I played 3 then 4 then started 2 looking for more and the story in 2 gives me more insight than I had but 3 still gives you more than enough to get what's going on in 4, especially the big stuff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RyokoTK posted:

If you want to get the most from it, watch LPs of the first two or three games. But it's not necessary to do that just to enjoy the game. There are lots of references to the earlier games but, that's not all the game has going for it by a long way.

I'd recommend Gat Out of Hell though as the best one to get at this point. The gameplay is fairly similar to SR4, but just a little bit better. Saints Row 2 is still my favourite, but it really shows its age.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I played 4 first and had a blast, but some of the humor was lost because it's a love letter to the entire series. Then I went and played 3, watched most of an LP of 2 and went back and did an LP myself for 4 and it was a lot more fun knowing more of the series' history.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The opening narration for SR4 is a barely-veiled reference to how the series was originally perceived as a lovely GTA clone, came into its own in SR2, but had the weird tonal dissonance that dragged down SR3. So that should give you an idea of what kind of game SR4 is.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Also if your resolution is set too high you can't pass one part of SR4. So that's a thing that drags it down. Easy fix though

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That spaceship part early on in the game? I think they fixed that.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

That spaceship part early on in the game? I think they fixed that.

Not for me playing the steam version yesterday. It's literally the smallest deal though, otherwise it's the best game. The best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

World Famous Whore posted:

I am finally getting around to playing Mass Effect and the Mako has so far been my least favorite thing about it. I hate driving over these stupid hilly rear end planets. And you are to tell me that the option in the next two games are worst?

gently caress.

The Mako seemed specifically programmed to tip over almost constantly. It's like they didn't bother to test that part of the game.